Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

TheKingofSprings posted:

You're a massive dumbass, please keep digging that hole

/
:Catgurl animetar say:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I can't wait to see adorable CGI Admiral Raddus and CGI Cassian Andor and CGI General Draven and CGI General Merrick next season

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Shbobdb posted:

/
:Catgurl Animetar say:

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Shbobdb posted:

/
:Catgurl animetar say:

TheKingofSprings posted:

You're a massive dumbass, please keep digging that hole

But in all seriousness:if you have nothing to contribute, just gently caress off.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

You can even hear the Ghost's lasers firing in a couple of those. I always thought it had a doofy sounding laser SFX. Its like a "t-choom" noise or something.

[edit] Oh and the Corvette exploding in the youtube thumbnail is painted in one of the same color schemes used in Rebels.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Mar 26, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well, I learned something with the latest episode to air in Australia; Whatever you do, do not gently caress with Hera's droid! :stare:

Huh. :suspense:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I wonder if Dodonna will have a larger role next season now that Sato is no more.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Not sure how you can't like Bendu Storm. One of the best things about the EU is they can get weird with some stuff but not worry about it as much as the main movies would because it's just one episode. Like that episode of Clone Wars with the droids and the tiny frog man wandering around those salt flats. Star Wars should be weird sometimes dammit.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Pops Mgee posted:

Not sure how you can't like Bendu Storm. One of the best things about the EU is they can get weird with some stuff but not worry about it as much as the main movies would because it's just one episode. Like that episode of Clone Wars with the droids and the tiny frog man wandering around those salt flats. Star Wars should be weird sometimes dammit.

You mean literally the worst episode?

Enjoyed the finale. Good to see Sabine is back.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
They previewed some concept art for next season

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

OctoberCountry posted:

They previewed some concept art for next season

Wow, Mace really upped his productivity.

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

Recoome posted:

Idk if you know but the name actually links back to the first ever Star Wars book, Splinter of the Mind's Eye (I have a copy)

Was spelt slightly differently

The name actually even predates that, in the early drafts of ANH the Kyber crystal was the main MacGuffin everyone was after.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Colonial Air Force posted:

You mean literally the worst episode?

Enjoyed the finale. Good to see Sabine is back.

Actually it was better than it should have been and brought back Rex so please see yourself out!!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Spoilers for finale

So does this mean that Thrawn will continue to be a major antagonist? Nothing really happened, he's not trapped on the planet. The failure to capture the fleet can have it's blame placed on the others.

Glad Kallus survived. I was certain he was headed for the tragic death (maybe still is). Looking forward to him and Zeb bro'ing it up a bit next season.

I can't remember a show that has grown this consistently in quality. So glad the whirly inquisitors are gone, and they're focusing on lining up with the main storyline.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Medullah posted:

Spoilers for finale

So does this mean that Thrawn will continue to be a major antagonist? Nothing really happened, he's not trapped on the planet. The failure to capture the fleet can have it's blame placed on the others.

I hope so, if only because he's been the best antagonist on the series thus far and his continued presence will make EU-hating goons irrationally angry. I wonder if we might see the Emperor now that the rebel cells are organizing and forming what will become the Alliance.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I started watching rebels after finishing the clone wars. On episode 6 so far. Really liking it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I liked that in Rebels Recon they mentioned getting great feedback about Thrawn from kids. That even though they may not understand him fully they can understand his actions based on animations and just the sound of his voice. They apparently spoke with Timothy Zahn on how this character works and even mentioned people should check out the Thrawn Trilogy. It's how I got seriously into all poo poo after picking up each book for 2 pound each when I was visiting England.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I hope so, if only because he's been the best antagonist on the series thus far and his continued presence will make EU-hating goons irrationally angry. I wonder if we might see the Emperor now that the rebel cells are organizing and forming what will become the Alliance.

I don't get people who hate the EU and watch Rebels as Rebels is literally the EU! It's like eating a plate of snack food when you aren't hungry and just going, with every bite, "oh, this is so awful! God, why am I eating this?" I don't like the idea of the super weapon of the week cycle the New Jedi Order books got stuck in so I don't read them. Doesn't mean they aren't dumb, most likely, and doesn't mean they don't have flaws, most likely, but it also doesn't involve me wasting my time consuming them and gettng mad over it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I liked the Bendu stuff. It actually felt very KOTOR 2-ish in that, no, the Force is actually neutral and the good/evil poo poo is just something the jedi/sith use as an excuse to fight each other constantly.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Wow, Mace really upped his productivity.

Maybe it's Ahsokas work!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Hakkesshu posted:

I liked the Bendu stuff. It actually felt very KOTOR 2-ish in that, no, the Force is actually neutral and the good/evil poo poo is just something the jedi/sith use as an excuse to fight each other constantly.

