Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

A Bad Poster posted:

Apparently Canada is getting ready to announce that they're going to legalized weed. Have fun with that DEA and Border Patrol.

Full legalization or just medical?. Either way good on em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

A Bad Poster posted:

Apparently Canada is getting ready to announce that they're going to legalized weed. Have fun with that DEA and Border Patrol.

ty prime minister

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

KildarX posted:

Full legalization or just medical?. Either way good on em.

Full legalization, it's thorny because they will have to denounce several international narcotics treaties that they are a signatory to in order to go full legal at a national level.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

redneck nazgul posted:

I need the valuation of Rosneft in pieces of silver. :stare:

More than 30.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

A Bad Poster posted:

Now we have to pay for two walls.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

A Bad Poster posted:

Hey Christie I found your solution to the opiate problem

oh wait you're a massive piece of poo poo nevermind

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

redneck nazgul posted:

I need the valuation of Rosneft in pieces of silver. :stare:
It costs about $2000 for a piece of silver of the appropriate period, so 30 pieces of silver would cost about $60,000 today.

Ardlen fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Mar 27, 2017

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

A Bad Poster posted:

:supaburn:

I bet it comes out over priced as hell and people still end up buying from their dealers (I get an awesome deal from my buddy so I doubt I will use dispenseries )

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Brb moving to Canada.

How does Canada work? Do they have states' rights or something similar? Or just one governing body?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

TBeats posted:

Brb moving to Canada.

How does Canada work? Do they have states' rights or something similar? Or just one governing body?

Roughly? Similar federalist system, provinces have jurisdiction over some areas, the feds over others, with concurrent jurisdiction with the provinces and the feds on numerous areas as well. But paramountcy is a principle akin to the supremacy clause and the way Canada's constitution is set up means that the feds have sole jurisdiction over non-enumerated areas, whereas in the states it is the reverse.

Other than that, substitute a lower tax burden for a higher one, a stronger currency for a shittier one, horrible healthcare for fantastic healthcare, strong institutional intelligence agencies with anemic ones, and a nonfunctioning government with a functioning one. Among other things.

Other than that relatively similar.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

The Iron Rose posted:

Roughly? Similar federalist system, provinces have jurisdiction over some areas, the feds over others, with concurrent jurisdiction with the provinces and the feds on numerous areas as well. But paramountcy is a principle akin to the supremacy clause and the way Canada's constitution is set up means that the feds have sole jurisdiction over non-enumerated areas, whereas in the states it is the reverse.

Other than that, substitute a lower tax burden for a higher one, a stronger currency for a shittier one, horrible healthcare for fantastic healthcare, strong institutional intelligence agencies with anemic ones, and a nonfunctioning government with a functioning one. Among other things.

I'd say more "Horribly Inept and Overpowered Intelligence Agencies" rather than "Strong Institutional Intelligence Agencies"

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

Not only is Jared Kushner going to achieve peace in the Middle East, he's also going to chair a commission on how to fix government.

..... and he's saying dumb stuff like this:

https://twitter.com/nktpnd/status/846183459970322432

Haha Kushner sounds like hes going to be running those bland corporation-style boardrooms where a senior executive tells a bunch of mid-level managers how the company needs more "synergy" and "internal growth". Difference being he'll be using those corporate buzz-words while discussing the best ways to gently caress over poor-people.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Haha Kushner sounds like hes going to be running those bland corporation-style boardrooms where a senior executive tells a bunch of mid-level managers how the company needs more "synergy" and "internal growth". Difference being he'll be using those corporate buzz-words while discussing the best ways to gently caress over poor-people.

The best part is: Kushner has never run or been near a 'Great American Company' other than 'The New York Observer', and even then he nearly bombed it.

Fucker was making $10 Million in college selling real estate. Common man my rear end.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Mar 27, 2017

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

CommieGIR posted:

I'd say more "Horribly Inept and Overpowered Intelligence Agencies" rather than "Strong Institutional Intelligence Agencies"

Sure that works too, but I really just wanted to get in a dig at CSIS since Canada essentially didn't do foreign intelligence till after 9/11. It was all Quebec all the time.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

TBeats posted:

Brb moving to Canada.

Canada doesn't really take unskilled immigrants either, unless you're a refuge, so good luck immigrating unless you got a degree (a useful one).

Edit: legalization won't happen till NEXT Canada Day (July 1st 2018)

Guess I better provide a link as well: http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/politics/liberal-legal-marijuana-pot-1.4041902

Hot Karl Marx fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Mar 27, 2017

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The first headline right here.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Canada doesn't really take unskilled immigrants either, unless you're a refuge, so good luck immigrating unless you got a degree (a useful one).

Edit: legalization won't happen till NEXT Canada Day (July 1st 2018)

I'll have my accounting degree by then :smug:

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

cowboy elvis posted:

The first headline right here.

I'm sort of getting my hopes up, but it really sorta seems that the Senate Intel Committee is actually being run properly and they're not anywhere near as compromised as the House committee.

We'll really know the situation during their first public hearing. On the House side, that's when it became obvious that the Republicans were just spouting Donnie's talking points and calling it a day.

Edit: more info about the Kushner thing, apparently this dude from the Russian bank that Kushner met was part of a bank that Obama sanctioned and the bank was well-known for bailing out oligarchs that were favorable to putin. Meeting was unknown until now.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Mar 27, 2017

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Canada announced last year around 4/20 that it would be legalized (or at least that they'd start legislation) within a year, so it's about time and not a surprise.

I saw a couple of articles about how Colorado lawmakers are planning to avoid the DEA crackdown, but the feds are already here and have been knocking over dispendaries regularly as it stands, starting off with claims of trafficking across state lines because customers are doing leaving the state with their weed still in the bottle they bought it in, with the dispensary info all over it.

