Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

8one6 posted:

Yeah, if it worked natively on the Vive I'd already have Robo Recall, but I don't want to have to jack with a third party app (that may or may not exist in the future) on top of having to split my game library between two store fronts.

Robo Recall is ok, but being setup for front only is really annoying even for Oculus users. Once the future 360 patch drops you might want to consider it. I really wish Oculus would just state they are cool with Revive and will support it already.

I think people would even be cool with something like
"We support Revive in the current form, and any games purchased now will always work through our store using Revive (or just build a tool in house). We reserve the right to stop supporting Revive on future purchases if the Oculus platform progresses beyond SteamVR."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Isn't there a way to haxxor it into thinking you have a touch and getting it free? Some guy posted that.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Bum the Sad posted:

Isn't there a way to haxxor it into thinking you have a touch and getting it free? Some guy posted that.

Only way I know of is using the Unreal Editor, which keeps getting CPU bound for me for no apparent reason and isn't complete anyway.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Stick100 posted:

Robo Recall is ok, but being setup for front only is really annoying even for Oculus users. Once the future 360 patch drops you might want to consider it.
Yeah I gave it a go at launch and haven't bothered since - getting turned around is really annoying when you're in the middle of an intense fight. They said they'll patch it before the end of this month, fingers crossed.

quote:

I really wish Oculus would just state they are cool with Revive and will support it already.
I think people would even be cool with something like
"We support Revive in the current form, and any games purchased now will always work through our store using Revive (or just build a tool in house). We reserve the right to stop supporting Revive on future purchases if the Oculus platform progresses beyond SteamVR."
To be fair, I can see why they don't want to do this. They can't offer official support of something they have no control over (i.e. ReVive) because then if it stops working in the future, due to an update which incidentally breaks it or due to the ReVive guy giving up or whatever, then they have to deal with a pretty big backlash. And if they did, then they might as well just officially support Vive through the SteamVR wrapper or whatever way they could but don't want to do for xxx reasons (which is a whole other debate).

SEKCobra posted:

Robo Recall wasn't really mentioned much outside the VR echo chamber.
Bunch of articles I came up with from a 60 second google:
https://pastebin.com/rmmCLx82 :shrug:

Not saying it was massive news or anything - I did mention that AAA titles like Fallout 4 VR etc. are/will be more important in terms of widespread coverage & helping adoption rates.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

What programs / games are must-haves for the HTC Vive? Really thinking of picking one up. I need something to get me super hype.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Loopoo posted:

What programs / games are must-haves for the HTC Vive? Really thinking of picking one up. I need something to get me super hype.

Rec Room is fun and is free.
If you like rhythm games check out soundboxing.
Call of the Starseed is a great translation of the point and click genre to VR. It's a bit short, but if you pick up a Vive new it's one of the free games that comes with it.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 27, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If Oculus supported Revive in any fashion, they'd be on the hook if anything went wrong with it. I think them no longer blocking it is the best we'll ever get unless they decide to start supporting the Vive natively.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

I think it would be a great idea for them to support other headsets in their store. More potential sales for them and their developers is always good. I imagine it would require a wrapper like revive, though if they can get it to output to a standard format, then all future headset owners are potential customers.

I'm hoping that in a two years or so, when I upgrade to a newer headset, I'll be able to replay some of these games on my Oculus account, even if I don't get a gen 2 Oculus headset. This uncertainty has certainly made me opt for Steam over Oculus purchases when given the choice. Though I really do like how smoothly the Oculus experience is compared to the behavior I see with SteamVR.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Also if you have any worry about VR adoption, just spend a little time in RecRoom. The massive infestation by sub 12yo into that game who got it for Christmas should show that they may be the starting generation that will carry VR into the future. We may be VR Pioneers, but they are the next generation that will pretty much engulf the tech.

Similar to how there were those of use with early adopter smartphones (Windows Mobile/Palm days) while everyone was rocking their Razer/Nokia and now you see every single person with a smartphone and not a dumbphone for miles. VR will eventually hit that stride, but it may take some help with Entertainment, self containment, and quality of content.

