Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Number Ten Cocks posted:

The Normandy used relays to get between clusters, not star systems. It flew between systems in a cluster with its FTL. The Heleus Cluster where ME:A takes place is a, uh, cluster. You use FTL to fly between systems in that cluster. It's exactly the same as the previous games!

Heleus has a higher than normal percentage of habitable worlds, that's why they picked it and why it has more poo poo going on in it than comparable Milky Way cluster.

Aha, yeah. OK, that makes sense, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

AlternateAccount posted:

I am not sure that you're taking into account how gigantic a galaxy is. I am sure you could find people to go, but the analogy would be the Earth's population in 2000BC saying hey, we COULD sail across this vast ocean and get away and start over, but let's go to the moon instead! It's nonsensical.
And as far as the exploration, I mean more that there are already people on EVERY planet with sidequests for you. The Columbus analogy is pretty apt.

I dunno my dude it sounds like you're just not really listening to me. Just look at the Krogan for an example of why people might want to go some place where the Citadel and the Batarians can't plausibly reach you. The Milky Way has political and historical baggage that limits peoples ability to do their own thing.

And yeah, the people who have sidequests for you on those planets are in 3/5 cases...fellow explorers from the Initiative. I don't see the problem :shrug:

None of the weird stretches of science in Andromeda are anything outrageou compared to the already big leaps the original trilogy asked of me.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
The rule of cool says that going to a different galaxy to explore is a completely sensible and good choice

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
They hammer home how a lot of the people are interested in starting a new society, not just "living in a new place". They want a new galactic order with a new fresh shot at wahtever it is they want to do

The milky way might have some unexplored stuff in it, but it also had all the major civilizations already doing their thing

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Isn't it bullshit that Biotics were fairly grounded gravity control effects in ME1 and then they gradually became straight up space wizardry in 2 and 3

Those hacks

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Also the theme of ME:A is "parade of fuckups." The parade of fuckups that greets Ryder on awakening was great and I wish that had continued into the Angaran storyline, which was really boring to me by comparison.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Tricky Dick Nixon posted:

I mean this is endgame spoilers but the angara have only existed for a few centuries and most of their history relating to the scourge and their own genesis is supposition, when in fact they are an artificial race created likely sometime after we observed the Heleus Cluster (before the Scourge happened). This is also why they have distinct cultures on each of the worlds they were seeded on, and found each other when they mastered spaceflight. There was no evidence of intelligent life in Heleus when observed 600 years ago, and most of the Remnant stuff is dated 400 or so years back when you listen to SAM and read the scanner info.

The point isn't that other civilizations exist in the Heleus cluster, it's that they are all on the same exact technological level using the same weapons as a galaxy 2.5 million light years away, without the previous plot explanation that the Reapers were manipulating their technological progression so that they'd all be on the same footing. It's just another thing that stretches the limits of plausibility so that you're wondering why they went about the business of going to a new galaxy at all, when the only story they were going to tell was darkspawn, but with aliens this time.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I just realized the data of the golden worlds from scans in the Milky Way would have 2.5 million years out of date , not 600.

I hope they fix that in a patch. Unless they correct it later in the game.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

euphronius posted:

I just realized the data of the golden worlds from scans in the Milky Way would have 2.5 million years out of date , not 600.

The initiative was able to view real-time images of the galaxy from 2.5 million light years away by using an FTL telescope built by the Geth out of mass effect relays. So the images ARE only 600 years old.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

euphronius posted:

They mention how they were able to get a "current" look of Andromeda before they leave for it.

Edit: Beaten, but mine was less spoilery!

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Captain Oblivious posted:

Isn't it bullshit that Biotics were fairly grounded gravity control effects in ME1 and then they gradually became straight up space wizardry in 2 and 3

Those hacks

You can still handwave most of them as weird gravity poo poo though.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
While Addison can get spaced for all I care, can I say how much I adore Director Tann as a character. Not just because he's voiced by Kunail Nanjaini, but he's a politician character that obviously has his flaws but isn't just The Worst, though the game's dialogue options often seem to assume you want to hate the guy, but I honestly sympathized with him the most out of the four Nexus leaders a lot of the time. He was after all the guy who took a chance on you to start when nobody else would. Salarians are my favorite race anyway (Kallo and Raeka are also really interesting characters, especially Kallo), but I wished there was more stuff with him and the politics on the Nexus. I would like to see the next games involve a lot more diplomacy and politics now that the initial hump of survival had been gotten over, but we'll see.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Tricky Dick Nixon posted:

I mean this is endgame spoilers but the angara have only existed for a few centuries and most of their history relating to the scourge and their own genesis is supposition, when in fact they are an artificial race created likely sometime after we observed the Heleus Cluster (before the Scourge happened). This is also why they have distinct cultures on each of the worlds they were seeded on, and found each other when they mastered spaceflight. There was no evidence of intelligent life in Heleus when observed 600 years ago, and most of the Remnant stuff is dated 400 or so years back when you listen to SAM and read the scanner info.

