Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Bob A Feet posted:

Flying NC-AZ on a beeline Tuesday. Anybody on the radios headed that way?

What airport to what airport? Those are the 2 states I used to teach in.

Memreeeeez

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Rolo posted:

What airport to what airport? Those are the 2 states I used to teach in.

Memreeeeez

My money says New River to Yuma.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I discovered a fun new "WTF Bombardier?" feature on the Q400 yesterday.

Apparently, whoever designed the electrical system on the Q400 neglected to include anything to ensure the DC external power only flows one way, so it's possible to end up with a situation where the airplane is attempting to power the airport terminal through the ground power cart.

When this happens, it creates a massive drain on the batteries (but no warning or caution lights on the flight deck), which in turn causes all kinds of fun failure messages to pop up after the first engine is started.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

azflyboy posted:

Apparently, whoever designed the electrical system on the Q400 neglected to include anything to ensure the DC external power only flows one way, so it's possible to end up with a situation where the airplane is attempting to power the airport terminal through the ground power cart.

When this happens, it creates a massive drain on the batteries (but no warning or caution lights on the flight deck), which in turn causes all kinds of fun failure messages to pop up after the first engine is started.

:argh::canada:

Anyone fly the CS100 or CS300 yet??

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

azflyboy posted:

That sounds awesome, I'm sure such flaw doesn't exist on the CRJ... :downs:

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
Just had my first PPL lesson in a C172 in Denmark. poo poo is fun.

CraZy GrinGo
Jul 29, 2003
Veteran³
Flying around Fort Worth and Waco. I love my 407.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Per posted:

Just had my first PPL lesson in a C172 in Denmark. poo poo is fun.

Congratulations!

Before I embarrass myself and ask someone something that will be painfully obvious in retrospect: in the absence of additional instructions, how do you approach an unfamiliar FBO to park/get fuel? Do you just pull up to the pump like at a gas station with a car and talk with someone and/or follow any signals (that's what I'd probably default to doing), or is there some kind of defined procedure? I've fuelled at my home airport, and I've fuelled at a cardlock, but never at a large-ish airport I'm unfamiliar with.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

PT6A posted:

Congratulations!

Before I embarrass myself and ask someone something that will be painfully obvious in retrospect: in the absence of additional instructions, how do you approach an unfamiliar FBO to park/get fuel? Do you just pull up to the pump like at a gas station with a car and talk with someone and/or follow any signals (that's what I'd probably default to doing), or is there some kind of defined procedure? I've fuelled at my home airport, and I've fuelled at a cardlock, but never at a large-ish airport I'm unfamiliar with.

Crack open your CFS; every FBO typically will have an advisory frequency that you should contact at some point before you arrive to let them know what you're looking for and whether or not they can accommodate you. Whether you do this in the air or not is up to you. I mean, you could even give them a call too before you leave if you really wanted, their phone numbers are in the CFS or online as well.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

MrChips posted:

Crack open your CFS; every FBO typically will have an advisory frequency that you should contact at some point before you arrive to let them know what you're looking for and whether or not they can accommodate you. Whether you do this in the air or not is up to you. I mean, you could even give them a call too before you leave if you really wanted, their phone numbers are in the CFS or online as well.

I e-mailed them, they said they can offer fuel, didn't ask for more specific prior notice, and they didn't give me any specific instructions beyond how to get there once you land, and I was feeling a bit self-conscious about asking for more specific advice -- I didn't know if it's something I should know already, or what. No advisory frequency is listed in the CFS or on their website, although there are other FBOs at the airport that do have that listed.

Should I just ask them for more info, and explain that this is my first time at a Big Boy Airport? :v:

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe
I typically call ahead and ask. I give them a heads up what I'm flying in with, what kind of fuel it takes, and an window of time I'll likely show up. I can book a car with them this way if I need or anything else. I taxi direct. Usually someone meets me there with a tug or a golf cart and directs to where I can shut down. YMMV.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Cool, I always overthink this sort of thing...

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I probably should've called ahead, but the extent of my FBO call-aheads when doing XCs for time-building was telling tower or approach "8JA's goin' to Lane/Signature/Million Air".

