Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
no, i expect them to hire someone else to do it who knows how

which tbf they're doing by making channel fireball the official coverage team, going by past broadcasts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Look folks, the demand exists, and it's not like there's an alternative for your attention or disposable income. So leave your standards at the door. :smug:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Look folks, the demand exists, and it's not like there's an alternative for your attention or disposable income. So leave your standards at the door. :smug:

I don't want Standard on my doorstep, that format is just awful. Can I just put it in the garbage?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Go Chris Pikula!

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!
I like drafting Aether Revolt-Kaladesh a lot. Today I noticed when buying packs that 2xAER + KLD is down to around 8 tickets. So now is a great time to buy some extras if you like the format.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Me watching WotC Coverage

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Retromancer posted:

Me watching WotC Coverage

baby joel larsson

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
So who won the GP?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Mezzanon posted:

So who won the GP?

joel larsson with a UB tempo deck that looked super good

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
they do outsource streaming to a 3rd party lol

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Mezzanon posted:

So who won the GP?

It's hosed up, but they retroactively awarded to Mardu Vehicles. I know, I know.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

clamiam45 posted:

It's hosed up, but they retroactively awarded to Mardu Vehicles. I know, I know.

I was hoping Chris Pikula on Mono-Emrakopter would take it.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Didn't see it mentioned here, though I may have missed it.

WotC have pushed back their big announcement day this year, from the end of this week, to a date to be announced in June. They say they have extra stuff to announce for Magics 25th and Mtgo's 15th anniversaries.
It's on the Mothership, but I'm phoneposting.
They'll be streaming the eveny from an LGS in Seattle.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
"the mothership"

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

so we won't even know what the next block is until HOD is already out?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

its me glenda posted:

so we won't even know what the next block is until HOD is already out?

They want to tease out the return to Dominaria until the summer.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

GoutPatrol posted:

They want to tease out the return to Dominaria until the summer.

They're waiting to announce that standard will be the only official tournament format for everything because they need to move more packs.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
Looks like spoilers already starting to come out.

Not sure what that weird background is about.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Full-art promos? :shrug:

I'm more curious about the "you may $keyword as $this attacks" templating. I don't think that's how they've written it previously?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Cycling is back! Please reprint Rest in Peace.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

Some real low quality leaks on reddit. These appear to be intro-pack planeswalkers though. Seems like -1/-1 counters will be a major theme.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Siivola posted:

Full-art promos? :shrug:

I'm more curious about the "you may $keyword as $this attacks" templating. I don't think that's how they've written it previously?

I'm guessing it doesn't untap next turn if you exert it.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

suicidesteve posted:

I've been wanting a keyword for "tap X it doesn't untap on your next untap step" for a long time and exert seems like it would fit.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

suicidesteve posted:

Other things it could be:
Sac at end of turn.
Put a -1/-1 counter on it.
Returns to your hand at end of combat.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

No untap next turn was my first guess too. I just would've expected them to write it as "Whenever Glorybringer attacks, you may exert it. If you do, etc."

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Glorybringer looks decent, depending on what Exert is.

Interesting that of the handful of cards we've seen there's been several "place counters" effects, given Aether Revolt had some pseduo-proliferate effects. That artifact looks abusable if there's a way to fix your draw, but I don't know if it could be better than Marvel.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Mar 27, 2017

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Siivola posted:

No untap next turn was my first guess too. I just would've expected them to write it as "Whenever Glorybringer attacks, you may exert it. If you do, etc."

If exert is tap & doesn't untap rather than just doesn't untap, then that wouldn't work, because when the trigger resolves it's already tapped so you can't exert it

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Barry Shitpeas posted:

If exert is tap & doesn't untap rather than just doesn't untap, then that wouldn't work, because when the trigger resolves it's already tapped so you can't exert it

I expect if it's this then it would only be attached to attacking and maybe tap abilities rather than having the tapping be part of the keyword.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Mezzanon posted:

So who won the GP?

Wasn't this event sponsored by SCG? How do you just not let them handle the streaming aspect? Ever if you want to use your own commentators fine, just let the people who run the Opens offscreen handle the stream. I feel like I couldn't be the only one to think logically about it?!

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

BizarroAzrael posted:

I expect if it's this then it would only be attached to attacking and maybe tap abilities rather than having the tapping be part of the keyword.

I think it doesn't make sense to keyword doesn't untap without the tap part. Remember Skyline Cascade, and how a lot of people assumed that it tapped the creature? If most of the time you're going to be including tapping, and the cases where you don't are confusing, it makes sense to just roll it in.

I think this will be like the colourless mana change, where we get oracle text changes to cards like Crippling Chill, but this block in particular uses it as a cost

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Cycling yessssssss

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I don't think "You may exert Glorybringer as it attacks" works any better if "exert" includes tapping.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
One notable difference is that you exert it when it attacks, and if you exert it you choose a target for the deal-damage triggered ability. If it was worded as "When Glorybringer attacks, you may exert it. If you do...", then you'd pick a target when attacking regardless, and then only choose whether or not to exert it when that triggered ability resolves.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

GonSmithe posted:

Cycling yessssssss

Hell yes

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Barry Shitpeas posted:

That's assuming an awful lot about a hypothetical ability to say it "can't" do something. If I were to write the wording for exert, it would be something like, "A permanent that is exerted becomes tapped and doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step." Exerting isn't the same as the tap action; nothing is the same as the tap action, it can only include tapping, not be it, if that makes sense. You can't choose to tap something that is untapped, but you can cast Rush of Ice on a creature that's already tapped, for example, and it'll just do as much as possible.

The "You may [action] creature as it attacks" wording is interesting, and I think it's going to make attack triggers easier for people. If this was worded as a triggered ability is these days, like "When ~ attacks, you may exert it. If you do..." then it does this weird thing where the trigger can happen and be on the stack targeting a creature, but the defending player can kill/bounce the Dragon... but the trigger still happens. This wording makes it more clear that you should take care of the Dragon before the declare attackers step, because once it turns sideways it's too late.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
When was the last time they did Cycling? Alara?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Cycling AND -1/-1 counters?!

This is already my favorite set in a long, long time.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I bet exert is like Monstrosity but with a single -1/-1 counter instead of some number of +1/+1 counters.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

Can't wait to confuse +1/+1 and -1/-1 counters in limited :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Willeh posted:

Can't wait to confuse +1/+1 and -1/-1 counters in limited :toot:

There probably won't be any +1/+1 counters in Amonkhet, for this specific reason.

• Locked thread