Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
This sounds completely unplayable. Was Cookie Clicker a lucky accident?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

To be fair, the game is only in Alpha, so issues like this are generally to be expected.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Sad thing is I don't even remember it being that bad in an earlier version. Definitely not all that good or remotely polished but not lose-your-buildings bad.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I differentiate between "number should be tweaked" (decay rate too high) and "number should exist at all" (sticks decay). But that is just my opinion and I mean, it IS alpha. Maybe he fixes it.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

DACK FAYDEN posted:

This sounds completely unplayable. Was Cookie Clicker a lucky accident?

Cookie Clicker sorta started the genre so just at the right place at the right time.

Going back to it now is pointless as the genre has evolved considerably.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I differentiate between "number should be tweaked" (decay rate too high) and "number should exist at all" (sticks decay). But that is just my opinion and I mean, it IS alpha. Maybe he fixes it.

Decay is an interesting mechanic, particularly for civilization managing games. It seems like an ill-fitting mechanic for an idle game, and it makes no sense for stuff like mud, stone, etc to decay. It is a long stretch but i can understand sticks and logs decaying, but stones ?!

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 24, 2017

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Ineptitude posted:

Absolutely not an idle game

Requires constant managing and babysitting. Every resource or positive (progress) related resource decays, literally from the first second you start the game, while negative resources (corpses from dead villagers, spoiled food, etc) will pile up and never dissapear. Somehow corpses doesn't rot and decay away unless they are buried.

Resources where it doesn't even make sense that decays decay as well, such as mud. How does mud decay?

There is also a harsh upkeep on buildings, requiring a constant worker to use them, yet buildings can also decay. What the gently caress is that guy doing if the building decays while his literally only job is to take care of that building.

I closed the tab after waiting for 20 minutes to get 50 sticks, enough for 3 housing, and the number of sticks just going up and down between 25 and 35 for no apparent reason (i guess sticks decay) so i used all my fast forward time and 4 years of gametime later i still only had ~30 sticks. This was with 7 of my 12 workers on harvesting sticks.

Another bonus feature is that buildings and workers assigned to building are interlinked, so if you unassign a worker in a building you lose that building (and all the materials that the building cost) so if coincidentally your worker staffed at a building is the one that gets picked when the game decides it is time to make one of your guys sick you lose that building.

You've got a few things wrong here which doesn't detract from my main gripe with the game also, the decay is really loving high early on which can easily turn off players. Especially since it seems to have an "ascension" system which means if I have to go back through that bullshit O_O.

Anyways workers are not assigned to buildings, workers are used to build the building then are instantly freed. I unassign a dreamer build then reassign when I get the resources to build.
Also everything decays due to "theft". Another not mentioned thing is land/territory is extremely important, you gather jack per worker until you discover more of your tile.

I definitely don't disagree with your main premise though, this is entirely a game meant to be micromanaged which I why I assume the pause button builds up "fast ticks" so you can then play through faster while giving it some attention.

I'm in my 10th year or so and 2 hunters is enough to sustain food and water is through wells. I have housing that rarely decays, though getting to here was a huge pain.
There is definitely something there but it is not in its current state at something I'd recommend.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
It also is wildly irritating when you have a mine collapse and it basically wounds 90% of your population EVEN THOUGH you have only 3 workers in there.

Ditto with Hunting to a lesser extent if you're just starting. Having to take up land for graves because the punishment is so drat dire is not fun.

EDIT: Hoookay so those barns and warehouses are completely useless unless you're running half your population as idle because they require workers to stick around. If you run into the above catastrophes say good-bye to your food and building stockpiles.

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 24, 2017

Jayme
Jul 16, 2008
I prestiged twice last night - once you have a healer active, your population basically never dies until mining/quarrying accidents start happening. The worst part about the game is that I'm pretty sure there's only one legacy set up right now - the mausoleum. The game as it is now seems wildly unfinished (which, again, alpha) - no replay factor, no real point to hunting/fishing unless you start in an area with poor fruit/herb availability, spoiling happens way too quickly until you set up stockpiles and then you never run out of food again, etc.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
There's definitely a bug in accidents. You can have one person exploring and have 10 people get lost. Same with the mines and quarry.

I don't recommend the inhospitable start. If you can't save up 20 food to hire an explorer, you'll have a challenging time progressing beyond 10% of your first square, which makes it hard to get food to hire an explorer.

