Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Section 9 posted:

(*) - I'm not sure about the Desert Housing/Urban community thing.

desert housing maps on to early hunter-gatherer tribal communities, I think. Maybe. In sort of a generalized way? The group of machines with the lady who's obsessed with *BEEP* are all called wife machines, anyway.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Mar 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

Mazerunner posted:

desert housing maps on to early hunter-gatherer tribal communities, I think. Maybe. In sort of a generalized way? The group of machines with the lady who's obsessed with *BEEP* are all called wife machines, anyway.

Ok, that makes a lot of sense. I think I was a bit caught up mentally in it being a cityscape and not paying attention to how the machines there were actually behaving.

Edit: And yeah, on second thought, that fits in with a lot of the themes in that area.

Section 9 fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Mar 27, 2017

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
What's the deal with the elevators with the apologetic machines. I've played all the way through the game and done everything (minus the super boss) and never figured out what those were for.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Section 9 posted:

Route B: I know it's mostly a result of having already upgraded a lot of your stuff, knowing what to expect, and that in gameplay 2B can't be kicking rear end all over the place on Route B because that would take away from the player's enjoyment. But it seemed like 2B was totally useless in both my Route B runs, like literally standing around doing nothing in the middle of fights. It feels like Route B is 9S's memories of the events and he's remembering himself as being the awesome hero.

Did you accidentally set her behavior to be passive? Just set her to be aggressive if you want her to murder everything for you.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Rexicon1 posted:

What's the deal with the elevators with the apologetic machines. I've played all the way through the game and done everything (minus the super boss) and never figured out what those were for.

Probably future DLC, or possibly nothing and they're just to gently caress with you.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

Bugblatter posted:

Did you accidentally set her behavior to be passive? Just set her to be aggressive if you want her to murder everything for you.

No, she's on "balanced". Aggressive was a bit too aggressive for me, pulling me into fights I didn't want to be in. It hasn't been a problem, I've been kicking rear end enough on my own (I'm only playing on Normal, so...) It is just funny seeing the combat android gazing at the stars while I blow things up.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

End of Route C spoilers, but one thing I love meta-related about the game.

I knew Devola and Popola were in the game because of trailers and art and whatnot so I was super excited to see that explained. When they showed up in the camp to give me the scanner and not just be background NPC's I was like "oh boy the twins are getting introduced heeere we go."

The shot of them over a waking up 9S and everything just had me super suspect of them and wondering just what kind of twist I was in for... only for there to be no twists.

It wasn't until I finished the game and thought about it that I realized just how right they were that people judged them because of the NieR pairing and it made me feel legit guilty.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Section 9 posted:

No, she's on "balanced". Aggressive was a bit too aggressive for me, pulling me into fights I didn't want to be in. It hasn't been a problem, I've been kicking rear end enough on my own (I'm only playing on Normal, so...) It is just funny seeing the combat android gazing at the stars while I blow things up.

Aggressive will also attack non-hostile machines sometimes, but it is good for boss fights.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I knew Devola and Popola were in the game because of trailers and art and whatnot so I was super excited to see that explained. When they showed up in the camp to give me the scanner and not just be background NPC's I was like "oh boy the twins are getting introduced heeere we go."

The shot of them over a waking up 9S and everything just had me super suspect of them and wondering just what kind of twist I was in for... only for there to be no twists.

It wasn't until I finished the game and thought about it that I realized just how right they were that people judged them because of the NieR pairing and it made me feel legit guilty.

I knew nothing about the earlier games going into it, so on my first play they were just some random new NPCs that had no backstory and I didn't really care. Since then I've read up on a lot of back lore from previous games. Going into my second play of Route C I think that's going to have a bit more impact for me.

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Aggressive will also attack non-hostile machines sometimes, but it is good for boss fights.

I don't have a problem with the mechanics. The original comment was more about how it related to the narrative.

Section 9 fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Mar 27, 2017

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The best part is when they re-enact how they show up for their boss fight in the first game only to immediately subvert it. A Nier player is immediately gonna go "Oh no they're evil!" and then feel kinda bad

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Has there been any discussion about the name of A2? She has the only YoRHa name to be <letter><number> instead of the reverse. And her name sounds like "Et tu".

