Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Hixson posted:

This is fluffy! Orks have old and cobbled together vehicles.

orks aren't supposed to be super competitive. Have a conversation with your opponent and forge your narrative...It's even in the rulebook.

Uh huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

Safety Factor posted:

I still think it's hilarious that GW sent some dudes to get slaughtered in a 40k tournament. I hope it was a learning experience. :v:

If there was a way they might actually learn the rules of their own drat game, that would be the way. Maybe 8th will be made in retribution against said tourny grogs.

E:+1 W on your war lord if you have a fluffy backstory for it that is at least a paragraph long.
+1 to sieze rolls if your army is fully painted and made entirely out of Games Workshop parts

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
It's super poo poo to make a faction like Orks in a game you play against other people that is doomed to lose unless you ask to other guy to forge a narrative (and you will probably still lose because he's playing Space Wolves).

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
I never understood how you could "squat" the Tyranids if they themselves were the ones that squatted the Squats

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

JBP posted:

It's super poo poo to make a faction like Orks in a game you play against other people that is doomed to lose unless you ask to other guy to forge a narrative (and you will probably still lose because he's playing Space Wolves).

Hix and Pan are not being serious. They've been trolling like that for a little bit.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

LingcodKilla posted:

Hix and Pan are not being serious. They've been trolling like that for a little bit.

Oh I thought Orks were genuinely not very good now. I haven't played them since last edition so I've got no idea and I have been misled by forums posters/wider internet.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

JBP posted:

Oh I thought Orks were genuinely not very good now. I haven't played them since last edition so I've got no idea and I have been misled by forums posters/wider internet.

No, orks are terrible that's not wrong.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I am going to assume they're not as good as other factions but a wily gamer might make them win, which is more or less where they were when I last encountered Orks. Why are they considered weak now? Too many points for not enough t4 bodies?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Orks are in a bad place, but if you want to paint, model and have fun - then go for it.

Just know you will be at a handicap in almost every game you play, for no reason other than you chose to play that particular race.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
When was the last time the Ork codex was both good and really fluffy? I want to say 4th edition?

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
Long story short Orks are not competitive.

Things they are good at - Melee.
Things they are poo poo at - Shooting, getting into Melee.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Unless they recut the ork spru there's only one chest piece that accepts the big shoota or rocket back pack.

loving dummies.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I've never played Warhammer 40k, but every so often I feel like it is something I really should look into. What is the most absolutely hilarious/fun to play against Ork composition out there? I want maximum Orkiness possible, with lots of dakka and tremendous opportunities for my boyz to get run over by their own trukks or explode one another due to terrible rolls!

Orks are incredibly bad right now in ways that are not fun or entertaining to anyone involved. They just kinda suck and fall over without any wacky hijinks.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I've never played Warhammer 40k, but every so often I feel like it is something I really should look into. What is the most absolutely hilarious/fun to play against Ork composition out there? I want maximum Orkiness possible, with lots of dakka and tremendous opportunities for my boyz to get run over by their own trukks or explode one another due to terrible rolls!

The people claiming Orks are OK outside of a competitive environment are...under the wrong impression. You cannot find anyone so pumped about Orks as I was, but nowadays I discourage anyone from starting them up as hard as I can so they don't suffer the same sort of letdown I did. It really sucks to pour so much painstaking care and time and money into a project you love only to see some know-nothing gently caress it right up.

It's not that they aren't """OK""" in a super-casual, friendly, narrative-forged environment; it's that their rules actively detract from everything Orks are supposed to be and do. Their rules are terribly, terribly written by an awful joke of a game designer and sucked every last bit of fun out of the army for me. I enjoyed the modeling and painting, but I couldn't even enjoy that when they performed so contradictory to their established nature on the tabletop. Understand that any given Ork unit is incapable of predictably fulfilling its purpose or even the most basic function. That's how the guy who wrote their rules makes all armies he doesn't know or like: take for example the Tyranid artillery creature he wrote (whose name escapes me atm). Artillery is supposed to be long-range support, yeah?

The dude made their biggest artillery unit have a range of 24". He made their basic melee units have a strong chance of hitting themselves, but you have to stop the game and roll on a random table for the pleasure of doing it.

That's the guy who wrote Orks, and he brought that sense of "gently caress fun, roll to kill yourself" to their rules, which is why the army with the most unpredictable, wild technology and organization and methods of warfare have the worst, most unforgivingly rigid command structure with truly worthless "bonuses" in the game ever seen.

I was actually mad enough to write a different book, available here if your group is cool with "homebrew" stuff; something that I sort of brag about is that my regular gaming group won't let anyone use the official GW codex anymore if they are playing Orks. I and everyone else have to use the Space 0din version. It's just an alternate codex that fixes a lot of the original writer's mistakes, incorrect designs, and lazy omissions. You aren't going to be using it in any official tournaments, but it kept me from just selling off my entire army (though to be fair people message me sometimes about how it's the only Ork codex in their tournament or store, so that's cool I guess).

