Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I did something similar using a cursed item set in a campaign. The cursed set was very, very powerful, and I gave it a hidden counter for every enemy slain while using the sword, as well as for time passed and how many items there were. Whenever they hit 100 on my hidden counter, the set would awaken, and engulf the person wearing it, gaining all their class features, all the features of the set of items, and additional stats from the dark power. The player who was stuck inside the set got to make actions based on trying to escape it, while all their allies had to fight a set of armor + magical evil weapon, without hurting their friend.

My group was dumb enough that after it happened once, they decided 'hm, well, we handled it this time, and the stats are REALLY good.... lets just put it all back on'.

The next time it happened, I buffed its stats majorly and almost TPK'd them, which finally made them go 'you know, maybe we should try and purify this evil soul infested armor, instead of just using it to be murder hobos'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Vengarr posted:

I'd like to have a twist at the end of my next dungeon. The party comes in to the final room, a large mausoleum, to find it absolutely gob-smackingly full of bones and gibs. On top of the center-most pile of bones is a decayed skeleton grasping a greatsword. Its dark aura is palpable and pulsates with malice like a heartbeat.

Now, my party being what it is, one of them is definitely going to grab this doomblade. That person will be possessed by the sword and given the flaw "Elves must be slain immediately, wherever and whenever they are encountered." Two of the party are half-elves, so...boss battle! (if one of the half-elves grabs it, the sword won't immediately recognize them as elves because of their half-human blood).

That person will be the boss of the dungeon, get extra turns and so on. They stay in control of their character, but I'm playing the sword. So if they try to do something contrary to the Elf-Slaying Prime Directive on one of their turns, they have to roll to resist the sword's control.

Good idea or nah? If none of them pulls it, they get to fight a Bone Collective and an endless horde of skeletons instead.

Nothing about any of that sounds fun to me.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Yeah, I think you'd do better to have the sword straight-up possess them, rather than put a player in that situation.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
I know my group would try to weaponize it.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I'd just have the sword summon an evil duplicate of whoever picks it up and avoid both the pvp and the taking the wheel from players, while still having something of a memorable gimmick fight.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
when the curse triggers, the party has to fight the PC (controlled by you). the PC's soul is trapped in the sword, where the PC's soul fights against a soul duplicate of themself. the soul dupe shares HP with the PC's corporeal body that the rest of the party is beating on. once the possessed PC is beaten into unconsciousness, the PC's good soul can kill the evil soul and take over again.

that solves the problem of benching a player, the possible personal friction from PVP, and removes the "you die no save" quality of the trap.

it's also a total ripoff of a WOW raid and i

don't

give

a

poo poo

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Scyther posted:

I'd just have the sword summon an evil duplicate of whoever picks it up and avoid both the pvp and the taking the wheel from players, while still having something of a memorable gimmick fight.

Add to that, the PC who grabbed the sword can't drop it; hidden win condition that if the sword is knocked out of their hand (disarm, incapacitation + kicking it away) the doppelgänger disappears.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Cease to Hope posted:

when the curse triggers, the party has to fight the PC (controlled by you). the PC's soul is trapped in the sword, where the PC's soul fights against a soul duplicate of themself. the soul dupe shares HP with the PC's corporeal body that the rest of the party is beating on. once the possessed PC is beaten into unconsciousness, the PC's good soul can kill the evil soul and take over again.

that solves the problem of benching a player, the possible personal friction from PVP, and removes the "you die no save" quality of the trap.

it's also a total ripoff of a WOW raid and i

don't

give

a

poo poo

This is also good. I think a little PVP is fine though, we're all friends and it wouldn't be a problem even if characters dropped dead. It'd probably be memorable as hell, really, and I'd say 4/5ths of the party would enjoy controlling a boss and getting to wreck poo poo.

My standard policy is that if you grab the Sword of Obvious Doom from atop the pile of corpses, you already failed your saving throw for Thinking poo poo Through.

mastershakeman posted:

half elves aren't elves so sounds like they get a sweet sword that's cool until they actually meet an elf

Since when have "half-elves" not been comprised of 50% elf?

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Mar 26, 2017

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Scyther posted:

make sure to sell the players on the idea that if they lose, doppledude becomes a real boy

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Vengarr posted:

This is also good. I think a little PVP is fine though, we're all friends and it wouldn't be a problem even if characters dropped dead. It'd probably be memorable as hell, really, and I'd say 4/5ths of the party would enjoy controlling a boss and getting to wreck poo poo.

