Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motto
Aug 3, 2013

You can swap between the free movement and regular combat so I think it's just a visual thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

^ oh

Quest For Glory II posted:

e: apparently DQ11's combat is like FF12 with free movement. weird

????

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

There needs to be a game with the core gameplay (especially including feel of the weapons) of Monster Hunter but without the obtuseness of goddamn everything else in that game

I wanted to get Toukiden 2 but from the demo at least the weapons are just too fast and weightless, just like it was for God Eater

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

a kitten posted:

That kid is ready to gently caress some poo poo up.

Seems like that little idiot fucker would have less trouble if he didn't wrap the controller cable around himself a dozen times.

Shovel Knight only banks on nostalgia as far as the 8-bit aesthetic, its selling point wasn't being lovely Megaman or N64 Platformer Reskin.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it sucks that god eater is just kind of ok because it has a goddamn killer soundtrack, from namco bandai's resident insanely good music guy who only does music for like a quarter of their games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w5v_BprA60
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU5ivlkaHlg

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just started playing Skyrim. The last Elder Scrolls game I played, it was a good idea to always be jumping in order to level up your jump skill. Does Skyrim still do that?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

raditts posted:

Shovel Knight only banks on nostalgia as far as the 8-bit aesthetic, its selling point wasn't being lovely Megaman or N64 Platformer Reskin.

I dunno, it seems a bit like splitting hairs to try and say that Shovel Knight wasn't intending its 8-bit Megaman/Ducktales platformer stylings to be a big selling point, gameplay included, it's just that Yacht Club also made a really good game to go with it instead of simply checking out once the art was done. Shovel Knight was their first game and while it's easy to say now with the benefit of hindsight that it was worth the asking price there probably wasn't any more way of knowing ahead of time that it would turn out to be decent than people had with Mighty No. 9 until after it started to come to light that oh wait, this actually looks terrible.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Guy Goodbody posted:

I just started playing Skyrim. The last Elder Scrolls game I played, it was a good idea to always be jumping in order to level up your jump skill. Does Skyrim still do that?

acrobatics and athletics aren't skills anymore

neither is punching

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Kai Tave posted:

I dunno, it seems a bit like splitting hairs to try and say that Shovel Knight wasn't intending its 8-bit Megaman/Ducktales platformer stylings to be a big selling point, gameplay included, it's just that Yacht Club also made a really good game to go with it instead of simply checking out once the art was done. Shovel Knight was their first game and while it's easy to say now with the benefit of hindsight that it was worth the asking price there probably wasn't any more way of knowing ahead of time that it would turn out to be decent than people had with Mighty No. 9 until after it started to come to light that oh wait, this actually looks terrible.
I think the difference is that Shovel Knight actually sent out alphas to streamers and tastemakers when the Kickstarter was live (it got a huge signal boost from game grumps for example). Mighty No 9 was just like "uh heres footage from an alpha that we spent an hour on. PSYCHE the actual game is entirely different"

also I think that in general indies have been very good with Kickstarter, if you were to look at that page on the kickstarter site that shows all the games that made it to completion. there's something different and maybe odder when it's a traditional studio coming to kickstarter, like comcept or inti creates, that may not really understand the whole deal. i think that people were led to trust these studios because they had 'experience' in the industry but experience in the industry and experience in terms of: fulfillment, keeping people updated, having reasonable goals and deadlines... it's completely different

one last thing: indie developers are known for plugging away at something even if its not their living. if a kickstarter fails they'd probably still try and get their game finished but in their spare time, even if it takes forever, until it's exactly how they want it to be.

to a studio like inti creates/comcept or whatever, they've no doubt been in positions where if a self-made IP is not shaping up, they just say "eh throw it in the garbage" and move on to a different project. but they can't do that with MN9 when they were funded by the public. so they just, i guess, decided to push a lovely game through to completion even though they may have known it was a turd, instead of just telling people "look it's gonna take even longer but it needs to be good before we can release it."

