Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Two Finger posted:

ya they all loving blow, i've got a dhan which on the face of it looks like it would do really good damage but it loving blows
two headshots to kill a loving adhi on bronze

speaking of sniper rifles has anyone worked out what the noscope penalty is yet?

Going by my experiences with the Raptor and the Black Widow, there's an accuracy penalty, but no damage penalty. I very luckily no-scoped a couple of adhi in the head a with the Black Widow and they got one-shot, so I guess there's no damage penalty.

Zakmonster fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Yup. I remember when I was grinding out the challenges for ME3 I discovered that the Hornet SMG, which was widely panned, became a laser pointer death machine with enough stability consumables. It would drill 6 shots at exactly where you were pointing and did outrageous amounts of damage because of it.

I don't see things like that happening in this, the guns aren't even 'very specific niche usable' anymore :(

Zakmonster posted:

Going by my experiences with the Raptor and the Black Widow, there's an accuracy penalty, but no damage penalty. I very luckily no-scoped an adhi in the head a couple of times with the Black Widow and it got one-shot, so I guess there's no damage penalty.

Oh really? The loading screen tips said there was a penalty and I think it was 50% in ME3 so I assumed it was the same.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Zakmonster posted:

I think the issue is that shots at center-mass do pitiful damage compared to aiming for a weakpoint/headshot. There is a significant difference in killspeed, even when you're using a sniper rifle.

Speaking of which, I feel like I'm having a much harder time landing headshots consistently in this than I did in ME3 multiplayer. Not sure what it is but I'm wondering if anyone else feels the same.

Orv
May 4, 2011
A lot of the mooks twitch around a lot and the weak point boxes seem pretty tight, might be that.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Two Finger posted:

Yup. I remember when I was grinding out the challenges for ME3 I discovered that the Hornet SMG, which was widely panned, became a laser pointer death machine with enough stability consumables. It would drill 6 shots at exactly where you were pointing and did outrageous amounts of damage because of it.

I don't see things like that happening in this, the guns aren't even 'very specific niche usable' anymore :(

Oh really? The loading screen tips said there was a penalty and I think it was 50% in ME3 so I assumed it was the same.

It is possible that the Black Widow does so much damage with a headshot (this was on a human soldier), that it would kill something even with a damage penalty. I vaguely recall that a no-scope body shot on an Outlaw (on Bronze) with a Widow doesn't kill the guy, so maybe the damage penalty still does exist. I only used the Widow one time earlier this week and I'm not very good with it, so I don't know if I actually just missed or what.

Hulk Krogan posted:

Speaking of which, I feel like I'm having a much harder time landing headshots consistently in this than I did in ME3 multiplayer. Not sure what it is but I'm wondering if anyone else feels the same.

Don't aim for the dome, aim for the face. For Adhi and Wraiths, aim for the mouth or top of the head.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Hulk Krogan posted:

Absolutely. Something feels extremely off about the critical spot hitboxes. I have had more headshots trigger off of shooting krogans in their shoulders and back of all things than their heads, blasting a wraith with a shotgun from so close that the reticle is completely filled by its head doesn't cause a headshot, getting headshots on enemies who are moving at all seems nearly impossible, etc. I still can't figure out where on earth the crit spot for the assembler, observer and nullifier are supposed to be because I will shoot at the exact same spot two times in a row and one of them will be a crit and one of them won't. One time I was shooting at some kett who got lifted with Pull, using a scoped weapon with the crosshair entirely filled by their head, and the bullets just passed right through them. Didn't even count as a body hit.

It feels like the game is somehow moving the head hitbox separately from the body hitbox, and doing so in a glitchy way that does not often result in the head hitbox actually being where it should be.

If it actually is working perfectly, then these are the most obnoxiously tiny and fiddly crit spots in any game I've ever played.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 27, 2017

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Which options do you guys pick for charge? Radius(down), Weapons+Melee(up), and Shock Trooper(up)?

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

RatHat posted:

Which options do you guys pick for charge? Radius(down), Weapons+Melee(up), and Shock Trooper(up)?

