Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Maybe you can play on softcore if you want to log out to avoid danger. I know, it seems nonintuitive for you, but just think about it.

Hardcore is more about, I don't know, risk and facing danger, not downloading a macro to quit the game for you if you're about to die. Then you're just playing SC with a small chance to delete your character if you forget to turn your macro on or get oneshot by not reading mob types

Important to note that we're just discussing a macro that performs the actions to click the logout button when you press the key. Anything that will automatically trigger when you are going to die is not allowed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Maybe you can play on softcore if you want to log out to avoid danger. I know, it seems nonintuitive for you, but just think about it.

Hardcore is more about, I don't know, risk and facing danger, not downloading a macro to quit the game for you if you're about to die. Then you're just playing SC with a small chance to delete your character if you forget to turn your macro on or get oneshot by not reading mob types

i think you're confused, friend, macros that automatically log you out are against the rules

what a lot of people use is a shortcut key that logs you out when you press it. well, i mean, pussies use that. not like my man, pohx.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MMF Freeway posted:

Important to note that we're just discussing a macro that performs the actions to click the logout button when you press the key. Anything that will automatically trigger when you are going to die is not allowed.
He's perfectly aware and is just liquidating logoutcore memes before FoO causes market crash.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i run maps in a state of extreme anxiety and terror at all times like all proper traditional hc players

Praxis Prion
Apr 11, 2002

The sky is a landfill.
Pillbug

Venuz Patrol posted:

i run maps in a state of extreme anxiety and terror at all times like all proper traditional hc players

It's the only proper way to play. Game gets boring otherwise.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Venuz Patrol posted:

That's what it's about tbh

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

scuz posted:

Oooo, that sounds fun. I have cleave for AOE, but I'll try out melee splash and see how I like that.

Try Sunder - Melee Phys - Fortify - Concentrated Effect for your aoe skill.

As an alternative for lab (or even permanently,) run with the Sunder as your main skill and swap the double strike for a 4 link Warchief. Sunder also let's you hit from further away while your totem fights Izaro, making the fight much safer

Some combination of Warchief - Melee Phys/added fire/faster attacks/concentrated effect. Whatever gives you a higher tooltip. If you don't enjoy the playstyle you can go back to what you were doing before once you're done with Lab

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I agree with rodent

:psyduck:

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Praxis Prion posted:

It's the only proper way to play. Game gets boring otherwise.

Nah, cause on SC you can play builds that you would otherwise avoid because they are too death prone. Unless you're a hardcore player who likes dying in their 80's every time then maybe you play those builds. :shrug:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The Broletariat posted:

Pretty sure it doesn't work like this. Totems can't benefit from offensive auras, only defensive ones (inspirational is an aura).

I'm not sure if Inspirational is included in that, because nothing else explains the damage I do or why I do more damage than a Chieftain warchief guy would.

If it doesn't apply to totems then Champion gives me 35% increased damage, 40% increased damage, and 58% increased damage. Chieftain would give me 16% enemy increased damage taken, 20% phys added as fire, 20% increased fire and 10% fire penetration. This basically amounts to 26% More Damage + 20% Increased + 5% pen (half my damage is fire, half phys) which should outweigh 135% Increased on a build that already has over 800% increased and no More.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 27, 2017

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Holyshoot posted:

I can't quote you cause your link is way too loving long lechtansi but that video is misleading. It should be titled "Person who never plays video games but says they do playing poe". Your average gamer will at least know to equip a weapon. Might as well have put donald trump in front of the video game he would perform the same and you can't call him an average gamer. And I'm surprised projectpt has a friend.

I have no idea who project PTAs, because I started playing after he quit, but after watching the video I am also surprised that he has a friend.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Lechtansi posted:

I have no idea who project PTAs, because I started playing after he quit, but after watching the video I am also surprised that he has a friend.
He's a massive "true hardcore" nerdlord who got so outraged with the Xbox 1 announcement that he did quit the game altogether to play World of Warcraft on a vanilla private server or something.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

deep dish peat moss posted:

I'm not sure if Inspirational is included in that, because nothing else explains the damage I do or why I do more damage than a Chieftain warchief guy would.

