Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
Blue apron - a better way to cook.

My recommendation is Crimetown - this season is about the New England mob. I never got into any of the really popular true crime shows about a single case or event, but this one is about the whole political and underworld system instead. Give it a shot if you like stuff like that. That and Criminal are my two for the genre, unless another super popular one like serial comes out that I need to listen to.

life is a joke fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Mar 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Lampsacus posted:

I do not know Bombcast but i'm guessing its something to do with really liking/respect the hosts heaps and heaps?
Saying that, I have listened to podcasts for over a decade now and have never once bought anything even though I really like some of the hosts. Hm.

It's a combo of respecting the hosts and selling stuff in a way that actually resonates with me, which is almost as an anti-ad. "This is dumb, but it's dumb in the way that you like."

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
So, Missing Richard Simmons was really cool for the stories from people who's lives he changed so much for the better, but I also thought it really was lovely that the host showed up at his house multiple times despite not being wanted and traveling to meet his brother when his brother clearly did not want to talk to anyone. I feel like the podcast would have been so much less lovely and harassing if he just talked to people who were touched/improved by Richard without showing up at his house and taking surprise visits to his family.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

GobiasIndustries posted:

So, Missing Richard Simmons was really cool for the stories from people who's lives he changed so much for the better, but I also thought it really was lovely that the host showed up at his house multiple times despite not being wanted and traveling to meet his brother when his brother clearly did not want to talk to anyone. I feel like the podcast would have been so much less lovely and harassing if he just talked to people who were touched/improved by Richard without showing up at his house and taking surprise visits to his family.

Same. I do think he figured that out by the end though. Would have made a better one-off episode of TAL or something.

Nodbarnacle
Dec 23, 2007
figment
Sleepycast is pretty good although I tend to only listens to episode featuring Zach Hadel (psychicpebbles). They're pretty good story tellers. Just a bunch of animators that got together as friends. Psychicpebbles has a podcast of his own which I do enjoy albeit for nothing else other than his funny voice but it doesn't compare to him sewn together in with a larger group of people. It makes for a much funnier psychicpebbles.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
S-Town dropped today in its entirety. Listened to the first episode and it's pretty :stare:. Kind of like a real-world Twin Peaks situation goin on in rural Alabama.

Excited to go through and finish it asap.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Drunk Tomato posted:

S-Town dropped today in its entirety. Listened to the first episode and it's pretty :stare:. Kind of like a real-world Twin Peaks situation goin on in rural Alabama.

drat I have to listen to it now, sorry podcast backlist

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also
It's really interesting. And obviously well-produced. Starlee Kine seems to have come back into the fold as a segment producer. Sucks those $10k/ep Mystery Show episodes didn't pan out. I liked her.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

It was kinda funny when I realized I listen exclusively to American podcasts and therefore can't ever even buy any of the things that are being advertised on them.

Harry's Razors do sound great if I could get any, and I'd love to give the Texture free trial a go, but I literally can't.

Someone will figure out a way to do to podcast ads what DVR did to TV commercials, make a ton of money and cause a minor crisis in the industry. It's also probably not a coincidence that Arms Control Wonk and Opening Arguments, both running on Patreon donations, are my favs right now.

GobiasIndustries posted:

It was actually really jarring when sometime during the second episode I realized that Simmons just wants to be left alone in retirement and the host was being an rear end in a top hat about it. But it was interesting to have that realization fairly early because it gives you a different perspective on the rest of the series. Like the Brazilian artist-cum-masseuse who accuses the maid of having taken Simmons prisoner but then it slowly unravels that he's just a lunatic and Simmons himself is perfectly fine without him around.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Drunkboxer posted:

Same. I do think he figured that out by the end though. Would have made a better one-off episode of TAL or something.

