Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
To be fair, being really good for the first 50 episodes is only 14 off 5Ds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Okay, let's not act like there aren't some lovely duels in the first 50 episodes of Arc-V, Mitchie and that dumbass Quiz kid were pretty bad and five dudes jumping in to beat three Obelisk grunts was also kinda rear end.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Captain Baal posted:

Okay, let's not act like there aren't some lovely duels in the first 50 episodes of Arc-V, Mitchie and that dumbass Quiz kid were pretty bad and five dudes jumping in to beat three Obelisk grunts was also kinda rear end.

The quiz kid was the only universally panned episode.
The Obelisk kerfuffle was actually fun and they still seemed somewhat threatening.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That poo poo was not fun seeing it stretched out for multiple episodes and having a multitude of characters look like dorks against three random grunts in a force that was already considered a joke. Like a total of six characters had to be involved in that fight to beat them and two had to get carded, it was loving stupid. That would not be the last time Gong and Sawatari got clowned though so I guess it was just setting the stage for things to come.

Like the show was definitely good in the first year, but let's not act like it was perfect. There were absolutely lovely episodes mixed in-between everything especially after they got thrown into that four biospheres nonsense for the tournament.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Mar 27, 2017

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Captain Baal posted:

That poo poo was not fun seeing it stretched out for multiple episodes and having a multitude of characters look like dorks against three random grunts in a force that was already considered a joke. Like a total of six characters had to be involved in that fight to beat them and two had to get carded, it was loving stupid. That would not be the last time Gong and Sawatari got clowned though so I guess it was just setting the stage for things to come.

Like the show was definitely good in the first year, but let's not act like it was perfect. There were absolutely lovely episodes mixed in-between everything especially after they got thrown into that four biospheres nonsense for the tournament.

Sure, but that's every series. Did you forget... literally all of Ruka's duels? Her first duel is so bad it feels like it's gone on for an hour and I have legitimately lost track of who the gently caress's turn it was during that loving boring rear end series of episodes. So yeah, Arc-V Isn't pure smooth magic. But nothing is... Also I liked everyone getting chumped by the Obelisk squad. If the Obelisk squad had continued to be as dangerous, I'd have felt better. And to be honest? I liked Synchro. It wasn't as GOOD as Standard, and yeah, every single human being in Synchro except Yugo, Jack and Enjoy are the Literal Worst, but I enjoyed it.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Synchro is the reason Cardians exist, as someone yet to watch Arc V that's all I care about, so Synchro is good. :colbert:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

And sergei
Such a pure and noble heart, thirsting for beauty.

And IM ANGRY THAT ROGER DIDNT REAPPEAR.

I think I like synchro best, because it could have been so much more and the foundation for those things exist, but were squandered.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Dexie posted:

First fifty are great.

Synchro arc is flawed but still overall good.

I still like parts of the last fifty.

I managed to hold on until Yuri was gone. Then the show came crashing down very fast.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Onmi posted:

Sure, but that's every series. Did you forget... literally all of Ruka's duels? Her first duel is so bad it feels like it's gone on for an hour and I have legitimately lost track of who the gently caress's turn it was during that loving boring rear end series of episodes. So yeah, Arc-V Isn't pure smooth magic. But nothing is... Also I liked everyone getting chumped by the Obelisk squad. If the Obelisk squad had continued to be as dangerous, I'd have felt better. And to be honest? I liked Synchro. It wasn't as GOOD as Standard, and yeah, every single human being in Synchro except Yugo, Jack and Enjoy are the Literal Worst, but I enjoyed it.

