Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

IIRC he was never the writer, just the artist.

I remember one sequence where he was telling the editor that Cap wouldn't act a certain way and the editor was all "Jeez why do the artists always think they should write too" which was a lot funnier a few years later when Image was founded

Or just the way Stan Lee was with his artists when they did all the heavy lifting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Stan Lee did his share of heavy lifting. For example on early Fantastic Four, and late Kirby's Wife.

e: before anyone wastes time googling that, I'm pretty sure it's not true

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Mar 26, 2017

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I thought Steve's thing was Liberty Bonds.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

Nessus posted:

I thought Steve's thing was Liberty Bonds.

That was his OC.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dang that just makes me want to read Hickman Avengers

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

[quote="Toshimo" post="470680051"]
Thor stuff.

Would you like to make out?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Thor has had some low points over the years, but maaan, when writers remember he's a god and treat him like it, nobody, and I mean nobody out badasses him in the entire MU.

My favorite Thor moment is at the end of the Godzilla series, where he and Big G have a battle of strength, with Godzilla trying to push over the Empire State Building, and Thor holding it up from the other side, alone--and Godzilla is the one to flinch.

Though that moment is a close second to earlier in the series when Hercules manages to throw Godzilla. When Godzilla's foot alone is ten times his size.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

10 Beers posted:

Toshimo posted:

Thor stuff.

Would you like to make out?
Just don't do it at his house unless you're a really good swimmer

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

So lots of people are talking about Marvel vampires in the funny panels thread, but this doesn't fit over there.

This is how the real badasses of the marvel universe deal with vampires. I refer, of course, to Pete Wisdom and the rest of MI-13.

Dracula has a massive legion of vampires on the moon. He's taken out the only thing that can prevent his armies from reaching the UK, and in doing so has turned Spitfire. His scouts come prepare for landing.

Yes, he did just carpet-bomb Dracula's scouts with holy water. Because when you're the head of the UK equivalent of SHIELD, you can do that kinda poo poo.

That isn't the end of it (for reasons that are spoiler-y, and you really should read this arc). The vampires are still coming.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Choco1980 posted:

Though that moment is a close second to earlier in the series when Hercules manages to throw Godzilla. When Godzilla's foot alone is ten times his size.

Hercules once staggered Galactus with a punch in a What If, which he should probably consider his 13th labor.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lurdiak posted:

Hercules once staggered Galactus with a punch in a What If, which he should probably consider his 13th labor.

Wasn't Galactus drunk as gently caress at the time? So drunk he took his helmet off?

I swear that happened in a comic somewhere, I remember reading it and I'm not smart enough to make something like that up.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Jerusalem posted:

Wasn't Galactus drunk as gently caress at the time? So drunk he took his helmet off?

I swear that happened in a comic somewhere, I remember reading it and I'm not smart enough to make something like that up.

Not sure where this comes from, but sounds like what you're thinking of:

Although the mention of "recorded" at the end makes me think it's Bob Layton's Hercules mini from the '80s when he had the Recorder hanging out with him. (Or was it Machine Man? No, I think it was the Recorder.) Basically, Hercules and his trusty sidekick travel throughout the universe, having goofy adventures. Great fun.

Whole bunch of drunk-hero pages here: https://comicvine.gamespot.com/marvel/4010-31/forums/marvels-official-best-alcohol-drinker-526392/

prefect fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Mar 27, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Totally different story.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I'm glad there's multiple Galactus gets drunk stories out there.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

No I just mean it's a different story than the time Hercules punched Galactus in his bonch.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that was a What-If where Swordsman gets effortlessly vaporized by Galactus and that causes Hercules to go berserk and go at him.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Went to the library today. First thing in the graphic novel section, the start of Aaron's 2014 run on Thor. Have to grab the rest off Hoopla or something, but I've been inspired. I had no idea that Jason Aaron was doing anything other than Southern Bastards, though I should've known.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

He's also doing The Goddamned.

Sometimes.

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.
Hercules smashing Galactus in his balls was in What If v2 #41

And the follow up, because why not?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

That Ignorant Sap posted:

The Watcher's been hitting the gym, I guess.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That's how he looked for the first decade of his existence or so. The Funko Pop proportions are a modern take on the character.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Godammit Watcher you are the worst Watcher ever. More watching, less hitting Galactus. Leave that to weirdos like Sphinx.