And the post office is finally cracking down on larger traffickers. There was a big bust last week of a guy shipping hundreds of pounds of weed through USPS, though they got caught because one of their package receivers pulled a gun on a mailman holding two packages of weed.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/ForeignPolicy/status/846340535547805696

I read somewhere that the KSA launched over 90 000 airstrikes or sorties (I forget which, I'm not great on airforce nomenclature) since they started 2 years ago.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The Liberals also promised electoral reform, sent out a survey, commissioned a report and then said math was too hard for Middle Class Canadian Voters, better keep things as they are. :canada:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

Canada announced last year around 4/20 that it would be legalized (or at least that they'd start legislation) within a year, so it's about time and not a surprise.

I saw a couple of articles about how Colorado lawmakers are planning to avoid the DEA crackdown, but the feds are already here and have been knocking over dispendaries regularly as it stands, starting off with claims of trafficking across state lines because customers are doing leaving the state with their weed still in the bottle they bought it in, with the dispensary info all over it.

And the post office is finally cracking down on larger traffickers. There was a big bust last week of a guy shipping hundreds of pounds of weed through USPS, though they got caught because one of their package receivers pulled a gun on a mailman holding two packages of weed.

Yeah, but Colorado is not going to let it go, they made bank off the Pot Tax last year, and the dispensaries are becoming big investors, Sessions may talk tough, but the money is already in place where the DEA/Sessions may have a hard time knocking it down.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Hot Karl Marx posted:

https://twitter.com/ForeignPolicy/status/846340535547805696

I read somewhere that the KSA launched over 90 000 airstrikes or sorties (I forget which, I'm not great on airforce nomenclature) since they started 2 years ago.

Saudi Arabia didn't get bombs fast enough under Barry :qq:

quote:

Indeed, under Obama, the United States sold $115.3 billion worth of weapons and services to Saudi Arabia through August 2016. In mid-December, after Trump was elected, Secretary of State John Kerry, standing next to Saudi Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir, even decried the pace of weapons sales, noting they “can be much lengthier than I like or certainly than the buying country likes, and I wish we could find a way to really accelerate it and speed it up more. As the foreign minister knows, I’ve worked very hard to accelerate it and try to move it forward. … [O]ne of my recommendations to the next administration will be that we try to find a way in our laws to accelerate it.” Kerry’s recommendation has been heard, as the Trump administration has reportedly decided to approve one $1.5 billion weapon sale that had been delayed by Obama.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, but Colorado is not going to let it go, they made bank off the Pot Tax last year, and the dispensaries are becoming big investors, Sessions may talk tough, but the money is already in place where the DEA/Sessions may have a hard time knocking it down.

If the feds really do ramp up, they're going to get sued by Colorado and Washington at the very least. There is enough money involved now that the states themselves are going to step in.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
lol spicey, just lol

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/846354340117991424

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Illinois is talking about legalizing weed. This comes up every year it seems. There appears to be some more lip service paid to it from the governor this time around, though.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Some states are actually supporting it then others like Massachusetts are doing everything they can to get out of the results

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mr. Nice! posted:

If the feds really do ramp up, they're going to get sued by Colorado and Washington at the very least. There is enough money involved now that the states themselves are going to step in.

At this point, the dispensaries and growers are bringing in nearly Oil State money. Even the more evangelical among Colorado's legislators are not letting that money go.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 27, 2017

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

CommieGIR posted:

At this point, the dispensaries and growers are bringing in nearly Oil State money. Even the more evangelical among Colorado's legislators are not letting that money go.

Wasn't it something ridiculous like $3 billion in tax revenue the first year? No way any state is going to let that go once it starts getting it.

Edit: Looks like it was more like $1 billion last year, but that's still a big chunk of their budget.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Please continue with potchat, but in the meantime, Nunes is a loving snake.

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/846364396095967232

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/846368153089298432

And it looks like God told Michele Bachmann to steal about $1.7m from her old campaign account.

https://twitter.com/levinecarrie/status/846352864830259204

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Someone give me a brief rundown of why Nunes is bad because I haven't been paying attention in the last few weeks

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Nunes is House Chair on Intelligence, appears to be hoarding some sort of intel coming from the White House that he refuses to share with the rest of the Intelligence Committee, and seems to be covering for the White House. He's also partners with a winery with ties to Putin.

All other things being equal, the Chairman of Intelligence shouldn't be seen to be colluding with the very people the Committee is investigating.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

TBeats posted:

Someone give me a brief rundown of why Nunes is bad because I haven't been paying attention in the last few weeks

He claimed to have secret info about the investigation. He told the White House (ie the ones being investigated) and held a press conference before he told the rest of the investigation panel, and has so far refused to show them the information

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Oh. Well then...

All I can say is "lol"

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Nunes is just trying to protect his leaker source, Ronald Frump.

https://twitter.com/AliWatkins/status/846373606368120832

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

The Iron Rose posted:

Also our Netflix sucks, and our cell phone plans are ridiculously overpriced.

Other than that it's pretty deece. We got rights and legal protections and poo poo.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
I might die in the streets from starvation and lack of health care, but I'll die streaming Netflix

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

https://twitter.com/AP_Politics/status/846379382977581057

quote:

It was not immediately clear when or how the Senate questioning would take place or whether Kushner would be under oath.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

FrozenVent posted:

Other than that it's pretty deece. We got rights and legal protections and poo poo.

Also Quebec chicks like holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

FrozenVent posted:

The Netflix thing is getting better, you can watch HBO on the road now if you have a tv subscription as well. It's more Rogers and Bell being assholes. Rogers also doesn't hire union so they're even bigger dicks

• Locked thread