Fourth is whatevs, fifth is melee, sixth is bastion because the DR and full shields is so good. With the cooldown passives you can spam it every 5 second anyway.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

RatHat posted:

I would pick Bastion instead of Shock Trooper. It can save you from being one shot by some of boss enemies. Its saved me multiple times from a Hyrda and Ascendant.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Hackan Slash posted:

Fourth is whatevs, fifth is melee, sixth is bastion because the DR and full shields is so good. With the cooldown passives you can spam it every 5 second anyway.

yeah that DR is pretty vital
shock trooper is good i guess but if you're running light enough your cooldown isn't massively different

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
Outside the charge burst, is there anything redeeming about the Zalkin? Right now, it's just a raygun mattock, which is kind of lackluster.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The best shotgun is the Talon. I feel like getting lucky early with Talon, Isharay, Vanquisher, and Eagle means I won't be using any other guns for quite a while.

I've got the Hesh up to 3 and it's still nowhere near as good as Talon at 1.

I think some guns are going to get hit hard with the nerf stick. The Isharay is another one.

e: hip-firing Sniper Rifles definitely incurs a heavy damage penalty in this one as well, I've tried it with the Isharay and the game is not having it

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I concur, the Talon is my go-to gun for right now

I'm actually starting to wonder if they hosed up and made every pellet count as full damage since it's a pistol class

moist turtleneck fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 27, 2017

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I got the scorpion pistol. Feels like a fun pistol to have, I probably should get that extra ammo perk. Only 30 more points.

Anyone feels like this multiplayer would be just as good as me3 if they could do one solid big patch? Upload fixes, weapon tweaks, melee tweaks, some camera juttiries that could be resolved. They're so close but still has problems.

Finally, just so I understand the reason, the main idea behind getting common packs until you max stuff out is because once you level them up to ten, they drop off the loot table for the higher level packs? Plus some of the starter classes are pretty decent like infritrator.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Ineffiable posted:

Finally, just so I understand the reason, the main idea behind getting common packs until you max stuff out is because once you level them up to ten, they drop off the loot table for the higher level packs? Plus some of the starter classes are pretty decent like infritrator.

Correct, once you've maxed out a character/weapon/weapon mod, it's removed from the drop table and won't show up anymore, so you've got better chances of getting poo poo you don't have yet/don't have maxed.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Nah, the Talon was just as good in ME3MP actually. It's just an insane gun.

I got my first Rare class... Asari Huntress. Eh. Probably the one I wanted least.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Correct, once you've maxed out a character/weapon/weapon mod, it's removed from the drop table and won't show up anymore, so you've got better chances of getting poo poo you don't have yet/don't have maxed.

Thanks. I'll work my way up. It's annoying because it'll take a while but it pays off in the long run. I think people also recommend usually getting the second to last most expensive pack, rarely do you ever want to buy the most expensive one.

Plus I'm sure it really helps having some maxed out common solid classes/weapons you can always hold on to just to do a quick apex silver/gold run.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Anyone having a problem where you select to do they daily mission(?) and it puts you in a lobby for the same map and enemies but it doesn't count for that mission?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ineffiable posted:

Thanks. I'll work my way up. It's annoying because it'll take a while but it pays off in the long run. I think people also recommend usually getting the second to last most expensive pack, rarely do you ever want to buy the most expensive one.

You don't want to buy the 100k credit box unless you're really into gambling, yeah. It's the best way to max out Rares, but it's the slowest way to get a Rare you don't already have. You also end up getting a lot less booster items and those are pretty great to use. The XP boosters in particular are insanely useful.

In ME3 the way the math worked out was that 20k boxes were the best way to max Uncommons and get a lucky Rare. In this one, I don't think there are many Uncommon weapons (or in fact any) that you should try to max out, it would be much more sane to go for the box with the guaranteed Rare and hope you get a Talon/Isharay/Revenant

If you want to max out all the character cards you definitely want to just move from 5k boxes to 20k to 50k though, and a lot of the Uncommon classes completely own so you should buy lots of 20k packs sometimes.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Sorry for the double post, but wow, I'm really surprised at how much they supported ME3. I dabbled in the multiplayer but never followed it fully.

