Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

gay picnic defence posted:

SEN is always like that, it's just manufactured controversy to get the bogans listening

What on earth has happened to Freo? They don't look a whole lot better than last year

I don't think any game plan would have survived the awful kicking/handballing of nearly every Freo player last night. Freo looked rusty as hell, and it wasn't helped by playing a Geelong side that setup really well, and heavily exposed Freo with their hard rebounding footy, we were completely outplayed.

Cam McCarthy looked great when he could get his hands in the ball with a little space. Geelong put so much pressure on in the middle that ball movement in the forward line was way too slow allowing the Cats to fill any space unforward, then rebound hard when Freo eventually gave the ball up.

The point was made during the call that Geelong were letting the Freo outside mids get inside and just waited for the opportunity to get it on the outside with their numbers which just cut Freo up.

Also Pav is a good commentator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!
Hey Hume - are you able to see if this was the highest scoring round one in a while?
I was looking at the scores this morning and the lowest winning score was 98 points, which is pretty bloody high.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
All in all it wasn't a bad turnout from Champion datas worst ranked midfield imo

p.s. stats are idiot garbage

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Hooray for the Crows :unsmith: Women's premiership on Saturday and knocking off the premiership fancies on Sunday! Good weekend of footy for me :allears:

There was lots to like in their match on Sunday but seeing Otten slot back in and look completely natural was one of my favourite things. It's easy to forget how drat good he was in his first full season (second in the rising star in 2009) before having two ACLs, one in each knee. Brilliant to see him back and playing quality footy :thumbsu:

NTRabbit posted:

Telstra AFL live is stupid, I'm logged in to my account on my phone and it says I have a free subscription until 2018, I log in to the same account on my desktop and it says I have no subscription

Yeah, it's a disaster trying to use the same account on multiple devices.

The free Telstra subscription seems to be linked to the phone itself, not the account. Of course it will then offer "free registration" which of course doesn't actually involve any subscription, just the creation of a username itself. As if any service in the history of the internet has charged you money to create a username and then charged you extra to use the service.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
I'm able to use the streaming on the app on both my phone (telstra service) and tablet (wifi only). I love the new feature on the tablet version where half the screen is covered in stats

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
the afl app seemed to tie itself to my gmail account and then it couldn't find an account with that email when I tried to log in on a pc. and it has root detection in the app now so I can't even run it on my tablet ~_~

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!
Because I am bored at work I am reading Robbo's The Tackle article.

Robbo posted:

DISLIKES

1. St Kilda

Stunning capitulation from a team many thought had taken the mental and physical strides to play top-notch football. The Saints’ game is based around applying pressure and winning back the ball. In the first quarter, St Kilda’s pressure factor was 2.15, which is off the charts — Sydney went at 2.00 in last year’s Grand Final — and then quarter by quarter it dropped. To 1.83 in the second quarter, which is the competition average, to 1.55 in the third quarter and 1.41 in the final quarter. They swam in concrete early and tread water in a kids pool in the final quarter.

Can someone tell me what the pressure factor is and why 2.15 is off the charts?
Also, when he mentions that it dropped quarter by quarter I can't work out if he is talking about Sydney or St. Kilda?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

pkid posted:

Because I am bored at work I am reading Robbo's The Tackle article.

Can someone tell me what the pressure factor is and why 2.15 is off the charts?
Also, when he mentions that it dropped quarter by quarter I can't work out if he is talking about Sydney or St. Kilda?

I initially read it as Sydney but it is meant to be St Kilda. Robbo is not good at writing.

