Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It was on Saturday nights for a long time on Comedy Central and the Sci-fi Channel. Weeknights at midnight was where I found it as a teen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

New Comedy Central episodes were Saturdays at 7, but yeah they aired all the time, probably most well known was their Monday-Friday midnight time slots.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Ballz posted:

New Comedy Central episodes were Saturdays at 7, but yeah they aired all the time, probably most well known was their Monday-Friday midnight time slots.

When I started watching the show, it was during season 6, and nearly all of my tape collection is from that M-F midnight slot.

I can still hum the Playboy Playmates video commercial music from heart...

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Ballz posted:

When Sci Fi got it they ran it Saturday mornings, Saturday evenings, and Sunday late nights. I think they might've dropped Saturday evenings at one point. Where they premiered the episodes would shuffle. For a while it was Saturday evenings, but I believe in season 10 Sunday late night became the new episode slot.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm five episodes away from completing the full rewatch. I'm going to finish before the show airs after all. :munch:

I like the Sci Fi era Mads a lot more in that last season. I remember Hamlet being pretty unwatchable, but the intro sketch was amusing, at least. I guess I'll probably be done by about Thursday at the latest, which gives me a solid two weeks of waking up every day and saying "I wish MST3K was back on the air" before my wish will come true.

At least the most dreary Shakespeare adaptation will be broken up for about an hour at 8:00 so my wife can watch her show.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

The Girl in lovers lane is to depressing to watch. Boy, poor Big stupid just couldn't catch a break.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

thelaughingman posted:

The Girl in lovers lane is to depressing to watch. Boy, poor Big stupid just couldn't catch a break.

I remember a bit from the Amazing Colossal Episode Guide where they were really mad at the ending of that film.

Who's dumber: the kid from Girl In Lovers Lane who isn't Big Stupid (who I think is named Danny), or James Wilson, essayist in I Accuse My Parents?

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I raise you the big lipped kid from High School Big Shot, my favorite episode for the pure schadenfreude.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Depressing Dad!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Compendium posted:

I raise you the big lipped kid from High School Big Shot, my favorite episode for the pure schadenfreude.

Yeah, that guy's whole life was just a cavalcade of bad choices.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
The biggest sin of the Sci-Fi era is that despite almost all of the episodes being instant classics, the execs would very very rarely let them venture outside of the Sci-Fi or Fantasy realms. That really sucked because my favorite episodes were always the insane 50's era melodramas.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

OldTennisCourt posted:

The biggest sin of the Sci-Fi era is that despite almost all of the episodes being instant classics, the execs would very very rarely let them venture outside of the Sci-Fi or Fantasy realms. That really sucked because my favorite episodes were always the insane 50's era melodramas.

I totally agree. It's like I like all the episodes nobody else is into, while everyone loses their poo poo over Space Mutiny for the billionth time

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I mean, Space Mutiny is great but yeah, tons of lesser-celebrated eps are just as good.

I am The Brute Man's greatest advocate.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
:tipshat: "Hi Creeper."

:zombie: "Hi person."

That bit gives me a giggle every time, alongside the crotchety shopkeeper who HATES his poor clerk.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gozinbulx posted:

I mean, Space Mutiny is great but yeah, tons of lesser-celebrated eps are just as good.

I am The Brute Man's greatest advocate.
The Brute Man is a classic to me. Along with Chicken of Tomorrow.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

The Ape of Naples posted:

The Brute Man is a classic to me. Along with Chicken of Tomorrow.

"Special photography" my rear end.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

OldTennisCourt posted:

my favorite episodes were always the insane 50's era melodramas.

Me too. And the more teen panic the better.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
The Ed Wood movies always have this unique style of casting to them, and somehow 95% less oily than anyone Ray Dennis Steckler would hire.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

OldTennisCourt posted:

I'm ok with it for two reasons; viciously destroying sci-fi movies in particular is clearly Mike's forte, and a lot of the 50's melodramas and teen panic films are stuffed with filler that even the riffs are barely able to cover. With a lovely sci-fi film, there's usually something visually interesting to keep the audience interested between riffs. Not so with melodramas.

Artsygrrl posted:

The Ed Wood movies always have this unique style of casting to them, and somehow 95% less oily than anyone Ray Dennis Steckler would hire.

"Bela, Tor, are you guys free this weekend? I have an amazing picture to shoot!"