For background information, they provided 5 'expansion' packs for free, for one year of support. The first 3 came out within almost one month of each other (plus one month of the game being released) the 4th one came a couple months later, as well as the 5th one was released a few months later after.

Honestly, I'm hoping they do at least one expansion release for summer opening, and one expansion that comes out mid summer. Summer is pretty dry for releases, that's a good time to spend on ME:A. I know some of us are probably expecting the same level of support that ME3 got, but, who knows.

precision posted:

You don't want to buy the 100k credit box unless you're really into gambling, yeah. It's the best way to max out Rares, but it's the slowest way to get a Rare you don't already have. You also end up getting a lot less booster items and those are pretty great to use. The XP boosters in particular are insanely useful.

In ME3 the way the math worked out was that 20k boxes were the best way to max Uncommons and get a lucky Rare. In this one, I don't think there are many Uncommon weapons (or in fact any) that you should try to max out, it would be much more sane to go for the box with the guaranteed Rare and hope you get a Talon/Isharay/Revenant

If you want to max out all the character cards you definitely want to just move from 5k boxes to 20k to 50k though, and a lot of the Uncommon classes completely own so you should buy lots of 20k packs sometimes.

Yeah the 100k seems like you should stay away from it. Even if you have an ultra-rare to go after, there seems to be plenty of good rares, so you might as well get 10 'cards' using two 50k boxes, instead of 5 cards using one 100k box. I'm gonna work on maxing out the 5k boxes. Does the game even provide any indication on 'hey you have all the commons, you should try to buy the next level box'

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Mar 27, 2017

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
In all fairness though, they had weekly balance patches for ME3, tweaking numbers on guns and classes to make sure they were competitive. There was even a desync bug with Vanguards where if you weren't the host, you'd end up hopelessly floating over the map halfway through the match, which eventually got fixed. Hopefully the team doesn't get too discouraged by the bad reception the game is getting and give MEA as much attention as ME3 got.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Ineffiable posted:

Yeah the 100k seems like you should stay away from it. Even if you have an ultra-rare to go after, there seems to be plenty of good rares, so you might as well get 10 'cards' using two 50k boxes, instead of 5 cards using one 100k box. I'm gonna work on maxing out the 5k boxes. Does the game even provide any indication on 'hey you have all the commons, you should try to buy the next level box'

You can go under Prestige > Collections and it'll show you everything you can get off loot boxes. You can filter by rarity and it'll show you what you have.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Zakmonster posted:

In all fairness though, they had weekly balance patches for ME3, tweaking numbers on guns and classes to make sure they were competitive. There was even a desync bug with Vanguards where if you weren't the host, you'd end up hopelessly floating over the map halfway through the match, which eventually got fixed. Hopefully the team doesn't get too discouraged by the bad reception the game is getting and give MEA as much attention as ME3 got.

You have to admit, that's INCREDIBLY active for a developer. We've got huge studios like EA/Dice with Battlefield 1, and it takes a long time to make fixes/updates.

I really do hope that EA/Bioware/whoever is actually working on ME:A post launch realize that if they can fix up the multiplayer, they can make some good money off it for a few months. Not much can be done about the single player though, they're likely better off trying to discount the game/put it on sale and try to release a few patches. They've lost the most important battle of first impression. Probably a good idea not to do ANY single player DLC.

We'll see how it goes though, if it takes them 1-2 months to release the first expansion/tweaks or something, it's likely a bad sign.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
There were clear limits to what they could do in the weekly updates since the bigger changes had to wait for the major patches.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
The fact that they had no Day 1 DLC was a good sign.

And ME3 MP took maybe a month before they started with the balancing, I guess because not enough people were playing before then. Even now I keep seeing the same people over and over again, so I'm guessing the pool of players is still limited. Most people still going through the SP.