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Mar 27, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Colonel posted:

acrobatics and athletics aren't skills anymore

neither is punching

That's genuinely disappointing

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like skyrim infinitely more than oblivion but i can't deny that it loses a lot of the most fun broken mechanical stuff and that's lame

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Ciaphas posted:

There needs to be a game with the core gameplay (especially including feel of the weapons) of Monster Hunter but without the obtuseness of goddamn everything else in that game

I wanted to get Toukiden 2 but from the demo at least the weapons are just too fast and weightless, just like it was for God Eater

Horizon was kinda this for me. I'd say it might have been a little too easy compared to Monster Hunter and also it's lacking the multiplayer but it checks a lot of the other boxes well - slow movement, no targetting, big dangerous monsters that can kill you in 2-3 hits.

God Eater sucked. I really wanted to like it because I liked the aesthetic and I was playing with a couple goon friends but it did not click for me at all like MonHun did.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Does Skyrim have gay marriage?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yes.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Guy Goodbody posted:

yeah, but marriage in skyrim is like the simplest most low-effort thing ever and mostly applies to some random sidequest giver npcs

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
The person lives at your house and just stands around staring at the wall. So like real marriage!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

With mods Skyrim has literally everything

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
except likable characters

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The Colonel posted:

except likable characters

I'm sure you can find a mod that transplants Witcher 3 characters into Skyrim or something

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i used to stand by the "bethesda games are good with mods" train pretty hard but i think at some point something in my brain snapped and i can't stand them anymore, with or without mods

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The character creation in Skyrim is something else. It took me awhile to make a character who looked reasonably human. It was like a puzzle, getting the right neck skintone and eye depth to not end up with a hosed up monster lady

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The Colonel posted:

i used to stand by the "bethesda games are good with mods" train pretty hard but i think at some point something in my brain snapped and i can't stand them anymore, with or without mods

I never said that you can make Skyrim good with mods.

You can add a billion things to Skyrim but under the surface it's still the same garbage.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

I think the difference is that Shovel Knight actually sent out alphas to streamers and tastemakers when the Kickstarter was live (it got a huge signal boost from game grumps for example). Mighty No 9 was just like "uh heres footage from an alpha that we spent an hour on. PSYCHE the actual game is entirely different"

also I think that in general indies have been very good with Kickstarter, if you were to look at that page on the kickstarter site that shows all the games that made it to completion. there's something different and maybe odder when it's a traditional studio coming to kickstarter, like comcept or inti creates, that may not really understand the whole deal. i think that people were led to trust these studios because they had 'experience' in the industry but experience in the industry and experience in terms of: fulfillment, keeping people updated, having reasonable goals and deadlines... it's completely different

one last thing: indie developers are known for plugging away at something even if its not their living. if a kickstarter fails they'd probably still try and get their game finished but in their spare time, even if it takes forever, until it's exactly how they want it to be.

to a studio like inti creates/comcept or whatever, they've no doubt been in positions where if a self-made IP is not shaping up, they just say "eh throw it in the garbage" and move on to a different project. but they can't do that with MN9 when they were funded by the public. so they just, i guess, decided to push a lovely game through to completion even though they may have known it was a turd, instead of just telling people "look it's gonna take even longer but it needs to be good before we can release it."

These are all extremely good points, if somewhat orthogonal to the argument that Shovel Knight isn't trading in on nostalgia because it is, it's just that nostalgia isn't all it's got in the tank for all those reasons you said which I agree with, especially the bit about what happens when people used to working in a more traditional environment go to the crowdfunding well. At least Bloodstained seems to be doing okay for itself.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Andrast posted:

I'm sure you can find a mod that transplants Witcher 3 characters into Skyrim or something

Iirc there's Ciri, Yen, Triss, and Geralt followers.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rogue Dawn Instruction Booklet posted:

Q: Why does Dawn use Chozo tech just like Samus?
A: Dawn has been subjected to years of torturous experimentation conducted by Ridley to fuse her with various technologies including Chozo. Being his only human subject he has gone to great lengths to mold her into his ultimate dark operative.

