Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I am sad there's no throws in this - that'd be way more fun than stamina draining or that one dual swords move for guard-breaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I wish I could set block to r1 while r1 and r2 were attacks. It's ingrained to spam l1 to block from dark souls.

Game is hard as gently caress.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

vandalism posted:

I wish I could set block to r1 while r1 and r2 were attacks. It's ingrained to spam l1 to block from dark souls.

Game is hard as gently caress.

It's actually l1 by default, but that makes attack square and triangle. I started out remapping attacks to r1 and r2 but square and triangle actually work a lot better in this one, so I went back. It's very jarring to have stance change options not on the same buttons as your attacks. I would recommend adapting to square and triangle for that reason.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

CJacobs posted:

If you could do wrestling moves on enemies a la No More Heroes this game would have the best combat in any third person action game ever.

I already think Nioh has the best combat of any third person action game, at least among the games I've played of course. What surpasses this, in your opinion? Genuinely curious

(Bayonetta and the DMC games are tied for second in my mind, Bloodborne third. Godhand comes to mind as one I've never played but have heard people wax poetic about how good its combat is)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Unfinish3d posted:

I already think Nioh has the best combat of any third person action game, at least among the games I've played of course. What surpasses this, in your opinion? Genuinely curious

(Bayonetta and the DMC games are tied for second in my mind, Bloodborne third. Godhand comes to mind as one I've never played but have heard people wax poetic about how good its combat is)
Godhand is worth grabbing on an emulator or something, it's pretty great if juvenile. It's hard for me to put into words what makes combat feel good in a game like this - Bayonetta feels worlds better than DMC for example. Bloodborne is probably still my favorite but nioh is up there, for sure.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Everyone freak out now you can pause! https://twitter.com/waypoint/status/845389261893447680

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Unfinish3d posted:

Bloodborne beats it imo. The complexity of the combat movesets in Nioh is fun but I think Bloodborne is a testament to how simplicity can be equally valid. I don't think Nioh capitalizes on all the versatility very well, it just dumps it in your lap and says "well here you go".

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
One very major change - elemental shots actually do serious damage now. Mine have gone from doing a few hundred a hit (if that) to doing a couple of thousand.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

The season pass is on sale today.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hVtlHzL--Y

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

The season pass is on sale today.

It's be nice to know what exactly the content was and how much.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yodzilla posted:

It's be nice to know what exactly the content was and how much.
Yep, I bought it anyway though because this game is cool as hell.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I think the default controls are much better than the souls controls for this game. Stance switching with r1 is real slick.

The real reason I wanted to come post was I was watching Man at Arms: Reforged on youtube and they have an episode where they make the Hattori Hanzo sword from Kill Bill using traditional techniques. It's really cool. And you get to see what tamahagane actually is and how the smith turns it into a blade.

Darth Walrus posted:

One very major change - elemental shots actually do serious damage now. Mine have gone from doing a few hundred a hit (if that) to doing a couple of thousand.

Holy gently caress!

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Bought this because of the sale. Holy gently caress this game is good. Action mode on the pro is lovely.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yikes, new missions don't gently caress around.

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008
Is an iga ninja set not good for NG+? Everyone I come across has the red demon armor.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Iga Ninja's great if you're using a lot of Ninjitsu - absolutely fantastic if you have the set's Kusa, as that has its strongest scaling with dexterity. Thing is absolutely ridiculous in DPS.

Red Demon's common because it's very general purpose.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Got to the last region in the game awhile back and everything is almost killing me in 2 hits. Been soul matching my red demon set so it doesn't fall too behind.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

Yikes, new missions don't gently caress around.

Crusher badge looks basically impossible for most of these. I'm barely scraping through the regular way.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Iga Style. :argh:

On the other hand these missions seem to drop leveled weapons, so I can get my main slicer up to speed a little.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
This bat bitch 3rd boss can go to hell. Three hours of trying to kill her now... I suck.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

vandalism posted:

This bat bitch 3rd boss can go to hell. Three hours of trying to kill her now... I suck.

Get in close and bait her 3-hit kick combo, or her parasol combo. Her twirling attack can be blocked, but make sure to carry some anti-paralysis needles or accessories.

I had a lot of trouble with her too until I figured out I could bait her combo and dash in at the end for a few swipes. Her paralysis wave attack can be dodged; the audio cue for dodging is her screeching or whatever, depending on the distance from her.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

TheHoosier posted:

I had a lot of trouble with her too until I figured out I could bait her combo and dash in at the end for a few swipes. Her paralysis wave attack can be dodged; the audio cue for dodging is her screeching or whatever, depending on the distance from her.

Basically the strategy for every enemy in the game.

Also, thank goodness they finally added pause.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
If you are dying to a boss often you need to put on rules of nature and go all out for senpai. My biggest mistakes was holding off and trying to be clever when being up in someone's business hitting them constantly while Ki pulsing is the way to win. Aggression is the core of this game it owns.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Man, the new patch has only served to make Magic/Spirit builds even more fearsome. I'm carving big chunks off my enemies' healthbars even when I'm in the preparation phase of a major fight. Before the patch, firing off four shots at a Yoki would simply set him up to be carved apart. Now, it straight-up kills him.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Played the alpha & beta and really liked what I saw, but I slept on it until the sale and finally picked it up yesterday. Holy moly it's more than I hoped for! This game absolutely owns!!