If you read the in-game codex you'll find that the Angara were seeded long before Earth even went to space. It's never explicitly stated when they got spaceflight and connected the colonies but everything implies it was before the Andromeda initiative kicked off.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Civilized Fishbot posted:

The initiative was able to view real-time images of the galaxy from 2.5 million light years away by using an FTL telescope built by the Geth out of mass effect relays. So the images ARE only 600 years old.

Good
I'm glad they thought of that

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

I dunno my dude it sounds like you're just not really listening to me. Just look at the Krogan for an example of why people might want to go some place where the Citadel and the Batarians can't plausibly reach you. The Milky Way has political and historical baggage that limits peoples ability to do their own thing.

No, I get it, I just find it difficult to believe that the current galaxy isn't big enough.

Things like this hurt to read.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

euphronius posted:

They used magic Geth custom mass effect arrays to get real time and precise planet data over that distance. It was in one of the prerelease briefing video text pop-ups.

Crap, a pop-up.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
What are the architects supposed to be

I just stumbled onto one and PeeBee shouted OH NO AN ARCHITECT and then nothing

I killed the loving thing and interfaced with it (????) and it flew off and did something (????) WHATS GOING ON

THIS SEEMS TO BE A BIG DEAL WHY IS NO ONE TALKING ABOUT THE HUGE SKYSCRAPER SIZED ROBOT

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

GenericOverusedName posted:

You can still handwave most of them as weird gravity poo poo though.

Including the literal teleporting?

Zzulu posted:

What are the architects supposed to be

I just stumbled onto one and PeeBee shouted OH NO AN ARCHITECT and then nothing

I killed the loving thing and interfaced with it (????) and it flew off and did something (????) WHATS GOING ON

THIS SEEMS TO BE A BIG DEAL WHY IS NO ONE TALKING ABOUT THE HUGE SKYSCRAPER SIZED ROBOT

Big rear end Remnant that probably carved out the Vaults.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

nessin posted:

If you read the in-game codex you'll find that the Angara were seeded long before Earth even went to space. It's never explicitly stated when they got spaceflight and connected the colonies but everything implies it was before the Andromeda initiative kicked off.

Honest mistake then on my part, I think I misinterpreted some stuff, but the lore is somewhat inconsistent when it comes to the Remnant and the angara anyway.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Number Ten Cocks posted:

They used magic Geth custom mass effect arrays to get real time and precise planet data over that distance. It was in one of the prerelease briefing video text pop-ups.

Crap, a pop-up.

Missed that video

Hopefully in andromeda 2 we will time jump to established colonies , we will find "not" mass effect relays , and the Galaxy will open up

Then it will be good times space opera again.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Watching some bored streamer bunnyhop through blue corridors in 'Area 17', shooting at bullet sponge robots/ugly things and occasionally clicking a console.
Might as well be Halo 5 for all I know :smith:

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Crap, a pop-up.

Suvi also explains this in one of the conversations with her.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think with cryo being an established, big plot element, it wouldn't be far-fetched to have Ryder take a nap for an extended amount of time and wake up to a more established setting.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

nessin posted:

What? No.

The codex states that the Angaras history with spaceflight mostly stretches from 2400 CE to the present. The Andromeda Initiative left in 2185 CE. The Angara drama was mostly playing out mid-trip for the AI.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Including the literal teleporting?

I guess it's just letting them travel at light speed. It'd look like teleporting. Look the idea of brute forcing FTL by making massive particles behave as massless is already a lazy and messy way of achieving FTL. Let's not get picky.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Admiral Ray posted:

For real. As an example, Liara was alive during the Reagan years, maybe even during Nixon.

maybe she killed kennedy

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

What? No.

The codex states that the Angaras history with spaceflight mostly stretches from 2400 CE to the present. The Andromeda Initiative left in 2185 CE. The Angara drama was mostly playing out mid-trip for the AI.