A call in advance would make sure you don't get grossly overcharged, though. One of our 172SPs had a registration which was in Signature's system as a Lear 35 and the desk girl at IND was hearing no different. Thank gently caress I had a credit card to pay the $285 ramp fee in spite of insisting I was flying a motherfucking four-seat piston prop and even POINTING TO THE AIRPLANE ON THE RAMP TO THE RAMP GUY . :ramsay:

(I called them when I got back and whoever I talked to said "Wait, a 172's a single-engine, right?" :downsbravo: Our FBO manager had to fax them a form with the N-number, S/N, type, and a bunch of other stuff for them to update and I got a refund of $260.)

e- Also, pay your landing fee. I went on another XC and almost got stuck paying for whoever took that plane in there the last time and jumped the ramp fee. Our FBO picked it up when I called and had the two desk clerks talk over the phone.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 23, 2017

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

One of our 172SPs had a registration which was in Signature's system as a Lear 35 and the desk girl at IND was hearing no different. Thank gently caress I had a credit card to pay the $285 ramp fee in spite of insisting I was flying a motherfucking four-seat piston prop and even POINTING TO THE AIRPLANE ON THE RAMP TO THE RAMP GUY . :ramsay:

What was she going to do if you didn't pay the $285?

Did she also insist on fueling you with Jet-A? I mean, what the gently caress with this whole thing?

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.

CBJSprague24 posted:

I probably should've called ahead, but the extent of my FBO call-aheads when doing XCs for time-building was telling tower or approach "8JA's goin' to Lane/Signature/Million Air".

A call in advance would make sure you don't get grossly overcharged, though. One of our 172SPs had a registration which was in Signature's system as a Lear 35 and the desk girl at IND was hearing no different. Thank gently caress I had a credit card to pay the $285 ramp fee in spite of insisting I was flying a motherfucking four-seat piston prop and even POINTING TO THE AIRPLANE ON THE RAMP TO THE RAMP GUY . :ramsay:

(I called them when I got back and whoever I talked to said "Wait, a 172's a single-engine, right?" :downsbravo: Our FBO manager had to fax them a form with the N-number, S/N, type, and a bunch of other stuff for them to update and I got a refund of $260.)

e- Also, pay your landing fee. I went on another XC and almost got stuck paying for whoever took that plane in there the last time and jumped the ramp fee. Our FBO picked it up when I called and had the two desk clerks talk over the phone.

Crazy. I feel like that could have been solved with a quick google search or asking a line guy.

When I was flying the Pilatus I used to jokingly ask for the single engine prop rate from the girls at the front desk and honestly some of them didn't know the difference between that and a skyhawk.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Two Kings posted:

Crazy. I feel like that could have been solved with a quick google search or asking a line guy.

When I was flying the Pilatus I used to jokingly ask for the single engine prop rate from the girls at the front desk and honestly some of them didn't know the difference between that and a skyhawk.

Their fault for not specifying piston. :v:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

sleepy gary posted:

What was she going to do if you didn't pay the $285?

Did she also insist on fueling you with Jet-A? I mean, what the gently caress with this whole thing?

I have no idea. I'd have been even more screwed if I didn't have a credit card to put it on, and I'd imagine some of the other students didn't. I didn't need fuel, as I'd fueled enough to get me over and back (only about 100NM) plus 30 minutes. I guess it would've ended with "If you'd come out here with me, I'll show you my headset, my logbook, my Vertically Challenged Person's seat cushion, and the bag of snacks I bring along with me, all sitting in this Not A Learjet At All airplane."

That's why I called them as soon as I got back and downloaded the form for our FBO's line manager to fill out and shoot back to them. I was making sure it didn't happen to anyone else. I handled it as best I could, but I'd have flipped a poo poo if they didn't refund the difference.

Two Kings posted:

Could've searched the FAA N-number database, too. I get not being able to recognize airplanes, but Cessna 172SP /= Lear 35.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

PT6A posted:

Cool, I always overthink this sort of thing...