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

vandalism posted:

Lol everyone else is saying to go super aggressive but I switched from aggressive to extremely patient with her. All of her attacks can be run away from & she's left completely open right next to you after she does the long range charge. Good luck!

e: I'm hoping the duel with Muneshige is supposed to be a real test or something to come back to because holy hell it's on another level

E: I did it!!

myDad fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Mar 26, 2017

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

myDad posted:

Lol everyone else is saying to go super aggressive but I switched from aggressive to extremely patient with her. All of her attacks can be run away from & she's left completely open right next to you after she does the long range charge. Good luck!

e: I'm hoping the duel with Muneshige is supposed to be a real test or something to come back to because holy hell it's on another level

E: I did it!!

yeah, i fought 2 other entire regions before I bothered to return and fight. It's a classic BS souls/nioh boss fight. The boss can wipe out your entire stamina bar in a single combo that barely even registers on their stamina bar. My biggest complaint on this game and Souls games. It gives you a mechanic, like blocking, and then horribly punishes you for using it. Even the basic Lothric Knight or Yokai Yoki can steam-roll you, regardless of build type. It might be cheap poo poo, but over-level and come back when a single attack isn't an insta-kill. This type of game rewards the poop-sockers, the extreme autists, or the Git-Gud twitch gamers in their early teens to late twenties. I'm a bitter old gamer in my mid-thirties, and I'm done screaming at my own character who blocks a single time then gets "super sweepy and needs nappy-time." gently caress my character, and gently caress any game where the only real defense is a dodge-roll, yet the roll doesn't take me out of the bosses kill-zone, which may or may not be the entire map. Get off my lawn, I'm old and tired.

Although, to be actually helpful, I'm told the yokai water pot can drain human enemies of their Ki. Give it a shot?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
The samurai might be hard as balls but the games gives you a lot of tools.

Lifeseal talisman prevents them from recovering Ki, Earth element drains their Ki twice as fast and landmines topples them for a free killing blow. Many Guardian spirits also stop them in their tracks

EDIT: I started a dual wielding Musashi character and it's so much fun. You can Ki Pulse for massive chain attacks. Love it

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Mar 26, 2017

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

Blocking is actually really good and strong. There are just certain attacks you shouldn't even try to block and Muneshige has quite a few of them. Same goes for Souls games to be honest.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Blocking is also armor dependent as the game tells you. Don't bother if you use A agility

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
FYI those new missions are basically themed boss runs. That 330 rating is not for show. :v:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

vandalism posted:

Much later in the game you can have a rematch with her in a sub-mission, but she's like 10x stronger. She was spanking me good until I got gud patient and started just running around her with a spear, baiting out her physical combos.

Protips:
Her physical and umbrella combos can be 2 or 3 hits, so always assume 3.
Her wing-twirl is a pain to dodge, she seems to move forward/track you much more than with her other attacks. Try blocking that one.
Hotbar anti-paralytic needles, I wasn't able to stack enough resist to make a difference in this fight with just armor.
Hit her with kunai/shirken whenever she flys, it does huge ki damage and is your biggest opportunity to punish.

This is a couple of failed attempts and the winning run of that fight, everything shown here should work in the first fight as well. It should be timestamped to the final attempt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAZf9PdjaaI&t=255s

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

Superschaf posted:

Blocking is actually really good and strong. There are just certain attacks you shouldn't even try to block and Muneshige has quite a few of them. Same goes for Souls games to be honest.

Blocking is pretty meh against human type enemies in 1v1 fights because it's usually a sharp stamina reducer and they all usually have tuned up throw animations that are usually set to instakill you.

Mid game or when you get the second to third samurai skill challenge in the dojo you get the ultimate skill against all 1v1 non super natural human type enemies.

The upgraded parries. Particularly Double Sword Parry or spear parry, the other 2 are good but those 2 do additional damage and then leave the enemy on the ground for a follow up.

With him in particular the trick is learning how to avoid his charge, when he sheaths the sword he will do a charge move. You should be dodge rolling as it comes out and not as he approaches you and it has some HEAVY tracking, so dodging won't work unless timed spectacularly.

Also making use of any spare onmyo and ninjutsu with liberal usage of the rock as a resting point is a good idea if you are underleveled ish.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

WaltherFeng posted:

Blocking is also armor dependent as the game tells you. Don't bother if you use A agility

I spent the whole game at A-B, so I don't bother usually.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Just murdered about six revenants with the Justice Ministry armour. Does it have a strength I'm unaware of, or are people just going for it to look cool? Nothing jumps out at me with the set bonuses.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

It's one of two sets in the game with bonuses for dual swords and the other, better one is heavy as heck.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Goddamn, Night Falls Again is insane. It starts nasty, and just keeps escalating and escalating and escalating without giving you room to breathe. I can't even begin to imagine how someone might get a Crusher title on it.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 26, 2017

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Muneshige just took a bunch of dodging & running. It was like a dance: dash in, attack twice, dash out. When he charges run away, then dash in and attack twice. When he's low on stamina dash and attack, dash and attack until he hits red then stab & heal or get in some cheap shots.

Took maybe a dozen tries, but it was so satisfying after the frustration of a couple really close runs where I got too cocky!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

SectumSempra posted:

With him in particular the trick is learning how to avoid his charge, when he sheaths the sword he will do a charge move. You should be dodge rolling as it comes out and not as he approaches you and it has some HEAVY tracking, so dodging won't work unless timed spectacularly.

I found more success in dodging towards him through the attack. Since he always swings when you get close it seemed like the timing worked out more often vs trying to dodge to the side or away.