Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Phantasium posted:

Imagine a Breath of the Wild where you can still break all the puzzles, but you have an annoying partner character yelling at you for doing so.
as soon as I got out of the Shrine of Resurrection I tried to climb the mountain behind me and gently caress off somewhere else and Big Suze Zelda shouted at me for going off the path and I had a horrible sinking feeling

and then that never happened again and it nwas great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

Bring back Na'vi, thanks.

LISTEN!

She's the new map feature.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I haven't look yet, but does the Blood Moon respawn Guardians?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Beastie posted:

I haven't look yet, but does the Blood Moon respawn Guardians?

Yurp

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Phantasium posted:

Imagine a Breath of the Wild where you can still break all the puzzles, but you have an annoying partner character yelling at you for doing so.

I'm pretty sure breaking puzzles was the intent

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I used my last ancient arrow on a guardian and started fighting a stalnox and a blood moon rose and respawned the guardian right behind me

(so i parried it to death because I'm not a scrub)

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

How the heck do you get stal hinoxes to wake up. I see the skeletons lying around but I can hop up all over them all through the night and they don't budge

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Do you know what's funny about rain climbing? Your ice blocks aren't big enough to slip on. So during rain I found a waterfall and made alternating ice steps to the top.

Although I think there should me more surfaces you can't slip on like the towers. if I grab onto a giant root it shouldn't be as smooth as glass. Although I can't complain much. this game is so awesome for letting you climb up pretty much anything.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

El Burbo posted:

How the heck do you get stal hinoxes to wake up. I see the skeletons lying around but I can hop up all over them all through the night and they don't budge

If you get to them too early before night fully comes around they just won't get up sometimes. Teleport to the nearest shrine and come back to see if that does it, it worked for me.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

El Burbo posted:

I'm going to assume they can't directly transition from inanimate to animate while you're looking at them, so just run off until its out of draw distance, then run back and it should be awake.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lodin posted:

I like to envision a small team of depressed Nintendo devs who are watching youtubes and slowly drinking themselves to death. All these motherfuckers breaking the beautiful puzzles we spent years creating! :argh:

I'd rather think about the team of happy Nintendo devs who coded the physics system and laugh a bunch as players use it to break puzzles :getin:

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

So I just did the Yiga clan hideout, it was as lovely as everyone said. I got through it on the 4th or 5th try after getting screwed.

Immediately after I was ambushed in two separate instances by Yiga archers. Are they just going to do that now? How frequent is it because these fuckers are annoying.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Phantasium posted:

If you get to them too early before night fully comes around they just won't get up sometimes. Teleport to the nearest shrine and come back to see if that does it, it worked for me.

Shadowlyger posted:

I'm going to assume they can't directly transition from inanimate to animate while you're looking at them, so just run off until its out of draw distance, then run back and it should be awake.

Ah that makes sense, like how NPCs don't actually have an animation for getting into bed so they'll just stand over it until you shift the camera away for a second then suddenly they're sleeping

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

Robot Hobo posted:

The Hyrule Castle section of the game feels like Castlevania finally done perfectly in 3D.

I just scaled the outside one shotting guardians. Is there anything noteworthy I missed? I was a little bummed out about how anticlimactic the castle was. I was so decked out with my gear that everything was a joke.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

How are so many people having issues with the Gerudo Stealth Mission™? I didn't even realize there was major penalties for getting caught, because I went across the top of the room and then shot an arrow at the ground to move one of the last people out of the way. It seemed really really easy.

EpicNemesis posted:

I just scaled the outside one shotting guardians. Is there anything noteworthy I missed? I was a little bummed out about how anticlimactic the castle was. I was so decked out with my gear that everything was a joke.

Mostly lore in the form of documents, powerful equipment, and the Hylian Shield. It's an incredible experience.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

EpicNemesis posted:

You missed a lot. It has some really cool inside areas and there are secrets everywhere. Being at peak strength makes it less interesting though.

I made several excursions into the castle throughout my playthrough, each time getting sweet loot and getting a little bit further. Because I was so weak each encounter was extremely tense, and I had to resort to some exotic fighting tactics (bombs everywhere all the time!).

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Takoluka posted:

How are so many people having issues with the Gerudo Stealth Mission™? I didn't even realize there was major penalties for getting caught, because I went across the top of the room and then shot an arrow at the ground to move one of the last people out of the way. It seemed really really easy.