The one time I didn't do a phone-ahead they didn't have enough fuel in their single truck (this was whatever FBO is at Baton Rouge) and I had to wait 2 hours while they fueled their truck at a fuel farm. I wouldn't worry about over thinking it. Besides, if you call ahead, you greatly increase your chances of free poo poo if you're buying enough gas.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I have heard that one time on a xc some students got stuck in Kingston overnight because they didn't call ahead. The refueling place was closed, and they didn't have enough fuel to take off again so they have to sleep in their 172.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

bunnyofdoom posted:

I have heard that one time on a xc some students got stuck in Kingston overnight because they didn't call ahead. The refueling place was closed, and they didn't have enough fuel to take off again so they have to sleep in their 172.

Good practice for their future careers at a regional! :v:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Anyone ever work for or know anyone who has worked for Avenge Inc flying king airs overseas in combat zones doing ISR work? The pay and schedule seem pretty decent and I check off all their requirements and then some. I'm thinking about applying.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Coulda just hopped over to Brock-vegas for some fuel, it's like 15-20 mins away.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Desi posted:

Coulda just hopped over to Brock-vegas for some fuel, it's like 15-20 mins away.

I'm just reporting a story I heard from our mutual french friend who just got his work permit.

(also, he told the story while pretty shammered)

EDIT: They may have been below half when they landed, which means no re-taking off

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

e.pilot posted:

Anyone ever work for or know anyone who has worked for Avenge Inc flying king airs overseas in combat zones doing ISR work? The pay and schedule seem pretty decent and I check off all their requirements and then some. I'm thinking about applying.

Not by that contract but I know of a few guys who've done it. Transitioning military pilots who did it for like a year for hours then hopped into the airlines.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

bunnyofdoom posted:

EDIT: They may have been below half when they landed, which means no re-taking off

That has to be a stupid school policy right?

What do they do if someone wants to fly with four people on board and requests half tanks?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

helno posted:

What do they do if someone wants to fly with four people on board and requests half tanks?

Usually these sorts of things can be overridden on a case-by-case basis by the CFI, like at our school for landing on grass or gravel.

Speaking of which, I finally asked about why we fly richer during cruise than recommended by the POH, and why we don't lean the mixture for takeoff, and it turns out it's because students kept over-leaning the mixture and then causing brown stains on the upholstery when the engine died :v:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

helno posted:

Yeah our school is if you are below half, no take-off. If you are at half, you are fine.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Apparently some of the pilots at my airline have issues with the whole "stay away from the ground" thing, since management has essentially us from flying visual approaches at night for the next 60 days.

This isn't an issue at most of the airports we fly into, but since we also neglected to inform anyone in ATC about this change (management decided we didn't need an ATC liaison any more) , the approach controllers in PDX and SEA now think our pilots are either blind or retarded.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
I don't get it. We just have specific rules for night visuals at GEG for example (published segment or a min alt til a published segment) but like nothing for sea or pdx as it's bright and nothing to hit on base, basically I mean...

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I don't get it either.

Specifically, we're not allowed to accept a visual approach at night until we're established on a published portion of an instrument approach or charted visual, which doesn't work in places like SEA and PDX where they're expecting us accept the visual somewhere between the downwind and a 45 to final.

The memo didn't get into specifics, but it sounds like we had some flights get saved from CFIT by the GPWS going off, and it was happening at airports where there isn't any terrain to deal with.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

azflyboy posted:

and it was happening at airports where there isn't any terrain to deal with.

:stare:

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005

bunnyofdoom posted:

Yeah our school is if you are below half, no take-off. If you are at half, you are fine.

Seems like a stupid rule but at the same time, its simplicity is genius. If you took off full tanks and have less than have tanks when you land somewhere (assuming you did a one stopper), the possibility of you flaming out is loving huge. Easy way to safe a dumb student's life.

azflyboy posted:

I don't get it either.

Specifically, we're not allowed to accept a visual approach at night until we're established on a published portion of an instrument approach or charted visual, which doesn't work in places like SEA and PDX where they're expecting us accept the visual somewhere between the downwind and a 45 to final.

The memo didn't get into specifics, but it sounds like we had some flights get saved from CFIT by the GPWS going off, and it was happening at airports where there isn't any terrain to deal with.

