Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Remember last year when people were saying the same thing and there were multiple posters here who thought they were going to get swept by the Rangers?

Not me. I knew all along that the Pittsburgh Penguins would win the Stanley Cup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mind_Taker posted:

The Penguins only chance is to face Washington in the first round since that's a guaranteed victory no matter the circumstances. That could buy enough time for their other players to get healthy enough for a deep run. Columbus has a much better chance of beating Pittsburgh.

I think most of their injured players would probably be playing right now were it the playoffs with the exception of Letang who is out with a mystery ailment and Hagelin who is in a walking boot.

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

If you're a Blues fan, that OT period against Calgary must have made you loving furious.
Here's the full OT period: https://streamable.com/80ksi

To be fair, the Flames are really loving good in OT.

Also, Tkachuk pulled off a double between the legs rush during the game:

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

If the Blues having a lovely OT was enough to infuriate me I'm sure I would've lost my mind a decade ago.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

TeamJesus posted:

Here's the full OT period: https://streamable.com/80ksi

To be fair, the Flames are really loving good in OT.

Also, Tkachuk pulled off a double between the legs rush during the game:

Jesus

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yo Blues just go ahead and make those your new primary uniforms, thx

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I wonder if McAvoy is going to sign with the Bruins before the game tomorrow night. On one hand it's kind of a bad time of the year, considering the Bruins current circumstances, to add a rookie defenseman. On the other hand, Charlie McAvoy is really loving good.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Citizen Tayne posted:

Not many chances to find one of those when you play the Flyers

Funny how they embarrassed your team then

Apr 7, 2003

HappyHippo posted:

Funny how they embarrassed your team then

The Pens are in take-it-easy coast-to-playoffs mode right now, hth. The time for the Flyers to embarrass anyone was a month and a half ago.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Citizen Tayne posted:

Not me. I knew all along that the Pittsburgh Penguins would win the Stanley Cup.

Seriously. Every game of the post season I just posted that the Cubs would win the World Series and they did. It's an effective method. Too bad it only works for whoever starts doing it first. Congratulations back to back Stanley Cup Champions Pittsburgh Penguins.

Apr 7, 2003

RC Cola posted:

Seriously. Every game of the post season I just posted that the Cubs would win the World Series and they did. It's an effective method. Too bad it only works for whoever starts doing it first. Congratulations back to back Stanley Cup Champions Pittsburgh Penguins.

Thank you, friend.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

RC Cola posted:

Nah, I posted that Columbus would win back in the fall, and I don't think I was even the first to try out that hilarious and not lame gimmick.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Citizen Tayne posted:

The Pens are in take-it-easy coast-to-playoffs mode right now, hth.

Pens can get away with this, not the Caps...

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

xzzy posted:

Nah, I posted that Columbus would win back in the fall, and I don't think I was even the first to try out that hilarious and not lame gimmick.

It only counts if you start the last couple months though

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
It'd be cool if the Pittsburgh Penguins would stop dying every game. Watching Sid and Wilksbarre is getting a little old.

Apr 7, 2003

Ginette Reno posted:

It'd be cool if the Pittsburgh Penguins would stop dying every game. Watching Sid and Wilksbarre is getting a little old.

The Pens are the hockey equivalent of the St. Louis Cardinals, when someone goes down they just take another Terminator off the shelf from Wilkes-Barre and plug it in. It even worked for the coach.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Citizen Tayne posted:

The Pens are the hockey equivalent of the St. Louis Cardinals, when someone goes down they just take another Terminator off the shelf from Wilkes-Barre and plug it in. It even worked for the coach.

I guess that makes Sheary the T-1000 and Carter Rowney the T-800.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

And the rest of us are hoping their plans are ruined by Hamilton.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

DJExile posted:

Yo Blues just go ahead and make those your new primary uniforms, thx

Yeah they are much better than their old thirds or whatever those navy ones with the arch on the crest were.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

CBJ aren't poo poo anymore, we get it,, you don't have to go to ridiculous lengths at every chance to try to convince everyone that they're not total garbage

What a great fanbase. Steal all the jokes Flyers fans have made about the Penguins over the last 20 years, except at least the Flyers (a) have won the Stanley Cup twice, even if over 40 years ago, and (b) have been mostly successful in the 40 years since, including beating the Penguins 3 times in playoff series

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

ElwoodCuse posted:

What a great fanbase. Steal all the jokes Flyers fans have made about the Penguins over the last 20 years, except at least the Flyers (a) have won the Stanley Cup twice, even if over 40 years ago, and (b) have been mostly successful in the 40 years since, including beating the Penguins 3 times in playoff series

Can't we all just get along and agree to only make fun of the Caps upcoming 2nd round game 7 exit?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I don't mind the Jackets other than Dubinsky. I wouldn't consider them much of a rival for the Pens yet though. It's a bit of a one sided rivalry until the Jackets beat the Pens in a playoff series (which will probably happen this year).

