Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
Rougned Odor extended for 6 years/$49,5m w/ a 7th year club option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

I'm fine with that. Now they need to get working on extending Darvish

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Pancakes posted:

To get back to baseball, Puerto Rico and Team USA are still throwing shade at one another: http://deadspin.com/the-wbc-is-over-but-the-trash-talk-isnt-1793600279

Americans? Being upset at another country for having fun? Why, I never!

The "beef" is dumb, but that's also a dumb way to characterize it.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Popete posted:

This article only serves to remind me how much of an utter failure I am next to KB.

Don't feel bad. We're ALL failures next to KB.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
N: The Cubs are trying to trade Szczur

V: Saw it coming, still not happy about it. :smith:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
gently caress tommy la stella

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Enrico Palazzo is alive and well, my friends.

https://twitter.com/braunerhulk/status/845772828578320384

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Poque posted:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Poque posted:

Is this in response to anything in particular, or just a general sentiment?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
N: Steven Matz is hurt, because of course he is.

Sandy Alderson posted:

He’s got a little tenderness in his elbow and a irritation and he’s got to work that out...We don’t think it’s anything significant, but at the same time it bothers him a little bit on extension, so he’s not going to pitch tomorrow.

V: Between this and Harvey's troubles, I'm starting to think that having Gsellman, Lugo, AND Wheeler in the starting rotation might not be such a bad idea.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Your Taint posted:

Is this in response to anything in particular, or just a general sentiment?

La Stella has said publicly that he would accept a demotion to AAA but rumor is internally the push to trade Szczur is because TLS's reaction to a demotion is still considered a volatile unknown and they can't put Szczur in AAA without him clearing waivers since he's out of options.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Szczur is the odd man out in an already over crowded outfield. TLS has more utility as an infielder, but that leaves a bad taste in a lot of peoples mouths. TLS basically threw a fit last year when he was demoted and was let back on to the team when he finally came too his senses and Szczur had a solid season and presumably wasn't throwing a tantrum but will likely be the one to get the boot.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Popete posted:

Szczur is the odd man out in an already over crowded outfield. TLS has more utility as an infielder, but that leaves a bad taste in a lot of peoples mouths. TLS basically threw a fit last year when he was demoted and was let back on to the team when he finally came too his senses and Szczur had a solid season and presumably wasn't throwing a tantrum but will likely be the one to get the boot.

Baez is a way better utility infielder than La Stella anyway.

Szczur's underwear is good luck, though.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Tigers are sending Anthony Gose back to the minors to become a pitcher :lol:

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
https://twitter.com/AlexPavlovic/status/846046738104250368

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Rand alPaul posted:

The Tigers are sending Anthony Gose back to the minors to become a pitcher :lol:
Apparently the pitching thing was his idea.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Sorry Jarrett Parker, you had a nice run in LF.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
Hi. Just checking in with you baseball friends since baseball is nearly here. I'm not feeling super confident about the Jays' chances this year but drat, Marcus Stroman is still awesome.

Go Blue Jays! :canada:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I lack an emotional center this spring. Opening day approaches and I feel no existential dread for the first time in my life. What do?

(Cubs AS: I will be in Chicago late April and may carry over the trip to catch the May 1 game at Wrigley. Anybody interested in a beer or two before/during/after the game?)

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Toronto offers Carrera, Smoak, and Morales.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
So NYC finally tore down the chop shop shanty town...

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Interest check: Any sizeable amount of Chicago folks (or those able to get here easily) interested in a goonmeet at a weekend Wrigley game In the bleachers? I'm partial to Cards games but am generally always up for baseball.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Spoeank posted:

I think they've made a greater attempt to hold onto Parker than Bonds. :v:

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Is Joey Gallo gonna make the team finally and hit some 500 foot dingers or what

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Pancakes posted:

Interest check: Any sizeable amount of Chicago folks (or those able to get here easily) interested in a goonmeet at a weekend Wrigley game In the bleachers? I'm partial to Cards games but am generally always up for baseball.

Yes obviously

A weekend Cards game would probably cost $100 even for the bleachers though

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Hey I don't remember if this got posted already but the Meet The Teams thread is up. Go tell us why we should root for your team, otherwise all the newcomers are going to turn into Cubs, Yankees, or Giants fans! Or worse, Mariners and Astros fans.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I for one can't wait for another year of nonstop cubs chat.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I've fallen into baseball again thanks to the WBC so I'll do some research and post a Rays thing to re-familiarize myself with the current roster.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Luigi Thirty posted:

thanks to the WBC

The WBC was seriously so good. I'm almost not looking forward to the actual MLB season since it won't measure up.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

ESPN the Mag feature on Moncada: http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/18975183/chicago-white-sox-prospect-yoan-moncada-prepping-major-league-debut He loving loves Twinkies, and ate 85 of them in a week :eyepop:

quote:

Moncada discovered Twinkies at Wal-Mart and started consuming them by the box, sometimes eating more than 10 in a single sitting even as the Red Sox were trying to counsel him on diet and nutrition. When David took Moncada to the dentist in the winter of 2015 -- the first dental visit of Moncada's life -- he had about 15 cavities, David says.

quote:

It took him awhile to understand just how much money he had already earned. David explained that Moncada had just made the equivalent of 656,250 years of work, based on his $4 monthly salary playing for Cienfuegos. Still, when Moncada got his first check, the total was much less than what he'd been expecting, and he came to David in a rage, convinced he'd been robbed. "He didn't really know about the concept of taxes," David says. "I had to print out a pay stub and show him why it was 35 percent less than he thought."

Even at 65 percent, Moncada had money to spend on drones, video games, toys and clothes. He sometimes spent $1,500 or more during nights out, David says. After he purchased the second $200,000 car, Josefa tried to talk some sense into him. "You are being an idiot, just wasting all this money," she told him. "What are you even thinking?"

"Go big or go home," he told her with a smile.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Wasn't there another Cuban player who came over and did the same thing? Was it Yoenis?

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

It was either him or Puig

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Inspector_666 posted:

Wasn't there another Cuban player who came over and did the same thing? Was it Yoenis?

Yoenis if I recall correctly ate giant glasses of whole milk mixed with sugar. Also he ate steak for every meal.

Spoeank posted:

Rand alPaul fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Mar 27, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Rand alPaul posted:

Yoenis if I recall correctly ate giant glasses of whole milk mixed with sugar. Also he ate steak for every meal.

Suddenly Jim Harbaugh wishes he could recruit Yoenis to Michigan.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Inspector_666 posted:

Jose Fernandez was amazed at the concept of free refills and a buffet

Livan Hernandez ate McDonalds every day after signing with the Marlins

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

FlamingLiberal posted:

Jose Fernandez was amazed at the concept of free refills

He was only familiar with the first one being free

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

They should really teach players about Zoilo Versalles, who played in a very different era, but also had no financial restraint and ended up broke and dead at 55.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Is Dylan Cozens going to be good or was that a fluke year.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

euphronius posted:

Is Dylan Cozens going to be good or was that a fluke year.

That home ballpark also led to Darin Ruf hype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

Puig would like go to Denny's and stay all night eating grand slam after grand slam or something like that

• Locked thread