Do you guys have radar altimeters?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Bob A Feet posted:

Do you guys have radar altimeters?

We do, but we don't use the radar altimeter lindication very much, so it's largely there to provide data to the EGPWS setup.

Normally, the only times we look for a specific radar altitude are the DH on a CAT III ILS and during low level windshear escape maneuvers, since the vast majority of our SOP's work off of barometric altitudes.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

Bob A Feet posted:

Seems like a stupid rule but at the same time, its simplicity is genius. If you took off full tanks and have less than have tanks when you land somewhere (assuming you did a one stopper), the possibility of you flaming out is loving huge. Easy way to safe a dumb student's life.

Yeah I used to teach at said school, and as I'm sure OP can attest to, we did have a disproportionate number of dumb students (him, obviously, not included). The rule was actually a holdover from when we used to fly DA20-A1s, and when I left (over a year ago) there was some discussion of revising it to be time based given it had become a mixed-bag fleet of standard/long-range 172s - something like no take-offs with less than 90min fuel. Guess that never happened.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Desi posted:

Yeah I used to teach at said school, and as I'm sure OP can attest to, we did have a disproportionate number of dumb students (him, obviously, not included). The rule was actually a holdover from when we used to fly DA20-A1s, and when I left (over a year ago) there was some discussion of revising it to be time based given it had become a mixed-bag fleet of standard/long-range 172s - something like no take-offs with less than 90min fuel. Guess that never happened.

As far as I know, our school/flying club says "fuel before your flight if you're under half" but I'm pretty sure it can be waived on a case-by-case basis if you're weight-limited, or if you've planned a flight and been dispatched with a fuel plan that would have you take off at an intermediate stop with under half a tank.

One of my fellow students was all nervous because he came back with 8 gallons in the tank from a long cross country (after encountering a very strong LLJS), but given that it was daytime, that was still twice the required reserves by law, and roughly 15 minutes more than the reserves required by club policy.

Speaking of which, my long cross country didn't go... the plane needed scheduled maintenance, and also the ceiling in Regina (where I was going, in case that wasn't clear) was hovering around a very VFR-unfriendly 700' AGL in any case. Next week, hopefully!

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Oh man I spent all my money on bikes but now I'm getting the urge to smash bugs and huff leaded gas. I also really want to get my PPL before my parents visit in July.

PT6A come fly east and land at YAV and I'll take you for a tour of my stomping grounds.You can learn first hand that I really am playing it up in the Canpoli threads most of the time.

Edit: for Regina apparently that fog happens all the time the last time I flew in there in the back of a Dash 8 they had to do a go around and on the second attempt they put it down despite the fact that you couldn't see the ground until we were already across the fence. I'm not quite sure that landing was legal but they didn't have enough fuel for a third attempt and didn't want to divert.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Mar 28, 2017

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

EvilJoven posted:

PT6A come fly east and land at YAV and I'll take you for a tour of my stomping grounds.You can learn first hand that I really am playing it up in the Canpoli threads most of the time.

I've considered it actually, I have a buddy I want to visit in Pukatawagan, but it might not end up happening because he's moving to Ottawa in a few months. But either way I might come through... it'd be very cool to fly all the way to the east coast and be able to say I've seen the whole country. It depends on me being able to rent a plane for a long, long trip like that, which would probably end up being the biggest issue.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Unless you want to fork over a ton of money to build time in a twin and even then I'd take the route south across upper Michigan rather than going around the north side of Superior. There's nothing but trees with rocks underneath or open water for hundreds of miles if you have an engine out.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

EvilJoven posted:

Unless you want to fork over a ton of money to build time in a twin and even then I'd take the route south across upper Michigan rather than going around the north side of Superior. There's nothing but trees with rocks underneath or open water for hundreds of miles if you have an engine out.

I looked at that area on ForeFlight and wow you aren't loving kidding. Makes Eastern Alberta and Saskatchewan look positively buzzing with activity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
Another video, this one from crosswind landing practice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooOyIqyaaTI

Anyone with a gopro have good suggestions on how to set it up for a cool shot? I've tried out the front and out the left wing so far, and I have a head mount I might try out later this week.

• Locked thread