:allears:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i honestly wonder how much involvement inti creates had in mighty number 9 considering even their weakest, jankiest games are a hell of a lot flashier and more competently put together

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Even that 'retro' NES gunvolt is better than MN9

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
their insanely janky motorcycle robot action game and their surprisingly tight third person kaiju shooter/dating sim game for the ps1 are better than mihgty number 9

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I'm pretty sure skyrim still has hand to hand combat stuff, yes?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Andrast posted:

With mods Skyrim has literally everything
I definitely remember seeing a Fallout 3 mod that let you have a ghoul harem in one of the Bethesda mods threads and I bet there's a Skyrim equivalent.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
For a while, you could have Skyrim as a seamless world but only if you also wanted Oblivion Gates in every town.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I spent the past four hours sinking my teeth into this game that I discovered through YouTube: Battle Brothers. I'd describe it as a mix of XCOM's tactical squad combat (though slightly deeper), Mount and Blade Warband's grand campaign (running around towns, doing quests, assembling a mercenary force), and inventory management. So if that sounds like your kind of thing you should check it out, it's apparently been in early access for a while but it's out now.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Welp, just cleared Rogue Dawn. It's really impressive how much work went into this game to turn Metroid into what feels like it could've been a real NES sequel to the game. Unfortunately the beautiful graphics and tight controls are marred by some pretty obnoxious design.

There are tons of parts where the 'exploration' is "haha, you went down the wrong path, this is an empty dead end, now you have to backtrack!". To make matters worse, there are tons of parts where the game uses map looping, both as shortcuts to let you exit a zone quickly and as ways to punish you for messing up an exploration or platforming challenge. This makes large sections of the game feel like that one castle in Super Mario Bros where it loops you back a screen if you don't take the exact right path. Despite adding a map to aid navigation, these design decisions and a general lack of intuitive level design made it very easy to get stuck or lost. But on the plus side, the world does feel truly open, and you can complete most of the challenges and get many of the power-ups in any order you feel like. Sequence breaking is also possible by design, and some of it relies on exploiting glitches. A lot of the hidden missile upgrades and energy tanks are satisfyingly tricky to get, although some of the platforming the game wants you to do reach a few of them is maddeningly difficult.

Despite the awfulness of the premise, the story in-game is told pretty well and is largely inoffensive. In fact, if you stop thinking of the main character as Samus' secret sister and just some other bounty hunter willing to work for the Space Pirates, I'd even say the story's decent.

Much like the original Metroid, there aren't that many bosses, and they're not very fun to fight. Two of them constantly shoot stuff that can block your shots, and this is exacerbated by the fact that if you hit those things with the ice beam, they'll just hover there, blocking your shots until they unfreeze. The last boss is much better, as is the obligatory self-destruct escape sequence.

For all my complaints and nitpicks, the game is technically stunning for something that can actually run on an NES. The sprite work is beautiful, the environments feel distinct and alien, the combat is largely satisfying, and the incredibly important sense of freedom is present throughout, no matter how stuck you get. Sure, this is no AM2R, but if you're craving a Metroid game, you could do a lot worse.

G4F3

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Got this stuck in my head

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBd_WsW_c6I

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

The Colonel posted:

I really hope Todd Howard and his team take a good hard look at their engine they used for Fallout 4, and then throw it in the trash.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

i feel like rare's games are the perfect argument against mario having an open world

e: apparently DQ11's combat is like FF12 with free movement. weird

Oh poo poo, Dragon Quest switching away from purely turn-based seems like a... controversial move.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Harrow posted:

Oh poo poo, Dragon Quest switching away from purely turn-based seems like a... controversial move.

Given that they seem like almost entirely different games I wonder if the 3DS version will go for a more traditional scheme and the PS4 one will have an updated one.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Mar 27, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also FF12 has free movement so that statement confuses me

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

MinibarMatchman posted:

I really hope Todd Howard and his team take a good hard look at their engine they used for Fallout 4, and then throw it in the trash.

They're not going to do anything until the next broken, janky game they make doesn't sell. Why bother with engine improvements or QA when your customers will happily buy and fix your game for you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

MinibarMatchman posted:

Fallout 4 shipped more copies in one day than Final Fantasy 7 sold in its lifetime while having a lower headcount for its core team than what Square had for the development of FF7 in 1997. Either this engine works miracles or Todd Howard has the Midas touch.

Sakurazuka posted:

Given that they seem like almost entirely different games I wonder if the 3DS version will go for a more traditional scheme and the PS4 one will have an updated one.

It's similar to Level 5's Ni no Kuni in that the story is the same but the gameplay and presentation is different.

This might be the last Dragon Quest by the core team at Armor Project. They're either nearing retirement or a few years past the average age of death for a Japanese man. So this might be their last chance to experiment.

• Locked thread