Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Lakbay posted:

How did the Steam Controller turn out

I like it but it's divisive at best. The amount of control you've got over the behavior of the controller is impressive, and if you yourself don't want to futz with those menus there's a pretty large library of community-made profiles for most games.

That said it's oddly shaped and the touchpads are still a bit weird. I've heard from fighting game enthusiasts that it's very poorly suited for those games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lakbay posted:

How did the Steam Controller turn out

Eh, I don't like it, but I can see what they were going for and I can see the appeal for some people. I'm maybe not the right audience because I don't really feel the need to play mouse-based games on my TV, though. (My girlfriend uses it as her official controller for Ultimate Chicken Horse and Overcooked because, and I quote, "Nobody will ever steal it.")

I think if I wasn't already so used to Xbox controller and DualShocks I might like it a bit more, but as it is, ehhh. Not my best purchase.

Dr Cheeto posted:

I like it but it's divisive at best. The amount of control you've got over the behavior of the controller is impressive, and if you yourself don't want to futz with those menus there's a pretty large library of community-made profiles for most games.

That said it's oddly shaped and the touchpads are still a bit weird. I've heard from fighting game enthusiasts that it's very poorly suited for those games.

I think what I like the least about it, even aside from the shape (which is odd but I could adjust) are the shoulder buttons. They're way too stiff. I tried to play Dark Souls with it and pressing those just got fatiguing. I did, however, really like the paddles on the back. Mapping roll/sprint to one of those was fantastic because it made it really easy to sprint and turn the camera at the same time.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

exquisite tea posted:

I don't understand how people comfortably use dual-stick controls in console FPS games. Like mentally, it just doesn't make sense to me.

you move the stick and it moves the crosshair

also inverted is best

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
also its always fun to get a pc gamer to try and play an fps on a pad and watch

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Harrow posted:

I think what I like the least about it, even aside from the shape (which is odd but I could adjust) are the shoulder buttons. They're way too stiff. I tried to play Dark Souls with it and pressing those just got fatiguing. I did, however, really like the paddles on the back. Mapping roll/sprint to one of those was fantastic because it made it really easy to sprint and turn the camera at the same time.

Yeah, I don't like the shoulders and the triggers always felt a bit goofy to me as well.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Is Witcher 3 better with KBAM on PC or controller on PS4?
I'm nowhere near playing it yet, but for the future I wonder.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

VideoGames posted:

Controller on PC.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Def better with a controller, IMO, but it comes down to your personal preference on keyboard vs. gamepad in the first place.

PC has much better load times.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

VideoGames posted:

like every game, controller on ps4

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it's got a grid based inventory and a heck of a lot of menu screens that i can only imagine are nightmarish to navigate without a mouse cursor

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

VideoGames posted:

Controller on PC is how I played it. I tried kb/m with it but it really felt like it was designed around a controller and I wasn't about to argue. The inventory might have been better with a mouse but it never got in the way with the controller, either.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

well all i can say is i didn't rebind a single default control using keyboard and mouse and it has never caused me a single issue

and may i also say that i really appreciate that while in any given screen you can hit the shortcut key for any other screen and it'll still work more games need to do that

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Cowcaster posted:

it's got a grid based inventory and a heck of a lot of menu screens that i can only imagine are nightmarish to navigate without a mouse cursor

nah its fine, and you get to use a much better control method for everything else in the game as well!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

pc gamer navigating w3 menus: this must feel like satan's birthday to controller gamers... [kisses mouse, then keyboard] absolute power ...

console gamer navigating w3 menus: dang lotta drowner teeth

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

oddium posted:

pc gamer navigating w3 menus: this must feel like satan's birthday to controller gamers... [kisses mouse, then keyboard] absolute power ...

console gamer navigating w3 menus: dang lotta drowner teeth

please don't doxx

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
[looking at keyboard prompts displayed on screen] wow... cant even imagine playing this game on pad, they dont even have a Q key....

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

controllers are vile

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

console gamer: which one's the any key. let's play unmodded Skyrim :D

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Cowcaster posted:

controllers are vile

the only games better with mouse and keyboard are map games

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

hopiko is the one game where a mouse is less precise than a controller. boy do i wish my controller worked with that game

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I'm not a fan of using gamepad for any game that has dual-stick setup but then puts the attacks on face buttons. I dunno if they let you rebind that later or not though for W3, but it immediately made me switch to M&KB.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Stux posted:

[looking at keyboard prompts displayed on screen] wow... cant even imagine playing this game on pad, they dont even have a Q key....