That's one of the theories about Episode 8, Luke has realized the Jedi failed because they were exclusively Light Side and by going either purely one or the other causes problems. The reason it's called The Last Jedi is that Luke will train Rey to be something other than a Jedi.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

one thing I liked about this season is that with Thrawn they have a villain that makes sense to keep around. After Rogue One a lot of people that start watching Rebels will see his scenes in season 2 and be all "how come these people are still alive? That's not my Darth Vader" and it's true, having Darth Vader around doesn't make a lot of sense. Thrawn has also been fairly well reigned in as far as the EU part of his character goes, we have a villain who is smart and seems to look at tracking the Ghost crew as a sort of game.

I wonder if in later seasons we may see him lose due to his own hubris since it appears that so far in every episode he has been featured in the only times he has "lost" an encounter is because of someone else. If Konstantine wasn't hungry for glory then Ezra may never have gotten an opening to get assistance, or there may have been greater losses for the Rebels before they were forced to ground. If there was ever an opportunity in the show to have flashbacks for any of the characters I would enjoy an episode that shows how Thrawn became a Grand Admiral before he joins the show. I mean, based off of how he conducts himself and others in the show it's pretty easy to come up with some ideas, but I still think something like that would be cool to see.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Thrawn pulling a very much Rommel look there on the last half. Great episodes overall/

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I just love that every Thrawn scene has Dracula music playing over it.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

twistedmentat posted:

That's one of the theories about Episode 8, Luke has realized the Jedi failed because they were exclusively Light Side and by going either purely one or the other causes problems. The reason it's called The Last Jedi is that Luke will train Rey to be something other than a Jedi.

God I hope not. I'm so sick of everything these day's having to be about how the good guys are just as bad as the villians and how taking a stand is a bad thing. I really liked it when Kanan called out the Bendu for being a coward who let evil happen to others so he could feel smug. The central pillar of Star Wars is the Jedi as these big mythological heroes. Whats the point to the story otherwise?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I mean, KOTOR 2 makes that exact critique of the Jedi themselves. :shrug:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

RC Cola posted:

I started watching rebels after finishing the clone wars. On episode 6 so far. Really liking it.

I wasn't a huge fan at first but the storytelling in the show has been excellent. The way they tie together all of the Star Wars that came before the show, successfully pulling in some elements of the EU, in a way that feels organic to the show is really impressive.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Mar 27, 2017

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

tadashi posted:

I wasn't a huge fan at first but the storytelling in the show has been excellent. The way they tie together all of the Star Wars that came before the show, even pulling in successfully pulling in some elements of the EU, in a way that feels organic to the show is really impressive.

Yeah I have to admit, I was skeptical of the Thrawn announcement at the start of this season, but they way they've handled the guy, and made his art-critic nonsense a bit more believable has been pretty cool.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
New plan. Finish rebels. Watch episodes 1 and 2. Then clone wars, then 3 then rebels. Rogue one then 4-7. Die because I haven't eaten in a few days.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

RC Cola posted:

New plan. Finish rebels. Watch episodes 1 and 2. Then clone wars, then 3 then rebels. Rogue one then 4-7. Die because I haven't eaten in a few days.

Pace yourself, man! You don't wanna burn out on Star Wars.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

galagazombie posted:

God I hope not. I'm so sick of everything these day's having to be about how the good guys are just as bad as the villians and how taking a stand is a bad thing. I really liked it when Kanan called out the Bendu for being a coward who let evil happen to others so he could feel smug. The central pillar of Star Wars is the Jedi as these big mythological heroes. Whats the point to the story otherwise?

Heroes tend to be very different from legend than when you meet them in person. The best ones tend to just be written as regular people who just got lucky or caused a story to get told that was exaggerated from fighting a few bandits to forty well-armed men. And a dog. Even Obi-Wan in A New Hope just carried himself like an old Samurai who'd seen to much poo poo.

Besides, the prequels, through atrocious writing, make a point of the Jedi getting too up their rear end about not detecting evil because they're far too high and mighty to the point it diminishes their ability to use the Force. They don't think like Sith, so they missed the signs until it was far too late to act. What you need for a real good Jedi is an utter bastard.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
And the theory isn't saying that Luke and Rey and future force users would be going around being like Synder Batman or something, it's more letting yourself open to more aspects to the force than just one.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

galagazombie posted:

I'm with you there, to a degree. I really didn't like Kreia's B.S. in KOTOR II for the same reason, even more so when I found out the behind-the-scenes reasons for the character.