I just had trouble because I kept being too hasty. As soon as I figured out I could much more easily handle things by getting up on the rafters, it went much, much more easily. I also assumed it would be longer than it was, but it was just two rooms.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

The first time I kept getting screwed on the sneak strike not triggering. The next time it did trigger but the weapon was too short and the blow didn't connect. Another time Link grabbed onto a wall instead of jump up and over a box to escape. The time after that I got to the end and was caught by the final guard after he heard me from around the corner.

It was lovely, and you can't save scum it. Thankfully it's a really short section.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Takoluka posted:

yeah I'm usually trash at stealth missions but it's like two rooms and you can just climb to the top of the room and literally walk past everyone. The one guard you need to go anywhere close to is the guy at the final door and there's a huge gap to drop stuff (bananas) right in front of him so you can cheerily drop down and stroll past him.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

People would be fine with it if not fit the one hit kills. Not sure why they added that in. Make them hit like a truck if you want but one hit kill that goes through all your precautions is unfair

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Welp. I'm at the end. Nothing left to do except beat Ganon. After getting my last divine beast, Vah Medoh, I was left with 6 shrines left. Two of them required completion of Vah Medoh. One was actually inside Hyrule Castle. One was East of Hyrule Castle on that hill with the hollow tree stumps.

That left me at 118 shrines and a fully explored map. Like an unscratched itch I couldn't leave it alone. I spent two or three hours re-exploring areas I believed I had under explored. Nothing. Apparently I had done a pretty good job after all. No missed shrines on my sheikah sensor. I got a bunch of korok seeds for my trouble though.

Eventually I gave up. The world is too big and I had already traveled everywhere once. After consulting the internet I discovered I had missed Sand Seal racing and Gut Check Rock Gorons Shrine #2: Hot plate edition. I honestly can't believe I missed these things. After thinking about it I must have walked right by both of them without noticing. But I got the grand prize for 120 shrines. I LOVE the outfit. I took it to the Great Fairy to see what it would take to upgrade this bad boy.... UGH. NO. NO MORE. I've done enough dragon farming. Honestly that kind of farming isn't too bad because I found you could hit all three reliably in a row with minimal effort, but I just wanted to experience the end of the game.

Soooo: final total. 120 shrines, ~ 260 seeds, All memories. I can safely say I will never, ever find all 900 seeds. I saw an argument about this a few pages back, but I'm honestly really glad that they put so many in the game. This way I can find the amount I did and have a really comfortable amount of inventory space without needing to pull my hair out.

Now tonight I'll beat Ganon and polish this bad boy off. I'll probably post a post-mortem later, but suffice to say this is one of the best games I've ever played. Unlike in other Zeldas there isn't one moment or anything that sticks out that I'll remember in ten years like say 'oh remember the loving water temple in OOT!' but boy. The complete journey in this game is bar none one of the best I've experienced.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I just sit here trying to sneak strike a sleeping Moblin and my spear just keeps phasing through their crotch without doing any damage or waking them up

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

parallelodad posted:

People would be fine with it if not fit the one hit kills. Not sure why they added that in. Make them hit like a truck if you want but one hit kill that goes through all your precautions is unfair

The first time I ran through it on the Wii U I triggered them in the second room and fought my way through it by toggling my frost sword and my lightening rod. Get on my level.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ice Fist posted:

Now tonight I'll beat Ganon and polish this bad boy off. I'll probably post a post-mortem later, but suffice to say this is one of the best games I've ever played. Unlike in other Zeldas there isn't one moment or anything that sticks out that I'll remember in ten years like say 'oh remember the loving water temple in OOT!' but boy. The complete journey in this game is bar none one of the best I've experienced.

I was thinking about how I'm probably going to replay this sometime within the year because I'm going to get a Switch soon-ish, and I was happy to realize that I don't dread that at all.

I was kind of sad because I know that going in knowing as much as I do now will mean I won't get the same sense of wonder--it's one of those games, a lot like the Souls series, where your first time playing is always going to be the kind of experience you can't have again short of, y'know, memory loss or something. But that's okay, because I think coming back will be another kind of good experience, like going on vacation someplace you've been already and looking forward to the great things you loved the first time around. Plus now I know a lot about where to go and what to do to get strong really quickly, which will help me blow through the early parts and get my footing right away.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Harrow posted:

I was kind of sad because I know that going in knowing as much as I do now will mean I won't get the same sense of wonder--it's one of those games, a lot like the Souls series, where your first time playing is always going to be the kind of experience you can't have again short of, y'know, memory loss or something. But that's okay, because I think coming back will be another kind of good experience, like going on vacation someplace you've been already and looking forward to the great things you loved the first time around. Plus now I know a lot about where to go and what to do to get strong really quickly, which will help me blow through the early parts and get my footing right away.

Agreed. Knowing a game inside and out hasn't stopped me from playing OOT ~10 times.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

Harrow posted:

I was thinking about how I'm probably going to replay this sometime within the year because I'm going to get a Switch soon-ish, and I was happy to realize that I don't dread that at all.

I played it for almost 2 weeks on my Wii U while my switch was en route to me. My game boner couldn't wait for the switch. I wanted to just wander around the plateau for a few hours just to satiate myself. Fast forward a little over a week and I think I clocked like 50 hours into the wii U version. I got my switch and got to the same point more or less (less ingredients but stronger) in maybe 10 hours or less.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
I 'finished' the game last night. After loading my cleared save, the map now shows my completion rate and... 21.0%. Goddamn.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

El Burbo posted:

Ah that makes sense, like how NPCs don't actually have an animation for getting into bed so they'll just stand over it until you shift the camera away for a second then suddenly they're sleeping

Stalnoxes start coming to life at the same time the regular Stalfos and such start appearing so a good rule of thumb if you're wanting to fight one is wander around the immediate area until the first time a Stalfos pops up then run back to the Stalnox.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I do like how NPCs have an animated dedicated to talking to you if you wake them in a bed.

Like that was the most important thing the team took from their homework assignments of playing through Oblivion and Skyrim from Aonuma. They realized how bizarre it was that NPCs had to get up out of bed to talk directly to you.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Lodin posted:

I like to envision a small team of depressed Nintendo devs who are watching youtubes and slowly drinking themselves to death. All these motherfuckers breaking the beautiful puzzles we spent years creating! :argh:

The best part is they apparently found out a lot of those just during play-testing and considered removing them before saying nah gently caress it, the world's your oyster.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Robot Hobo posted:

I 'finished' the game last night. After loading my cleared save, the map now shows my completion rate and... 21.0%. Goddamn.
i think koroks count for like 60%, hilariously

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Yahaha!

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

*72%

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

That's somewhat depressing.

At least now we can't complain that there are all of the races are under populated for being such a big game. One race has a population well over 900. :smithicide:

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Alright, so I am winding down at about 60 shrines and 80 korok seeds (I know it's weak, but hey it's my friend's Wii U and he needs it back). That being said, rather than take on Hyrule Castle tonight, I want a list of Cool Optional Content that I might have missed. Any additions?

Cool poo poo I've Done:
Barbarian Armor: Labyrinth Shrines
Master Sword: Lost Woods / Korok Trials
Most of the World Bosses: Hinox, Stalnox, Lynel, Molduga, Talus
Tarrey Town is about halfway done

Things still on the list:
Thyphlo Ruins
Eventide Isle

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

f#a# posted:

Alright, so I am winding down at about 60 shrines and 80 korok seeds (I know it's weak, but hey it's my friend's Wii U and he needs it back). That being said, rather than take on Hyrule Castle tonight, I want a list of Cool Optional Content that I might have missed. Any additions?

Cool poo poo I've Done:
Barbarian Armor: Labyrinth Shrines
Master Sword: Lost Woods / Korok Trials
Most of the World Bosses: Hinox, Stalnox, Lynel, Molduga, Talus
Tarrey Town is about halfway done

Things still on the list:
Thyphlo Ruins
Eventide Isle

Shield surfing, get the white horse, do more shrines because they're good.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I wish the game had animal companions not related to amiibos =/

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
What's the best way to make money in this game? I feel like I'm broke @ roughly 1200 rupees. I am on the 2nd divine beast, the fire lizard one, and I want to buy the fire armor leggings and helmet but it costs about 1500 more than I have :(

Is it just mining ore and selling the materials away?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Why can't the Ganon fight take place on a hill so I could pull off some sick nasty shield shredding while murdering him, come on Nintendo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

weird Asian candy posted:

What's the best way to make money in this game? I feel like I'm broke @ roughly 1200 rupees. I am on the 2nd divine beast, the fire lizard one, and I want to buy the fire armor leggings and helmet but it costs about 1500 more than I have :(

Is it just mining ore and selling the materials away?
get meat, cook 5 meat, sell meat