With any luck, the person who picks up said sword isn't the 1/5th

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Help me make sure I understand this right -- If you're a full caster + Warlock multiclass, you just bolt your Pact Magic slots onto your other caster slots and either can be used for casting any of your spells? Also, is there any credible reason to slap Undying Light Warlock into Light Cleric other than double-dipping on WIS + CHA modifiers to your spell damage? I figure lock probably isn't worth it but it's neat.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 26, 2017

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
The 3.5 Rod of Ropes and the 4e Portable Hole are both really, really good items.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

ProfessorCirno posted:

The 3.5 Rod of Ropes and the 4e Portable Hole are both really, really good items.

Wasn't there some weird thing about the 4e portable hole, where there was a portable hole magic item and a TRUE portable hole, or something?

I'm always a fan of things that let you communicate long distance. 4e sending stones and the like. Walkie Talkies.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Vengarr posted:

Since when have "half-elves" not been comprised of 50% elf?

you didn't say 50% elf. you said elf.

we've actually had this come up before in our games and you'd better be ready for your players to argue

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
the sword installs unstoppable, bloodthirsty rage against elves

and an unfortunate tendency to deny housing or services to half elves

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

mastershakeman posted:

you didn't say 50% elf. you said elf.

we've actually had this come up before in our games and you'd better be ready for your players to argue

This depends entirely on whether or not you think elves are digital or analog. And of course, if you say elves are digital, well, we're playing Shadowrun.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Scyther posted:

This actually the gimmick of a room in the Hidden Shine of Tamochan. Just with more deception.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 26, 2017

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Wasn't there some weird thing about the 4e portable hole, where there was a portable hole magic item and a TRUE portable hole, or something?

The 4e portable hole is an actual hole. You put it on one side of a wall and it opens to the other side.

This isn't as lord copy/paste decreed. The old portable is a reskinned bag of holding. Truth for Mike Mearls is less work.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Bar Crow posted:

The 4e portable hole is an actual hole. You put it on one side of a wall and it opens to the other side.

This isn't as lord copy/paste decreed. The old portable is a reskinned bag of holding. Truth for Mike Mearls is less work.

What if you put it on a person?

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

piL posted:

What if you put it on a person?

Depends on the version. Either there's an magical hole passing through a person without their guts leaking out or its a bag of holding as per bag of holding.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Forgotten Realms geography needs better resources than you can easily dig up on Google. Like let me search for a city name and it points it out on the globe so I can see where it is vs. the Sword Coast.

Lacking that, anyone got a far southern region near or along the west coast where one might find a village of Hill Dwarves?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I'm always a fan of things that let you communicate long distance. 4e sending stones and the like. Walkie Talkies.

YEP.

The 4e portable hole was literlaly that - an ACME Looney Tunes style portable hole.

Then Mearls took over 4e, made a book of magic items, and in it was an item called I poo poo you not "True Portal Hole" which was the old boring kind which is just a slightly better bag of holding.

Because he's hilariously petty and small minded (on top of many, many other things).

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Forgotten Realms geography needs better resources than you can easily dig up on Google. Like let me search for a city name and it points it out on the globe so I can see where it is vs. the Sword Coast.

Lacking that, anyone got a far southern region near or along the west coast where one might find a village of Hill Dwarves?
Looking at the Gold/Hill dwarf entry up. This is what it says in the sword coast adventure guide.

Lots of them would have likely traveled outwards so you could probably put a village anywhere in the south area. A area near baldur's gate would probably work.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
EDIT: Oh for gently caress's sake the map for the Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan is the exact copy-paste of the 4th Edition remake

Gharbad the Weak posted:

"I'm not owned! I'm not owned!", I continue to insist as I slowly shrink and transform into a grognard

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 27, 2017

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

How is a cartoon-style portable hole even a thing to be petty about?

I feel like I'm missing out on some history here.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

The history you're missing out on is D&D grognards are historically giant manbabies about anything.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Bad Seafood posted:

Portable hole from the 3e DMG:

Basically Mearls turned it back to what it used to be (because he is petty and wanted to pander to grogs)

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

kingcom posted:

The history you're missing out on is D&D grognards are historically giant manbabies about anything.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Portable hole from the 3e DMG:

Basically Mearls turned it back to what it used to be (because he is petty and wanted to pander to grogs)
Huh, weird.