If it doesn't apply to totems then Champion gives me 35% increased damage, 40% increased damage, and 58% increased damage. Chieftain would give me 16% enemy increased damage taken, 20% phys added as fire, 20% increased fire and 10% fire penetration. This basically amounts to 26% More Damage + 20% Increased + 5% pen (half my damage is fire, half phys) which should outweigh 135% Increased on a build that already has over 800% increased and no More.

Assuming you haven't changed anything in your build since yesterday when you made your initial post, I plugged in your build into PoB:

Notice that Inspirational is only listed once. If I were to add another 35% for Inspirational double-dipping with the totem (451% increased), tooltip DPS jumps up to 146405.7

Pretty sure Broletariat is right.

vvv Fair enough, but it does do a poo poo load of math so I don't have to and its tooltip DPS is closer to what moss posted without that extra 35% than with it.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 27, 2017

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

whypick1 posted:

Notice that Inspirational is only listed once. If I were to add another 35% for Inspirational double-dipping with the totem (451% increased), tooltip DPS jumps up to 146405.7

While you (and Broletariat) might be right, I would be very careful of using PoB as an authority on PoE mechanics questions. It's just a dude who does the best he can with what he knows, not an official application.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

He's a massive "true hardcore" nerdlord who got so outraged with the Xbox 1 announcement that he did quit the game altogether to play World of Warcraft on a vanilla private server or something.

also quit because GGG doesn't' care about PVP.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

hardcore is about playing a mode without botting and paying for it by sometimes ripping your character

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Botting? That's the first I've heard of that concern on PoE.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Salvor_Hardin posted:

There's a shitton of botting in softcore.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Salvor_Hardin posted:

There was an entire guild banned for hitting not even a month ago. It is trivial to do in softcore.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

There was an entire guild banned for hitting not even a month ago. It is trivial to do in softcore.

To be fair, hitting isnt very nice.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

TheRat posted:

To be fair, hitting isnt very nice.
Google :argh:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

whypick1 posted:

Assuming you haven't changed anything in your build since yesterday when you made your initial post, I plugged in your build into PoB:

vvv Fair enough, but it does do a poo poo load of math so I don't have to and its tooltip DPS is closer to what moss posted without that extra 35% than with it.

My world is shattered and I'm back to not knowing why my build is as good as it is :smith:

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I got my LL RF Guardian up to maps, but he's basically going nowhere without a Shav's. :mad: Solaris Lorica lets me run poo poo but my ES is just over 5k, which is neither enough killing power nor durability. I can do low yellow maps and I cut through trash super fast, but it's too slow on bosses.

It's an interesting build that gets both killing power and survivability from ES, I just wish Shav's was cheaper. I could probably just run it without reserving life (I'd just lose an extra aura for now), a decent ES chest and a life flask for chaos damage, so maybe I'll try that out for a bit.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

My world is shattered and I'm back to not knowing why my build is as good as it is :smith:

Ancestral warchief is a really good skill lol. This is like being confused why flameblast is killing everything with decent gear

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

theshim posted:

I got my LL RF Guardian up to maps, but he's basically going nowhere without a Shav's. :mad: Solaris Lorica lets me run poo poo but my ES is just over 5k, which is neither enough killing power nor durability. I can do low yellow maps and I cut through trash super fast, but it's too slow on bosses.

It's an interesting build that gets both killing power and survivability from ES, I just wish Shav's was cheaper. I could probably just run it without reserving life (I'd just lose an extra aura for now), a decent ES chest and a life flask for chaos damage, so maybe I'll try that out for a bit.