In current news however, has anyone gotten a dreaded THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED BSOD error from an Oculus update or something in Windows 10 recently? Holy hell did my entire weekend get completely screwed by it. Had some friends over to enjoy VR on Friday after work. Everything worked perfectly through the night until shutdown. Then I boot back up on Saturday and get that BSOD message and am stuck in bootloop hell. System Restore doesn't work, Safe Mode doesn't work, no logs show me what exactly is causing it, just that something is causing it. Memory test, Disk Checks, Removed Overclock, Unplugged every single device, nothing gets past this error.

A System Reset (keeping files even though I was able to back everything up) worked, until I plugged in any other USB device which promptly gets me back into that BSOD hell.

Formatted and reinstalled and installed the latest ASMedia driver I could find and so far so good, but holy hell is this both annoying and super scary as it's an issue I can't quite pin on what caused it, an am unable to fix it seems.

I have been needing to do a system rebuild for a while anyway, but this was not the weekend I was planning on doing it, nor was it a good one with the weather making my internet slower than poo poo. (:argh: microwave vs rain!)

Going to get everything back to the way I like it, then do a system image to be safe. Totally great way to screw your weekend up. (That and catching a drat cold to boot does not help).

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Well, there are some Windows updates, AND an update for Oculus, so it might be difficult to identify which caused the problem.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

If Oculus supported Revive in any fashion, they'd be on the hook if anything went wrong with it. I think them no longer blocking it is the best we'll ever get unless they decide to start supporting the Vive natively.

Well they have stated that they have someone working to get Vive Audio working better through revive. Oculus is doing more then just not blocking Revive, but I really wish they'd commit enough to let people know that their purchases are safe across different headsets.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Chroma Lab seems pretty neat
https://giant.gfycat.com/LeadingSnoopyGnat.webm

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Loopoo posted:

Hotdogs, Horseshoes and Handgrenades is cool
Rec Room owns

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

thats fuckin sick

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Wilson's Heart got a release date, April 25th. 8-10 hours gameplay they say: https://uploadvr.com/wilsons-heart-releasing-april-25-39-99-exclusively-rift-touch/
Also,

quote:

We previously believed that Wilson’s Heart would focus primarily on puzzles and exploration, but you will in fact get to enjoy hand to hand fights as a 60+ year old man. Let that sink in for a moment.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 27, 2017

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Loopoo posted:

I haven't tried Sound Boxing since I prefer my own music (not the anime stuff that seems popular), so I got Audioshield. I enjoy it a bunch, though it does need to be restarted sometimes when the cursor is misaligned. I'm using a Rift, so maybe it isn't a problem with Vive.

That said, it is incredibly fun and let's me dance like a goon without ridicule.

Arizona Sunshine is pretty good, though I really need to find some people to do co-op/horde mode with. The campaign on single player took me a few hours, though it is admittedly pretty tough on some areas.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

El Grillo posted:

Wilson's Heart got a release date, April 25th. 8-10 hours gameplay they say: https://uploadvr.com/wilsons-heart-releasing-april-25-39-99-exclusively-rift-touch/
Also,

Noice

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Nalin posted:

Well, there are some Windows updates, AND an update for Oculus, so it might be difficult to identify which caused the problem.

Yea thats what scares the crap out of me. If a Windows Update/Oculus Update can completely brick my PC OS install that I need a reformat to bring things back up to working, that is not cool...

Hell none of the oculus stuff was even plugged into any onboard ports. It was all on the PCI-E 3.0 card I got that they recommend for us X79 owners. sigh

I'm sure i could have fixed it with a lot more googling and figuring out the CMD to not only delete drivers from CMD, but also fix the system restore or something, but googling OS fixes these days is getting to be near a joke.