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I somehow only have 98% tutorials. What could I have missed?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Mordiceius posted:

Has there been any discussion about the name of A2? She has the only YoRHa name to be <letter><number> instead of the reverse. And her name sounds like "Et tu".

The stage play android designations are reversed. It stands for Attacker 2

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah, it just seems like designations reversed order between the Pearl Harbor generation and the new generation seen in Automata.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

And Ending D, that was a good ending. Accidentally triggered ending E somehow though. Died near the end of the credits and gave up so I Could do the thing proper after 100%ing the save

idiotmeat
Apr 3, 2010

Nina posted:

I just really disdain the idea of turning the narrative about a tragic war where both sides destroy each other for nothing and desperately cling onto hollow concepts to justify their existence into Metal Gearish "Ho ho it was the evil AI mastermind and you all were played." Taro is a better writer than that
I think it works differently in this case. While the setup is for a narrative twist, I think its intent rather is to pull the player (and 9S) back to the mental state of the pre yorha androids.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Genuine flaw of the game in my opinion is that at the end of route A/B and into C all the bosses basically just become those stupid ball things. Like literally all of them that come to mind are either balls or androids..
Become as gods/beepy?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Nuebot posted:

I somehow only have 98% tutorials. What could I have missed?

I'm guessing the same thing I did - equip a Taunt chip on 2B or 9S.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

will-do.

Also I'm starting to think sword fish don't exist.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Regy Rusty posted:

I got the taunt tutorial early on in route A when i equipped a Taunt chip.

I'm also still at 98% tutorial.

Nina posted:

The best part is when they re-enact how they show up for their boss fight in the first game only to immediately subvert it. A Nier player is immediately gonna go "Oh no they're evil!" and then feel kinda bad
Oh, so that's what it was. I was wondering why he flinched and guarded when they showed up after the bot said "allies detected". Like, what did you expect to happen? Not having played the previous game, that cutscene really made no sense.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

HenryEx posted:

Try teleporting to a grayed out area, like the Bunker in Route C.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

ghostinmyshell posted:

Durante is now working on the PC version. I might double dip on the PC version if he can pull off some miracles.

I know this is a bit late, but Kaldaien has already pulled plenty of miracles with FAR. He fixed the fullscreen resolution bug, replaced the frame limiter with a better one, allowed for potentially massive performance increases by allowing players to tweak the quality of the game's Global Illumination, and fixed the cutscene stutters.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

HenryEx posted:

Oh, so that's what it was. I was wondering why he flinched and guarded when they showed up after the bot said "allies detected". Like, what did you expect to happen? Not having played the previous game, that cutscene really made no sense.

Well I mean they did seem to be blocking his path / moving to attack and he had a history of allies turning against him

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Yeesh. Finished, at least with Endings A-E.

I have to check:

Why are people talking about Devola and Popola not being the originals? One of the files indicates that they're the originals, but their memories were wiped so they wouldn't go wild again but they were also programmed with guilt over the thing they did but don't remember doing.

Also, I realize that the answer is probably "no, it's just to rip your heart out" but can you do anything with the children's cores? :smith:

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Yeesh. Finished, at least with Endings A-E.

I have to check:

Why are people talking about Devola and Popola not being the originals? One of the files indicates that they're the originals, but their memories were wiped so they wouldn't go wild again but they were also programmed with guilt over the thing they did but don't remember doing.

Also, I realize that the answer is probably "no, it's just to rip your heart out" but can you do anything with the children's cores? :smith:

Nier and his crew blew up their Devola and Popola, but the entire line (who were overseeing other Replicant communities around the world) was declared defective because of what happened. They were all memory wiped and reprogrammed.

You can sell them for a small profit

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Can't be the original models, cause Emil Fantasy nuked them to less than dust. Could have that they had backups.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Ah, welp. To both things.

