Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Alright, now I have all weapons upgraded to max. What do I do next to get the big superboss fight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

Well that sucks. I finished ending A a day ago but if it gets suckier, I guess I can shelve it.

Stick with it. I was really down on the game during A and most of B, but I felt it really redeemed itself in the later parts.

idiotmeat
Apr 3, 2010
Is it ever implied that the machines of NieR are somehow related to the machine lifeforms, or are the latter constructs fully created by the aliens?

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Alright, now I have all weapons upgraded to max. What do I do next to get the big superboss fight?

To to the shopping mall. You'll get a quest.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

idiotmeat posted:

Is it ever implied that the machines of NieR are somehow related to the machine lifeforms, or are the latter constructs fully created by the aliens?

Adam says that the aliens were kind of like plants, and pod 042 tells you that the machine cores are kind of like plant cells. So I don't think it's likely that the machine lifeforms are related to machines found in Nier. Though, the black box things are related somehow to the machine cores. I think yorha are the only androids with black boxes, though.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

idiotmeat posted:

I'm pretty sure the machine lifeforms are connected to the machines from NieR. This is pretty much explicitly established by the Goliath repair sidequest, which contains a bunch of background information about how Engels was originally a machine built by humans in a factory on Earth. The short story somebody posted just a little bit ago supports this as well, as it explains how the machines originally gained consciousness and spread it to androids and the aliens' machine lifeforms.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I made an observation earlier, when I was doing Route B, that the YorHa were like angles. And in a lot of ways they are, but realizing that they are made out of machine cores, they become a lot like nephilim. They are only part of God's plan so that their birth and death can serve as a lesson.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Vermain posted:

Comparatively, I thought the dialogue served its purposes well, and the situations the characters found themselves in made me care about their predicament. I think this is one of those areas where it's simply a matter of taste, so I encourage you to play the game as much as you can enjoy it.

Route A is probably the weakest part of the game, since it's essentially only there to set the table for route B and its perspective flip. I think it's an incredibly necessary table setting, but I can understand people getting frustrated with it.

It also works a lot better in retrospect when you stop to think about 2B's relationship with 9S and how she's had to kill him so many times, you see her try to steer him away from poo poo that leads down that road by either noselling or telling him not to worry about it. She also does the 'don't show emotions' thing, which is half her telling him and half her telling herself to try to keep herself from getting too attached

idiotmeat
Apr 3, 2010

Opposing Farce posted:

I'm pretty sure the machine lifeforms are connected to the machines from NieR. This is pretty much explicitly established by the Goliath repair sidequest, which contains a bunch of background information about how Engels was originally a machine built by humans in a factory on Earth. The short story somebody posted just a little bit ago supports this as well, as it explains how the machines originally gained consciousness and spread it to androids and the aliens' machine lifeforms.

so then Nier (replicant) not only causes the extinction of mankind but also by brutally murdering beepy he becomes a party to spreading consciousness to the machine lifeforms?
That fuckwit.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

idiotmeat posted:

so then Nier (replicant) not only causes the extinction of mankind but also by brutally murdering beepy he becomes a party to spreading consciousness to the machine lifeforms?
That fuckwit.

Local Dad Ruins Everything.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

SHISHKABOB posted:

Adam says that the aliens were kind of like plants, and pod 042 tells you that the machine cores are kind of like plant cells. So I don't think it's likely that the machine lifeforms are related to machines found in Nier. Though, the black box things are related somehow to the machine cores. I think yorha are the only androids with black boxes, though.

So, what I got from all this is that The machines fought with androids and basically won. They assimilated what I assume to was that old rear end tree computer you did a bunch of text games with in the first nier and absorbed a lot of data on humanity and became self aware, self evolving and realized that if they beat the androids once and for all, they wouldn't have a purpose anymore. Because they existed to win the war, and without an enemy to war against they were useless. So they sabotaged their own network creating weird offshoots like Pascal, the BECOME AS GODS dudes and the amusement park machines to weaken themselves. They still needed an enemy to face, something they could actually fight so they needed to make androids evolve. That's where YoRHa comes in. They're built based on black boxes, which are designed like machine cores. They're built to be disposable, after a time limit the machines step in, wipe them out and the next generation hops on in stronger and ready to resume the war. Their memories are also tightly controlled, they believe humanity is still alive due to the emergency damage control done in the wake of Project Gestalt's failure. So the machines basically made their own enemies and make them grow stronger each generation. Wipe them out, fight the next generation and repeat that forever so they, the machines themselves, can continue to evolve stronger and fight because that's their sole purpose. I'm making a fairly large assumption that the mysterious unnamed people behind Project YoRHa, and the mysterious Human Council correspondence voice are both the machine network in control, the voice sounds similar to the masculine voice of the AI you fight and the sheer amount of data and motivations behind the machines makes it seem likely they exploited the huge gap in the remaining android's memories to usurp the human authority to create Project YoRHa.

