Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Somfin posted:

You started with the best one for characterisation. Link has never been as lovably dim as he is in Wind Waker.

The best bit is early on when they're discussing how to get Link into the Forsaken Fortress, smash cut to Link looking down and reacting in shock as he apparently suddenly realises he's in a barrel about to be launched from a catapult

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

2house2fly posted:

The best bit is early on when they're discussing how to get Link into the Forsaken Fortress, smash cut to Link looking down and reacting in shock as he apparently suddenly realises he's in a barrel about to be launched from a catapult

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Cw1U_MjTZg

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Somfin posted:

Nier: Automata:

Pod 042 getting fuckin' sassy.

I know right? His interactions with his partner were the best

Anyway, i just got the last real ending of that game and i need to go for a walk or something. After this whiskey.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
probably said a million times in this thread but

Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
Disabling weapons/spells during brawls.

Way more satisfying to take people on in hand-to-hand combat for bar disputes/drunkenness/name calling. Lotta games let you pull out your guns and vaporize people with the pull of the trigger if you voluntarily choose the combat option. But its fun to knock some dude on his rear end fair and square and end the conflict without painting taverns red.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

buglord posted:

Way more satisfying to take people on in hand-to-hand combat for bar disputes/drunkenness/name calling. Lotta games let you pull out your guns and vaporize people with the pull of the trigger if you voluntarily choose the combat option. But its fun to knock some dude on his rear end fair and square and end the conflict without painting taverns red.

At the same time, kinda removes the premise of the Witchers being bioengineered super soldiers if they can be knocked flat on their arse by some random wino.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I keep struggling on puzzles in the new Zelda, but then realising I've forgotten I have the ice block power. Any water hazard I immediately forget it exists, from Lake Hylia to the Zora Dungeon Animal, to the bottomless swamps.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

I keep struggling on puzzles in the new Zelda, but then realising I've forgotten I have the ice block power. Any water hazard I immediately forget it exists, from Lake Hylia to the Zora Dungeon Animal, to the bottomless swamps.
it is absolutely the most forgettable one, I guess because it's a little more limited in use than the others. Bombs work everywhere because they're bombs, magnesis has a million uses on loads of different things from rocks to giant castle doors, stasis the same, cryonis is just there and it's kind of fiddly and only really has a couple of uses. It's still fun but it's definitely the odd one out of a really cool and varied power set.

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007

Samovar posted:

At the same time, kinda removes the premise of the Witchers being bioengineered super soldiers if they can be knocked flat on their arse by some random wino.

I think the books and games suggest that witchers just have higher upper limits than a normal person and their monster killing abilities have a lot to do with being able to physiologically handle a lot of super rad drugs.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

BioEnchanted posted:

Oh right! I don't need to swim as much. I can use loving ice blocks!
I also desperately ran home from the starting shrine that's in the cold region staying alive by using a burning club because I forgot that you can just teleport out of there...

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Trainmonk posted:

I think the books and games suggest that witchers just have higher upper limits than a normal person and their monster killing abilities have a lot to do with being able to physiologically handle a lot of super rad drugs.

Yeah unless you want a really hard time of it you down all the potions and mutagens you can, and abuse the hell out of signs and witcher traps/tools.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Yeah, Geralt is guicing.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Unperson_47 posted:

Yeah, Geralt is guicing.

You can see the effects on him in cutscenes, even minor ones like when talking to merchants. If his Toxicity is above 0 his blood vessels will be prominently purple.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

buglord posted:

In my experience this was something limited to certain scripted fights. At the end of the prologue when a bunch of guys jump you in the tavern, I specifically tried to fist fight them and wasn't able to- Geralt just pulled his sword out and wasted them. I looked on the wiki and didn't see any other outcome for that quest than "you kill them all and the landlady throws you out"

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

2house2fly posted:

In my experience this was something limited to certain scripted fights. At the end of the prologue when a bunch of guys jump you in the tavern, I specifically tried to fist fight them and wasn't able to- Geralt just pulled his sword out and wasted them. I looked on the wiki and didn't see any other outcome for that quest than "you kill them all and the landlady throws you out"

I didn't even know there was an option to fistfight people. I would always murder people that tried to fight me, because that seemed like something a Witcher would do.