5k sounds incredibly low for an RF guardian. I had more than that on a srs necro (also with solaris lorica). I think you should spend a few chaos on upgrading your other gear first.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Bob NewSCART posted:

Ancestral warchief is a really good skill lol. This is like being confused why flameblast is killing everything with decent gear

It's not about killing everything, it's about taking a fraction of the time to kill things that my vortexer with more boss DPS did before I ditched that character, my DoTs hit harder than vortex ever did and according to PoB I should only be doing about 40k DoT DPS where it had my vortex dots at around 300k DPS

theshim
May 1, 2012

TheRat posted:

5k sounds incredibly low for an RF guardian. I had more than that on a srs necro (also with solaris lorica). I think you should spend a few chaos on upgrading your other gear first.
I spent a couple chaos, but I probably need to commit some more for it. Take a look and feel free to recommend stuff :https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/theshim/characters Character is shimOhGodItBurnsAaagh

Rainbowstride (though I loathe running boots without movespeed and anything with it and good ES gets stupid expensive) and that sapphire ring are probably the biggest offenders and I really need to replace a couple old jewels from leveling.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

theshim posted:

I spent a couple chaos, but I probably need to commit some more for it. Take a look and feel free to recommend stuff :https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/theshim/characters Character is shimOhGodItBurnsAaagh

Rainbowstride (though I loathe running boots without movespeed and anything with it and good ES gets stupid expensive) and that sapphire ring are probably the biggest offenders and I really need to replace a couple old jewels from leveling.

I think the biggest offender is your shield. You need a good es shield with leo craft on it. You cant really afford to sacrifice both shield AND chest slot. I also would focus more on es on tree than life until I had presence of chayula.

E: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1816656 seems like a very solid guide for Lowlife RF guardian.
E2: Though I suppose you need the life you have on tree for the regen anyway.

TheRat fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 27, 2017

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Go stand in front of the merciless dried lake portal for a while

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

theshim posted:

You should buy a witchfire brew. It boosts your damage by a lot.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I have 7.9k ES on my LL RF Guardian with Solaris Lorica and Rise of the Phoenix. Get three of the life to mana conversion jewels and slot them in the travel jewel slots in Scion area that you should have and overlap with hybrid life nodes - each should add about 200 ES to your pool by themselves.

Toss in the following gear:
Bated Breath or Ascent from Flesh belt
Ephemeral Edge sword
Shaper's Touch gloves
Sin Trek boots
Rando 300ish rare ES hat

That's what I've been using up through T9 maps while I save up for a Shavs. My lack of stun mitigation is annoying, but I still need my uber lab points for the block/temp stun immunity ascendancy points.

Edit: the jewels are the 1alch Healthy Minds; I didnt have the name up when I first wrote this post

whydirt fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 27, 2017

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

whydirt posted:

I have 7.9k ES on my LL RF Guardian with Solaris Lorica and Rise of the Phoenix. Get three of the life to mana conversion jewels and slot them in the travel jewel slots in Scion area that you should have and overlap with hybrid life nodes - each should add about 200 ES to your pool by themselves.

3xEnergy from within costs more than a shavs.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

TheRat posted:

3xEnergy from within costs more than a shavs.

Good thing that's not what I recommended!

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

whoops!

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Lechtansi posted:

ProjectPT turns off all the tutorials, sits next to his friend whose never played an ARPG before and watches him play POE. It goes about as well as expected (hint: he doesn't know to pick up the starting weapon and proceeds to spend 10 minutes punching zombies)

please dont give that insufferable autist views

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.

It's not about killing everything, it's about taking a fraction of the time to kill things that my vortexer with more boss DPS did before I ditched that character, my DoTs hit harder than vortex ever did and according to PoB I should only be doing about 40k DoT DPS where it had my vortex dots at around 300k DPS

It's really easy to get path of building to lie to you about ignite dps with the wrong settings, because the theoretically perfect scenario that it's calculating doesn't happen so often in practice. Especially against guardians and shaper where ignite only lasts 2 seconds, elemental equilibrium isn't likely to proc immediately after your hit. Most of that burn's duration is going to be against 75% fire res rather than -10% unless ball lightning happens to time itself perfectly. If you throw crit or EO in as well, it's even less likely that the stars are going to align.

theshim
May 1, 2012

TheRat posted:

I think the biggest offender is your shield. You need a good es shield with leo craft on it. You cant really afford to sacrifice both shield AND chest slot. I also would focus more on es on tree than life until I had presence of chayula.