I did forget all of Ruka's duels because they barely existed and by the point they were happening the show had already finished Fortune Cup which was still the best part of 5Ds. The only Ruka duels I remember are the one where she is in monster land as Rua duels the Dark Signer no one remembers and the duel with Jack and Rua against Aporia in what was actually a pretty alright duel. Also Synchro fuckin sucked. It seemed like stuff was gonna start happening and then it kept dragging its feet, the only thing of worth that happened was Shun stomping a mud hole in Dennis, Enjoy, and Sergei. The constant duels with Shinji being the worst and trying to incite the crowd in a riot sucked, Crow getting the most annoying wins because he needs to be pushed forever sucked, going through every duel meticulously was bad, there's so much that the buildup at the start of the arc was not justified by. Jack is always good, but that is not a feather in the show's cap. No poo poo one of the best Yugioh characters is good.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Captain Baal posted:

I did forget all of Ruka's duels because they barely existed and by the point they were happening the show had already finished Fortune Cup which was still the best part of 5Ds. The only Ruka duels I remember are the one where she is in monster land as Rua duels the Dark Signer no one remembers and the duel with Jack and Rua against Aporia in what was actually a pretty alright duel. Also Synchro fuckin sucked. It seemed like stuff was gonna start happening and then it kept dragging its feet, the only thing of worth that happened was Shun stomping a mud hole in Dennis, Enjoy, and Sergei. The constant duels with Shinji being the worst and trying to incite the crowd in a riot sucked, Crow getting the most annoying wins because he needs to be pushed forever sucked, going through every duel meticulously was bad, there's so much that the buildup at the start of the arc was not justified by. Jack is always good, but that is not a feather in the show's cap. No poo poo one of the best Yugioh characters is good.

No they didn't. Ruka had a duel in the Fortune cup and it was the worst god drat duel in the series till probably something worse. She fought the psychologist guy, you don't remember because it was so awful your brain is literally protecting you.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I mean I remember that awful duel that happened in the second half of 5Ds where Yusei was basically dead to rights in a 1v3 lock and he only won because his opponents were complete morons. So that is clearly not the case.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Captain Baal posted:

I mean I remember that awful duel that happened in the second half of 5Ds where Yusei was basically dead to rights in a 1v3 lock and he only won because his opponents were complete morons. So that is clearly not the case.

It was literally over half a decade ago and I still remember my angsty teenage self screaming "END YOUR GODDAMN TURN JEAN"

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
That duel was better than the Dark Signers arc tbh.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Bitch, I will fight you

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Captain Baal posted:

Bitch, I will fight you

I'll take memes over characterization murder and seeing a show crumble due to outside influences mandating the destruction of every theme and storyline any day of the week.

Also, fansubber YOSHIDA (DMC3444 on twitter and other platformers) just told me in like four different ways that yeah, Leo is completely and entirely literal. The Dimensions Became One At The End. Millions dead??

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I won't because we got a really good duel between Jack and Carly that was paced well

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Hopeford posted:

It was literally over half a decade ago and I still remember my angsty teenage self screaming "END YOUR GODDAMN TURN JEAN"

Look, he had to trigger that obvious trap Yusei had set up because otherwise he'd be winning on a technicality and everyone would laugh at him (and also because Yusei would lose)

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yusei not being allowed to lose is seriously one of the worst parts of 5Ds and it's not even just a thing that permeates from the second half, because he was never allowed to lose in the first half either. I think he is the most untouchable protagonist in the series and it's seriously lame.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

remember in the gx manga when jaden had to learn to accept his loss and came back with the masked heroes

and then lost

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

We're back in the Hotel on Australian FTA and I can indeed confirm that Shinji is the dirt loving worst. They don't show him as being in the wrong either which is kinda bad when you're calling for open rebellion and immediately accuse your opponent of working with the enemy on questionable evidence at best.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Captain Baal posted:

I won't because we got a really good duel between Jack and Carly that was paced well

Jack is literally immune to any and all 5D's and Arc V criticism. Like. For real, no matter how bad the shows get, Jack always has entertaining and good things going for him. Crow's dumb bomber plot is going on to spin wheels until Yliaster can do stuff? JACK ATLAS eats a loving explosion to the face. Might've been the Jean duel or maybe Ragnarok, but there was one duel where JACK nearly loving died and what does he do? he pushes his bike to the pits so they can arbitrarily continue. Age of fillers before the last stretch of the story? JACK fights satan to get a power up. Yuya is being a pissbaby for the hundredth time and Shun just accepts that Yuto is gone forever? JACK will literally call Yuya out on his duel being pathetic. Inside a dub? JACK pulled out the power up out of nowhere just to keep up with Yusei and ended the show promising an orgy.