As for pressure factor, I believe what he is trying to say is that the average Melbourne disposal was under that level of pressure based on the bottom row of this table

Which I found here http://championdata.fansunite.com.au/2015/08/21/16625/pressure-factor

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
He's getting pressure factor and his blood alcohol content mixed up again

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
might be time for a hair cut

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
still cant get over the afl making a spot for australia in the multicultural ambassadors and then giving it to a white guy with dreadlocks named dyson

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Yeah but Darcy Vescio is also a multicultural ambassador so all is good.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

gay picnic defence posted:

I asked Telstra about this and apparently your subscription is only for the device you paid for it on so in my case where I got it as part of my phone plan with Telstra and it had to be set up through the phone I can only watch it on the phone

Worked just fine on phone and desktop last year, they're just being cheapskates

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Finally getting a chance to sit down and watch the Suns game. That might be the worst first quarter I've ever seen this team play. Hooray, footys back. :suicide:

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

Volkerball posted:

Finally getting a chance to sit down and watch the Suns game. That might be the worst first quarter I've ever seen this team play. Hooray, footys back. :suicide:

Round 6 2011 springs to mind.
Although that was completely understandable given the team had only played 5 games before that.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

thepokey posted:

Although that was completely understandable given the team had only played 5 games before that.

you know it was a crap side if Kyle Reimers managers to kick 8 on them

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

snaeksikn posted:

still cant get over the afl making a spot for australia in the multicultural ambassadors and then giving it to a white guy with dreadlocks named dyson

Also they put down his 'ethnicity', i.e. the prople he will be representing as a multicultural ambassador, as Australian.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

pkid posted:

Hey Hume - are you able to see if this was the highest scoring round one in a while?
I was looking at the scores this morning and the lowest winning score was 98 points, which is pretty bloody high.
We had an average of 103.6 this weekend, the overall average last year was a tick under 90 off the top of my head. So pretty high. I'll run the numbers in a sec.

EDIT: OK here we go:
code:
1990 106.4
1991  94.3
1992 107.8
1993 118.2
1994 111.2
1995  86.3
1996  93.4
1997  89.3
1998  94.7
1999  97.8
2000 116.8
2001 101.4
2002 104.6
2003  97.9
2004  98.4
2005  90.0
2006  92.2
2007  87.5
2008  93.4
2009  95.3
2010  96.3
2011  88.3
2012 100.3
2013  93.6
2014  89.0
2015  86.6
2016  97.1
2017 103.6
If I recall last year started pretty brightly but then got bogged down.

The Deadly Hume fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Mar 27, 2017

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
for anyone wondering about the afl live pass not working on PC - telstra have confirmed on their support forums that you only get it on the platform you registered to and cross-platform support isnt available.. so if you redeemed it via the afl live app (ie the only way that is possible to redeem it) then you cant view replays on the website. who knows what this means to poor suckers who bought it via website..

telstra have actively made the product worse but still tell people to keep an eye out for exciting new features.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/AFL-Live/Can-t-watch-Replays-on-Mac/td-p/664191
https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/AFL-Live/AFL-site-keeps-telling-me-to-subscribe-but-I-m-already/td-p/664151

e: its blatant false advertising https://id.afl.com.au/livepass

snaeksikn fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Mar 27, 2017

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

thepokey posted:

I think it was 2013 that was the first season I started watching? It was Jack Martin's first season iirc.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Varcoe only got two down to one. :wtc:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

realbez posted:

Varcoe only got two down to one. :wtc:

Pretty hosed up considering he sent Dahlhaus flying with that bump, at this point we shouldn't be letting people that do bumps like that off because the person they hit is a tough bastard.

edit: I note that the AFL chose to completely ignore Ben Reid eye gouging Dale Morris.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Mar 27, 2017

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Vince should have got more imo. I didn't see it on the day but on replay it's ugly as gently caress

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!

NTRabbit posted:

the Ross Master System

Did that have AFL '87 or was that the Ross Mega Drive?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Someone posted this to reddit but it is pretty interesting

