Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Looke
Aug 2, 2013

was waiting for him to relate supervolcanoes to hitler

edit:27 Mar 1871
The first international rugby match takes place, between Scotland and England. Scotland win. :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
"And at the bottom of the supervolcano...is Hitler's lair!"

e:f,b

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

vodkat posted:

considering the comments here it wasn't as bad as i thought it would be

thats not really saying much tho

Well I was seeing this

instead of some leery life-ruining-more-than-it-already-is bullshit

From a distance the other one looks like the Sun complaining encryption is stopping them from getting nudes I don't need to type anything here

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-39399390

The BBC posted:

PM says Brexit will make UK 'more united'

:ironicat:

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I think May is just going to skip NI on her Brexit tour unless she pops over tomorrow

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
should i be concerned that my balls are a bit distended?

Edit: lol holy poo poo I should not leave myself logged in.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Mar 27, 2017

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

United in being totally hosed, it's true.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Yorkshire Tea posted:

should i be concerned that my balls are a bit distended?
Nah that's just Brexit Nut, it'll clear itself up.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

vodkat posted:

considering the comments here it wasn't as bad as i thought it would be
VILE WhatsApp have repeatedly refused MI5 pleas to change mathematics. "All they'd have to do is change the numbers so they don't add up and we'd win at terror" said government spokesman Christian Goodbloke-Notfash.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

New thread motto.

https://twitter.com/juliamacfarlane/status/846352089349525506

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

VILE WhatsApp have repeatedly refused MI5 pleas to change mathematics. "All they'd have to do is change the numbers so they don't add up and we'd win at terror" said government spokesman Christian Goodbloke-Notfash.

It would actually be trivial for Whatsapp to make it easy for intelligence agencies to break their encryption. It would also be entirely pointless, for all sorts of reasons.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It would actually be trivial for Whatsapp to make it easy for intelligence agencies to break their encryption. It would also be entirely pointless, for all sorts of reasons.

there was a former MoD person on radio 4 this morning saying that the intelligence community don't care about greater powers because they've got what they want and need and it would just allow Russia to break in

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Is this really true? Aren't comets/meteoroids/whatever actually fairly close?

Astronomy chat ITT

e: meteoroid not meteor I guess, either way it's like, few hundred/thousand kilometres away.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Mar 27, 2017

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Comets and meteorites are not stars.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Dead Goon posted:

Comets and meteorites are not stars.

Yeah but, shooting stars are. (meteoroids that is)

Plus I don't think most stars we can see are already dead, either. As per:

quote:

Are the stars we see already dead?

Is the night sky full of ghosts?

No. But.

Everything in Astronomy is huge, like the unfathomable depths of the ocean. Our brains are not built to understand Astronomy. The Sun is big. Saturn is far away. The space is cold? Galaxies are big. It is quite like asking you to think about the concept of infinity. You can learn how to operate with it, but you will never understand it.

“The light from those millions of stars you see is probably many thousands of years old” is a rare example of laypeople substantially OVERestimating astronomical numbers.

Yet we believe the stars are further away than they really are. If you ask an average person about the distance to the stars, you will hear things like “millions of light-years away”, “thousands of light-years away”. In fact the stars in our sky are much closer, some as close as just a handful of light-years away. Not like we could understand what a distance of even one light-year means anyway, but the difference matters, and you will see why in a moment.

Thoroughly unsatisfying tweet really.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Trivial in a way that doesn't make it easier for other parties to break their encryption?

Where other parties include, for example, intelligence agencies which aren't the good ones (us)?

Could they make it trivial for Russian intelligence agencies to break it but only for Russian users, French intelligence agencies for French users, British jobs for Brit etc.?

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Private Speech posted:

Astronomy chat ITT

e: meteoroid not meteor I guess, either way it's like, few hundred/thousand kilometres away.

Nah I don't think it's really true. Stars can last billions of years and stars at the least those within our galaxy are only a few thousand or or tens of thousands of light years away.

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

What if it was possible for WhatsApp to break the encryption on behalf of the police if there was a genuine reason for seeing a specific person's recent conversation, as there arguably is now. Is it technically feasible to design it so it works that way? (I have no idea).

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Private Speech posted:

Yeah but, shooting stars are. (meteoroids that is)

Meteoroids are meteoroids, shooting stars are what stupid people call meteoroids.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Paxman posted:

What if it was possible for WhatsApp to break the encryption on behalf of the police if there was a genuine reason for seeing a specific person's recent conversation, as there arguably is now. Is it technically feasible to design it so it works that way? (I have no idea).

That's not how encryption works. If encryption can be broken by anyone, it can be broken by anyone else.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Dead Goon posted:

Meteoroids are meteoroids, shooting stars are what stupid people call meteoroids.

They are also the things people wish upon.

Either way the stars aren't dead, either.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Paxman posted:

It is possible to have encryption where there is a central key that can open any and all encrypted content for the service and a separate (legal, not mathematical) structure where the company will only do so on receipt of a valid warrant from a judge.

That's not true end-to-end encryption though, and shouldn't be sold as such. It also makes the system as a whole more vulnerable to hacking, in addition to all the normal motives of greed, politics, espionage, revenge, etc. that could cause someone with access to it to skip around the warrant bit.

Unless we authenticate all judges by RFID in their wigs or something, it's impossible to make a system that can tell the difference between a legal request and someone deciding to abuse the system.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Paxman posted:

Think of encryption as a key to open your front door. Now imagine that the police has a special key that can open anyone's door. Can you see what would happen when (not if) someone else figures out how to make such a key?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Don't Lol me posted:

TBF, they don't do any other front page nowadays.
Given the headline is about whatsapp and only 29% of their readership is under 34, I'm guessing most readers are going "whatsapp? something that bugs bunny said?" or shaking their head saying "the internet ought to be banned, we had a fireplace to stare at with a book and that was all I needed."

