Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Dr.Smasher posted:

The Clockwork Mansion is cool but I think Stilton's House is more fascinating. It'll gently caress with your head more and that's kinda fun.

Clockwork Mansion has much more replay in my opinion though. Once you've done the gimmick (well, not gimmick, it's better than that) at Stilton's, going through that level becomes a bit of a bore.

Also, I never noticed before after restoring the mansion to its good-ending-present-day state: Stilton really loving loves butterflies. It almost has a Troy McClure vibe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I'd have liked Stilton's more if both timelines had had guards. Being able to completely clear the modern timeline of any threats meant you could just blip out of danger whenever. Keeping track of both worlds at the same time would have been neat.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Ravenfood posted:

I'd have liked Stilton's more if both timelines had had guards. Being able to completely clear the modern timeline of any threats meant you could just blip out of danger whenever. Keeping track of both worlds at the same time would have been neat.

Yeah it was an amazing mission but sadly trivial once you realise how to abuse the timetravel. Having guards in both timelines would have made it much more challenging and even more awesome.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Hive guardians counting as human for kills kind of annoys me. Aren't they kinda past the point of saving? It's like the Weepers in the first game. Killing them would be a mercy to them and reduce the risk to those they could infect.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
weepers in the first game were eventually cured by sokolov and piero if both were left alive in a low chaos ending

there's no such resolution for hive guardians in this game though for sure

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

GotLag posted:

The first sequence in this video comes to mind:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWSIHC2lvn4
How is he getting Jindosh away from his two clockwork guards in the lab? Even when I did a silence achievement run he was there with them.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Coolguye posted:

weepers in the first game were eventually cured by sokolov and piero if both were left alive in a low chaos ending

there's no such resolution for hive guardians in this game though for sure

I think you don't need one, it's unspoken in the background. Take them out of the heat, asylum them where flies can't grow.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Sindai posted:

How is he getting Jindosh away from his two clockwork guards in the lab? Even when I did a silence achievement run he was there with them.

He doesn't leave his lab unless you alert him to your presence somehow, like by pulling a lever. If you pull the lever in the first big room and walk up the stairs, he comes to that door with the bridge to talk to you.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

In other news, StealthGamerBR has finally been able to take Emily out for a spin, and the results are...obscene.

This man does things with the Clockwork Mansion that are inhuman. Gotta love poor old Sokolov getting tossed around like a Raggedy Ann, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wjO3EA90kU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

he cheats and edits his videos like crazy so while his videos can be fun to watch don't expect to do anything even remotely like all of that in your games

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I'll allow it

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Marshal Radisic posted:

In other news, StealthGamerBR has finally been able to take Emily out for a spin, and the results are...obscene.

This man does things with the Clockwork Mansion that are inhuman. Gotta love poor old Sokolov getting tossed around like a Raggedy Ann, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wjO3EA90kU

Holy gently caress, I have to play again using far reach. It can feed my everybody-in-dumpster fetish.
(even if some of that was cheated it's still awesome).

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Upgraded Far Reach is unquestionably the most fun power. Especially when you combine it with Domino. There should be an achievement for flinging four people over a cliff edge simultaneously.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

WHY HAVE I NEVER DONE THAT.

This game is as replayable as the original Deus Ex for me.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
And here I am choking one guy out at a time with time bend.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
lol what is he doing with the torso and the arc pylon at 9:06? hahah it's a shield, I didn't know that was possible

Also, I'm seeing animations in his kills I've never seen before, huh

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Entropic posted:

Upgraded Far Reach is unquestionably the most fun power. Especially when you combine it with Domino. There should be an achievement for flinging four people over a cliff edge simultaneously.

I kinda wish there was a far shove sub-power.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

3Romeo posted:

lol what is he doing with the torso and the arc pylon at 9:06? hahah it's a shield, I didn't know that was possible

Same. I also like the way he noodle arm throws people high up, and possesses them to get up high. I need to try that, too.

He threw a grenade, and noodled a live NPC into a dumpster :3: Class.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I assume the ability to possess half of a human is a cheat? Because that kind of automatically breaks the rule that "if the thing you're possessing dies, you die"

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

MikeJF posted:

I kinda wish there was a far shove sub-power.

I mean, there's Windblast.

I've played this game a TON and there's powers I've still basically never used.

Rat Swarm just seems kind of boring, and has no use in a low-chaos or nonlethal run.

I've never been entirely clear on how Bloodthirst really works, mostly because I hate the way it makes the screen dark so I've never really bothered with it (and I tend to favor low-chaos which it doesn't really suit at all).

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Digirat posted:

I assume the ability to possess half of a human is a cheat? Because that kind of automatically breaks the rule that "if the thing you're possessing dies, you die"

You can possess things that are already dead. It says right in the upgrade text for level 2 of possession that it gives you the ability to possess corpses.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah to be clear stealthgamerbr will shamelessly cheat:

- unlimited health
- unlimited mana
- unlimited collectables (such as runes or bone charms in Dishonored)
- speed hacks
- save/reload shenanigans to control pathing and RNG

but nothing beyond that. i can't remember a single thing he's ever done that requires outright breaking the base rules of the game, only breaking the circumstances.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
You basically have unlimited runes already in NG+ mode.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Digirat posted:

The windblast -> possess corpse being flung through the air-> exit body was probably one of the most clever things I'd seen. Also, I had no idea clockwork soldiers had a takedown animation for their legs.