For more wild assumptions; I don't think the timer for YoRHa's demise was an actual timer. I think it was 9S. It's implied that 2B has killed 9S a bunch, and the suggested cyclical nature of all this would mean he's found out the truth many times over. In-game almost as soon as he finds out the truth and tries to share it with 2B, the machines stage their big attack and destroy the bunker. 9S is also implied to be a high-spec scanner model as opposed to the other black haired scanner types we see, so he's special in some way and it's because of that, that he's driven to be overly curious and interface with the machines and dig into the files he shouldn't. So, to me at least, it makes sense that 9S would be the ticking clock for that generation of YoRHa and the 2B/E model would exist to keep them in line and motivate them to get their true purpose fulfilled.

So for non-spoiler chat; I still can't find the enhanced small sphere drill machine or the enhanced kamikaze medium fliers.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
What weapons r good in this game :( I'm using the T-40 Spear and the Ancient Overlord, though I think I saw not-Hymir's Finger in my cluttered inventory. B-route, if it makes a difference. The bracers I've found are thus far underwhelming.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Bogart posted:

What weapons r good in this game :(

Most of them, really. Cypress Stick is really fun, so is the iron pipe but punching dudes will never not be awesome.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Bogart posted:

I honestly don't think it matters. Just use the one that looks the best and the moveset you like. I stuck with small sword/large sword cause I liked faith and beastlord.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Bogart posted:

Whatever you think looks good, as long as you keep it upgraded.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
but which are the best

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
http://nierautomata.wiki.fextralife.com/Small+Swords the ones with the biggest numbers

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
I've found the spears with their charge attack and a charge attack chip to be incredibly powerful because it comes out fast, has absurd range, and pierces. It's like a pod laser program that you can spam every 2 or so seconds.

The Engine Blade's Shift Avoid that it gets when fully upgraded seems rather powerful and a had some good results by combining it with Iron Will to hammer out some seriously hefty hits during overclock.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Nuebot posted:

So, what I got from all this is that The machines fought with androids and basically won. They assimilated what I assume to was that old rear end tree computer you did a bunch of text games with in the first nier and absorbed a lot of data on humanity and became self aware, self evolving and realized that if they beat the androids once and for all, they wouldn't have a purpose anymore. Because they existed to win the war, and without an enemy to war against they were useless. So they sabotaged their own network creating weird offshoots like Pascal, the BECOME AS GODS dudes and the amusement park machines to weaken themselves. They still needed an enemy to face, something they could actually fight so they needed to make androids evolve. That's where YoRHa comes in. They're built based on black boxes, which are designed like machine cores. They're built to be disposable, after a time limit the machines step in, wipe them out and the next generation hops on in stronger and ready to resume the war. Their memories are also tightly controlled, they believe humanity is still alive due to the emergency damage control done in the wake of Project Gestalt's failure. So the machines basically made their own enemies and make them grow stronger each generation. Wipe them out, fight the next generation and repeat that forever so they, the machines themselves, can continue to evolve stronger and fight because that's their sole purpose. I'm making a fairly large assumption that the mysterious unnamed people behind Project YoRHa, and the mysterious Human Council correspondence voice are both the machine network in control, the voice sounds similar to the masculine voice of the AI you fight and the sheer amount of data and motivations behind the machines makes it seem likely they exploited the huge gap in the remaining android's memories to usurp the human authority to create Project YoRHa.

