Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

MMF Freeway posted:

Endgame question: In the library there are status of all the bosses. do those actually correspond to how well you did in the fights in true Platinum fashion?

No it's just a reference to the first Nier as far as I can tell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

MMF Freeway posted:

I got ending E with like 65% and I'm kind of at a loss as to where to look. Do any weapons come from sidequests?

A bunch are hidden in sneaky places within the world, two of them are found with the scanner (one of which is in a completely nondescript area in the desert), some are in one of the traveling merchant's rotating loadouts, and a couple more are a bit more roundabout. Honestly just look up the weapons page on the fextralife Automata wiki if you want to go for it.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

MMF Freeway posted:

I got ending E with like 65% weapons and I'm kind of at a loss as to where to look. Do any weapons come from sidequests?

yes. one comes from fishing in the sewers, a bunch of them are in altars around the world, some are in locked chests that 9S can open.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

redreader posted:

That's why I braved the goon ridicule squad in order to make sure it didn't happen to another goon at least.
Oh, sorry, i didn't mean to come off as mocking you personally, i was more perplexed that the game had actually allowed to let anyone build habits like that for that long, that's more forgiving than i anticipated. The hidden ending save thing also caught me a few times and wiped my last 10-15 minutes of loving around (looking at you, [V]), so i totally empathize and wish they had handled it better/more consistently.

Cymbal Monkey posted:

I'm curious, did anyone have any boss fights that they got really into/rate highly? I can't really think of any super memorable fights.
On hard, all main routes, in a sort-of-descending order: (all played as 2B since 9S skips or entirely trivializes them)
Boku-Shi in front of the resistance camp in A (probably the most intense fight in the entire game for me)
Factory Ball boss
Desert Adam and Copied City Adam
Basically the entire Eve [A] ending sequence due to its variance and visual spectacle.
Hegel and the frantic Ko/Ro shi gauntlet sequence before the A2/9S choice on C
Simone (you know which attack), A2 in the castle
Honorable Mention: YorHa Betrayers

Bosses i thought i would like way more but didn't: 21B, Auguste, Grün, Tutorial Engels, Pascal vs Engels, Red Girl, 9S or A2 in [C] ending (although 9S hacking you is kind of fun), Adam in the alien ship
Bosses i thought were awfully tedious except when entirely trivialized by hacking: Emil, Bunny fight, Golden challenge enemies, Optional Tanks, last Servo quests

Haven't done Ultimate Desert Emil yet

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Mar 27, 2017

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I got a weapon from one of the resource towers, because I did a certain percent of sidequests for the androids, I htink it was? Did the other two towers have something like that?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

SHISHKABOB posted:

I got a weapon from one of the resource towers, because I did a certain percent of sidequests for the androids, I htink it was? Did the other two towers have something like that?

I think I got one for doing a lot of hacking. It was the Faith short sword iirc

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

MMF Freeway posted:

Yeah that's the one I got. I don't really remember what the game said when I got it.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Just what are the pods? 042 and 153 are notably unaffected by virus infection, most other Yorha don't have them, and they get their own arc where they gain free will and break the fourth wall. They also have some kind of network of their own.

Is it basically implied that the pods are what are responsible for project yorha?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Fangz posted:

Just what are the pods? 042 and 153 are notably unaffected by virus infection, most other Yorha don't have them, and they get their own arc where they gain free will and break the fourth wall. They also have some kind of network of their own.

Is it basically implied that the pods are what are responsible for project yorha?

I guess they're like overseers of the project? Not responsible but the non-disposable staff helping execute it. I'm confused about their role since they're so finite (they claim there's only 6) so why did 2B and 9S specifically get partnered with them.

You could make the point that they're the ones guiding you throughout the game most of the time and telling you what to do

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
Something just occurred to me (endgame stuff):

We know that the Commander gets her orders from an unseen android authority--whoever they actually are--and the archives you get about YoRHa and the Black Boxes explicitly say that their contents should not be divulged to anyone in YoRHa, including the Commander. That makes me think the real reason 2B is assigned to kill 9S every time he uncovers the truth about humanity is not, as 2B and the Commander presumably believe, to keep that information from leaking out, but actually to stop him from digging even further, discovering the backdoor, and revealing it to the Commander.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

MMF Freeway posted:

I got that one for killing so many machines so the game probably just picks a reason to give it to you regardless.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Opposing Farce posted:

Something just occurred to me (endgame stuff):

We know that the Commander gets her orders from an unseen android authority--whoever they actually are--and the archives you get about YoRHa and the Black Boxes explicitly say that their contents should not be divulged to anyone in YoRHa, including the Commander. That makes me think the real reason 2B is assigned to kill 9S every time he uncovers the truth about humanity is not, as 2B and the Commander presumably believe, to keep that information from leaking out, but actually to stop him from digging even further, discovering the backdoor, and revealing it to the Commander.