I think the DS arc is a sharp decline in 5D's that gets glossed over because what comes over is an outright drop in quality, but yeah, that is also when JACK gets his best storyline and grows in cool ways plus gets the most overt romance in the entire franchise. It's like he is such a good character to his very core that you cannot do wrong when writing him.

Testekill posted:

We're back in the Hotel on Australian FTA and I can indeed confirm that Shinji is the dirt loving worst. They don't show him as being in the wrong either which is kinda bad when you're calling for open rebellion and immediately accuse your opponent of working with the enemy on questionable evidence at best.

Don't worry, if you so choose to interpret, Leo confirming that the four dimensions became one can mean that Shinji (and everyone from Synchro besides Crow, Jack, Enjoy and 3 orphans) are Dead Forever.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Yugo was cool and he's dead

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Jack Atlas does indeed transcend the shows he's in, yes.

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Getter into the Future, Ryouma-Chan~
It's unreal how much Arc V squandered right up to its final moments, but, well, that's cardgamines for you. At least there were some nice moments along the way. Maybe Cardgames EXE will be better? Who knows.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Ruggington posted:

remember in the gx manga when jaden had to learn to accept his loss and came back with the masked heroes

and then lost

He also got owned so hard in the anime he lost his ability to see.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

CharlestheHammer posted:

He also got owned so hard in the anime he lost his ability to see.

And Kaiser/Zane got owned so hard by the same dude that he turned to BDSM card games to cope with it. Man early Ed/Aster Phoenix was great. Also why the hell did they rename him when Ed was already a perfectly normal English name?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Its too normal is what it is.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Maybe lip-flaps? They pronounce it "Ed-o" in the sub, I guess. Then again, not like 4Kids ever needs a reason to change something...

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
4Kids must have had something against the name Ed, one of the Gamecube One Piece fighters had Ward Newgate instead of Edward Newgate in the instruction manual.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

That final arc of the original YugiOh could've been so cool if they had the budget to actually animate it well. Monsters jumping around Egyptian throne rooms and tombs, flying around pillars, etc. The manga is really fun to read so I tried watching some of the adaption, and man, they just don't have any budget to move things at all. Too bad.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

There's only one proper way to watch the Arc-V finale.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Kay Kessler posted:

There's only one proper way to watch the Arc-V finale.

http://morningmoon.tumblr.com/post/158936593201/arc-v-tomato-subs-finale-1
http://morningmoon.tumblr.com/post/158936816786/arc-v-finale-tomato-subs-2
http://morningmoon.tumblr.com/post/158936966686/arc-v-tomato-subs-finale-3
http://morningmoon.tumblr.com/post/158937144661/arc-v-tomato-subs-finale-4-miscellaneous
http://morningmoon.tumblr.com/post/158937390156/arc-v-tomato-subs-finale-55

The Tomato Subs Help The Finale Make Sense.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I never realized how trash the early Yugioh cards were until I played Legacy of the Duelist. How can a card like Sword Slasher be a level 5 monster when it has 1450 attack and 1500 defense, it's just straight up trash.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Testekill posted:

I never realized how trash the early Yugioh cards were until I played Legacy of the Duelist. How can a card like Sword Slasher be a level 5 monster when it has 1450 attack and 1500 defense, it's just straight up trash.

It's just power-creep, I think. There's a whole bunch of old Normal monsters that were never printed in English, as far as I can tell just because they were worthless even when we first got the game.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
They should release those trash level 5 normal monsters as ultra rares

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

AlphaKretin posted:

It's just power-creep, I think. There's a whole bunch of old Normal monsters that were never printed in English, as far as I can tell just because they were worthless even when we first got the game.

Nah those cards were trash even in early Yu gi oh.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
I remember really liking the objectively terrible cards that had attack/defense points that were a little weird. Like one monster had an attack of 1610 or something and I was like "I love this thing."

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

AlphaKretin posted:

Summoned Skull already existed by that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The days when Summoned Skull was the super-powered card power-creeping the tribute summon meta.