Edit:

Patch today addressing some of the concerns mentioned earlier:
hunters dying, quarries/mines collapsing and scouts getting lost should no longer disproportionately harm your population; those effects have also been made less frequent
people get sick less often
resources now display how much you're gaining and losing every tick

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 24, 2017

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Ha yeah, no: mines collapsing still absolutely ruins your population and it appears RNG state remains the same from last load or there's a loving timer counting down to catastrophe as soon as you enable work. I quit.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

The "a whole shitton of people get wounded or lost from hunting/exploring/whatever" is a glaring issue currently and orteil is aware of it and that it's a bug

e: Oh I missed that a patch came out. It's still in early alpha so I assume it'll be a bit before it's more worth playing. It seems fun at least.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Honestly though, the game has a lot of potential. It does need a huge amount of bug fixes (i am assuming the most glaring issues i mentioned are bugs) and a general tuning/progression pass.

Cerepol posted:

Anyways workers are not assigned to buildings, workers are used to build the building then are instantly freed. I unassign a dreamer build then reassign when I get the resources to build.
Also everything decays due to "theft". Another not mentioned thing is land/territory is extremely important, you gather jack per worker until you discover more of your tile.

That wasn't my experience. Right clicking on a buidling freed up a worker and removed the building.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Fine, I'm trying it.

...do I have to permanently assign one worker per dead person to get the bodies into graves? What?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

No, graves need one free worker to be built but it does not require them to stick around. Same with some of the other buildings. Also there is a middle right-hand tab that can separate out certain buildings (like Lodges) so you can use them for more than one mode at a time. But unfortunately you can't set Lodges and Guilds to less than 5 per building for some idiotic reason.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Some of the storerooms require persistent guards assigned, which is bullshit.

I really think graves should decay after 100 years or something, with room for improvement via technology. It's ludicrous to imagine a civilization completely filling their borders with graves to the point that there's no room for houses. They're graves, not mausoleums.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Some of the storerooms require persistent guards assigned, which is bullshit.

I really think graves should decay after 100 years or something, with room for improvement via technology. It's ludicrous to imagine a civilization completely filling their borders with graves to the point that there's no room for houses. They're graves, not mausoleums.

Or make it so graveyards fit more than a single person.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Let me turn them into this stuff:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedlec_Ossuary

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Turning on fast ticks seems to break this thing like crazy, and not in good ways. I went to -500% happiness when I turned it on as it tried making 2000 explorers for I have no idea why. Turn it to normal speed and I'm 0 even again.

Jesus wept I lost 5000 people to that!

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

NeverEnding Legacy got a patch which made the game more playable.

Resources decay slower, mines collapsing wont consume your whole population and other changes.
Graveyards also decay which is a good way of handling it. Each graveyard consumes 1 corpse and 1 land but you get the land back when the graveyard decays (the corpse stays consumed)

You now assign workers to a building after building them, instead of the mess that was before. You still remove a building that has assigned workers to it if you right click though, to remove workers you need to go to the pop-out menu on the building and set it to OFF.

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Mar 25, 2017

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Built my Mausoleum in the current patch. Overall I think it's a really neat proof of concept, which is about what you'd expect from an alpha. That said, with the Mausoleum described as an early game wonder, I have to wonder how he's goin to scale this into having a late game. By the time I was able to research the Mausoleum (which I wouldn't have even known about if it went for this thread, because when I first did research it said there were no more techs, when it was just that I hadn't crossed some hidden threshold) my civ was trucking along with effectively infinite food and water, more territory than I was even close to using, and happiness out the wazoo.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Is it normal for the game to run at 10 FPS?

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

mines 25-30 fps

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

edit: I'm dumb and unlocked the thing I needed to unlock, cheers.

The Ninth Layer fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 25, 2017

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So how do I unlock the Mausoleum? in Legacy?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Says "edge of the world" so presumably something to do with how far of the world you've explored or number of tiles that are part of territory or something. I don't know I just sort of ran it at fast speed feeding my guys to the wood chipper pre-patch until I decided to check research again.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Sage Grimm posted:

Says "edge of the world" so presumably something to do with how far of the world you've explored or number of tiles that are part of territory or something. I don't know I just sort of ran it at fast speed feeding my guys to the wood chipper pre-patch until I decided to check research again.

There is a firm "edge" to the larger map. I don't know if everyone starts near it or if that's random, but I was a few tiles from it overall with my starting point.