I think a thing to remember, though, is that the prequels were trying to get across that the Jedi had lost their way. It isn't that being a Jedi is bad or that good and evil are the same or that smug inaction is good, it's that the Jedi became too obsessed with politics to the extent they allowed themselves to become soldiers and were too distant from the population that they knew little of the actual concerns of people. The Jedi were, after all, extremely privileged under the Republic with political leniency (they had their own courts and were protected from normal prosecution, unless the council waived it), currency (most of the galaxy lives in poverty while they lived in luxury: yes, they had a charitable works core/humanitarian efforts core, but they had forgotten the monk lifestyle to a degree), and political power (the previous chancellor often trusted their advice above all others and this was implied not to be uncommon). Their very system of recruitment was designed to ensure members knew little to nothing of the struggles of the common man and it showed.

Hell, they even refused to hunt down the Sith after Darth Maul attacked and killed Qui Gon Jin because they were arrogant and couldn't believe the sith could operate under their nose. They became soldiers in a war where millions of individuals were being bred and sent to slaughter with no choice in the matter without speaking out.

They had lost their way and had become an upper class that preserved a corrupt status quo.

It isn't that good and bad are the same, it's that the Jedi needed to rediscover themselves, which is what Luke's journey and, presumably, what Luke and Rey's journey will be as well. Even if they end up renaming themselves (considering the newest movie will be called he Last JedI), they needed to be reborn in fire to return to their roots. It's what Qui Gon Jin was pointing out, it's what Ashoka was pointing out, it's what Yoda and Obi-Wan to a degree realized over their exile: the Jedi needed to be reborn.

I think even George Lucas in an interview somewhere wanted people to take that away from the Prequels: that the Jedi could only be so effectively conquered if they had already allowed themselves to be corrupted and weakened from within.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
One of the later EU books, following the Prequels release, had one of the New Jedi remarking that because the Jedi forbade love and other basic emotions that tied them to the people they were supposed to be protecting, it weakened them by making them an elite class that believed that they were working for the greater good but without that connection to people, either through family or romantic partners, they has no real connections.

I wonder if season 4 is going to be based out of Yavin, with the Ghost Crew being more into recruiting than earlier seasons. The Star Wars Explained guy mentioned how he expects to see Cassian and K-2s0 in season 4, but I'd also expect to see Krennick, Madine, Akbar and other characters we saw from the original trilogy. Though I've seen some people speculate about Han Solo, but A) There's a movie that's going to detail his early life and B) it was pretty clear he stayed far away from the conflict. I've also seen other popular EU characters being tossed around in theories, like Mara Jade, Talon Karrde, Corran Horne, and of course Kyle and Dash. Mara seems way too much of a long shot, because her role was basically the Inquisitors role.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I'd love to see Talon show up in place of Hondo. I'd also expect to see Garm Bel Iblis since a) he's usually mentioned as a founding Rebellion member and b) it gives the show a way to introduce Corellia without shoehorning Han into the show.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What you need for a real good Jedi is an utter bastard.

It's part of why I'm kind of sad Kanaan became a fairly standard Jedi mentor character so quickly. I was really looking forward to seeing what was I suppose a mix of Han and Luke, a Jedi that was also a bit of a scoundrel. Someone who'd do the right thing, but would do it somewhat reluctantly and with a bit of a greedy or dickish streak. And just someone who saw merit in using a gun as often as a sword really.

Covok posted:

I'm with you there, to a degree. I really didn't like Kreia's B.S. in KOTOR II for the same reason, even more so when I found out the behind-the-scenes reasons for the character.

What was the behind-the-scenes the scenes reason out of interest? Not that I ever played KOTOR II to he familiar with her, but still curious since I've heard a bit about her and remember enjoying KOTOR I.

Covok
May 27, 2013

tsob posted:

What was the behind-the-scenes the scenes reason out of interest? Not that I ever played KOTOR II to he familiar with her, but still curious since I've heard a bit about her and remember enjoying KOTOR I.

From what I heard, one of the game's lead writers preferred harder science fiction and didn't really like the fantasy and objective morality aspects of Star Wars. When his company picked up the project of doing a sequel to KOTOR I, he decided to subvert and have a character mock those elements as a criticism of Star Wars and its writing. At least, that's how I heard it.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Covok posted:

From what I heard, one of the game's lead writers preferred harder science fiction and didn't really like the fantasy and objective morality aspects of Star Wars. When his company picked up the project of doing a sequel to KOTOR I, he decided to subvert and have a character mock those elements as a criticism of Star Wars and its writing. At least, that's how I heard it.

To be honest, the writing in Kotor I was fairly shallow and simple in my opinion. Kotor II is much more complex on all levels, for good and bad.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Angry Lobster posted:

To be honest, the writing in Kotor I was fairly shallow and simple in my opinion. Kotor II is much more complex on all levels, for good and bad.

From my understanding, it was more Star Wars' writing in general, not just KOTOR I.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
How long until Season 4?

• Locked thread