Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

food court bailiff posted:

there's a whole episode where peggy and bobby eat some steak at a party and declare it's the best steak they've ever had before realizing it was just cooked over charcoal

If you're thinking of the episode I am, they were burgers, not steak. It's a whole B plot that includes them buying a small charcoal grill and driving out to the middle of nowhere to make burgers then ditching the clothes so Hank won't smell them.

At the end of that episode Peggy has the opportunity to tell Hank the charcoal burgers are better, but she doesn't and keeps eating the propane burgers to make him happy. It's one of the moments that endears you to her, because most of us are watching and thinking "I would absolutely choose the charcoal burger."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I love it when Hank finds a piece of charcoal and stares at it like a normal person finding a doobie in their kids jeans or something.

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
██████████████████████████
███████▀▀▀░░░░░░░▀▀▀███████
████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀████
███│░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░│███
██▌│░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░│▐██
██░└┐░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░┌┘░██ U HAVE BEEN SPOOKED
██░░└┐░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░┌┘░░██
………………_„-,-~''~''':::'':::':::::''::::''...
………._,-'':::::::::::::::::::::::::::::...
………..,-'::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::...
………,'::::::::::::„:„„-~-~-'~-'~--~-~...
……..,'::::::::::,~'': : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : '-|
……..|::::::::,-': : : : : : : : - -~''''ŻŻ''-„: : : :
……..|::::::::|: : : : : : : : : _„„--~'''''~-„: : : : '|
……..'|:::::::,': : : : : : :_„„-: : : : : : : : ~--„_: |'
………|::::::|: : : „--~~'''~~''''''''-„…_..„~''''''''''''Ż| BY PROPANE
………|:::::,':_„„-|: : :_„---~: : :|''ŻŻ''''|: ~---„_: ||
……..,~-,/'': : : |: :( o__): : |: : : :|:(o_): \..|
……../,'-,: : : : : ''-,_______,-'': : : : ''-„_____|
……..\: :|: : : : : : : : : : : : : :„: : : : :-,: : : : : : :
………',:': : : : : : : : : : : : :,-'__: : : :_',: : : : ;: ,'
……….'-,': : : : : :___„: : :'': : Ż''~~'': ': : ~--|'
………….|: ,: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :: : :|
………….'|: \: : : : : : : : -,„_„„-~~--~--„_: :: |
…………..|: \: : : : : : : : : : : :-------~: : : : : |
…………..|: :''-,: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :|
…………..',: : :''-, : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :: ,'
……………| : : : : : : : : :_ : : : : : : : : : : ,-'
……………|: : : : : : : : : : '''~----------~''
…………._|: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :|
……….„-''. '-,_: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : ,'
……,''. . . . . '''~-„_: : : : : : : : : : : : :,'''-„

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Jesus Christ posted:

……..|::::::::,-': : : : : : : : - -~''''¯¯''-„: : : :
………|::::::|: : : „--~~'''~~''''''''-„…_..„~''''''''''''¯| BY PROPANE
………|:::::,':_„„-|: : :_„---~: : :|''¯¯''''|: ~---„_: ||
……….'-,': : : : : :___„: : :'': : ¯''~~'': ': : ~--|'

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This really shows that the writing here was fantastic. See, I love Hank's response here, it's perfect, yet this show was quickly overshadowed by dumb poo poo like Family Guy, and that's a shame. Subtlety trumps deliberate humour.

"Hey Lois, 'member that time I fahted?"

King of the Hill had a pretty good run and stood up against a few heavy contenders. When KOTH started The Simpsons was a juggernaut already in its 8th season and still hadn't run out of gas yet. It arguably wouldn't for another couple seasons more. South Park was released the same year as KOTH while definitely airing at a different time and attracting a more mature (older) audience, it could undercut the more subdued and subtle humour KOTH was going for. In 1999 it would be popular enough for a feature length film. Then there was Futurama that same year, which had the sensibilities of the Simpsons in a fantastic Sci-Fi universe. Also debuting was Family Guy, which for all its faults, had a very different kind of pace and humour and honestly in the first couple of seasons was actually funny. It of course got cancelled twice (2000 and 2002) and then returned in 2005. KOTH managed to last until 2010, so it didn't get overshadowed by dumber or louder shows. It was a solid part of the FOX line up for a long time, but it eventually ran its course. We should be thankful that it ended when it did, and instead hasn't become a horrible zombie version of itself like The Simpsons, or a heartless freakshow like Family Guy.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Jesus Christ posted:

……..|::::::::,-': : : : : : : : - -~''''ŻŻ''-„: : : :
………|::::::|: : : „--~~'''~~''''''''-„…_..„~''''''''''''Ż| BY PROPANE
………|:::::,':_„„-|: : :_„---~: : :|''ŻŻ''''|: ~---„_: ||
……….'-,': : : : : :___„: : :'': : Ż''~~'': ': : ~--|'

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
kidney boy died

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
"when the time is right, a maiden shall be delivered up to me

probably from the east"

the greatest weeb potshot

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
holy loving poo poo KOTH lasted until 2010? dang

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Houle posted:

I don't think I've ever seen Hank use any seasonings and since he doesn't use charcoal or hickory chips or anything in the grill to smoke it up those steaks are probably really really bland.