I finished it despite the fast ticks decimating my civ.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I quite like it, but I've now got a completely stable society having started on the hardest difficulty and built the wonder, so there's not much left to do without a content update. I enjoy how active the beginning is, and with the game reallocating workers to where you lost them and the ease of building without having to unassign workers, it seems like much more of a progression toward idling.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

GrossMurpel posted:

Is it normal for the game to run at 10 FPS?

Play it in Chrome

In FF i get 8-12 FPS, in Chrome its a steady 25+

Xelkelvos posted:

So how do I unlock the Mausoleum? in Legacy?

Research all the research (?), then build it.
I didn't do anything particular to get the research, in fact i still had like 15 researches left the first time mausoleum popped up in available research. I just saved it for last since it cost 90 inspiration, i didn't know at the time it unlocked the building that allow you to prestige the game.
I had explored maybe 10 tiles and only the starting tile was 100%.

I prestiged the first time at 44 years of gametime. It could probably have been done in 30-35 if i had paid more attention to the game.
In the latest update the rate of inspiration has been absolutely butchered, i am in year 12 now and have only been able to research a couple of things. Fast forwarding many years did very little as well. I guess it is now an idle game.

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Mar 26, 2017

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
The problem I'm running into is that in the early game my population just straight up refuses to reproduce. I'm on year 15, and my population has yet to climb to even 20 people. Every time there's a baby, it's counterbalanced by someone getting sick and dying, such that in the past 6 years my population has actually declined. My people have maximum rations, and no child limit, I'm just stuck twiddling my thumbs waiting for actually have some kids.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Do you have housing? It won't progress past 15 people until you do.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Do you have a healer assigned?

But yeah, if you're stuck at 15, one of your houses broke.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
I think it's mostly that the insight rate was way reduced, so where normally I'd be getting housing before I even get to 15 people, now I'm actually hitting the wall that I didn't even know existed before.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
In other news, it looks like the exploration rate got tweaked or something, because my explorers just finished off the whole map.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Ineptitude posted:

Research all the research (?), then build it.
I didn't do anything particular to get the research, in fact i still had like 15 researches left the first time mausoleum popped up in available research. I just saved it for last since it cost 90 inspiration, i didn't know at the time it unlocked the building that allow you to prestige the game.
I had explored maybe 10 tiles and only the starting tile was 100%.
There's some other trigger for it because my first game I just restarted manually as I was fast forwarding for decades without getting the mausoleum or any indication the game wasn't 'over', and thought maybe the manual restart triggered the achievement rather than it being something you built.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

There's some other trigger for it because my first game I just restarted manually as I was fast forwarding for decades without getting the mausoleum or any indication the game wasn't 'over', and thought maybe the manual restart triggered the achievement rather than it being something you built.

It looks like there's a Trait called "Belief in the Afterlife" which is the prerequisite for it and that's triggered by ???. It unlocks a research that's needed to unlock it.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
Monument Building requires Belief in the Afterlife (and burial, and construction), which requires Fear of Death (and oral traditions), which requires language.

Both of those traits, supposedly, take about 10 years to develop on average, once you meet the requirements.

Having played off an on for a while now, it seems like your people generate hilarious amounts of food with little effort- a single hunter or fisherman can, especially if you cure the meat, sustain literally hundreds of people alone once you've explored a few spaces and have the appropriate techs.

Steelion fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Mar 27, 2017

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Make sure to permit bug eating. It's a responsible source of protein!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

It turns out it's remarkably difficult to kill your civilisation, if not outright impossible, but most disappointing of all is that you can't force your population into cannibalism through dietary policies or repeated starvation - worse, if your game goes on long enough your people will just start eating corpses and making themselves sick to spite you.

e: at year 165 my entire 30k+ population collapsed down to 50 because the number of people hitting old age was above the undertaker limit and people quickly became ill as hundreds of corpses piled up in the streets, turning into thousands and a complete collapse of society as it tried to fill over half of the entire world with gravestones.

Ghostlight fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Mar 27, 2017

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Make sure to permit bug eating. It's a responsible source of protein!

Ghostlight posted:

worse, if your game goes on long enough your people will just start eating corpses and making themselves sick to spite you.

For a moment, I thought I was in the Rimworld thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

God drat, clicker games are pretty much impossible to enjoy on Kongregate now that Firefox is having so many issues.

Or maybe it's just me but I can never seem to load ads anymore to speed things up, usually always with the ads that use JW Player.

I have all of my adblocking disabled.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 27, 2017