And the first expansion DLC was quite a while after launch, so I'm not sure if the 1-2 month window is fair.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Zakmonster posted:

The fact that they had no Day 1 DLC was a good sign.

And ME3 MP took maybe a month before they started with the balancing, I guess because not enough people were playing before then. Even now I keep seeing the same people over and over again, so I'm guessing the pool of players is still limited. Most people still going through the SP.

And the first expansion DLC was quite a while after launch, so I'm not sure if the 1-2 month window is fair.

Really? I'm seeing that me3 was out in March, the first multiplayer expansion dlc was out in April. One month. And that's from when they didn't expect multiplayer to be as big.

I have to imagine player participantion in multiplayer is a little low, not due to just people playing through the story but the fact that there's admittedly like 6 games that scored a meta critic average higher than me:a that just came out in the last 2 months! Too many games to play.

Edit:to clarify, I would hope they would say something about multiplayer plans or at least a patch that affected multiplayer balance within the next month or two.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
poo poo really? I always thought it took longer than a month before the first one came out. Shows what little I remember.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Zakmonster posted:

poo poo really? I always thought it took longer than a month before the first one came out. Shows what little I remember.

Memories can be funny like that. It could feel like ages between two certain points when it really was around the same time.

Anyways I'm still spending like 50% of my gaming time on story mode 25% on multi and 25% on other games. It's gonna take me a while to get bored/completed with me:a but I really do hope they at least show some rough plans or provide balancing within 2 months. It'd give me confidence in actually playing the multiplayer for most of the summer.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't know if it will be the insane runaway success that ME3MP was, but MEA is getting great word of mouth to counter the critical reception. It's a wild situation right now, because the game sold a fuckton initially as expected, like with DA2, but DA2 was a terrible game that was secretly kind of OK, whereas ME:A is a great game that is secretly a little bit terrible but all the reviews seem to have docked it points for the negatives without taking into account how great the positives are. So it's really hard to say how well the MP will do!

But like I said in the main thread, at the point I'm at now (I've visited the first 3 planets and done 1 major story event after meeting Jaal but not even started colonizing the ice world) even if the rest of the game were terrible it would already be a big step up from ME3.

The thing that's a real sticking point, I think, is that ME2 and 3 cultivated a fanbase of players who are used to a certain level of "pick up and play" or ease of use. ME:A asks you to engage with it like it's a proper RPG, with large explorable areas and towns and tons of downtime between shooting galleries. Like you can play for 3 hours and barely shoot anything, which never happened in ME2 or 3, especially 2 with its mission structure.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

That's true. You have to admit there are people who would still play it entirely for multiplayer. I guess time will tell, I'll at least try to give the first expansion pack a try, but hopefully it comes sooner than later.
The problem is the game allowed it to be so easily made fun of, so now we have hundreds of cherry picked gifs of horrible animations. But there's a lot about the game that's pretty fun, like colonizing planets is a major step up.

It really doesn't help that we've gotten like 6 games since the beginning of 2017 that are all solid 9+. Me:a has terrible first impressions and it'll be flooded by all the great reviewed games we've gotten already.

And persona is coming out soon so that's another solid 9+ game that'll also specifically grab those rpg lovers.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

precision posted:

The thing that's a real sticking point, I think, is that ME2 and 3 cultivated a fanbase of players who are used to a certain level of "pick up and play" or ease of use. ME:A asks you to engage with it like it's a proper RPG, with large explorable areas and towns and tons of downtime between shooting galleries. Like you can play for 3 hours and barely shoot anything, which never happened in ME2 or 3, especially 2 with its mission structure.

I really disliked the missions in ME2 replacing basically all movement outside the ship. As the game went on it grew on me. ME3 did alot better at hiding that your are on a mission while doing stuff.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
Yeah, in all fairness I do enjoy the SP even with the janky faces. One of the weirdest criticisms of the game is that it throws you into the deep-end with little hand-holding and you just have to explore content, which I personally think is great.