Yeah, but he didn't he say he had all the episodes recorded before release? That just makes him more of an rear end in a top hat. Richard Simmons up and disappearing from almost everyone in his life is really sad and disappointing and not a great thing to do IMO, but like, after the police went Richard's house and said he was totally fine and just wanted to be left alone, why even release it? I feel like it was released with the expectation of listeners that he talked to Richard and then at the end was like 'nope but here's my story of harassing this celebrity'

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

GobiasIndustries posted:

Yeah, but he didn't he say he had all the episodes recorded before release? That just makes him more of an rear end in a top hat. Richard Simmons up and disappearing from almost everyone in his life is really sad and disappointing and not a great thing to do IMO, but like, after the police went Richard's house and said he was totally fine and just wanted to be left alone, why even release it? I feel like it was released with the expectation of listeners that he talked to Richard and then at the end was like 'nope but here's my story of harassing this celebrity'

Okay, yeah, he sounds like an rear end in a top hat, but if you don't think that this is an interesting concept for a few episodes, I don't know what you're doing on SA.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Drunk Tomato posted:

Finished this today. It starts out pretty good and seems like it'll have some good twists and turns but pretty much falls flat after the 3rd episode.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Antti posted:

It was kinda funny when I realized I listen exclusively to American podcasts and therefore can't ever even buy any of the things that are being advertised on them.

Harry's Razors do sound great if I could get any, and I'd love to give the Texture free trial a go, but I literally can't.

Someone will figure out a way to do to podcast ads what DVR did to TV commercials, make a ton of money and cause a minor crisis in the industry. It's also probably not a coincidence that Arms Control Wonk and Opening Arguments, both running on Patreon donations, are my favs right now.
Yeah, most of my favorites seem to support themselves via Patreon too. It seems like the preferred way to go for smaller, niche podcasts, but that just makes sense.

Unless you're cranking out hours of content each week like a terrestrial radio show, it's hard to see how advertisers could ever be anything other than supplemental income. Not necessarily a bad thing if the podcast is a side gig, but the Patreon route offers the chance of it turning into a full time thing for non-daily podcasts.

On a content note, I just started listening to Casefile and it's definitely scratching that true crime itch.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

GobiasIndustries posted:

I think the first few were, definitely the last one wasn't made ahead of time though. He said in the last ep he recorded something before but decided to not release it based on recent developments (the police visiting him a second time being the main one). I think he just eventually became aware of how creepy the whole thing was and pulled the plug.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Totally from the cheap seats--know almost nothing about the case, totally nothing about the podcast, have no thoughts about whether it's moral or creepy or whatever--but just on its face it seems really likely from the start that Richard Simmons has some progressive illness or mental illness or dementia or something and wants to be left alone.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
It's kinda funny how podcast journalism has a minor theme of creepy journalists. The lady who did the first season of Serial caught some flack for the lengths she went to in order to contact the victim's mother to get an interview.

Due diligence is a thing but so is harassment.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm three episodes in S-Town. what the gently caress? Is this seriously just a story about a guy the reporter met? Is this seriously never going to be the tale of small town corruption that they promised at the beginning?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm three episodes in S-Town. what the gently caress? Is this seriously just a story about a guy the reporter met? Is this seriously never going to be the tale of small town corruption that they promised at the beginning?

Yes,no

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Yeah, it's not really a spoiler to say that S-Town is not in fact a murder mystery or any sort of criminal expose at all despite what the first episodes and the connection with Serial may want you to think since the host arrives at the same conclusion less than a quarter of the way through and it loses any pretense of that afterward. It's more of a portrait of small-town life and a bunch of different peoples' lives and how they overlap, like a protracted This American Life episode than anything else.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Crimetown is/was so good. I went through it in a few days and I'm itching for more. Is it still going on? I can't think of another podcast that was I was able to visualize as well as that one. So well produced with the effects I felt like I was watching TV/ a movie. I'm also really glad it isn't just focusing solely on Buddy Cianci or Raymond Patriarca but really giving good looks a bunch of people involved with organized crime. Really can't wait for more! Anyone have anything similar quality wise?

