Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

mandatory lesbian posted:

for whatever reason the images aren't loading for me in that article so i can't see whatever the embalm card is

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

GeneX posted:

I hope they reprint Lightning Rift

FTFY, also me too

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

InterrupterJones posted:

FTFY, also me too

Too Good for standard. (Playable burn is too good)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

GeneX posted:

I hope they reprint Astral Slide

This.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

They reprinted Fling?!

Oh baby we're gonna get there.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Count Bleck posted:

They reprinted Fling?!

Oh baby we're gonna get there.

Fumarole/Crackdown Construct combo lives!

edit: I also hope Sphinx of Magosi is somehow playable even though it never is.

edit edit:

Why not just reprint Keen Sense?

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 27, 2017

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

GoutPatrol posted:

It always baffles me when they do a functional reprint of a card where the original fits the new set's flavour just fine. And half the time they use up a good card name doing it.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

GoutPatrol posted:

They don't want people playing it with Walking Ballista, maybe?

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Sickening posted:

Too Good for standard. (Playable burn is too good)

Maybe; but as long as they didn't print anything like those 1 cost cycle lands from Onslaught, I don't see it being too powerful. Standard has plenty of enchantment hate anyway.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Jenx posted:

They don't want people playing it with Walking Ballista, maybe?

This just makes me want it even more.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

80s James Hetfield posted:

Wasn't this event sponsored by SCG? How do you just not let them handle the streaming aspect? Ever if you want to use your own commentators fine, just let the people who run the Opens offscreen handle the stream. I feel like I couldn't be the only one to think logically about it?!

Isn't there some weird drama with wizards not allowing them to do their ads for their website or talk about their promotions and future events? Might just be community speculation but it does make sense

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

GoutPatrol posted:

Probably because that's a color-shifted version of Curiosity, and they don't like reprinting those cards in new expansions. My guess.

Also, there's an important distinction between a trigger on "deals damage" and "deals combat damage."

E: for reference

TheMaestroso fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 27, 2017

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Images are loading now.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Entropic posted:

Images are loading now.

Wow is this trash.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Embalm is basically flashback for creatures, like a better Unearth, which is kind of neat.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

GoutPatrol posted:

being able to make lovely references to 90s movies is important

also the combat damage vs plain old damage thing I guess

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Normally the "as..." wording instead of "when..." wording means it's not a triggered ability and doesn't use the stack, it just happens at the same time as the thing that makes it happen. I don't think that's what's happening here, though, since it doesn't make much sense for an ability that doesn't use the stack to "target", and it would be really weird if they didn't give the opponent a chance to respond with Giant Growth effects.

It seems more likely to me that the word "target" forces it to use the stack, and the "as" wording makes the exerting happen "as a cost", i.e. it exerts when the ability goes on the stack instead of when the ability resolves. I think if it said "When" you could target a creature and put the trigger on the stack, and then when the opponent played Giant Growth you could go "okay in that case I choose not to exert." Not sure though?

Note that it's "when you do", not "if you do". The second part is a triggered ability. You choose whether or not to exert as you declare attackers, the ability is put on the stack at the next opportunity.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
That demon seems really good to me in the right deck

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

i like where the art is going. i hope we get some really cool designs

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Archfiend and cathartic reunion seems fun

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

This limited format is gonna be grindy as well with cycling and Embalm.

its me glenda posted:

Archfiend and cathartic reunion seems fun

That's only 1 trigger, right?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Entropic posted:

Images are loading now.

Snake wants this card bad. This seems pretty exploitable.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Elyv posted:

being able to make lovely references to 90s movies is important

also the combat damage vs plain old damage thing I guess

Also now there's 2 green Curiosities for commander or whatever.

mcmagic posted:

Wow is this trash.

It's slow but it's powerful. I'd play it in sealed.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

its me glenda posted:

If -1/-1 counters become a big thing in constructed all the Constrictor decks are gonna go away pretty fast.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Flashback, but with creatures seems kind of lame. Would have preferred just to have flashback on spells.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Sickening posted:

I think embalm is stupid and we should have just re-used flashback. I don't understand why we need totally new mechanic that the only difference is that you aren't casting the cards. I don't see the upside against making counterspells worse.

turns out you can't flash back creatures

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GeneX posted:

I hope they reprint Astral Slide

And the one that deals damage per cycle, and why the hell not exalted angel.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

This limited format is gonna be grindy as well with cycling and Embalm.

That's only 1 trigger, right?

Tell me about it. I love grindy formats and embalm is going to make me so happy. I wonder what the purpose of the "Embalmed" counter is for though? I think it's so that if you don't have the official token insert, you can just use the original exiled card and pop the Embalmed counter on it to signify that it's a white zombie token and the original card is actually exiled.

I have a common/uncommon cube and I'll have to be careful about the embalm creatures because they're going to make it super grindy.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Exert is "when you attack, you may exert $. If you do, gain <effect>" but the dude doesn't untap on your untap step

commons(and three uncommons) from the 30 card intro decks:

E: also this is a thing

Elyv fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 27, 2017

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

GoutPatrol posted:

If -1/-1 counters become a big thing in constructed all the Constrictor decks are gonna go away pretty fast.

Oof, yeah. That's not an optional trigger. If there's anything like Black Sun's Zenith, it just wrecks Constrictor.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

What I don't get is why they don't just transform the embalmed creature. Why does it have to be a token? Would it be too strong with bounce/flicker effects?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
cool white zombies

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

its me glenda posted:

I bet SaffronOlive's already brewing up something janky with this, snake and Paradox Engine.

I can't tell if this is a nombo with Sensei's or not.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

GimmickMan posted:

What I don't get is why they don't just transform the embalmed creature. Why does it have to be a token? Would it be too strong with bounce/flicker effects?
They probably don't want you to be able to just bounce the creature back into the regular sided version. Flavor wise this seems neat, I can dig it.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

GimmickMan posted:

Double-sided cards is a huge can of worms as far as printing logistics goes, and they probably didn't think it was worth it.

Also exiling is their go-to solution for making sure that there's no way for something to be abused.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
You'd also have to explicitly exile the back side when it dies, otherwise you'd just get the front side in the graveyard again to re-embalm.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

I knew as soon as I heard it was an egypt set we were gonna get Sexy Mummies somehow.

GimmickMan posted:

I mean, you could. Have Embalm read "Return this card from your graveyard to the battlefield transformed." and have the back face say "when this leaves the battlefield, exile it."
But they just did a DFC block and they probably don't want to bring back all the confusion and printing overhead of DFCs just for one mechanic.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

EatinCake posted:

They probably don't want you to be able to just bounce the creature back into the regular sided version. Flavor wise this seems neat, I can dig it.
This way you can only embalm a given dudette once ever. If you wanted to do that with a transforming card, you'd have to write extra rules text on it to make it go away for good. Also this way you can remove it with a bounce instead of finding real removal.

Edit: So beaten.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Entropic posted:

Embalm is basically flashback for creatures, like a better Unearth, which is kind of neat.

Interesting way to do this, this is so my thing! It's the sort of thing I would expect them to use counters for, so it would return with an embalm counter and be exiled if it left the battlefield. This is actually not strictly better than Unearth, since Unearth would play really nice with Eldrazi Displacer. On the other hand it's nice with populate effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

TheMaestroso posted:

Also, there's an important distinction between a trigger on "deals damage" and "deals combat damage."
And between opponent and player. :eng101:

• Locked thread