Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Rough Lobster posted:

Hey, has anyone gotten a Giant Seed since the update? I've been invaded like 10 times I figured one would be guaranteed by now.

it's never guaranteed. i think it increases 10% chance with each invasion and stops at 50%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

hampig posted:

Are there any good dedicated faith weapons anywhere in the game? Magic has MLG + a DLC2 weapon, Pyro has Onyx Blade + a DLC2 weapon, but faith seems to be left with finding the best raw weapon and buffing it, or finding the best regular weapon and hoping for good lightning scaling, and the best candidates all have steep-ish requirements for a 60 faith build.

Tons of 'em but which are available to you depends on your stats. The closest analogue to the Moonlight Greatsword or Onyx Blade is Wolnir's Holy Sword, which may get poo-pooed here but has gotten some decent buffs over the patch cycle and is a perfectly serviceable weapon with low stat requirements, good Faith scaling, and a decent weapon art. Another good low requirement Faith weapon would be Lothric's Holy Sword, which has mediocre Faith scaling but an amazing weapon art. Finally I'd recommend Earth Seeker, it has a 24 Str requirement but no Dex requirement and has good Faith scaling. There's also plenty of great Faith weapons with a bit higher stat requirements, such as the Dragonslayer Greataxe, Morne's Great Hammer, Dragonslayer Spear, and Dragonslayer Swordspear.

If you are okay with infusing, Lightning infusions are usually pretty meh (I'd often prefer a Raw infusion plus a buff) but the Warpick takes a Lightning infusion surprisingly well and of course it's weapon art overwrites buffs so it becomes a good candidate. The Warpick also has the solid pure thrust damage+poise combination which is great for a Faith build that can afford to take some trade damage.

Azuth0667 posted:

Lothric knight greatsword :shrug: and I guess the rose of ariandel but, I've literally only seen it used successfully once.

The Lothric Knight Greatsword doesn't have any native Faith scaling so you gotta Lightning infuse it but it's solid after that (alternatively buffing it is tops for damage). Stat reqs are starting to get a little high for a SL 120 60 Faith build though. Rose is an okay main weapon but an amazing casting implement so it's quite a good option imo. Use the buff, it lasts a very long time and Faith builds have plenty of ways to get HP back.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

AttackBacon posted:

Finally I'd recommend Earth Seeker

what

its weapon art is really really goddamn bad. so goddamn bad

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

What is a good quality weapon if I want to two hand it, hate shields, and don't want to use the Lothric Knight Greatsword so I can save it for my Faith run? :downs: I have 27 STR and 33 DEX, and just want a cool two-handed weapon to start wrapping things up with.

Tried the crow claw hand weapon, but man I was getting wrecked with it.

Beamed fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 26, 2017

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
just bought this game after finally completing DS2 and i'm really excited to play dark souls 3 and post here a lot to share my experiences with you friends.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
If I killed Friede and Gravetender without killing Dunnel for his Pyromancy first, am I screwed?

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

Annath posted:

If I killed Friede and Gravetender without killing Dunnel for his Pyromancy first, am I screwed?

he should still invade you like normal

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Kewpuh posted:

what

its weapon art is really really goddamn bad. so goddamn bad

Earth Seeker has really good Faith scaling for a Greataxe (and it's considerably lighter with much lower stat requirements compared to Dragonslayer's or Morne's) so it's a solid weapon, even though the WA is...situational at best. It also looks super sweet and fashion is important.

Beamed posted:

What is a good quality weapon if I want to two hand it, hate shields, and don't want to use the Lothric Knight Greatsword so I can save it for my Faith run? :downs: I have 27 STR and 33 DEX, and just want a cool two-handed weapon to start wrapping things up with.

There's tons of 'em. Tons. Pretty much any physical focused greatsword, curved greatsword, or halberd is going to be great with that stat spread. The curved greatswords got buffed recently so they'd be worth a try. You probably have an Exile Greatsword kicking around, which is a pretty top tier weapon. Alternatively you could go farm up a Carthus Curved Greatsword from the big skellies down there, it's also very solid with high Bleed.

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 26, 2017

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Rough Lobster posted:

Hey, has anyone gotten a Giant Seed since the update? I've been invaded like 10 times I figured one would be guaranteed by now.

I have.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Beamed posted:

Zwiehander my man.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

AttackBacon posted:

There's tons of 'em. Tons. Pretty much any physical focused greatsword, curved greatsword, or halberd is going to be great with that stat spread. The curved greatswords got buffed recently so they'd be worth a try. You probably have an Exile Greatsword kicking around, which is a pretty top tier weapon. Alternatively you could go farm up a Carthus Curved Greatsword from the big skellies down there, it's also very solid with high Bleed.

I spent my first refined gem on the Exile Greatsword, but man, it swung so slowly.

I already have a Carthus Curved Greatsword lying around - I heard the non-greatsword was better, which turned me off for a bit. Is that not the case?