Audiobooks welcome too!

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
S-TOWN is kind of teased as a murder-mystery but it's more just a biopic/ long form TAL story. Finished it today, and it is really well done and the narrator did a super good job not being a creepo, which is somewhat refreshing.

I will say that Starlee Kine helped work on it too and it very much feels like her handiwork. So you won't get much out of it if you don't like her kind of stuff.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
I really liked S-town. Maybe because I wasn't really hyped up to get a crime podcast.
They were obviously hoping for a crime story, but this is reality, it's not scripted and it didn't develop that way.
But I feel they found something equally interesting, the story of that tragic man and his love/hate relationship with that town, and the bizarre things he did.

Snappy Zings
Feb 19, 2003
I'M TOO FUCKING STUPID TO DO A SIMPLE SEARCH OF THE FORUMS.
If you're one of those dang millennials that use Snapchat, you might enjoy my friend's and my podcast The Snappy Hour. Here's a link to my post in the PYP thread all about it. Even if you don't like Snapchat, it's still quite fun. Come for the funny jokes and snaps, stay for the Jager bombs and stupid sound bytes. Enjoy :)

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Anyone listening to The Virtual Memories Show http://chimeraobscura.com/vm/ ? It's afaik just interviews with writers and artists. Latest one has sci-fi writer Samuel Delany. Haven't listened to it yet, but the guest list sounds interesting.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
i don't know if i'm cool with shows that give long-form platforms to pedophiles.

“I read The NAMBLA Bulletin fairly regularly and I think it is one of the most intelligent discussions of sexuality I’ve ever found. … Before you start judging what NAMBLA is about, expose yourself to it and see what it is really about, the issues they are really talking about; and deal with what’s really there rather than this demonized notion of guys running about trying to screw little boys. I would have been so much happier as an adolescent if NAMBLA had been around when I was 9, 10, 11, 12, 13.”

— Samuel Delany, science fiction writer (Queer Desires Forum, New York City, June 25, 1994).

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I'm working my way through this thread but before I can get caught up, can anyone recommend any conspiracy theory podcasts? Nothing stupid or whacky, something fairly sensible if possible. I just watched 11.22.63 and have an interest in the Kennedy assassination right now.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Is there any particular revolution I should start with on Revolutions?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Snowy posted:

Is there any particular revolution I should start with on Revolutions?

I'd recommend 3.1, the start of the French Revolution. The English revolution episodes are well made but the events are hard to follow (not the fault of the podcast, was an odd revolution), and the American revolution is good but the French one is outstanding.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I'd recommend 3.1, the start of the French Revolution. The English revolution episodes are well made but the events are hard to follow (not the fault of the podcast, was an odd revolution), and the American revolution is good but the French one is outstanding.

The American revolution is good and gives you interesting details, but you may find it redundant if you ever studied US history in depth. French revolution is really good, and everything is really properly linked to it.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

kaesarsosei posted:

I'm working my way through this thread but before I can get caught up, can anyone recommend any conspiracy theory podcasts? Nothing stupid or whacky, something fairly sensible if possible. I just watched 11.22.63 and have an interest in the Kennedy assassination right now.

Skeptoid isn't my cup of tea personally but it covers conspiracy theories occasionally. Stuff They Don't Want You To Know also might fit the bill, although I don't know of they have any episodes covering the JFK assassination.

LizzieBorden
Dec 6, 2009

She's hackin' and wackin' and smackin'
She just hacks, wacks, chopping that meat

Those Conspiracy Guys might be your cup of tea. Episodes are long though.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Under the vegetable posted:

i don't know if i'm cool with shows that give long-form platforms to pedophiles.

“I read The NAMBLA Bulletin fairly regularly and I think it is one of the most intelligent discussions of sexuality I’ve ever found. … Before you start judging what NAMBLA is about, expose yourself to it and see what it is really about, the issues they are really talking about; and deal with what’s really there rather than this demonized notion of guys running about trying to screw little boys. I would have been so much happier as an adolescent if NAMBLA had been around when I was 9, 10, 11, 12, 13.”