I was actually a little confused about who all is aware of each layer of the conspiracy, let alone what layers of conspiracy are actually layers, vs things which are implied:

- YoRHa is fighting on earth for the humans on the moon.
- The humans on the moon are dead but YoRHa is fighting to kill all the machines for their own sake/to prep the surface for newly-created humans using stored gene data
- YoRHa androids individually are intentionally created to be destroyed to prevent the "extinct human" thing from getting out
- YoRHa itself is destroyed occasionally to prevent the "extinct human" thing from getting out

And possibly:
- YoRHa itself is just a thing that the machines keep around to spur themselves into evolutionary leaps by presenting themselves with challenges

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

It's important to remember that YoRHa is new, not cyclical. The project is a one-time deathblow to quell any chances of the human truth from leaking since any personnel except the moonbase staff who know will die.

Note that Commander actually isn't YoRHa so it's highly likely most inconvenient non-YoRHa staff were assigned on Bunker just to die

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Instant Grat posted:

A bunch are hidden in sneaky places within the world, two of them are found with the scanner (one of which is in a completely nondescript area in the desert), some are in one of the traveling merchant's rotating loadouts, and a couple more are a bit more roundabout. Honestly just look up the weapons page on the fextralife Automata wiki if you want to go for it.

I found the Phoenix spear completely by accident in the desert while doing the ancient artifact guy quest and was actually kind or irritated about how obtuse that is to find

I don't think the spawns are random though, so hopefully some guides can help with poo poo like that.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Nina posted:

It's important to remember that YoRHa is new, not cyclical. The project is a one-time deathblow to quell any chances of the human truth from leaking since any personnel except the moonbase staff who know will die.

Not in a doubting way, but what precisely suggests this is true, rather than it basically being functionally so because in the intended ending of a cycle, none of YoRHa would know that they're restarting from square 1 and be aware of said cycle? A lot of incidental stuff and info suggests YoRHa is part of the cycle, not fresh to it.

Romes128 posted:

I found the Phoenix spear completely by accident in the desert while doing the ancient artifact guy quest and was actually kind or irritated about how obtuse that is to find

I don't think the spawns are random though, so hopefully some guides can help with poo poo like that.

Phoenix Spear is always in the same place and that place is near a chest and a side-quest scanning objective so it's completely and totally hidden, but it's hidden in a way that you will probably "luckily" find it, due to its convinient location. Same goes for that boy Caim's old Sword, his BFF that isn't a dragon, Iron Will.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Mar 27, 2017

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
They never actually say what YoRHa stands for, do they?

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Maxwell Adams posted:

"Yo, Real Hot androids"

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Maxwell Adams posted:

No, but I do remember reading in conversation (on a live chat for something, no archive or linkable version) that it has some has some kind of link to Platinum (the element, not the developer). They weren't able to really substantiate that though and never expounded on their train of thought very clearly.

If it does have a link to Platinum in some degree, it predates Automata but it could very will be a little wink wink nudge nudge at things to come in that context, but I would very much treat that as a breadcrumb to look into rather than a definitive thing at all.

e: Apparently, it means nothing.
https://www.reddit.com/r/nier/comments/5ywfz3/is_yorha_an_abbreviation/detr3ou/
This is the person who does all the firesanctuary.com stuff so I'd trust her info.
Of course, Yoko Taro's "means nothing" means nothing.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Mar 27, 2017

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Maxwell Adams posted:

Yo, Robotic Hatedroids!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Maxwell Adams posted:

I was actually curious about this and apparently the kanji for YoRHa is "passing leaf", but Yoko Taro didn't get into further details.

Nina posted:

Note that Commander actually isn't YoRHa so it's highly likely most inconvenient non-YoRHa staff were assigned on Bunker just to die

Maybe? On the other hand, it's been 5k+ years at least since Nier and we're on the 14th machine war, so either it's not really "new" or something Not-YoRHa but in the same vein preceeded it.

I also got a distinct impression of "repetition" from the files in the tower and the things the AI itself was saying, but I'd need to play through that chapter again for specifics-- I don't know what exactly phrase is that pinged it, but I got a very distinct Matrix/"This will be the sixth time we have destroyed Zion, and we have become exceedingly efficient at it" vibe from the 9S side of things.

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Mar 27, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Having thought about it, I'm fairly convinced either the pods themselves, or whoever created them, are basically the corresponding android side counterparts of the red girls. Note that pods 042 and 153 have *higher* security clearances than the Commander, they know of the backdoor and the necessary elimination of all Yorha personnel. They have hacking functionality along the lines of 9S but simply choose not to use it. I'm fairly sure that going back through the game they also originate things like Proposal: Annihilate A2 without any prompting from the Commander. Given they control all of your communications there's a lot of room for fuckery from them.