This, but unironically.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

oh nuclear throne is really bad on controller. but some people like it i guess

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Stux posted:

also its always fun to get a pc gamer to try and play an fps on a pad and watch

it's also fun to tie people's shoes together

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

oh nuclear throne is really bad on controller. but some people like it i guess

Ive beaten the throne on pad but never looped. [getting real nervous] definitely the hardwares fault for sure

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I'm not a fan of using gamepad for any game that has dual-stick setup but then puts the attacks on face buttons. I dunno if they let you rebind that later or not though for W3, but it immediately made me switch to M&KB.

u lock on, but anyway ps4 has system level rebinding if you need even if a game doesnt have the option (idk offhand if witcher 3 does or not)

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Console gamer: it's fun to give pc gamers an fps and a controller lol

PC Gamer: oh, so auto-aim is just an on-by-default menu option?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

When I play GTA or Battlefield, I use M+KB on foot and the gamepad when entering vehicles. Mafia III's driving felt so bad (verisimilitude I guess?) that it seemed like it played worse with a gamepad

For games that allow for both controls to work at the same time, I have been thinking about making some wacky control configuration where I hold the left half of a gamepad in my left hand and use a mouse in my right

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Imagine a world where console gamers and PC gamers live in harmony

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Help Im Alive posted:

Only the dead have seen the end of the console wars.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I play both PC and console games and have little trouble swapping between the two.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

When I play GTA or Battlefield, I use M+KB on foot and the gamepad when entering vehicles. Mafia III's driving felt so bad (verisimilitude I guess?) that it seemed like it played worse with a gamepad

For games that allow for both controls to work at the same time, I have been thinking about making some wacky control configuration where I hold the left half of a gamepad in my left hand and use a mouse in my right

Isn't that what the XIM thingy the people in the CoD thread use is? It's $100+

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Help Im Alive posted:

Another finger on the monkey paw curls up as every mouse and controller in the world turn into steam controllers

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

tap my mountain posted:

Another finger on the monkey paw curls up as every mouse and controller in the world turn into steam controllers

Ah, the Synthesis ending.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

How is everyone's day going? I got the Monday blues pretty bad right now, but that's okay.

I've been hitting up my city's Barcade for a few weeks in a row now, and it's been a lot of fun.

I'm not saying Mortal Kombat is the best fighting game series, far from it, but they have an MK1 machine and drat if it's not a fun game in it's own goofy, clunky way (and let's be honest, there's a bit of 90s nostalgia going on with it as well that's making me like it more). I have to take the bus into New York sometime to check out MK2 and UMK3 at the St Mark's one.

Is MKX on the PS4 worth checking out? I'm guessing the online community is pretty dead by now, but I know that it has a story mode and it could make for a fun cheap game for when friends are over.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

MKX has a lot of single player content with tons of unlockables, enough that you could reasonably just spend all your time in the SP without ever going online (which can be hella laggy). I think the first Kombat Pack is baked into the base game now so it comes with additional characters and stuff. I enjoyed it thoroughly for the 50 or so hours I played and the campaign is decently schlocky. If you like MK's particular brand of over the top violence then there's a lot of things to keep you busy.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Also, Barcade has a Nintendo Playchoice machine which is novel but it was obviously meant as a promotional machine and lol at the idea of playing Zelda 1 in a noisy bar and you have to keep putting tokens in for more time

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Earth Table posted:

Is MKX on the PS4 worth checking out? I'm guessing the online community is pretty dead by now, but I know that it has a story mode and it could make for a fun cheap game for when friends are over.

it's up there with some other fighting games as having a large amount of content to do by yourself with trial towers, regular arcade poo poo, story mode, and other fun unlockable stuff.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

MKX has a lot of single player content with tons of unlockables, enough that you could reasonably just spend all your time in the SP without ever going online (which can be hella laggy). I think the first Kombat Pack is baked into the base game now so it comes with additional characters and stuff. I enjoyed it thoroughly for the 50 or so hours I played and the campaign is decently schlocky. If you like MK's particular brand of over the top violence then there's a lot of things to keep you busy.

is there Toasty! tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Earth Table posted:

is there Toasty! tho

Yes

• Locked thread