For more wild assumptions; I don't think the timer for YoRHa's demise was an actual timer. I think it was 9S. It's implied that 2B has killed 9S a bunch, and the suggested cyclical nature of all this would mean he's found out the truth many times over. In-game almost as soon as he finds out the truth and tries to share it with 2B, the machines stage their big attack and destroy the bunker. 9S is also implied to be a high-spec scanner model as opposed to the other black haired scanner types we see, so he's special in some way and it's because of that, that he's driven to be overly curious and interface with the machines and dig into the files he shouldn't. So, to me at least, it makes sense that 9S would be the ticking clock for that generation of YoRHa and the 2B/E model would exist to keep them in line and motivate them to get their true purpose fulfilled.

So for non-spoiler chat; I still can't find the enhanced small sphere drill machine or the enhanced kamikaze medium fliers.

I don't get the impression YoRHa was cooked up by the machines. Machines wouldn't care about how "humane" building android black boxes with machine cores would be. Rather, it seems like Project YoRHa was the androids' own attempt at self-evolution in the manner of the machines. Destroying it was just part of the plan to make the coverup of humanity's extinction final, as only YoRHa knew of it at this point and only they possessed the means to uncover it. In the stretch where you're walking infected 2B to the commercial center, another transmission from the Council comes in saying they're increasing production of androids, likely built off of the YoRHa experiment. So much like how the machines intentionally degrade their network to facilitate their own evolution, android command builds a few generations of disposable androids and then rolls the improvements into the rest of their android production.

Anemone's diary seems to indicate that A2's generation were the very first YoRHa units to make landfall.

The Council and the Terminal are definitely voiced by different people, it's much clearer in the JP audio.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Bogart posted:

but which are the best

the ones with built in critical hits

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
(Big spoilers)

I've seen several people (in this thread and elsewhere on the internet) who seem to be under the impression that YorHa was created by the Machines. From what I can tell, this is simply not true.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Obligatum VII posted:

The Engine Blade's Shift Avoid that it gets when fully upgraded seems rather powerful and a had some good results by combining it with Iron Will to hammer out some seriously hefty hits during overclock.

Does Shift Avoid actually do anything? I didn't toy around with it much but it kind of seemed like it just adds a particle effect to your dodge animation.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Obligatum VII posted:

Speaking of that area, how the heck do you reach the chests on the building way over in the water?
I jumped from the closest partially submerged building, the one with flyers hovering above. I don't recall the exact jump technique I used, it was some subset of the following movement options: launcher (jump then heavy in quick succession), pod jump (pod fire + jump), double jump, air combo (light attack in midair, fully upgraded bracers have a 8 Lt string), float (hold jump when airborne), and air dodge.
Getting there gets you a regular chest with a weapon and a special locked chest with a minor lore item.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Intoluene posted:

To to the shopping mall. You'll get a quest.

Ah I see, thanks.

Speaking of this boss, well I guess it wouldn't be a superboss if it wasn't hard but I'm not really making any headway into the fight since the eye laser attack they can do one shots me, and it seems like no amount of range defense up chips are helping.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Opposing Farce posted:

Does Shift Avoid actually do anything? I didn't toy around with it much but it kind of seemed like it just adds a particle effect to your dodge animation.

It's just a cosmetic change to make your dodge look like the FFXV dodge.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I am baffled that people think MGS:R had deep gameplay.

It was more theatrical, but deep lol.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Grapplejack posted:

I think it makes you invincible for the whole length of the fancy particle dodge too.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I'm about six hours into the game and I'm wondering about the reliquary system. If I die without retrieving my corpse, should I just reload a save? How serious is it to lose all your chips?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
This should probably go in the OP because it's sort of BS and I don't want it happening to anyone else. This is spoiler-free but talks about mechanics everyone should know

:siren:
Here's how the joke endings work: They end your game, take your most recent save, and append the ending to it. So if you (like me) haven't saved for 3 hours it doesn't save any of your progress, selling, buying, fusing, grinding, xp, it will literally put you back to your last save, just with the extra ending added to the save file.