I'm holding onto them regardless, because selling them just seems so wrong

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I'm holding onto them regardless, because selling them just seems so wrong

I sold them. Back to pascal for twice the purchase price

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm only a little ways into route B, but there's quite a few questions left to be answered, like who is Jean-Paul and why is his name bleeped out, how long has 2B really been around, why is Accord here, why are Devola and Popola here, and where the gently caress did Emil go. All revealed in due time, I guess, but this game doesn't seem very long or big, so I hope they can answer everything.

I can probably already guess that Jean-Paul is named after Jean-Paul Sartre, but what significance that has is yet to be revealed.

ughhh I played all weekend and I don't wanna do adult things today :qq:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Last night I got Ending A in the first Nier and I was wondering, is Ending B different or the same with more context? I just beat Gretel again and I'm not sure if getting to know the sad backstory of each boss before I kill them is worth it.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Jean-Paul's name is beeped out in spoken dialogue because they had to change his name really late into development (he was originally named Sartre). I've heard it had to do with some copyright poo poo, but I don't actually know. So that's one mystery solved.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lol please do not stop after ending A

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

gmq posted:

Last night I got Ending A in the first Nier and I was wondering, is Ending B different or the same with more context? I just beat Gretel again and I'm not sure if getting to know the sad backstory of each boss before I kill them is worth it.

But that and hearing Kainé's recontextualized battle dialogue actually being responses to Tyrann is the best part!

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

gmq posted:

It's different, but not majorly so. Getting the last two endings (which are absolutely worth it) will require you to get any weapons you might be missing, and then mainline the second half for a third time (it only takes about an hour and a bit if you speed through it). Then you save outside the point of no return, and you can go in and get one of the last two endings, reload your save, and then get the last one.

This is back when Cavia still existed, remember.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
In a sense, the Devola and Popola we meet are originals, because they stopped making their kind of android after a point. I wonder where the android manufactories are anyways. I guess they must be in space? Does that mean they can build aircraft carriers in space and send them to Earth? I suppose there must have been a much broader war going on all across the planet, but we never really hear much about anything like that.

These android factories must have existed during the time of the first Nier game.

This game felt like a big dream, to me. It felt like it was a dream being had by 9S. Not literally, I mean, but it has that surrealness and dream-logic sometimes, how everything seemed to focus on the one place, stuff like that.

Pollyanna posted:

I'm only a little ways into route B, but there's quite a few questions left to be answered, like who is Jean-Paul and why is his name bleeped out, how long has 2B really been around, why is Accord here, why are Devola and Popola here, and where the gently caress did Emil go. All revealed in due time, I guess, but this game doesn't seem very long or big, so I hope they can answer everything.

I can probably already guess that Jean-Paul is named after Jean-Paul Sartre, but what significance that has is yet to be revealed.

Who are you thinking is Accord? I've only watched youtube videos about the other games so I don't know much.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
The unexplained (inexplicable?) surreality of the game as a whole was...certainly something. I saw some trailers but there was just something about having the whole intro section about this post apocalyptic hell world full of demon machines, then you crawl out of a sewer into...an amusement park.

And I still don't know what's up with the dozen giant emil heads in the desert.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

And I still don't know what's up with the dozen giant emil heads in the desert.

Find every single weapon, upgrade them to level 4, then head to the shopping mall. All will be revealed.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
oh christ more farming

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Pollyanna posted:

Accord is never seen in person, she's just implied to hook the weapons guy up with time travel procured weapons

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Endgame question: In the library there are status of all the bosses. do those actually correspond to how well you did in the fights in true Platinum fashion?

Instant Grat posted:

Find every single weapon, upgrade them to level 4, then head to the shopping mall. All will be revealed.

I got ending E with like 65% weapons and I'm kind of at a loss as to where to look. Do any weapons come from sidequests?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

MMF Freeway posted:

Endgame question: In the library there are status of all the bosses. do those actually correspond to how well you did in the fights in true Platinum fashion?

I got ending E with like 65% and I'm kind of at a loss as to where to look. Do any weapons come from sidequests?

Yeah there's a few. There's like a shitload of weapons in this game, which IMO is weird given how little it really matters what weapon you use.