West Coast's comprehensive win over North Melbourne was the 15,000th game in VFL/AFL history.
  • Collingwood has the most wins from those 15,000 games, with Carlton, Essendon, Geelong and South Melbourne / Sydney rounding out the top 5. There have been 154 draws. [Table]
  • The MCG has hosted the most games, followed by Princes Park and Victoria Park. The interstate venue that has hosted the most matches is Subiaco, followed by Football Park and the SCG. The international venue that has hosted the most matches is Wellington Regional Stadium (Westpac Stadium). [Table]
  • June 4th has seen the most games, followed by June 3rd and April 24th in a tie for second place. [Graph]
  • May has been the most popular month, followed by July and then August. [Graph]
  • The 25th of the month has been the most common day of month, followed by the 30th, the 27th, the 28th, and the 4th. [Graph]
  • Saturdays have been the most popular day of the week (79.08%), followed by Sundays (12.52%), Fridays (4.59%), Mondays (3.06%), Thursdays (0.47%), Wednesdays (0.15%) and finally Tuesdays (0.14%). [Graph (logarithmic)]
  • The most common margin is 1 point, followed by 5, 2, 9 and 6. The smallest margin to have never occurred is 136 points, but 138 points has happened 5 times. [Graph]
  • The most matches played in a season is 207, which has happened every year since GWS joined the competition, except in 2015. The fewest matches played in a season was 28, which happened in 1916. [Graph]
  • It took 54.15 seasons to reach 5,000 games, another 39.06 seasons to reach 10,000, and another 26.82 seasons to reach 15,000. [Table]

While it's fun to look at actual facts, it's also fun to speculate on the future.
  • The number of matches per season has been trending upwards since 1943. [Graph]
    If the number of matches continues to increase by 1.4593 each year then it will only take another 22.45 seasons to reach 20,000 games, another 19.73 seasons to reach 25,000, and another 17.80 seasons to reach 30,000. The first 15,000 games took 120 years, the next 15,000 may only take 60 years. [Table]

The links are in the original post, can't be bothered copying them all: https://www.reddit.com/r/AFL/comments/61nv6d/north_melbourne_vs_west_coast_was_the_15000th/

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

People are criticising Erin Phillips for bringing her bubs onto the field after the game, and by people I mean noted idiot Garry Lyon

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
Male players have absolutely never brought their kids onto the ground and it certainly doesn't happen in almost every single milestone game so he raises a valid point.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
I seem to recall about 25 years ago we put jack dyer/Lou Richards and co out to pasture.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Solemn Sloth posted:

People are criticising Erin Phillips for bringing her bubs onto the field after the game, and by people I mean noted idiot Garry Lyon

*cough* Jordan Lewis 2015 *cough*

And Gary Lyon lecturing people on families, lol

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Spedman posted:

*cough* Jordan Lewis 2015 *cough*

And Gary Lyon lecturing people on families, lol

Wasn't Brian Lake driving around the MCG in a golf cart with his kids after one of their GF wins?

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Someone on SEN has complained about players bringing their kids onto the ground for milestones and GF wins every year, it is just something they feel is an actual issue people are interested in hearing about. Apparently it is Garry's turn this year

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Someone said earlier that it is SEN's job to create controversy/bring up stupid "talking points" to get the sports talkback bogans all riled up. Kids on the field is just the latest example this week. There'll be more.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Cousins got 12 months in the clink, can be paroled in 4.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Periphery posted:

Wasn't Brian Lake driving around the MCG in a golf cart with his kids after one of their GF wins?

Crawford had one of his kids on him (in a harness) as they were singing the song after 08.
During the more recent flags, most of the players had wives and kids on the ground after the win.

Might just be a "Hawthorn have old players" thing, I don't know.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Schlesische posted:

Crawford had one of his kids on him (in a harness) as they were singing the song after 08.
During the more recent flags, most of the players had wives and kids on the ground after the win.

Might just be a "Hawthorn have old players" thing, I don't know.

Family club mate

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Gary's got a point, I mean, two sheilas, is that really a family?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I'm sure they're good people, but it's not quite the same as a father and a mother, like Gary and Billy's wife.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Gary's got a point, I mean, two sheilas, is that really a family?

It's all right bringing a kid onto the ground so long as there is a real man, (no homo), out there to protect them.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Erin Phillips can do anything she wants to.

Except get married in Australia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Olympic silver, world championships gold and titles in two completely different sporting codes.

Erin Phillips is absolutely in the conversation for best Australian athlete of her generation imo.

• Locked thread