Here's why this means you need to save very often: You never know when you'll get a joke ending. The way I got mine was doing what I'd done in the entire game so far for the last 37 hours with no repercussions, I was ignoring the main quest to do a sidequest. I got ending M saying "your character decided to go for a walk, and everything loving exploded". I was expecting to maybe save when I got the idea that something big was going to happen. During boss fights it sort of saves for you. If you die normally you can get your corpse. If you get a joke ending you're hosed if you haven't saved recently. Don't be like me. Save every 20-30 minutes.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

Yeah, that's what I thought, but I've noticed people suggesting that it actually does something gameplay-wise so I wasn't sure. Maybe the fact that it has an immediately visible effect tricks people into thinking it does something more when actually it's just dodging is really good in this game already.

randombattle posted:

I think it makes you invincible for the whole length of the fancy particle dodge too.

I haven't tested it or anything but I'm pretty sure you're invincible for that long to begin with. Dodging is really good in this game.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 27, 2017

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

redreader posted:

This should probably go in the OP because it's sort of BS and I don't want it happening to anyone else. This is spoiler-free but talks about mechanics everyone should know

Here's how the joke endings work: They end your game, take your most recent save, and append the ending to it. So if you (like me) haven't saved for 3 hours it doesn't save any of your progress, selling, buying, fusing, grinding, xp, it will literally put you back to your last save, just with the extra ending added to the save file.

Here's why this means you need to save very often: You never know when you'll get a joke ending. The way I got mine was doing what I'd done in the entire game so far for the last 37 hours with no repercussions, I was ignoring the main quest to do a sidequest. I got ending M saying "your character decided to go for a walk, and everything loving exploded". I was expecting to maybe save when I got the idea that something big was going to happen. During boss fights it sort of saves for you. If you die normally you can get your corpse. If you get a joke ending you're hosed if you haven't saved recently. Don't be like me. Save every 20-30 minutes.

Ok yeah uh duh, you shouldnt be spending three hours without saving in like any game ever.

BUt also I agree, I acidentally walked the wrong direction as 9S at the start of route B and it was like "oh, 9S decided to gently caress off and do nothing for the rest of his life" and then I had to carry oil on my head again.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'm pretty sure the pod starts yelling "DUDE YOU'RE LEAVING THE OPERATION AREA GO BACK" for those endings (I think I got M like that?), but yeah, joke endings don't checkpoint you and you should probably keep that in mind.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Lol at not saving for 3 hours in a game with no autosaves.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

This game has some cool animations for the characters resetting after attacking that people probably never see

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
There are some really sick animations for chaining poo poo together. Like, if you have a large sword on your heavy attack slot, and you got from the first or second hit of a combo into a charge attack. The sword floats right over into her hands from where it's at. So good.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Snak posted:

(Big spoilers)

I've seen several people (in this thread and elsewhere on the internet) who seem to be under the impression that YorHa was created by the Machines. From what I can tell, this is simply not true.

Are you gonna share why or ?

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Opposing Farce posted:

Yeah, that's what I thought, but I've noticed people suggesting that it actually does something gameplay-wise so I wasn't sure. Maybe the fact that it has an immediately visible effect tricks people into thinking it does something more when actually it's just dodging is really good in this game already.

I haven't tested it or anything but I'm pretty sure you're invincible for that long to begin with. Dodging is really good in this game.

I got the impression that it upped damage during an evade, but maybe I was imagining it.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

So uh I don't think I'm bad at games but is it semi-normal for the tutorial to have eaten most of the small recoveries it gives you if I'm playing on normal?

I got caught a lot by the basic windmill-arms attack because it didn't appear to have much of a windup and couldn't really be escaped short of dodging. Also I dunno yet with the controls what the best way to avoid shots is, especially in three dimensions. I feel like I spent more time shooting than I should have.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Are you gonna share why or ?

Because the game never says it's true. All the archive info about the Yorha program is about android Command setting it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

bewilderment posted:

So uh I don't think I'm bad at games but is it semi-normal for the tutorial to have eaten most of the small recoveries it gives you if I'm playing on normal?

I got caught a lot by the basic windmill-arms attack because it didn't appear to have much of a windup and couldn't really be escaped short of dodging. Also I dunno yet with the controls what the best way to avoid shots is, especially in three dimensions. I feel like I spent more time shooting than I should have.

The machines always do a red eye flash before attacking. So that's your cue to be ready to dodge. As for shots, well, there's no opportunity cost to just constantly laying down a stream of attacks from your pod to keep them cleared out.