I remember coming across the 5e Portable Hole while flipping through my friend's copy of the Dungeon Master's Guide and thinking it was just a less practical Bag of Holding with a larger carrying capacity. It was weird to me since, when I first saw the name, I expected a Looney Tunes-style product (which I'm glad to know existed at one point).

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

Looking at the Gold/Hill dwarf entry up. This is what it says in the sword coast adventure guide.

Lots of them would have likely traveled outwards so you could probably put a village anywhere in the south area. A area near baldur's gate would probably work.

Sweet. I knew those guys existed but I didn't realize they fit pretty much right where I need them to. (I got a Tempest Cleric who's traveling along the coast northward on a pilgrimage to find an ancient bronze dragon because holy gently caress none of the offerings we're giving to Umberlee are protecting our goddamn boats, what the gently caress happened to our town). So this is perfect, thanks!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Bad Seafood posted:

Huh, weird.

I remember coming across the 5e Portable Hole while flipping through my friend's copy of the Dungeon Master's Guide and thinking it was just a less practical Bag of Holding with a larger carrying capacity. It was weird to me since, when I first saw the name, I expected a Looney Tunes-style product (which I'm glad to know existed at one point).

Yeah, Mearls hated 4e and, when he was put in charge of it, added as much as 3.x style stuff as he could before the edition reached its end.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Help me make sure I understand this right -- If you're a full caster + Warlock multiclass, you just bolt your Pact Magic slots onto your other caster slots and either can be used for casting any of your spells? Also, is there any credible reason to slap Undying Light Warlock into Light Cleric other than double-dipping on WIS + CHA modifiers to your spell damage? I figure lock probably isn't worth it but it's neat.

Yes
and UA classes aren't meant to multiclass, but if allowed and you rolled really high Charisma it might be worth??

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Conspiratiorist posted:

Yes
and UA classes aren't meant to multiclass, but if allowed and you rolled really high Charisma it might be worth??

Lol, what? Why not?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

AlphaDog posted:

Lol, what? Why not?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Pretty sure that just means the classes and subtypes rolled out by UA aren't balanced for multiclassing; and hey, neither are the core classes, so go nuts.

Kibner posted:

Yeah, Mearls hated 4e and, when he was put in charge of it, added as much as 3.x style stuff as he could before the edition reached its end.
Still kinda strange to me. I can kinda sorta understand him having some beef with the mechanics or whatever (not that I'd know the first thing about what that beef might be), but coming down on a random, fairly inconsequential item seems like overkill.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Mar 27, 2017

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Bad Seafood posted:

Pretty sure that just means the classes and subtypes rolled out by UA aren't balanced for multiclassing; and hey, neither are the core classes, so go nuts.
Still kinda strange to me. I can kinda sorta understand him having some beef with the mechanics or whatever (not that I'd know the first thing about what that beef might be), but coming down on a random, fairly inconsequential item seems like overkill.

oh it wasn't just one item.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Bad Seafood posted:

I don't think you fully understand the extent of the nerd rage about 4th ed not being "really D&D".

Like, you think the math nitpicking in this thread is sometimes a bit extreme, but stuff like "portable hole works differently now" produced a whole other level of complaining.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Mar 27, 2017

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Elfgames posted:

oh it wasn't just one item.

AlphaDog posted:

I don't think you fully understand the extent of the nerd rage about 4th ed not being "real D&D" and all the nitpicky poo poo people came up with to justify their bullshit.
Okay, I wanna know how far down this rabbit hole goes.

Gonna be up for most of the night anyway hammering out this thing I'm working on. Should be good for a break and some laughs.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Bad Seafood posted:

Okay, I wanna know how far down this rabbit hole goes.

Gonna be up for most of the night anyway hammering out this thing I'm working on. Should be good for a break and some laughs.

Eh, you quoted me before I edited.

Look up the changes to Magic Missile from release to (I think) the first errata. It's not really D&D, you see, if Magic Missile isn't an auto-hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

It's just especially ridiculous to me because there's totally room in this game for two different magical items that do two different things without having them both vy for the same position. You can totally have your ACME cartoon hole and your extradimensional hankerchief without sticking the word "True" on there like it's some kind of battle for legitimacy.

I'd imagine the Magic Missile thing is at least a concern in that changing how the spell works changes how it's utilized, which is at least a mechanial concern, though I'm sure people still blew it way out of proportion because that's a thing we do.