If you can't fix it with SFC /SCANNOW you pretty much rule out 99% of the search results for anything these days. ugh

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Loopoo posted:

GORN

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Soundboxing is the best thing ever, I can't get it out of my mind. Needs a better way to create beatmaps though.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Loopoo posted:

Try the Zombie thing that comes with it, I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. I would definitely recommend Rec Room. Call of the Starseed is really bad in my opinion. Can't think of any other free games I'd recommend right now.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Yeah except it seems somewhat restrictive in terms of movement and use of space etc. Visual spoilers in this article but basically the reviewer is not impressed: http://www.roadtovr.com/wilsons-heart-release-date-price-hands-on-oculus-touch/
If the story/characters/setting are compelling enough, and the puzzles are well-designed, I'll play it anyway. But it sounds like it may turn some people off.

e: oh hey, new Projections episode is up from Tested and it has a segment on the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaUjin8Uvh0

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 27, 2017

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

El Grillo posted:

Yeah except it seems somewhat restrictive in terms of movement and use of space etc. Visual spoilers in this article but basically the reviewer is not impressed: http://www.roadtovr.com/wilsons-heart-release-date-price-hands-on-oculus-touch/
If the story/characters/setting are compelling enough, and the puzzles are well-designed, I'll play it anyway. But it sounds like it may turn some people off.

The problems that guy had seemed more like the general adventure game issue of only being able to solve the problems in a certain way, which is a general issue with adventure games I think. I guess the problem is compounded a little with VR but that's sort of the price you pay for trying to get a more controlled, linear story game.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
VR best of (ignoring 'value')

-Space Pirate Trainer
-Tilt Brush
-Arizona Sunshine
-Climbey
-Serious Sam TFE
-Superhot
-Raw Data

there's lots of other stuff but it tends to be less well realized or have a more niche appeal. Those 7 are full featured titles with developed mechanics and levels etc, and will entertain for hours upon hours.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

^^^Add Quell 4D to that list. It's absolutely incredible. It's a Wolfenstein 3D / Doom inspired VR FPS with a full campaign. Very challenging and you feel like a bad rear end. This game is seriously a must buy.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
If anyone is interested in Vive, this is probably the best deal we've seen yet. Vive + 1060 for $839 from Amazon.

https://slickdeals.net/f/9991204-htc-vive-gtx-1060-6gb-video-card-839-free-shipping-with-prime

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Really, what VR games to look at depends greatly on what you enjoy. I really like Vanishing Realms (old school dungeon crawl in VR), for instance, but a lot of people would probably prefer games like Space Pirate Trainer (arcadey shooter) instead.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Can anyone tell me in Vanishing Realms (In a Spoiler Tag) where the hell the "key" or whatever it is I am looking for is at? I got as far as finding the dead guys key I think that he hid in a tree. And after scouring the entire map up until that point, I cannot for the life of me find whatever he hid to move on to the next part in that game!

Good game otherwise. Really would like more of the same and I purchased some RPG Rogue like game a bit ago I was planning on testing this weekend until my OS install BSOD'ed itself.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

EdEddnEddy posted:

Can anyone tell me in Vanishing Realms (In a Spoiler Tag) where the hell the "key" or whatever it is I am looking for is at? I got as far as finding the dead guys key I think that he hid in a tree. And after scouring the entire map up until that point, I cannot for the life of me find whatever he hid to move on to the next part in that game!

Good game otherwise. Really would like more of the same and I purchased some RPG Rogue like game a bit ago I was planning on testing this weekend until my OS install BSOD'ed itself.

Been awhile, but...

It's to a chest in a mine, if you go a bit further past where you find the key. IIRC you don't 100% need the chest, though, once you have enough gold you buy the dragonfire wand and then hold it in front of the sealed door and it will open (it has a riddle about opening for the bearer of dragon fire or something in front of it).

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Advantage to the Vive in that one

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Are you guys talking about that "Face the sensors" message in Robo Recall? That only happens if you are using ReVive or have 2 sensors. The teleportation works just like Arizona Sunshine if you have 3 sensors--push up with thumbstick and you change your facing direction by rolling the thumbstick around. There is no "front" if you have 3 sensors, which everyone with a Rift should have, imo.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I've found the teleportation to be pretty good after a few rounds of Robo Recall, it took a bit to get used to though. I wish H3VR had the same teleportation scheme, I'm still struggling to find a way to move around in that game that works well.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Poetic Justice posted:

Are you guys talking about that "Face the sensors" message in Robo Recall? That only happens if you are using ReVive or have 2 sensors. The teleportation works just like Arizona Sunshine if you have 3 sensors--push up with thumbstick and you change your facing direction by rolling the thumbstick around. There is no "front" if you have 3 sensors, which everyone with a Rift should have, imo.
If your are facing to the back and then teleport forward, the front facing arrow continuing away from you, you are spun around 180 degrees and looking back at where you left because the front arrow is not relative to your facing but instead relative to the front cameras and the room. This is incredibly disorienting and counterintuitive to the way it should work.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 27, 2017

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Bhodi posted:

If your are facing to the back and then teleport forward, the front facing arrow continuing away from you, you are spun around 180 degrees and looking back at where you left because the front arrow is not relative to your facing but instead relative to the front cameras and the room. This is incredibly disorienting and counterintuitive to the way it should work.