Taste the meat, not the heat, dude

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

The White Dragon posted:

"when the time is right, a maiden shall be delivered up to me

probably from the east"

the greatest weeb potshot

I love it because I honestly don't think it's a joke everyone is gonna get but if you get it, you get it

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Testikles posted:

King of the Hill had a pretty good run and stood up against a few heavy contenders. When KOTH started The Simpsons was a juggernaut already in its 8th season and still hadn't run out of gas yet. It arguably wouldn't for another couple seasons more. South Park was released the same year as KOTH while definitely airing at a different time and attracting a more mature (older) audience, it could undercut the more subdued and subtle humour KOTH was going for. In 1999 it would be popular enough for a feature length film. Then there was Futurama that same year, which had the sensibilities of the Simpsons in a fantastic Sci-Fi universe. Also debuting was Family Guy, which for all its faults, had a very different kind of pace and humour and honestly in the first couple of seasons was actually funny. It of course got cancelled twice (2000 and 2002) and then returned in 2005. KOTH managed to last until 2010, so it didn't get overshadowed by dumber or louder shows. It was a solid part of the FOX line up for a long time, but it eventually ran its course. We should be thankful that it ended when it did, and instead hasn't become a horrible zombie version of itself like The Simpsons, or a heartless freakshow like Family Guy.

Actually, I agree with all of this. I guess I'm so used to hearing people IRL complain about King of the Hill, and it just amazes me how hard it is to find a fan of this show.

Yes, Family Guy, when it came out, was certainly something new, at least for the line up of animated shows. But man, it could have ended about 6-7 years ago, easily.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

thathonkey posted:

holy loving poo poo KOTH lasted until 2010? dang

It had a great finale, too.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
KOTH is def one of the top 5ish adult cartoon shows imo

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 27, 2017

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Dale's Dead Bug was the exterminator on one of last night's Bob's Burgers intros

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

underage at the vape shop posted:

Taste the meat, not the heat, dude

I could swear that Hank happily grills on coal at the end of that Jane cult episode.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Hank borrows this grill from the frat across the street

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Hank borrows this grill from the frat across the street

Oh yeah? I have a different memory but I haven't seen that episode in years. It stuck out because it seemed so out of character.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Hank built this barbecue out of two old barbecues

not propane D:

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
It's an unholy piece of garbage that doesn't deserve propane.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Maybe the propane tank is attached to the back. At an angle.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You could probably call that one an animation error. Somebody left out the tank and then put in the heat source like it was coals. They usually don't actually show down into the grill when Hank cooks so they wouldn't have any reference materials for how a propane grill would look.

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
I love Hank's utter horror and devastation when he discovers Buck has an electric range in his kitchen

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Are you a consultant archaeologist in North America?

Unionize today!

PM me and ask me how your future can be history!
Hank and his family visit Japan and tasks Bill and Dale to grab his paper because a stack of newspapers attracts thieves who know the house is empty. So they end up breaking into the house by smashing a window to turn the lights on, but then realize people can see inside the house that it's empty, so they break in again and start wearing Hank and Peggy's clothing. Luanne calls the cops and Dale and Bill end up getting arrested, while Boomhauer is just standing there, drinking his beer, completely expressionless. Probably my favourite B plot of the show so far.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

...and the pitch! posted:

I could swear that Hank happily grills on coal at the end of that Jane cult episode.

Heretic!

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

They probably just didn't draw the bottles in the shot I'm thinking of. Or I'm dead wrong. That happens all the time.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Taste the meat, not the heat.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Junk posted:

Diego Gomez is a fuckin sweet name.

It's up there with Rusty Shackleford.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

The Archaic posted:

Hank and his family visit Japan and tasks Bill and Dale to grab his paper because a stack of newspapers attracts thieves who know the house is empty. So they end up breaking into the house by smashing a window to turn the lights on, but then realize people can see inside the house that it's empty, so they break in again and start wearing Hank and Peggy's clothing. Luanne calls the cops and Dale and Bill end up getting arrested, while Boomhauer is just standing there, drinking his beer, completely expressionless. Probably my favourite B plot of the show so far.

make sure you take in hanks mail!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

The Archaic posted:

He's law enforcement. Cant get caught up in that stuff.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

super sweet best pal posted:

"Octavio!" is just so fun to exclaim.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

super sweet best pal posted:

I worked once as a bank teller in the south, I've had more than one methhead come in and try to get a loan and tell me their name is "Rusty Shackleford"

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Blockade posted:

I worked once as a bank teller in the south, I've had more than one methhead come in and try to get a loan and tell me their name is "Rusty Shackleford"

How many of them were really named that tho? Not zero I bet.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

mojo1701a posted:

"Octavio!" is just so fun to exclaim.

Octavio's an interesting guy. We don't know much about him, but he'll do Dale's bidding for a few bucks.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

King Possum III posted:

Octavio's an interesting guy. We don't know much about him, but he'll do Dale's bidding for a few bucks.

He is down with a lot of Dale's nonsense and we know Dale has hardly any cash so Octavio is complex for sure.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
remember when hank finds out he was born in the ladies room at yankee stadium. lol

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

remember when hank finds out he was born in the ladies room at yankee stadium. lol

That scene is how my brother managed to sell me on KotH.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

DoctorStrangelove posted:

That scene is how my brother managed to sell me on KotH.

Topsy nailed a baseball player in the neck with his misaimed dart. Although with the incompetence surrounding Cotton's anti-Castro plot, the dart likely wasn't fatal. Unless it was, and Cotton and Topsy murdered an innocent Yankee.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Blockade posted:

It is my go to fake name, and I make restaurant reservations under it all the time. Thus far no one has indicated they get the reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

...and the pitch! posted:

He is down with a lot of Dale's nonsense and we know Dale has hardly any cash so Octavio is complex for sure.

It's Tuesday, ese. I need you to help me fix my fender.