Aren't 29% of ppl under 34

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

I'm very concerned about the possibility of children exchanging hashtags through the whats apps.

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out

Breath Ray posted:

Aren't 29% of ppl under 34

Something like 44% according to wikipedia's summary of the 2011 census. If you exclude people under 15 (who aren't buying papers) then under 34 makes 32% of the remaining population?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Incy posted:

Something like 44% according to wikipedia's summary of the 2011 census. If you exclude people under 15 (who aren't buying papers) then under 34 makes 32% of the remaining population?

Thanks for the research :) That's quite a lot for an ageing society! Brexit will push up the average age though.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Breath Ray posted:

Thanks for the research :) That's quite a lot for an ageing society
We're not really an aging society, look to Europe for that.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

jBrereton posted:

We're not really an aging society, look to Europe for that.

Well yeah we keep sending them all our pensioners

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Someone made a documentary about us!

The Internet Warriors: Meet The Trolls In Their Homes

it's about right-wing crazies, but still

e: it's really kinda sad to watch, I'd like to think the forums are better than that

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 27, 2017

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Nah I don't think it's really true. Stars can last billions of years and stars at the least those within our galaxy are only a few thousand or or tens of thousands of light years away.

It would be amusingly likely to be true of intelligent signals though (if we ever received any), given that civilisations last a few millenia at best, and based on our own experience only stay radio active for a couple of centuries.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Trivial in a way that doesn't make it easier for other parties to break their encryption?

Where other parties include, for example, intelligence agencies which aren't the good ones (us)?

Could they make it trivial for Russian intelligence agencies to break it but only for Russian users, French intelligence agencies for French users, British jobs for Brit etc.?

In theory, yes. In practice, not without massive, massive problems.

Paxman posted:

Yes, but not without completely redesigning the way the service works and both completely breaking their security model and incurring gigantic infrastructure costs, because at that point they're just running an email service with slightly peculiar addressing.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Renaissance Robot posted:

It would be amusingly likely to be true of intelligent signals though (if we ever received any), given that civilisations last a few millenia at best, and based on our own experience only stay radio active for a couple of centuries.

I'm fairly certain once the bombs drop we'll be radioactive for quite a bit longer.

Actually - if we were to nuke ourselves tomorrow, what sort of scale would it be detectable at to alien observers? Would they have to be specifically watching us, or would it be much more obvious?

Strom Cuzewon fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Mar 27, 2017

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

baka kaba posted:

Well yeah we keep sending them all our pensioners

And taking all their young people!

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Private Speech posted:

Someone made a documentary about us!

The Internet Warriors: Meet The Trolls In Their Homes

it's about right-wing crazies, but still

e: it's really kinda sad to watch, I'd like to think the forums are better than that

Explains why Pissflaps is so angry all the time though, the amount of time and effort he has to spend on getting those visas for his wife.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Actually - if we were to nuke ourselves tomorrow, what sort of scale would it be detectable at to alien observers? Would they have to be specifically watching us, or would it be much more obvious?
It'd be barely noticeable to deep ocean life for a long while, we're really just a biofilm on the surface of this rock. The kind that cosmic dentists advise removing periodically before they start making holes.

If you had sensitive enough radio equipment and were in the local neighborhood you'd probably pick up a few clicks though, and you could probably pick up the gamma rays from a long way away if you happened to be watching, or the atmospheric changes could be observed as we do with exoplanets.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Encryption ban is gonna be fun. Don't use maths citizens! You may inadvertently help isis when loving around with long division!

Private Speech posted:

Astronomy chat ITT

It's one of those QI style "facts" that isn't really quite there at all.

On a really clear night in a dark area when you look around you will be able to see a few thousand stars with your naked eyes. Out of those thousands, perhaps one or two might well be dead. Betelgeuse, the bright red star on orion's shoulder is about due to blow any time (within the next hundred thousand years maybe) and its about 6 or 700 light years away. Others are further away and even dodgier. It's all playing the odds, but any stars you see naked eye are within a few thousand light years, so almost all of them are probably still there, because they aren't that far away relatively, and that doesn't give a long timespan for them to have died compared with life expectancy.

If you start loving around with binoculars or a small telescope, suddenly you see a fuckton more, and you knock up your odds a lot. Any comets or meteors you can look at are going to be within our own system with a light distance measured in a few hours max. That poo poo's almost definitely still there.

Now if you are lucky enough to be super dark on a really good night, you can see other nearby galaxies with your naked (sexy) eyes as bright splotches. When you look at one of those, given that the brightest stars in them shine the shortest, and the distances involved, you can be certain to be looking at some dead stars- andromeda is about 2 million light years ago/away and its populated with billions of massive, shortlived stars.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

ookiimarukochan posted:

Explains why Pissflaps is so angry all the time though, the amount of time and effort he has to spend on getting those visas for his wife.

Reminds me of that guy who went to the US to be with his wife but doesn't like Mexicans and supports Trump and Brexit. Or that one American who complained here about "people not following the right routes" after having gone through a ton of hassle to live in the UK with his British wife (yeah I know he's not the only one in that position who posts in this thread).

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/ditzkoff/status...%3D3130%23pti22

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Private Speech posted:

Reminds me of that guy who went to the US to be with his wife but doesn't like Mexicans and supports Trump and Brexit. Or that one American who complained here about "people not following the right routes" after having gone through a ton of hassle to live in the UK with his British wife (yeah I know he's not the only one in that position who posts in this thread).

to be fair if you support trump and hate mexicans it's quite a good time to have moved to the US.

• Locked thread