Entropic posted:

Far Reach lets you pull yourself obscenely far if you have momentum when you start. In most cases, I found it irritating because I'd overshoot my target.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Entropic posted:

You can possess things that are already dead. It says right in the upgrade text for level 2 of possession that it gives you the ability to possess corpses.

Oh, I haven't played as corvo yet so I assumed it worked the same as dishonored 1

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Ravenfood posted:

The windblast -> possess corpse being flung through the air-> exit body was probably one of the most clever things I'd seen. Also, I had no idea clockwork soldiers had a takedown animation for their legs.

Far Reach lets you pull yourself obscenely far if you have momentum when you start. In most cases, I found it irritating because I'd overshoot my target.

I think the clockwork leg takedown might come after you get the sword upgrade to damage mechanical enemies. I remember being surprised by it when trying to take down clockworks in the final mission, having never seen it until that point.

Far reach can also be used to gain distance without run-up by grabbing the side of a wall. It's useful for getting into the clifftop path to the conservatory without descending to street level.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

3Romeo posted:

Also, I'm seeing animations in his kills I've never seen before, huh

I saw it happen in Dishonored 1, someone using a Torso as a shield for the pylon but I tried it several times and it never worked, in both games.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Coolguye posted:

yeah to be clear stealthgamerbr will shamelessly cheat:

- unlimited health
- unlimited mana
- unlimited collectables (such as runes or bone charms in Dishonored)
- speed hacks
- save/reload shenanigans to control pathing and RNG

but nothing beyond that. i can't remember a single thing he's ever done that requires outright breaking the base rules of the game, only breaking the circumstances.

wait you're saying I can't use my 8 glitched 4x void walker runes for the LP :(

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Has the game been fixed yet for PC?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Grouchio posted:

Has the game been fixed yet for PC?

I bought it around xmas and had zero issues with it on hardware a few years old.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Speaking of PC, new patch update out today:
http://steamcommunity.com/games/403640/announcements/detail/563353721561646542?hootPostID=eef79685941bbed27c2e71738994ceca

quote:

Bloodthirst post-process is now brighter
That seems like a real good idea.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Lunethex posted:

I saw it happen in Dishonored 1, someone using a Torso as a shield for the pylon but I tried it several times and it never worked, in both games.

might it be because he slowly circle-strafes around the pylon that makes it work somehow? That it'll fail if you remain stationary?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

double nine posted:

might it be because he slowly circle-strafes around the pylon that makes it work somehow? That it'll fail if you remain stationary?

it's a luck thing, the torso CAN intercept the bolt but it's unlikely and needs to be handled at an extremely precise angle. and even then you're likely to take some grazes. 9:06 is likely an instance of him knowing that something can technically work and turning off damage collision to basically just say 'look, it worked, ok'. he does that sort of thing a lot. again, breaking the circumstances.

you can show it off in a vacuum relatively easy if someone challenges you but as part of a single session like this it absolutely won't happen unless you're running a macro from a save game or something.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 21, 2017

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I remember he made a video about some of the mechanics dealing with how mana was regenerated when d2 came out and saying he wasn't sure if he could pull off some of the tricks he did in d1. If it requires him to use infinite mana or something it's cool with me.

Save and RNG manipulation seems like a gimmie. Even with perfect timing and pathing and routes you're gonna have issues occasionally

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

My usual m.o. in stealth games is to sneakily knock out everyone I can in the compound. To that end, I got Domino for taking out multiple guards but I'm wondering what to get next. I already have far reach and agility of course but there remains the invisibility, the doppelganger, and the dark mesmer thing. I'm at the part where you have to infiltrate the house of the inventor guy who kidnapped Sokolov. Any suggestions?

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Seventh Arrow posted:

My usual m.o. in stealth games is to sneakily knock out everyone I can in the compound. To that end, I got Domino for taking out multiple guards but I'm wondering what to get next. I already have far reach and agility of course but there remains the invisibility, the doppelganger, and the dark mesmer thing. I'm at the part where you have to infiltrate the house of the inventor guy who kidnapped Sokolov. Any suggestions?

Doppelganger and mesmerize pair well with domino. With doppelganger, you can domino your enemies to it, meaning you can knock it out to knock them out. And mesmerize is really good for an enemy type you'll face later on.

Shadowalk was pretty cool, I guess? But mostly I just used it to squeeze through small vents. I never really tested how invisible it made you.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Cool, thanks. Is it possible to get all of the non-passive abilities in one playthrough, or does that have to wait for New Game+? I missed a few runes in the dock area in Karnaca.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

3Romeo posted:

Shadowalk was pretty cool, I guess? But mostly I just used it to squeeze through small vents. I never really tested how invisible it made you.
it makes you invisible unless you're directly in front of someone in melee range, so you can just crawl up to guards from the front and stealth incapacitate them while they're surprised. It's pretty convenient if you can't avoid approaching someone from the front, but with Dishonored level design that's fairly rare.

Still, I mostly invested in domino, far reach, and shadow walk my first stealthy low chaos play through and was pretty happy with them.

Really Domino by itself is so ridiculously powerful you can pair anything with it and do fine.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 27, 2017

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
About to play the first game - are the two main DLC worth $15? I got the game free anyway so I might splurge on them if they're decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The DLC is fantastic. Feels like a much tighter version of the base game, and you can see some of the ideas forming for Dishonoured 2.

• Locked thread