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

Zwiehander my man.

but it's so boriiiing

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Beamed posted:

I spent my first refined gem on the Exile Greatsword, but man, it swung so slowly.

I already have a Carthus Curved Greatsword lying around - I heard the non-greatsword was better, which turned me off for a bit. Is that not the case?

but it's so boriiiing

The Carthus Curved Sword has been considered the best weapon in the game for a while so if you are just looking for a strong, easy to use weapon, it's probably better (especially since it's best used two-handed anyways). It has been nerfed recently but that was largely a PvP nerf that affects its ability to rollcatch. The greatsword has its uses in that it has better reach (marginally) and poise (although not a ton). Use what you prefer, they're all strong.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Is it correct that you can access the DLC from Friede's room? Need to know if I gotta rush and kill the princes so I can get in through the Kiln or if I can just chill.

Also what's up with the launch-times? Ringed City steam page says 26 hours from now which would be midnight, so practically the 28th. But the official 1.12 patch-notes on the DS3 subreddit claims it's 10AM on the 27th CET for Steam so uuuh? That's a pretty huge difference, essentially a whole day's worth of playing.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Insurrectionist posted:

Is it correct that you can access the DLC from Friede's room? Need to know if I gotta rush and kill the princes so I can get in through the Kiln or if I can just chill.

Also what's up with the launch-times? Ringed City steam page says 26 hours from now which would be midnight, so practically the 28th. But the official 1.12 patch-notes on the DS3 subreddit claims it's 10AM on the 27th CET for Steam so uuuh? That's a pretty huge difference, essentially a whole day's worth of playing.

I've seen that theory (based on a promo screenshot) but I haven't seen it 100% confirmed anywhere. I'd clear princes to be safe if you really want to jump right in. As for launch time who knows but it seems to me the Steam thing is pretty mechanical and I'd trust that as opposed to notoriously unreliable FROM patch notes.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Accessing the DLC via Friede would be incredibly cruel. You can get there early, you just have to beat this incredibly bullshit endgame boss! :shepicide:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mans posted:

just bought this game after finally completing DS2 and i'm really excited to play dark souls 3 and post here a lot to share my experiences with you friends.

Have fun :getin:

I think after all the tweaks and changes they've made, DS3 might actually be my favorite now. I still wish it was less linear, but it's a drat fun game and I'm hoping it'll get even more fun after the second DLC :kimchi:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
as somebody with the base game only, what are my options regarding getting both dlc quickly and/or cheaply

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Wait till next week, there might be a sale.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know how much HP Siegward has? I just got to Yhorm and he managed to die before I could even sprint halfway to the Storm Ruler, dealing no damage to the boss and dying right near the door. Must've been 1 or 2 hits :iiam:

Never experienced this before.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Your Computer posted:

Does anyone know how much HP Siegward has? I just got to Yhorm and he managed to die before I could even sprint halfway to the Storm Ruler, dealing no damage to the boss and dying right near the door. Must've been 1 or 2 hits :iiam:

Never experienced this before.

was there a gargoyle chasing you? Could be a fluke with a mob enemy? Weird though.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
I've seen him tank multiple full combos from Yhorm and I've never had him die in over a dozen solo kills so it's probably something wonky like that.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Perhaps he keeps the same HP from the first fight with the fire demon? He might've taken a beating in that fight.

But yeah, I've seen him facetank like a pro before so I got really confused when I started running for the sword and heard the sound of him dying. Turned around and I got an angry giant on my rear end and a shiny on the floor :whitewater:

e: I definitely ran past the gargoyles too though so that might actually be it

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah my first playthough Sieg basically solod the boss while I hit the feet. Second playthrough I went for the Stomruler and Sieg died as I was putting it on or something.

I'm guessing normally Sieg is just good about healing himself, but in circumstances where aggro isn't bouncing it's possible for Yorm to combo him to death?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Anyone else just see a maintenance notification? Odd to do it again after Friday. This was on PS4.

V Thanks!

hanales fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 27, 2017

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

hanales posted:

Anyone else just see a maintenance notification? Odd to do it again after Friday. This was on PS4.

There's supposed to be a second (tiny) patch that goes along with activating the DLC, I think.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Anybody around SL60 on PC that can help me with twin princes? The second phase is messing me up, and summon signs seem to be rare right now. Trying to get my new strength dude ready for the DLC.

Edit: Got it done. If Vedri is somebody here, you helped me out!

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 27, 2017

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
You can get a visceral on the Dancer!? :aaaaa:

This Ultra Greatsword run has opened my eyes.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
UGS are p ridiculous atm

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

UGS are p ridiculous atm
I've been having a good time with the plain old guts greatsword, with a heavy infusion. It is the only weapon I've upgraded with the character I started Friday. I summoned help for Vordt, then made the long run to Farron Keep to pick it up. Have been casually murdering my way through the game with it.