So I guess going back on the story, the basics of it are that:

1. The pods observe that the androids are losing the will to exist and struggle after the loss of mankind.

2. The pods initiate project yorha, using Machine components (to be humane!) with the ultimate goal of successfully generating an eternal war so that the androids can keep existing. Because Yorha are *not* androids, they can be freely sacrificed.

3. Note that the true goal of route C is to prevent the Machines from leaving the planet, and so continue the cycle of war - this is successful in C and fails in D due to 9S's mental deterioration and him ordering 153 to suspend all non-combat functions. I'm assuming the pods knew all along what the purpose of the tower is, given how drat circumspect they are about the whole thing.

4. During the course of events, however, the pods gain emotions and an appreciation of Machine life. In route E, this means that beings like 9S become not disposable, especially now that the Machines are buggering off. So they eventually call off project Yorha and give you the happy ending.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Not in a doubting way, but what precisely suggests this is true, rather than it basically being functionally so because in the intended ending of a cycle, none of YoRHa would know that they're restarting from square 1 and be aware of said cycle? A lot of incidental stuff and info suggests YoRHa is part of the cycle, not fresh to it.

The thing is previous soldier generations with the exception of the stage play unit are explicitly not on android command's kill list because they're what comprises the Resistance. The Resistance isn't a sister entity to the YoRHa as such but are veterans of previous machine wars who are still an asset to the war effort despite being technically obsolete. Seed from the stage play is something like three generations old and still around. There's a generational cycle of more advanced soldiers but Project YoRHa is unique because it's specifically designed with an expiration date

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Nina posted:

The thing is previous soldier generations with the exception of the stage play unit are explicitly not on android command's kill list because they're what comprises the Resistance. The Resistance isn't a sister entity to the YoRHa as such but are veterans of previous machine wars who are still an asset to the war effort despite being technically obsolete. Seed from the stage play is something like three generations old and still around. There's a generational cycle of more advanced soldiers but Project YoRHa is unique because it's specifically designed with an expiration date

Man that adds another layer of depressive poo poo. There is no surviving this. You're doomed to die, regardless of the side you're on; at some point sooner or later the latest model of the opposition rolls out and scraps you.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

For some reason after having to shut down the PS4, my save file rolled me back to before the robot king/A2 sequence despite my being well past Grun/the big kraken thing and having hit numerous quicksaves at fast travel points.

gently caress that. gently caress that incredibly hard. This game had a very strong grip on my attention to begin with but I just can't let that kind of thing slide.

idiotmeat
Apr 3, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

YoRHa is part of the cycle of the machines' game of tug of war, not the cycle. For the machines, the backdoor is a way to end the war, not necessarily set a major blow. That huge water boss was used to deal a major blow without totally finishing off either side.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Hmm, what is the significance of the starting narration, from 2B? Does this essentially suggest she knows the truth?

Everything that lives is designed to end.
We are perpetually trapped
in a never-ending spiral of life and death.
Is this a curse?
Or some kind of punishment?
I often think about the God who blessed us with this cryptic puzzle
and wonder if we’ll ever have the chance to kill him.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Fangz posted:

Hmm, what is the significance of the starting narration, from 2B? Does this essentially suggest she knows the truth?

Think of it logically: how can she know when she's supposed to execute 9S if she doesn't know at least some of what 9S is never supposed to find out?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I guess the other implication is that maybe your initial mission was literally to assess and potentially kill 9S, not actually to take on the goliaths.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Fangz posted:

I guess the other implication is that maybe your initial mission was literally to assess and potentially kill 9S, not actually to take on the goliaths.

There's another E unit in your squad probably to take out 11B so it's entirely possible

idiotmeat
Apr 3, 2010
Or just that she might be tired of killing the same android repeatedly. Knowing that 9S gets offed all the time might bring a little self reflection on how many times she herself could have been offed. Based on 9S's initial interaction they wake up again anew like nothing happened.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Whats the theory source of 2B being there just to murder 9S over and over again? I know she's an E unit (according to A2's comment in route C) to track down traitors etc in disguise (as explained in that red-cape sidequest) but are we actually clear on what her supposed kill triggers/objectives are or is this just conjecture? Cause in the game A/B she kills 9S after he catches some of Eve's corruption (instead of when he actually figures out the whole moon thing) and then seems visible distraught/relieved to see him again, which makes no sense for her to pretend-act after he's "dead" if this is just another "welp time to kill 9S again, maybe get lunch after" tuesday to her. This whole "take him out once he gets too close to ~~the truth~~, and then start over again and again for ???" makes no sense to me, even within the top "machines keep the 14+ machine wars going because outside pressure is the only way they can learn and evolve" conspiracy layer.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 27, 2017