In Zelda: Breath of the Wild, if you unequip your weapon but hit the unsheathe sword button, Link will reach behind him, grasp at air, and then look at his hand like "WTF?" for a second. That game is also like "Little Things: The Game." It's the first time the tips screen has been incredibly helpful as a lot of things aren't exactly obvious, like that lighting grass on fire creates an updraft.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Strife posted:

I didn't even know there was an option to fistfight people. I would always murder people that tried to fight me, because that seemed like something a Witcher would do.

In the books this is literally how Geralt is introduced. His character really starts as "what if an edgy teenager actually could kick rear end and gently caress ladies?"

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Glukeose posted:

In the books this is literally how Geralt is introduced. His character really starts as "what if an edgy teenager actually could kick rear end and gently caress ladies?"
he's emotionally stunted as gently caress, it's kind of his thing

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Geralt of Rivia somehow slams into edgelord territory so hard he punches through and out the other side into genuine badass.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Geralt of Rivia in the books is My Cool Silver-Haired Anime Notebook Character Who Fucks All The Wommenz with some moments of something better, the Witcher 1 isn't much better and it's only in W2/3 that he really starts to get better.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just got to my final Guardian Beast in Zelda, the Goron salamander. Not enjoying Death Mountain so far, kinda annoying, and once I've bought more fire-resist potions and cleared it out, I may end up grinding Rupees so that I can buy a just unfair amount of Ancient Arrows for Hyrule Castle as it is littered with those Guardian fuckers..

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

ImpAtom posted:

Geralt of Rivia in the books is My Cool Silver-Haired Anime Notebook Character Who Fucks All The Wommenz with some moments of something better, the Witcher 1 isn't much better and it's only in W2/3 that he really starts to get better.

W1 Geralt takes crap from no man (or boy) https://youtu.be/g-egGn5WYrk

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

BioEnchanted posted:

Just got to my final Guardian Beast in Zelda, the Goron salamander. Not enjoying Death Mountain so far, kinda annoying, and once I've bought more fire-resist potions and cleared it out, I may end up grinding Rupees so that I can buy a just unfair amount of Ancient Arrows for Hyrule Castle as it is littered with those Guardian fuckers..

I've killed enough guardians to make a full set of ancient armor and upgrade it to second to last level and I've never used an ancient arrow
Parrying and stasis+ are your friends

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Calaveron posted:

I've killed enough guardians to make a full set of ancient armor and upgrade it to second to last level and I've never used an ancient arrow
Parrying and stasis+ are your friends

Honestly, ancient arrows don't do as much as you'd think to guardians. Normal arrows interrupt their beam charge just fine.

Instant-kill on literally every other enemy, though.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

pulp rag posted:

Why do you think I described it as an unfair amount? gently caress the difficulty curve. Also when I tried them out I think I killed a Guardian in 3 ancient arrows which is pretty good, although I'm assuming the endgame ones are stronger.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
If you crit any guardian w the ancient arrow its a instant kill. I prefer bowling them over with my giant horse and chopping all their legs off tho.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

pulp rag posted:

Honestly, ancient arrows don't do as much as you'd think to guardians. Normal arrows interrupt their beam charge just fine.

Hitting them in the eye with an ancient arrow kills them dead.

E: beaten.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Morpheus posted:

Hitting them in the eye with an ancient arrow kills them dead.

E: beaten.

THat's what I've been doing, I just treat them like Beamos and it works fine. they basically are.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Speaking of the guardians, running through hyrule field, seeing the targetting reticle on you suddenly vanish and knowing that a blast of death is racing for you, then dodging out of the way is so loving fun. Gets the heart racing too, those lasers don't gently caress around.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

By the way I keep remembering I never went back to Rito village for the prize for dealing with the Giant Stone Bird. Whoops, I'll have to remember to do that...

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Action Tortoise posted:

There's an article about a journalist gathering a bunch of Yakuza to play it and wrote down their thoughts.

Funny parts where when they agreed on the game's choice of which food and energy drinks heal better, how Kiryu's dragon tattoo was too modest, and that his suit was mostly spot on as a Yakuza save for the cheap looking red shirt.