E: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1816656 seems like a very solid guide for Lowlife RF guardian.
E2: Though I suppose you need the life you have on tree for the regen anyway.
I was using Yalani's guide primarily, though the trees are nearly identical. And yeah, all the life on my tree is also regen or paths to it. A Leo shield is an idea, I think I actually have a ~300 ES shield lying around that I could pop in there. I'll look into it, though is 20% reduced DoT enough to make up for losing 8 max fire res? Sounds like I'd already need a maxed out Purity of Fire to take that hit.

Mr. Whale posted:

You should buy a witchfire brew. It boosts your damage by a lot.
I actually have one on another character, keep forgetting to switch it over. Don't have +1 curse yet, though, so it'd be between that and Flammability, so less of a huge boost than it might otherwise be.

whydirt posted:

Toss in the following gear:
Bated Breath or Ascent from Flesh belt
Ephemeral Edge sword
Shaper's Touch gloves
Sin Trek boots
Rando 300ish rare ES hat

That's what I've been using up through T9 maps while I save up for a Shavs. My lack of stun mitigation is annoying, but I still need my uber lab points for the block/temp stun immunity ascendancy points.

Edit: the jewels are the 1alch Healthy Minds; I didnt have the name up when I first wrote this post
I was using Bated Breath before and am using Ephemeral Edge now, actually. The real issue I have with using all of this is getting resists capped. Shaper's Touch and Sin Trek both give no resists. I'm also not in a hurry to replace my gloves because of the essence crafted +30% more damage for RF. I could use a helmet there but it's a lot harder to get a good one with the craft and I got pretty damned lucky with the roll I did on my gloves (though admittedly I could make up a good chunk of change by selling them).

Good call on the Healthy Mind jewels, though! I'll grab a couple of those, and probably spec back into the Melding cluster again.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Essence craft gloves/helmet should be one of your last item stops, imo. They're obviously nice, but as my experience has shown are unnecessary through at least yellow maps. If Shaper's Touch gloves increase your ES pool by 10% over the rare gloves you're only losing 20% damage while also gaining more total HP and defensive regen.

Resists shouldn't be a huge challenge to cap as LL RF. Rise plus Purity basically caps fire by itself. While you save up for the gear to run two actual auras on life, run one 35% aura and a mid-level Clarity on blood magic to make sure you're hitting actually low life status to be ignite immune and get the extra fire res. Running at least one other purity (and eventually both) with all the aura effect nodes should make hitting your resists pretty easy. Do you have both of the 8% all-res ES hybrid nodes in Templar and Shadow areas?

whydirt fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 27, 2017

theshim
May 1, 2012

whydirt posted:

Essence craft gloves/helmet should be one of your last item stops, imo. They're obviously nice, but as my experience has shown are unnecessary through at least yellow maps. If Shaper's Touch gloves increase your ES pool by 10% over the rare gloves you're only losing 20% damage while also gaining more total HP and defensive regen.

Resists shouldn't be a huge challenge to cap as LL RF. Rise plus Purity basically caps fire by itself. Running at least one other purity (and eventually both) with all the aura effect nodes should make hitting your resists pretty easy. Do you have both of the 8% all-res ES hybrid nodes in Templar and Shadow areas?
I actually don't. I really feel like I'm being stretched super thin across the tree as is :( I wasn't even pathing over to the Shadow one and the Templar one is a few points that I keep looking at and deciding I need elsewhere.

Although yeah, I can run Purities, I dumb. Still can only run one aura on life right now, so I'm capped at four auras, and two are Discipline and PoF. I'm technically not even LL yet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

See my edit about Clarity. You don't need the mana regen, but it gives you the extra life regen and phys resist from Guardian and let's you hit actual LL for Rise bonuses.

Post your dude profile and I can give more specific advice. If don't have either of those ES/resist clusters, you probably have some points not being used well.

whydirt fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 27, 2017

• Locked thread