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

How do I get Emil's first quest started? Any time I talk to him, he just sells me stuff.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Whats the theory source of 2B being there just to murder 9S over and over again? I know she's an E unit (according to A2's comment in route C) to track down traitors etc in disguise (as explained in that red-cape sidequest) but are we actually clear on what her supposed kill triggers/objectives are or is this just conjecture? Cause in the game A/B she kills 9S after he catches some of Eve's corruption (instead of when he actually figures out the whole moon thing) and then seems visible distraught/relieved to see him again, which makes no sense for her to pretend-act after he's "dead" if this is just another "welp time to kill 9S again, maybe get lunch after" tuesday to her. This whole "take him out once he gets too close to ~~the truth~~, and then start over again and again for ???" makes no sense to me.

It's a mixture of things. I think it's what you say, but also the "it always ends like this" when she kills him at the end of A/B, given that as far as we've seen 9S has died exactly once previously. I think her breakdown makes a lot more sense if this has happened a lot. The Yorha units are basically like Machines, they can evolve emotions over a period of time.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Whats the theory source of 2B being there just to murder 9S over and over again? I know she's an E unit (according to A2's comment in route C) to track down traitors etc in disguise (as explained in that red-cape sidequest) but are we actually clear on what her supposed kill triggers/objectives are or is this just conjecture? Cause in the game A/B she kills 9S after he catches some of Eve's corruption (instead of when he actually figures out the whole moon thing) and then seems visible distraught/relieved to see him again, which makes no sense for her to pretend-act after he's "dead" if this is just another "welp time to kill 9S again, maybe get lunch after" tuesday to her. This whole "take him out once he gets too close to ~~the truth~~, and then start over again and again for ???" makes no sense to me.

A2 saying "she hated killing you" implies that she had to do it a lot. Especially considering that she's obviously known 9S for quite some time before the game started. It's not like she was just acting like she cared for him when it turned out that he didn't have to die again, she was genuinely relieved that she didn't have to kill him again.

The reason this was kept up in a cycle was just because 9S was too valuable of an asset to destroy entirely, I guess? Dunno if there's anything in the game to actually back that up, though.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Whats the theory source of 2B being there just to murder 9S over and over again?

The text adventure of ending D literally has the line, from 9S' lips, "I guess [2B] didn't want to be attached to someone she had to kill again and again and again.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

RoadCrewWorker posted:

It's not really a theory. The game confirms it as much as possible without flashing it up in bright red writing saying "2B KILLS 9S ALL THE TIME". Right at the start of the game, someone on the bunker says 2B and 9S are always seen together yet 9S introduces himself like it's their first meeting, which makes no sense if 2B and 9S are always seen together. 2B and 9S being together forever means that 2B's regularly, if not always, assigned to 9S.

When she kills him in Route A, she says "it always ends like this" so she's implying that any time they spend together is ended by her killing him and his eventual reintroduction to her with a fresh memory. The game shows you the times during its duration that she's killed him because it's easier to make a point in this medium if you can show your point visually, rather than times she'd killed him for getting too wise because gently caress spending budget on those, I guess. She's upset about it because she's in love with him, so there's no pretending and she's just genuinely fed up of having to kill him. Because every time he comes back as a "new" 9S, he's always the same person and he's always the same with her, even though he knows she's an E type. It's her job to kill the person she loves for being the person he is, which is nightmare scenario.

If you think about it, 2B's not actually cut up about having to kill 9S at the factory in the intro because she doesn't actually know that her info has been backed up and that she'll come back to her body knowing that she's killed him again so you could read that as a "I don't have to deal with this poo poo" thing.

Outside of game, the Novella tells us that the Commander sends her orders to kill 9S as clandestinely as possible so that he can't intercept them and the order to do it is out of 2B's hands. Commander says jump, 2B says how high, ma'am.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 27, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

How do I get Emil's first quest started? Any time I talk to him, he just sells me stuff.

Should appear in the shopping mall once that store has appeared.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Augus posted:

Beginning of Route B
Haha, I got ending G where 9S just fucks off to study machines forever. Love it.

...wait, gently caress now I need to carry that bucket again. YOKO TARO!!! :argh:

You wouldn't believe how many times I did that because I wanted to get the other endings from the start of Route B.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So I've been fighting the superboss on hard to get its joke ending... and now that I've gotten it I think I will tone it down to normal when I try to actually beat it. All the one hit kill stuff made it a somewhat messy experience at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Nina posted:

The machine virus gives you gravity based superpowers. The stage play of all things explains it but the game itself glosses over it

Please explain further, I don't remember any of the other infected androids having anything like that, although the game does note that it removes their limiters so that even observation units can fight on the level of dedicated combat units.