That's so strange, I must be subconsciously re-orientating myself somewhat forward before I teleport because I've never had that happen, or at least never noticed in any case. Weird!

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Anyone have experience with third party covers for the Oculus and got a shop/product to recommend? I'm thinking that this fabric stuff is eventually gonna become bacteria central, and i should probably try to find something sweat resistant like fake leather or whatever it's called in english.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Loopoo posted:

For me my rankings and playtime are pretty closely related of how great the game is. Note that both an HTC Vive and Oculus Rift can play any of these games and I'm only including games that utilized Tracked Motion Controllers because that is what this is all about.
#1: Onward (SteamVR). 120 hours. THE VR Multiplayer FPS Game. Think Rainbow 6 / Counterstrike multiplayer done almost perfectly in VR. The best gun handling, the best FPS VR locomotion and some really good maps. Far and away #1 in my books and I can't recommend it enough, it just gets so many things "just right" its amazing. A major content update is due out this week with another map, some changes to loadouts and more.
#2: SuperHot VR (Oculus Home) - Probably 20-30 hours? Super polished and fantastic exploration of the reality stretching capabilities of the medium. Essentially a really cleverly wave shooter that avoids being a wave shooter. Almost like a puzzle wave shooter? Really fun.
#3: Robo Recall (Oculus Home) - Probably 20 hours? The most polished wave shooter by far, a little shallow but outstanding mod support will likely give this game a whole extra life.

After that the dropoff in both overall quality of experience (game quality or length) is pretty steep, I'll list some random experiences below that
Pavlov VR (SteamVR) is probably the next best multiplayer VR FPS game after Onward, but it plays very differently. Constant run and gun die and suddenly respawn but it feels kind of mushy compared to Onward.
Hot Dogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades (SteamVR) - Gun simulator with a wicked sense of humor. Really high fidelity gun interaction and multiple shooting ranges and silly things you can do.
Raw Data (SteamVR/Oculus Home) is ok, it is more action-y than Onward but its a teleport/snapturn only mechanic and the weapon/item interaction just feels a little too burdensome. It also barely does anything to stand out from the wave shooter pack.
Fruit Ninja (SteamVR/Oculus Home) is pretty entertaining, great sword chopping physics but a limited number of game modes means you should get this on sale.
Audioshield (SteamVR) is a pretty great VR rhythm game. Like Guitar Hero where you gotta hit the glowing things to the beat to get points but instead you punch orbs that are flying at you to the beat. Bring your own mp3s or youtube links.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Dongattack posted:

Anyone have experience with third party covers for the Oculus and got a shop/product to recommend? I'm thinking that this fabric stuff is eventually gonna become bacteria central, and i should probably try to find something sweat resistant like fake leather or whatever it's called in english.
The foam replacements here seem to be pretty much all that's on the market right now: https://vrcover.com/shop/
I'm still waiting for mine, N.B. they ship from Thailand.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

El Grillo posted:

The foam replacements here seem to be pretty much all that's on the market right now: https://vrcover.com/shop/
I'm still waiting for mine, N.B. they ship from Thailand.

I've heard people talk about them positively, but a lot of online feedback looks really horrible and not worth the price.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Narcosis (the creepy underwater horror game thing) is out on Steam and Home. Gamepad only but it does look cool, and it's £15 which is pretty good for a VR paid title.

SEKCobra posted:

I've heard people talk about them positively, but a lot of online feedback looks really horrible and not worth the price.
I'll post a review of my Rift one if it ever loving arrives :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

SEKCobra posted:

The price and long shipping time is what keeps me from getting one of those fancy fake leather ones.

This one has been getting better feedback, though it's not leather. Do think you can wash it though, instead of just wiping it down.