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
They revealed the secret live riff for August, Its going to be The Five Doctors.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Artsygrrl posted:

:tipshat: "Hi Creeper."

:zombie: "Hi person."

That bit gives me a giggle every time, alongside the crotchety shopkeeper who HATES his poor clerk.

On the DVD for the MST3K Reunion, there's a Q&A press conference where someone asked about performances from the movies that the riffers genuinely enjoy. Mike was more than happy to talk about that shopkeeper.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

livingfruitvirus posted:

When Sci Fi got it they ran it Saturday mornings, Saturday evenings, and Sunday late nights. I think they might've dropped Saturday evenings at one point. Where they premiered the episodes would shuffle. For a while it was Saturday evenings, but I believe in season 10 Sunday late night became the new episode slot.

I remember it being Saturday morning debuts and Saturday evening slots right to the end. Never knew it was on Sunday.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yeah, I'm close to positive it was Saturdays for the original airdates, because I remember being furious that I had to miss most of the last season until it reran.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

The final season aired Sundays at 11pm. I would record them, then rush home from school Monday afternoon to watch them.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, I'm close to positive it was Saturdays for the original airdates, because I remember being furious that I had to miss most of the last season until it reran.

I wanna say it came on at 10am and the repeat at six or eight.

The exception was Gorgo which was only shown on Saturday due to rights issues.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

egon_beeblebrox posted:

The final season aired Sundays at 11pm. I would record them, then rush home from school Monday afternoon to watch them.

This is impossible and clearly you live in the Berenstain Bears universe. I swear that my Saturday commitments made me miss portions of the last season as it aired.

Memory is weeeeeiiiiiird.

e: I have two episodes left. It's time for my favorite short!

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 28, 2017

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Can confirm that at least some of the last season aired at 11PM on Sunday. I remember taping Soultaker and getting up really early before school and watching just the host segments before school because I was excited to see Joel and Frank back.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Mister Kingdom posted:

The exception was Gorgo which was only shown on Saturday due to rights issues.

Gorgo's one of my favorite episodes; is the fact that it got so little airtime a factor in it being relatively low on most rankings lists, or do people just not find it that funny? Maybe part of it is that I also like Gorgo as a film, I dunno.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
They had the MST Hour too, IIRC, which aired on regular tv. I get the feeling I saw it at some point, but IDK

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

They had the MST Hour too, IIRC, which aired on regular tv. I get the feeling I saw it at some point, but IDK

I hated the hell outta those cut down hour long episodes. I know why they did it. It was a desperation move, but to the fans it was drat weird seeing parts of an episode that already had parts of a movie in it.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Speaking of Ed Wood, I'm watching The Sinister Urge and I literally just noticed that there are posters of his other movies in the background, most notably The Violent Years.

I love you Ed just as much as MST3K loved you.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Bride of The Monster is definitely in my top 10. I wonder why they never did Plan 9. Too obvious a choice?

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
They tend to do movies that don't have a lot of entertainment value on their own. Things you can watch, even ironically, without them don't tend to be in their wheelhouse. There are better or worse films they've done, but that seems to be the general pattern.

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
If we're talking underrated episodes, I always felt that Riding With Death should be on more people's lists.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

The Lobotomy Kid posted:

If we're talking underrated episodes, I always felt that Riding With Death should be on more people's lists.

It's one of my all-time favorites, and probably the episode I've watched the most times from the Sci-Fi years.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Diabolik900 posted:

It's one of my all-time favorites, and probably the episode I've watched the most times from the Sci-Fi years.

Same here. I love me some Riding with Death. I kinda like Codename:Diamondhead too. It's in the same vein.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

HannibalBarca posted:

Gorgo's one of my favorite episodes; is the fact that it got so little airtime a factor in it being relatively low on most rankings lists, or do people just not find it that funny? Maybe part of it is that I also like Gorgo as a film, I dunno.

Gorgo is a fun movie, I don't think it takes itself too seriously and none of the riffs struck me as particularly mean spirited. I thought the scenes of destruction at the end were fun, too.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

The Lobotomy Kid posted:

Many years ago I watched it with a group of friends including one brand new acquaintance whose name was Ben Murphy.

We were howling laughing. "Lucky guy, he's about to find out I'm Ben Murphy."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I finished my rewatch and now I'm mad that there's no MST3K, which I will have to endure for a full two weeks and three days.