I also like the statement that he's not a god... but oh yeah he happens to be [b]THE ALL[./b]

But not a god.

EDIT: Oh man, I think H.E.R.B.I.E. was in that issue! :downs:

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 27, 2017

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Shovelmint posted:

Went to the library today. First thing in the graphic novel section, the start of Aaron's 2014 run on Thor. Have to grab the rest off Hoopla or something, but I've been inspired. I had no idea that Jason Aaron was doing anything other than Southern Bastards, though I should've known.

You are at the beginning of a wonderful journey. First things first: Jason Aaron's run on Thor began in 2012 with God of Thunder. The 2014-onward stuff is perfectly enjoyable without it, but as the title of this very thread will tell you, you'll be missing out hard if you skip God of Thunder. Seriously some of the best comics ever. Be sure to also pick up his runs on Ghost Rider and Wolverine and the X-Men.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Well, I also activated Hoopla today. Which feels like the world greatest piracy site, except it's totally legal :toot: and I can only get 8 titles a month :argh: Should let me read God of Thunder as well, though I also want to read Nailbiter. Luckily the month is almost over, so I can reload pretty quick.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Shovelmint posted:

Well, I also activated Hoopla today. Which feels like the world greatest piracy site, except it's totally legal :toot: and I can only get 8 titles a month :argh: Should let me read God of Thunder as well, though I also want to read Nailbiter. Luckily the month is almost over, so I can reload pretty quick.

It's trades on Hoopla, right? It's only 4 or 5 trades before Jane Thor takes over.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, it's trades, but sometimes I can also get deluxe editions or omnibii.

edit: Just not of Marvel's Thor, looks like Marvel doesn't have anything on Hoopla? Tons of Image though. Guess Marvel doesn't want the poors to enjoy their back catalogue. So I'll have to look elsewhere I guess. All of Nailbiter except the final trade is on Hoopla, though. Since I own the final issue in print because the cover was terrifying, only 4 issues to track down to read the entire story.

Shovelmint fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 28, 2017

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Shovelmint posted:

Yeah, it's trades, but sometimes I can also get deluxe editions or omnibii.

edit: Just not of Marvel's Thor, looks like Marvel doesn't have anything on Hoopla? Tons of Image though. Guess Marvel doesn't want the poors to enjoy their back catalogue. So I'll have to look elsewhere I guess. All of Nailbiter except the final trade is on Hoopla, though. Since I own the final issue in print because the cover was terrifying, only 4 issues to track down to read the entire story.
Marvel has its own service, Marvel Unlimited, and you can get a free month off Iron Fist tie-in promo code RAND which expires tomorrow

zoux
Apr 28, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
MU is on a free month about half the year it seems.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

That Ignorant Sap posted:

Hercules smashing Galactus in his balls was in What If v2 #41

Real talk. One of my all time favourite things in comics is when two people get into a fight and they both throw punches that hit off each other.
That poo poo be epic!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

The Question IRL posted:

Real talk. One of my all time favourite things in comics is when two people get into a fight and they both throw punches that hit off each other.
That poo poo be epic!

Just remember that this is the perception of Galactus from the human mind and not his actual form. In actuality both he and likely The Watcher look entirely different and possibly not even something that can be rendered in standard euclidean space. Galactus is always perceived buy races as their most feared object. It's possible that the Watcher perceives Galactus in a Way Beyond the comprehension of mere mortals.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Our most feared object is a big man in a purple skirt and a Grand Poobah hat.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Galactus symbolises the conservative right's innate fear of powerfully muscled gay men dressed up for a pride march.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Apparently we like big purple men.

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I miss the big G on his chest.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

I always felt like this page should have included Unicron, given all the other robot heads. But it looks like the issue came out a few months before the Marvel Transformers comic even started, let alone the introduction of Unicron years later.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

too small please help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Herr Tog posted:

too small please help

Each mind that views this image struggles as best it can to perceive that unreadable text as dialogue it can comprehend.