We hate the poo poo out of the Flyers because they've owned the Pens for years and years even ignoring the cross state rivalry aspect of it.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
drat. Elwood just dunking on all of us lately. Just raw rude posting. Hope he doesn't look my way

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

I don't mind the Jackets other than Dubinsky. I wouldn't consider them much of a rival for the Pens yet though. It's a bit of a one sided rivalry until the Jackets beat the Pens in a playoff series (which will probably happen this year).

We hate the poo poo out of the Flyers because they've owned the Pens for years and years even ignoring the cross state rivalry aspect of it.

I think as of last night, the flyers have only lost like 2, maybe 3 games in the Pens new arena. It's the damndest thing.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

DJExile posted:

I think as of last night, the flyers have only lost like 2, maybe 3 games in the Pens new arena. It's the damndest thing.

Reminder that from 1974 to 1989 the Pens went 0-39-3 at the Spectrum.

There have been a few lulls where the Pens have gotten the better of the Flyers but by and large poo poo like the 2012 series is just how its gone. And Crosby has probably only exacerbated it because Flyers fan hate him far more than they ever hated Lemieux or Jagr. If Crosby got cancer and came back to play in a game now he'd probably still get booed unlike Lemieux who somehow got an ovation in Philly.

e: Maf has been named the Pens Masterton candidate, I guess for putting up with the trying circumstance of being usurped by a goalie who is better than him in every way despite being given every chance to win back his starter job.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Mar 27, 2017

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Thufir posted:

Yeah they are much better than their old thirds or whatever those navy ones with the arch on the crest were.

They were terribly boring but everyone loved them. Hope they're gone.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
As much as I'm sure y'all don't like Tkachuk for that massive elbow he laid on Doughty, I'm pretty drat excited to have him under low-cost control for the next few years

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Doughty is Canadian, a King, a whiner, and a dirty rat himself so actually I'm happy noted American Prince Matthew Tkachuk elbowed him right in the loving chops

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

N: Kasperi Kapanen was called up

V: that's good

N: he's skating on the fourth line and Ben Smith got moved up

V: that's bad

N: Andersen started practice

N: he left early and the nets belong to Curtis McElhinney and Garrett Sparks

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Oh.....

Are they gonna be eliminated now?

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

As much as I'm sure y'all don't like Tkachuk for that massive elbow he laid on Doughty, I'm pretty drat excited to have him under low-cost control for the next few years

He Rules

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum

Ginette Reno posted:

If Crosby got cancer and came back to play in a game now he'd probably still get booed unlike Lemieux who somehow got an ovation in Philly.

Even I wouldn't do that. I'd cheer for the cancer

It was weird, dirty and fun rooting for the Flyers yesterday.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Koopa Kid posted:

N: Kasperi Kapanen was called up

N: he's skating on the fourth line and Ben Smith got moved up

N: Andersen started practice

N: he left early and the nets belong to Curtis McElhinney and Garrett Sparks

I thought Sparks got sent to the netherrealm.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Garrett Sparks sounds like a name you just made up.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

That's Garrett "first Leaf goalie to ever get a shutout in his debut" Sparks to you

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
The Masterton trophy thing of having every team's writers pick a guy is pretty silly there are so few players in the entire league with a legit claim to the award

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Apparently the Rangers are signing something called a Vinnie Letteiri from Minnesota?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

lol, the 25k bonus keller gets for playing 5 games would be a penalty against next season's cap for the coyotes. i was originally thinking there's no way old man tipp isn't going to scratch him every other game but now who knows. more 3d chess from chayka

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I don't know if Keller can be the star the Coyotes were waiting for but he's super talented and reminds me of Gaudreau/Kane more than any other young American out there. He'll certainly make up for Dylan loving Strome.

And speaking of super talented Americans Kyle Connor had a lovely start to the year but he's tearing up for Manitoba now and will tear it up for Winnipeg in the not so distant future if he gets the chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Broad Street Hockey has a great interview with Kate Frese, a photographer for SBNation who's been doing Flyers games for a few years now, it's a very neat read

• Locked thread