Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

So apparently Yuujo Senki, Kemono Friends, and ACCA all have had major upwards drifts in their MAL score from when they first aired. Kemono Friends went from 4 to 6, ACCA from 6.9 to 7.4, and Yuujo Senki went from allegedly 7.3 to breaking 8.

An interesting season in terms of upward reassessment.

kemono friends still too low

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

but also who cares about MAL scores

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Cake Attack posted:

MAL is the name of the evil computer in Captain Planet. That evil computer was voiced by Tim Curry.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

ACCA should be an 8+

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

A scoring system that lets people rate a show before it's over, is a bad one

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

im fairly sure they stop counting those ratings once the show is actually done

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Srice posted:

yeah this seems dumb

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Srice posted:

counterpoint: if people keep ratings current with the show, you can see trends in public opinion. i don't think MAL displays that data anywhere though.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Almost all MAL scores go up as their seasons go on, because the only people who make it to the end of a season are the folks who like it.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

dogsicle posted:

counterpoint: if people keep ratings current with the show, you can see trends in public opinion. i don't think MAL displays that data anywhere though.

theres a guy that always compiles the rating changes at the end of each season, i always see his graphs floating around

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Seiren is continuing to save anime:

Delicious sandwich
Nov 6, 2011
Today I saw Ancien and the Magic Tablet, aka Napping Princess, aka that movie that used Daydream Believer in its trailer (it's also played over the credits in the film). It's pretty solid. I liked the way it's vague about the significance of the "dream world" initially (e.g. Kokone believes it affects reality in some way, and there's some evidence for that, but it's easy to come up with other explanations), and the reveal was actually good and sensible. It's got a pretty good message about advancing technology in there too, I suppose.

The only real problem I had was that the climax seemed kind of bizarre. After establishing that the dream world is an allegory for Kokone's mother's life, they proceed to... have a big action scene in the dream world. The audience has no reason to care about the dream world itself at that point, and I at least have no idea what the scene could mean allegorically. Even so it had a few good bits, like the king/grandfather explaining that he recognized Kokone because of her doll. Anyway, it doesn't detract from the rest of the film, but it seemed mostly extraneous.

Also this is the second anime film I've seen featuring a character who is a CMU alumnus (the first being Summer Wars). Go Tartans.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Have they announced anorther season of Ai Mai Mi yet?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Guy Goodbody posted:

*throws $50 in the currently empty Ai Mai Mi Continuation Fund*

Good news! There's now enough to fund another season!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I made a new thread for My Hero Academia season 2.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3814524

Additionally, Crunchyroll will be simulcasting it along with Funimation and adding season 1 to their library shortly before.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Man, Fuuka's anime-original confession scene was really great.

"gently caress it all, I love you goddammit!" (liberties taken with the translation).

I realize I said that I didn't care about the character at all two episodes ago, but they did a great job of rehabilitating her this episode, and almost entirely in what felt like 120 seconds of playtime.

Is there any Sara-senpai romance in the manga? Seems like they did their level best to set her up as a heroine possibility, and then immediately forgot about her.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

another reminder to watch Time Bokan 24

https://u.nya.is/fcpvre.mp4

it just ended, so everybody should start watching in preparation for the recently announced s2!

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Kytrarewn posted:

"gently caress it all, I love you goddammit!" (liberties taken with the translation).

I realize I said that I didn't care about the character at all two episodes ago, but they did a great job of rehabilitating her this episode, and almost entirely in what felt like 120 seconds of playtime.

Is there any Sara-senpai romance in the manga? Seems like they did their level best to set her up as a heroine possibility, and then immediately forgot about her.

Fuuka's last episode was like watching a semi truck drive full-steam-ahead over a rope bridge. Really shaky, not perfect in any way, could have been a disaster at any time, but somehow managed to stick some semblance of an ending. Props to the editors and storyboarders, this could have been way, way worse.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

So did she ever get hit by a truck or not

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Cake Attack posted:

So did she ever get hit by a truck or not

No she dodged the truck

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

At least now I have an easy pick for most disappointing series of the year.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wonder if the principal of Minami Kamakura High School is that much of a psycho to the other clubs too.

"Listen up, first years. I'm sure you all joined the Baseball Club because you want to play baseball. But if you don't become lifelong friends and discover the true meaning of baseball in the next two months, the principal will disband the Baseball Club forever. We had to do it, our sempais had to do it, it's just how it works here. We might get an extra week this year, apparently the estranged father of one of the members of the Calligraphy Club is in the hospital, and making sure the other club members get them to reconcile is taking up a lot of her time"

xXWehrabooXx
Mar 11, 2014

Kytrarewn posted:

Would have been better if Fuuka got trucked right after the ED as they announce the second season

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hot take, but i don't want a teenage girl to get hit by a truck, even in fiction

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
In other news, Masamune-kun no Ribenji becomes interesting in and after the last episode of the show in a way that's reminiscent of Medaka Box Abnormal.

Sadly, there's only 10 extra chapters of the manga translated to date after the close of the season, but they're giving off a lot of signs of tying things up soon in the manga.

You don't normally see a show that's made at that point in the lifecycle of the manga, do you? Either it's finished and can take the manga's conclusion, or it's extremely early and they plan to milk it for additional seasons, right?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Kytrarewn posted:

In other news, Masamune-kun no Ribenji becomes interesting in and after the last episode of the show in a way that's reminiscent of Medaka Box Abnormal.

Sadly, there's only 10 extra chapters of the manga translated to date after the close of the season, but they're giving off a lot of signs of tying things up soon in the manga.

You don't normally see a show that's made at that point in the lifecycle of the manga, do you? Either it's finished and can take the manga's conclusion, or it's extremely early and they plan to milk it for additional seasons, right?

Masamune-kun anime sales are pretty bad, so it's unlikely to get a second season for economical reasons. Reports say the first volume didn't even reach 1000 copies. Still more than the sales of Handshakers and Chaos;Child combined, though!

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Endorph posted:

hot take, but i don't want a teenage girl to get hit by a truck, even in fiction

I'm making a list of any people who vote that they were disappointed about this.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Tragedy is good. Taking liberties in adaptations is also good. This whole conversation is framed in the weirdest ways.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I love when teenagers die

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Recommend me some good animes where teenagers die

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

char's counterattack

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

an actual dog posted:

Madoka.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

an actual dog posted:

Madoka

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

an actual dog posted:

Re:Zero
TTGL

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Is Romeo x Juliet good?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i prefer macbeth

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Armor-Piercing posted:

Is Romeo x Juliet good?

Baz Luhrmann is overrated

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

One of the best anime of all time had truck death so heck, I'm pro-truck death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!

Srice posted:

One of the best anime of all time had truck death so heck, I'm pro-truck death

I like SoreMachi as much as the next guy but I think that's going a bit far.

• Locked thread