This is how I am currently set up, at SL60. Very simple character. Have access to the kiln of the first flame now, so I should be ready to jump into the DLC. Been a long time since I played dark souls 3, so I admit I am a bit rusty. Fun though.
https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls3/157183

I realize my SL is probably low for it, but eh. I am looking forward to getting my hands on that giant hammer.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Filthy Monkey posted:

I've been having a good time with the plain old guts greatsword, with a heavy infusion. It is the only weapon I've upgraded with the character I started Friday. I summoned help for Vordt, then made the long run to Farron Keep to pick it up. Have been casually murdering my way through the game with it.

This is how I am currently set up, at SL60. Very simple character. Have access to the kiln of the first flame now, so I should be ready to jump into the DLC. Been a long time since I played dark souls 3, so I admit I am a bit rusty. Fun though.
https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls3/157183

I realize my SL is probably low for it, but eh. I am looking forward to getting my hands on that giant hammer.

I was gonna say, SL60 sounds low. I just rushed to the Princes on my closest character and I found a ton of summon signs, at SL70-something.

Speaking of summon signs, I tried putting mine down and helping some people out but jeez... why do people summon several phantoms? Other than something like Crystal Sages, having multiple phantoms makes most fights harder instead of easier. Twin Princes is a good example, it gets extremely hard to dodge Lorian's wide sweeps when he's just randomly swinging at three different people and the increased health just means that the host dies before we can whittle down the boss.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Wow. So I guess this invader got super butthurt that I had a blue or had the washing pole on a low level character? Even though the beat me, they invited me to the steam group "KidsThatSuckAtDarkSoulsButThinkThey'reGood"

More confusingly, they were using a twin sword and trying to parry a lot. Also, a lot of going an hiding behind mobs. Was almost tempted to ask them what their deal was since I try not to play like an rear end but judging from the player's profile I doubt much good would have come of it.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Your Computer posted:

I was gonna say, SL60 sounds low. I just rushed to the Princes on my closest character and I found a ton of summon signs, at SL70-something.
Guess I should up my SL a bit to get more bites then. I usually like staying lower, but I also enjoy jolly cooperation. Looking at the calculator, maybe SL82? It would let me match with SL64-SL-100, which feels like a solid range.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

Wow. So I guess this invader got super butthurt that I had a blue or had the washing pole on a low level character? Even though the beat me, they invited me to the steam group "KidsThatSuckAtDarkSoulsButThinkThey'reGood"

More confusingly, they were using a twin sword and trying to parry a lot. Also, a lot of going an hiding behind mobs. Was almost tempted to ask them what their deal was since I try not to play like an rear end but judging from the player's profile I doubt much good would have come of it.

Someone was acting like a spaz and ate poo poo to a blue while I just sat there puzzled and I got a NoFunAllowed invite or something like that despite having done barely anything. It's almost like a essential mandate of these games that the pvp be busted and filled with weirdos.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I must've played too much Monster Hunter because I just realized I barely ever use the lock-on anymore. Maybe it's because I'm so used to all the enemies and their movesets by now?

I'm even one of those people who used to think it was super frustrating to see other people playing the game without lock-on :iiam:

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Genocyber posted:

Speaking of, anyone have a good idea for a new thread title?

Dark Souls III - The Ringed City: It's Legit, It Has The Ring

also vordts great hammer inflicts frostbite in like a swing or two, which I am glad for because goddamn that thing needed a niche

basalt
Jan 11, 2015

It's been a while since I played this game and it's ridiculous how much I've forgotten in regards to combat. I felt reasonably confident in my abilities but now I can barely make it through a hollow encounter unscathed.

I did a little co-op to re-familiarise myself and noticed that there were far fewer connection issues than I remember from the last time I played (things were often impossible due to various glitches). Did they make some changes or is this just the result of fewer people playing?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

bloodclot posted:

It's been a while since I played this game and it's ridiculous how much I've forgotten in regards to combat. I felt reasonably confident in my abilities but now I can barely make it through a hollow encounter unscathed.

This was me a week or so ago, my hands just wouldn't press the right buttons.

Now that I'm back in the groove I swear I've gotten better at the game than I was the last time I played though :iiam: Enemies that I used to have a lot of problems with (Evangelists, Cathedral Knights, basically anything you can't stagger) are suddenly not a problem anymore and I have no idea why I was struggling so badly with them before.

Sperglord Firecock posted:

Dark Souls III - The Ringed City: It's Legit, It Has The Ring

Alternatively, if there are no rings in the DLC

Dark Souls III - The Ringed City: No Ring, 0/10

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Genocyber posted:

Speaking of, anyone have a good idea for a new thread title?

My hammer's name is also Vordt

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
the red ringed city of death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

So on the character I just leveled up for the DLC and killed princes with, I set the controller down wrong and killed the loving blacksmith.

:suicide: