Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
I imagine someone's hard at work making secret heresy societies already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Shbobdb posted:

I was going to say this didn't get enough love but Charles died when he was 55 unless my math is horrifically wrong.

This is a wee bit embarrassing but I wasn't making a joke. That's literally a thing that happened to me. Is there an infamous gay German inheritor?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Clanpot Shake posted:

This is a wee bit embarrassing but I wasn't making a joke. That's literally a thing that happened to me. Is there an infamous gay German inheritor?
plz google "british monarchy"

also then pray to marx for more guillotines

Jedit posted:

Do it for ye Lollards!
lollin like a Fraticelli Emperor of Italia

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Another pet peeve: all the "can I have land?" events picking a county you own at random and they keep coming no matter how few counties/baronies you have.

I'd totally give the guy who it just popped the "I could give my friend land!" a barony I have on hand! I'd even give a county in my spare duchy. But I'm not giving him land in my loving capital duchy.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Mar 27, 2017

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Midnight Voyager posted:

Another pet peeve: all the "can I have land?" events picking a county you own at random and they keep coming no matter how few counties/baronies you have.

I'd totally give the guy who it just popped the "I could give my friend land!" a barony I have on hand! I'd even give a county in my spare duchy. But I'm not giving him land in my loving capital duchy.

Yeah this event should just work like the old "promised a relative some land" event, where instead of automatically picking a title for you to give them RIGHT NOW, it puts a modifier on them that marks them as having been promised land if you agreed to give them some. Then they only come back and ask for something specific if you don't give them anything on your own within about a year's time.

Although maybe the fact that it's a delayed thing means it might not work properly with favours I guess? It seems like you could just have a different character modifier depending on whether you picked the "I'll give you land for a favour" vs. "I'll give you land for free", with the latter triggering a followup event when you give them land that grants a favour.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Mar 27, 2017

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Give away land? Never! In my Kingdom of Sicily current game I stacked every possible stewardship modifier and went so far as to abolish the council to get my demesne limit to 14 so I can fully hold the duchies of Tunis and Sicily. 12 counties + 1 barony under my direct rule, and all the southern part of the boot of Italy (including Aprutium that I sniped out of a freshly independent Tuscany) is ruled by d'Hautevilles :getin:

Now let's see what happens when my 23 stewardship king kicks the bucket and a 0 stewardship heir inevitably takes over

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Mar 27, 2017

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Paradox with the traditional "this is the part where we fix all the mistakes we made in the DLC" dev diary.

I kind of wish demon hunters were something that was triggered by the court chaplain's inquisitions or by one of the religious secret societies (or were a new society of their own?) but maybe they'll throw some other bone to the poor monks?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Looks good because I have absolutely no idea how secret religion stuff works at all. Can you only engage in it if you're not independent?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's currently only limited to a relatively few religions, which do not include any heresies or unreformed pagans.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
So I installed the compatch that makes CK2+ and Rebels and Warriors (two awesome overhauls everyone should check out, RaW is closer to Vanilla than CK2+) play nice together and... uh... I've had the weirdest game of CK2. Highlight is King Sultan Karl Karling.

In 779 Charlemagne conquered Andalusia, how he got the claim I have no clue, but the weirdest part is one of the landed sons of the former umayyd sultan converted to christianity. At the same time Charlemagne saw the light of Allah and converted to Islam (or he's having the weirdest midlife crisis). The sultan's son and Charlemagne are best buds too.

I'm tempted to tag over, steer Charlemagne in the right direction by having him take Italy, form... some kind of holy empire, then give Andalusia back to the christian umayyd. Then watch where the dominoes fall.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 27, 2017

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

How on earth did he convert as an adult without having a muslim concubine or being a lunatic? Why is his prestige so low? How does he only have a non-dynastic heir? :psyduck:

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It's currently only limited to a relatively few religions, which do not include any heresies or unreformed pagans.

It works for Zoroastrians, right?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Technowolf posted:

It works for Zoroastrians, right?

Yes, here's the list that will be obsolete with the update:

- Catholic
- Orthodox
- Sunni
- Shiite
- Jewish
- Zoroastrian
- Hindu
- Buddhist
- Jain
- Reformed Germanic
- Reformed Romuva
- Reformed Slavic
- Reformed Suomenusko
- Reformed Zun
- Reformed West African

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Pester posted:

How on earth did he convert as an adult without having a muslim concubine or being a lunatic? Why is his prestige so low? How does he only have a non-dynastic heir? :psyduck:

His prestige is ~3k, and Pepin the hunchback, his bastard son, is the heir because the kingdom went agnatic open when Charlemagne magically became muslim. I'm a few years forward and Charlie's christian again, but the kingdom's still agnatic open so the hunchback bastard still inherits cause Charlie's shooting blanks. Somehow this multiethnic, multireligious empire is still holding together.

...I wonder how ugly Europe's borders are about to get. :cripes:

edit:

IT KEEPS GETTING BETTER! Pepin the hunchback died so it went to Pepin the son of Charlemange's brother. Turns out the son had been captured by the former sultan of andalusia, who managed to keep hold of a county, and raised in secret to become a bedouin muslim. He made Al-Andalusia his primary and is undergoing several civil wars.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 27, 2017

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

So I installed the compatch that makes CK2+ and Rebels and Warriors (two awesome overhauls everyone should check out, RaW is closer to Vanilla than CK2+)

I am interested, tell me more - I am trying out Flogi Buildings and Technology mod but not really liking it. Vanilla has far too few things to build, but that has too many and it feels kinda off, also it inflates cash and retinues excessively.

I'd like something to spice things up especially in the peacetime and intrigue department, where I feel things get pretty repetitive 100 years in already. Kill this guy, revoke this country, blackmail that other guy... booooring. Way of life focuses are great but I'm starting to see constant repeats by now... and societies are currently pretty primitive to give me what I'm looking for

CK2+ looks awesome but also like it'd make the game 3x harder and that is not something I want but maybe I'm just being a huge baby

Rebels and Warmongers (guess that is what you're talking about) looks cool but mostly combat/war focused and I find I like warring less and less, I'd rather scheme and gently caress my way to power, beating people over the head with sticks is so uncouth

do they play well with the latest patch? Is it worth it to use both?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

They both play surprisingly well together largely because they touch different aspects of the game. Ck2+ has more grand sweeping changes to the underpinning systems like laws and casus belli and religion.

RaW, or the parts of it that are in, make the interpersonal interactions more interesting. People get friends and rivals for a variety of reasons that make sense (killing people's dads in battle is a big one) which leads to more dynamic poo poo going on in game as empire literally devolve into blood fueds. I've had a hilarious time keeping my Norse vassals from killing each other in duels, for instance. It also adds loads of peacetime stuff like breeding horses or awarding hunting trophies during hunts. Small fun stuff that's not creepy like parts of VEIT or intrusive like all of VEIT.

Using both raw and ck2+ together makes the game easier and harder in different ways. Raws overhaul of the education system means you'll have less worthless characters but less great ones too, but over life they accrue all sorts of traits and bonuses. It also helps dull the downtime difficulty ck2+ has with the slightly (and i mean slightly, i still on average can take 769 sigudr ring from duke to king to emperor in 30 years) slowed pace of conquest. Also be prepared for a lot more people dying in duels because RaW's (loving awesome) interactive duel system.

Just be sure to grab the compatch that made this all possible. It's on the steam workshop, one of the more recent items.

As for Flogi's mods, I've started avoiding them. They're great ideas, but poor executions. You're rolling in gold with all his added buildings, but it's made worse by this weird bug his mod's loan system introduces. People take out loans, die, then that gold goes to their liege free of repayment obligations. The only the his mods have going for them is the extended trade route.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 27, 2017

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

They both play surprisingly well together largely because they touch different aspects of the game. Ck2+ has more grand sweeping changes to the underpinning systems like laws and casus belli and religion.

RaW, or the parts of it that are in, make the interpersonal interactions more interesting.

Thanks, looks like RaW is more my cup of tea, I'll try it out. CK2+ looks like overly complicated, and as mentioned I'm a huge baby that doesn't want to lose.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

CK2+ is really not that much more difficult than base, and is in general really excellent.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

So I installed the compatch that makes CK2+ and Rebels and Warriors (two awesome overhauls everyone should check out, RaW is closer to Vanilla than CK2+) play nice together and... uh... I've had the weirdest game of CK2. Highlight is King Sultan Karl Karling.

I'm Charlemagne's baby rattle

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

ninjahedgehog posted:

I'm Charlemagne's baby rattle

I think better looking garbs added an update that gives your characters the artifacts they currently posses. I know my dude always has his sword, HEARTSEEKER :black101:, slung behind him.

TorakFade posted:

Thanks, looks like RaW is more my cup of tea, I'll try it out. CK2+ looks like overly complicated, and as mentioned I'm a huge baby that doesn't want to lose.

Nah dude, use them both. Like together. It's the best thing ever. The compatch that makes these two great mods work together is a god send. CK2+ isn't that hard at all. You can get prestige from liking dogs in CK2+.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

I think better looking garbs added an update that gives your characters the artifacts they currently posses. I know my dude always has his sword, HEARTSEEKER :black101:, slung behind him.

Oh, that's pretty sweet. There's an HIP trait called Ambidextrous, I hope at some point they modify the inventory system so if you have that trait and a certain level of personal combat ability/the Duelist trait, you can equip a weapon in each hand and go Gannicus some fools :black101:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Nah dude, use them both. Like together. It's the best thing ever. The compatch that makes these two great mods work together is a god send. CK2+ isn't that hard at all.

My shameful secret is that after 200 hours I am still terrible at this game. I just recently managed to wrap my head around conclave... And in EU4 after 500 hours I consider myself decent. Got a long way to go yet..

quote:

You can get prestige from liking dogs in CK2+.

But I am so sold on this :unsmith: I am going to give these two mods a spin.

Also there's supposedly some pet events in vanilla but I literally never had them though sometimes it feels like I have seen most events.

Oh and some time ago I got a visit by an old lady asking for refuge from the cold night but she turned out to be Death coming for my rear end, so since then I never let anyone in my castle. gently caress people.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

TorakFade posted:

Oh and some time ago I got a visit by an old lady asking for refuge from the cold night but she turned out to be Death coming for my rear end, so since then I never let anyone in my castle. gently caress people.

Bad move. Death will still come for you, but you'll be at a disadvantage since he/she starts off pissed with you. The way the Chess With Death event works, is that you have a chess score that you build up across the various decisions, and if it's high enough at the end you win. If you're nice to Death before the reveal (i.e. welcome Death into your home or at least pay for an inn), you start with a small bonus to your chess score

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Kaza42 posted:

Bad move. Death will still come for you, but you'll be at a disadvantage since he/she starts off pissed with you. The way the Chess With Death event works, is that you have a chess score that you build up across the various decisions, and if it's high enough at the end you win. If you're nice to Death before the reveal (i.e. welcome Death into your home or at least pay for an inn), you start with a small bonus to your chess score

Crap. So the leper I sent away and never seen again was just a poor leper after all? I feel bad now.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Been playing HIP with almost every module turned and uh. Yeah. The new map is bloated as gently caress. Why did they feel Gelre needed to be a three-county duchy?

Of course the province spam means my little custom kingdom of Friesland is able to hold its own against the Karling clowncar. Probably helps that they've been subjected to some horrific border gore as a result of my 42 intrigue satanist king repeatedly murdering them :devil:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Bloody Pom posted:

Been playing HIP with almost every module turned and uh. Yeah. The new map is bloated as gently caress. Why did they feel Gelre needed to be a three-county duchy?

I absolutely love certain parts of HIP, but EMF is really the only module you need, with the ARKO shield pack and the better textures mod to your taste. SWMH is pretty bad, and the ARKO UI is completely useless.

Thank loving god VIET Events is dead, just imagine nine or ten variations of this exact joke over and over again, mixed in with some retarded bullshit the creator saw in an anime once:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Dunno, at this point it won't be surprising if half the VIET joke events turn up in the next official DLC.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Man, new secret religion stuff looks great, though I am a bit sad I can't just add "Secretly_religion" to a buncha people, then have them form cults in random kingdoms; that was pretty fun.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
So playing a fun game that started out as the only catholic king in Spain in the Charlemagne start, promptly got umayyad'd, then started as his only vassal that survived the purge, converted to Islam and then joined satandom. Playing with random starts for all the events, and the aztecs showed up in 829, leaving me and another guys as the only Muslim landholders in Spain area. Neat!

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Yeah I'm really glad members of secret cults will try harder to recruit.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Jedit posted:

When this happens it's usually because your chancellor has been busily sucking Muslim dick for 25 years. As soon as the Caliph dies his heir will lose all the positive modifiers and revoke you. I'd be prepared to break away before then, or go Secret Zorro.

Actually after the caliph kicked the bucket the new one decided to go back to None title recovation and abolished the council. Uh... okay. I can't see anything going wrong here.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Man, new secret religion stuff looks great, though I am a bit sad I can't just add "Secretly_religion" to a buncha people, then have them form cults in random kingdoms; that was pretty fun.

I'm not sure how exactly they'll do it, but I bet you can still do it anyway someway through the console. Maybe a character modifier or something.

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

Nah dude, use them both. Like together. It's the best thing ever. The compatch that makes these two great mods work together is a god send. CK2+ isn't that hard at all. You can get prestige from liking dogs in CK2+.

I'm not sure if it's a vanilla event or CK2+ but after a ridiculous amount of time I finally risked keeping a dog and cat at the same time and discovered pet best friends is a real trait. Good omen for a good Sultan (with good pets)

This is the first I'm hearing of RaW and that sounds awesome - I was just thinking in my last game that there is just nothing of interest going on in the building system and it's kind of a drag

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

ninjahedgehog posted:

Thank loving god VIET Events is dead, just imagine nine or ten variations of this exact joke over and over again, mixed in with some retarded bullshit the creator saw in an anime once:

I've never understood the white-hot rage this event causes in CK2 goons. It's just a dumb joke.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

EightDeer posted:

I've never understood the white-hot rage this event causes in CK2 goons. It's just a dumb joke.

Oh, I enjoy a dick joke as much as anyone (and to be fair, medieval people did too), but in this isn't even a good or original dick joke, and this event alone makes the exact same dick joke five times in a row. And even that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, but the VIET events module added literally nothing but dick jokes, anime references, and worthless event spam like "I was taking a poo poo in the woods and I saw something shiny on the ground! (+1.00 gold)" or "I was taking a piss and some dribbled down my leg! (-1.00 prestige)". It's not that it was broken or offensive or anything, it was just a completely and utterly worthless mod that came in a bundle with a couple of really good mods.

EDIT: where did my life go so wrong that I'm defending my distaste for a defunct dick joke mod for a mapgame on an internet forum I pay for :smith:

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 28, 2017

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

ninjahedgehog posted:

EDIT: where did my life go so wrong that I'm defending my distaste for a defunct dick joke mod for a mapgame on an internet forum I pay for :smith:

For me it began in high school after getting into ck1.

You kids and your lps. I remember when we called them AARS.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Man, sometimes I think I'm the only goon who likes SWMH :smith: It's a good map and they even got rid of all the stupid oasis provinces!

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Soup du Jour posted:

Man, sometimes I think I'm the only goon who likes SWMH :smith: It's a good map and they even got rid of all the stupid oasis provinces!

My trouble with it is that it's too much, too reminiscent of eu's death and taxes and it's squiggly provinces. Hell, sometimes I find ck2+'s map kinda dumb; why does Iceland need 4 provinces?

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

My trouble with it is that it's too much, too reminiscent of eu's death and taxes and it's squiggly provinces. Hell, sometimes I find ck2+'s map kinda dumb; why does Iceland need 4 provinces?

Because five is too many and three is too few.

That said I stopped liking CK2+ when I saw they made Nomads annoying with religion/culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

EightDeer posted:

Goons are sophisticated intellectuals whose humor is only satisfied by jokes involving allusions to Classical Greece, and preferably requiring fluency of at least English, French, and Latin to comprehend.

• Locked thread