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007

mango sentinel posted:

Orks are incredibly bad right now in ways that are not fun or entertaining to anyone involved. They just kinda suck and fall over without any wacky hijinks.

TL;DR this tbqh

Eifert Posting posted:

When was the last time the Ork codex was both good and really fluffy? I want to say 4th edition?

Yes, kind of. Their 3rd Edition book was awesome, but they were at least playable in their 4th ed book, even after Nob Biker Musical Wounds shenanigans.

Proletariat Beowulf fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 27, 2017

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Yeah Orks are in a really bad place this edition. At least Tyranid players can still use their models as counts-as 30k Mechanicum.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

I love the poo poo out of all of these, and will probably pick them all up (I've wanted to be able to build an aesthetically similar refinery structure for a while now). The new Necromunda looks rad as hell.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I'm going to a Tourney in July and am taking my Steel Legion - so a couple packs of these will help me create an absurdly over the top theme board for them.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

SRM posted:

one dude playing the 30k friendly passed out in his own vomit and had to be stretchered out at 3pm on Friday.

This dude sounds unironically cool as hell, and I want to party with him.

TheChirurgeon posted:

I love the poo poo out of all of these, and will probably pick them all up (I've wanted to be able to build an aesthetically similar refinery structure for a while now). The new Necromunda looks rad as hell.

Agreed, Neo-munda looks fully fuckin' sick.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

How would Scouts look with a GSC upgrade sprue?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Is there a link to the new Necromunda? When I google new Necromunda it comes up with nonsensical results.

Ah right, it's Shadow War: Amageddon.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Technowolf posted:

How would Scouts look with a GSC upgrade sprue?

It could work I think, but the Scout sprues themselves are really old and lovely.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
they made Orks bad on purpose, as a joke

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Huh, the box comes with less scenery than they've been showing? That spider skull hanging from the platform was my favorite piece but it's part of the scenery sold separately at $75.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Huh, the box comes with less scenery than they've been showing? That spider skull hanging from the platform was my favorite piece but it's part of the scenery sold separately at $75.

It says the box comes with all the scenery, they're just also selling it separately.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Texmo posted:

It says the box comes with all the scenery, they're just also selling it separately.

The box says it comes with two pieces and walkways to connect them. The second picture is a third piece that isn't included.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

This reminds me of ole Meltman from Kablam

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Meltaman

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007

Phyresis posted:

they made Orks bad on purpose, as a joke

Oi, me danglies to yer Dukes meffod! 'Ow'd ye fancy et? :orks101:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The box says it comes with two pieces and walkways to connect them. The second picture is a third piece that isn't included.

The second picture is the scenery on the left in the picture of the game contents, just assembled differently. You can even see the skull

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Come, my sweet summer child, and we will resurrect GorkaMorka.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Daaaamn I want that terrain so bad.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The Emperor demands the defense of the potent chem-elixir produced within the sacred workings of the atomantic arco-stills of Appalachion Primus.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Rumormeister extraordinaire chimed in with this in the wake of news of the final resin model sold:

“Yes it’s coming, as everyone can clearly now see the final resin TH has been sold, the plastic one has quite a few options as I understand it, and should come in around 25-30% of the cost of the resin one…. or at least that’s the last I heard. I seem to recall a figure of either £125 or £135…”

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2017/03/40k-goodbye-resin-thunderhawk-hello.html

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Liquid Communism posted:

Come, my sweet summer child, and we will resurrect GorkaMorka.

I was gonna say - if you want your games to be full of wacky hijinks and Ork brutality in equal measure: play GorkaMorka. It's the game where the Ork fluff and aesthetic began to develop into what it is today (and that's the only aspect of the Orks that is totally rad.) GorkaMorka is a load of chilled and crazy fun.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

ineptmule posted:

I was gonna say - if you want your games to be full of wacky hijinks and Ork brutality in equal measure: play GorkaMorka. It's the game where the Ork fluff and aesthetic began to develop into what it is today (and that's the only aspect of the Orks that is totally rad.) GorkaMorka is a load of chilled and crazy fun.

It's also the best excuse ever to make insane vehicle kitbashes.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Orks also suffer from the highest dollar per point army in the game. To field a 2000 point army you'd either have to scratch build and kitbash like crazy or spend over 1000$. It's the cruelest thing about Orks, imo. It seems like people tend to either start as Orks (like I did) or Marines for their first army, and if you chose Orks you've usually sunk a couple hundred dollars into your army before you realize your mistake.

Cost aside, it would be so so easy to fix Orks. But that will never happen, we will just continue to get formations that confer rules that Orks should have by default, and cost 1000$ in minis that you most definitely don't already have as an Ork player to run.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
Hi I'm Orks4eva but I agree with everyone, please don't play them (yet). I had the most fun modelling but gaming with them is just not.

Alright peace out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I'm bad enough at hams that I've consistently lost against my friends' Orks but then again lucky stikk shenanigans are their one "good" option.

• Locked thread