And even if you want to drive around and shoot mans like space Mad Max, there's nothing preventing you from ignoring all story beats and doing exactly that. The game respawns enemies at a fast rate, you could spend hours driving around a planet killing Kett and never talk to a single person. That's one of the highlights of the game for me that is better than ME2/3. I enjoy the combat in SP, but in the previous installments I couldn't just decide to return to a previous mission area to go shoot some baddies (with the exception of the Combat Arena in ME3's Citadel DLC). Most, if not all the fighting was story-driven.

This time, it's whatever. You can avoid all combat or you can have nothing but combat. I like that Bethesda-esque freedom.

I also enjoy the improved enemy AI, and their HP scaling doesn't seem that bad this time around. I'm playing on Hardcore and it feels a little bit harder than Silver, and especially with the larger open spaces in SP, you can get flanked very easily so it's constantly a challenge. Mobs deciding to not cluster together as much also means your combo detonations have less of an impact, so you have to use it a bit more tactically. It's a lot more fun than people give it credit for.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Anyone complaining about driving around a barren planet doing nothing has not played Mass Effect 1. Why doesn't car get a gun?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

Anyone complaining about driving around a barren planet doing nothing has not played Mass Effect 1. Why doesn't car get a gun?

Not sure but would appreciate reserving this thread for mp chat only :)

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
Fair enough.

Backlash Rank 5: More aegis health or 100% damage returned? I took the former but I have a feeling that the latter might be better.

Also, one of the tooltips said that energy weapons were best for taking down shields, but I haven't had a chance to test it out. There might be some correlation because when I was using the P.A.W. on the Asari Sentinel fighting against Remnant, the weapon was making very short work of them, but when I tried it out on Outlaw with the Human Soldier, it was basically a laser pointer. Is there some kind of hidden damage modifier I'm not aware of?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
ME3 multi is still played to this day even on the old consoles, hopefully MEA has the same lifespan.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The maps for ME3 were smaller weren't they? I got it on the ps3, it's been along time since I used it. I only really remember that earth map with the center on fire.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tenzarin posted:

The maps for ME3 were smaller weren't they? I got it on the ps3, it's been along time since I used it. I only really remember that earth map with the center on fire.

They varied, some where tiny others where huge.

Edit: One thing I greatly dislike about the multi here is the name plates, the images for milestones in ME3 where so much better like Biotic God or Nomad(the only milestone that actually mattered. :smug:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Tenzarin posted:

The maps for ME3 were smaller weren't they? I got it on the ps3, it's been along time since I used it.

Hydra and Rio were huge. The maps had less verticality though, except for Dagger and maybe Jade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ineffiable posted:

I got the scorpion pistol. Feels like a fun pistol to have, I probably should get that extra ammo perk. Only 30 more points.

Anyone feels like this multiplayer would be just as good as me3 if they could do one solid big patch? Upload fixes, weapon tweaks, melee tweaks, some camera juttiries that could be resolved. They're so close but still has problems.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

This is dependent on how the game calculates what shows up in packs, which we don't know. It's entirely possible that commons being available will only reduce the chance of getting a booster or consumable, not another kind of item.

Either way the real reason to do it is because weapon mods generally have a much lower chance of appearing than anything else, so you'll need to get through the common weapons and classes before you'll get most of the mods. And having two mods for each weapon compared to none is basically just a buff for your weapons across the board, so you'll want those common mods.

Ineffiable posted:

I really do hope that EA/Bioware/whoever is actually working on ME:A post launch realize that if they can fix up the multiplayer, they can make some good money off it for a few months. Not much can be done about the single player though, they're likely better off trying to discount the game/put it on sale and try to release a few patches. They've lost the most important battle of first impression. Probably a good idea not to do ANY single player DLC.

What will actually happen: An EA suit confusedly stares at andromeda's metacritic reception, then at the words "no season pass or day 1 DLC" on a nearby whiteboard, then back to metacritic, then back to the whiteboard. His jaw slowly falls open and a dim incandescent lightbulb briefly appears over his head, flickers, and blows out.

• Locked thread