Edit: found it
http://boingboing.net/2010/08/10/yakuza-3-review.html

Great article, thanks for sharing. Loved the part where they are all basically in love with the journalist to the point where one is like hey don't say that name it's offensive. And then they rag on him for being in the Jewish CIA.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Using a perfect shield action to defeat a guardian makes encounters trivial. You reflect the beam back 3-4 times and it's toast.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

SomeJazzyRat posted:

If this has been recorded for posterity, I would like to see it please.

Seconding this.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

he's emotionally stunted as gently caress, it's kind of his thing

It reminds me of that bit in Van Helsing, where Dracula is all moping and emo - "I don't feel anything! that makes me feel angry! " Kaer Morhen is just a bunch of frat boys moaning about how they don't have emotions because it's easier than having to deal with emotions.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Cloks posted:

Using a perfect shield action to defeat a guardian makes encounters trivial. You reflect the beam back 3-4 times and it's toast.

Wait, what? Do you need a special shield for this or is it just a regular shield parry?

Breath of the Wild just keeps getting better. I can only play it for a few hours a week due to work right now but every single time I play I find something new and wonderful or go on a cool little mini-adventure. It's the kind of game where I really like flinging myself into a combat situation with overwhelming odds and trying to figure out the best weapon/shield/elixir combination to prevail. I've heard a fair amount of complaints about a lack of enemy variety, and while I don't really agree I can see where people are getting those opinions. Still, I find that almost every encounter is unique somehow, even against an identical group of enemies, just based on the environment and what I have on hand at the time. I killed my first Stone Talos last night on a tiny little plateau, after having run from one in the past. After my first few attacks did absolutely nothing, I frantically tried to stay out of the way while taking a picture of the thing so I could look it up in the Compendium and figure out how to kill it. That kind of thing is awesome.

Also I finally found Hestu (after not running into him for like 8 hours) so that's awesome....if only I could find that motherfucker again....

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Breath of the Wild has ignited a sense of discovery in me like no other game has since, like, the SNES days. I'm not just hunting down things, crossing off objectives and quests on a list, anything like that - I'm just exploring and it's so awesome. Not looking anything up, not spoiling anything for myself, just looking around for what I can find.

Like, a while ago I found a shrine that told me I needed something called Dinraal's Scale. I had no idea what the gently caress it was talking about. And I didn't look it up. Cue, maybe ten hours of playing later, noticing strong updrafts all around me, weird sparks falling down, and looking up to see a huge motherfucking asian dragon spiraling through the air. I didn't know what to do, I just stared at it for a few minutes, watching it move (after taking a picture, of course). Then, I shot it with an arrow out of curiousity, saw a brightly glowing object fall, and went to pick it up after seeing the huge dragon disappear into a portal in the sky. It was its scale, exactly what I needed for the shrine.

It felt so goddamn good finding that stuff out.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I like walking around the Mansion in the RE remake. I don't have to do anything, just walk around and admire how nice it looks.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Something funny, I thought RE7 was another remake, because all I saw on the box was RESIDENT EVIL (vr) with a pic of a mansion on it. I hadn't heard of 7 yet, and I didn't notice it because of how it is hidden in the main title like this: RESIDENT E(VII)_. I thought it was a upscaled remake allowing people to explore the umbrella mansion in VR.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

oldpainless posted:

I like walking around the Mansion in the RE remake. I don't have to do anything, just walk around and admire how nice it looks.

This was pretty much the only reason that RE5's DLC (which thankfully came with the HD remaster version on PS4) was worth a drat. It's not quite the same layout, but holy poo poo is it ever pretty.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

BioEnchanted posted:

Something funny, I thought RE7 was another remake, because all I saw on the box was RESIDENT EVIL (vr) with a pic of a mansion on it. I hadn't heard of 7 yet, and I didn't notice it because of how it is hidden in the main title like this: RESIDENT E(VII)_. I thought it was a upscaled remake allowing people to explore the umbrella mansion in VR.

They did the same with the series' original Japanese name, Biohazard.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanfy posted:

They did the same with the series' original Japanese name, Biohazard.

You just know some graphic designer had the best day of their life when they realized they could do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
That graphic designer hosed a 10 that night