— Samuel Delany, science fiction writer (Queer Desires Forum, New York City, June 25, 1994).

You know, I knew nothing about this guy but a friend gave me one of his books to read and I thought it was weird as all gently caress.

But I've read a lot of science fiction from the 50s and 60s and all that poo poo is loaded with pedophilia.

On a related note, does anyone have any good Daily Show-esque left-leaning political podcasts that are clever and/or funny? I'm looking for something to strengthen my liberal closed-mindedness.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

credburn posted:

You know, I knew nothing about this guy but a friend gave me one of his books to read and I thought it was weird as all gently caress.

But I've read a lot of science fiction from the 50s and 60s and all that poo poo is loaded with pedophilia.

On a related note, does anyone have any good Daily Show-esque left-leaning political podcasts that are clever and/or funny? I'm looking for something to strengthen my liberal closed-mindedness.

You should listen to The Dollop, a comedy history podcast about stories from American history that are insane how they relate to what's happening now. It's excellent and very funny.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

credburn posted:

Chapo Trap House is pretty funny, and hosted by former goons.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
there should be a rule if you recommend a podcast in this thread you also add a decent starting episode

I stumbled upon my old mp3 player which was loaded with one of my favorite podcasts of all time. Looks like the feed and the soundcloud hosting is down but the episodes are still on youtube.

It's a Scottish comedian called Limmy who performs a sketch as one of several different characters.

Limmy's World of Glasgow - DECA

Koburn fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 25, 2017

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

credburn posted:

I thinks it's one of those things where, in addition to a lot of writers being sex perverts, science fiction is all about exploring ideas and viewpoints and unfortunately that can make you empathize with people and viewpoints that most people really aren't comfortable with. If you're lucky then you get to be on the right side of history like Star Trek's integrated cast, if not then you wind up like Kurt Vonnegut spending the last years of his life demonized by the Fox News crowd for "supporting" the 9/11 hijackers.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Never even been in this forum before and I can still be positive this is the most asked question here. But I have a 1-2 hour drive twice a day a few times a week and am almost done with every Hardcore History. I only have a handful of the earlier ones left. My biggest concern is the tone and voice and what not. I've googled around listened to 30 seconds of some stuff and I need the deep voice, the QUOTE END QUOTE, measured, serious but not too serious, narrative style thing Dan does. Secondly is length. I love the long rear end ones. Blueprint For Armageddon with like 8 episodes of 4-5 hours each was basically orgasmic to me. There isn't enough time for any detail in the shorter ones, anything under an hour is just disappointing. I found one with a good voice on google but each episode is like 20 minutes long. What am I going to learn in 20 minutes.

Also, I've been listening using the stock music player on my Galaxy S5. But it loses the time I was at if I close it or leave it off for more than 10 minutes. I write down the timestamp so it isn't a huge deal but what's a better app so I won't have to do that.

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Apr 26, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Revolutions. Each episode is only 30 minutes or so long, but they're more like chapters in a book than stand alone episodes, so you end up with something around 8 hours on the English Revolution, 30+ hours on the French Revolution, etc.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

Revolutions. Each episode is only 30 minutes or so long, but they're more like chapters in a book than stand alone episodes, so you end up with something around 8 hours on the English Revolution, 30+ hours on the French Revolution, etc.

That's the second thing the guy from The History Of Rome does right? THOR (lol) was the #1 answer for after HH I could find. I just downloaded them all and while they are shorter, there's a goddamn billion of them so I'm going to give it a try.

I also found one called MartyrMade that looks like everything I want but only has 6 episodes about Israel or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

History on Fire is the podcast that most blatantly attempts to copy Carlin but at the same time is spoken by an Italian man with a powerful thick accent.