When you get the chance you need to re-read it. The date you give for when spaceflight supposedly began is the suspected date for when the Scourge hit and spaceflight ended until they rebuilt.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Regarde Aduck posted:

I guess it's just letting them travel at light speed. It'd look like teleporting. Look the idea of brute forcing FTL by making massive particles behave as massless is already a lazy and messy way of achieving FTL. Let's not get picky.

Achieving short (10 meters or less) range FTL speeds using electrical impulses from the brain sent through weird deposits of Magic Space Rock on the nervous system? What complete hacks came up with this nonsense

(I don't actually care about Biotics being ridiculous that's the point)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

nessin posted:

I'm trying to think of a way to describe the main plot in a way that would get the point across without spoiling it but I can't do it. Best I can come up with is the only thing separating out the bad guy alien race from completing an equivalent reaper like extinction event (of the Milky Way and good guy alien species) from taking place is plot armor. In game you see they have the ability to do it, that is their stated goal, and basically can do it at a moments notice. They just don't.

lmao

I saw someone's synopsis of the ending already, no worries. It's very obvious it's the Halo 4 guy.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Is there a Hard Sci-Fi space game, because you nerds should go play that instead. I never hear anyone arguing about why there are walking mushrooms and fire breathing turtle-mans in Super Mario Brothers.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

nessin posted:

When you get the chance you need to re-read it. The date you give for when spaceflight supposedly began is the suspected date for when the Scourge hit and spaceflight ended until they rebuilt.

The codex gives the impression that the Scourge hit only shortly after they'd attained inter-planetary colonization capabilities, is why I used that date.

As per the Codex, Angaran history is portrayed as a cycle of getting kicked in the nuts every time things start going well for them :v:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Serf posted:

Everything about the Andromeda Initiative as presented is dumb. It's dumb to strike out for a new galaxy when the Milky Way is full of unexplored and inaccessible places. It's even dumber that the whole thing was cooked up by a stupid, rich human roughly twenty minutes after they activated the Charon Relay. If it had been some long-running Council project that the humans managed to scrape their way into getting into, that would make more sense. That it was a private endeavor where a human somehow got asari, salarians and turians to go along with her plans is the dumbest loving thing.

Isn't it pretty much stated in the ME universe that Humans are insanely ambitious. Which is the reason why this cycle was the one that broke the reapers.(I mean unless you Refuse...)

Humans always wanted more and all of the other races in the galaxy plateaued at Prothean and the levels the Reapers allowed races to reach. Asari just coasted as the top power because they were lucky enough to have direct contact with the Protheans who taught them and gave them tech drat near directly.

Quarians probably were the most like the Humans in terms of development and tech, But they created AI, it went real bad and then proceeded to put a cap on their own development for obvious reasons.

Also there are plenty of cases IRL of charismatic people getting all sorts of other types of people to buy into whatever crazy bullshit they believe. Cult of Personality is a real thing.

euphronius posted:

They explain it away by saying that they got more current readings by utilizing an FTL scan from a Relay they found the geth creating in dark space or something.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I don't know if this bug has been mentioned because I don't want to read the 12000 posts since I last came here but I managed to romance both Peebee and Suvi and instead of getting a scene where they called me out for being a shithead, I instead got a glitch sure they merged into one person on the couch with me during movie night and what I assumed should have been the dramatic final conversation before fighting the Archon was Peebee staring at me in silence while Ryder answered questions nobody asked and twisted her head around to impossible angles.

since I also romanced Reyes I got the trophy for doing three romances across multiple playthroughs which apparently only 0.1% of people have so go me.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Dexo posted:

Isn't it pretty much stated in the ME universe that Humans are insanely ambitious. Which is the reason why this cycle was the one that broke the reapers.(I mean unless you Refuse...)

Humans always wanted more and all of the other races in the galaxy plateaued at Prothean and the levels the Reapers allowed races to reach. Asari just coasted as the top power because they were lucky enough to have direct contact with the Protheans who taught them and gave them tech drat near directly.

Quarians probably were the most like the Humans in terms of development and tech, But they created AI, it went real bad and then proceeded to put a cap on their own development for obvious reasons.

Also there are plenty of cases IRL of charismatic people getting all sorts of other types of people to buy into whatever crazy bullshit they believe. Cult of Personality is a real thing.

I think that, since humans wrote the game, we may be a little biased as to our importance in galactic affairs.

Also, Cults of Personality are a thing, but I'm not sure how well charisma works across species. Especially when your species has a lifespan comparable to a cat to the people you're trying to sway. This was a problem I had with the original Mass Effect games as well, but it has no bearing on the actual game itself.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Baron Corbyn posted:

I don't know if this bug has been mentioned because I don't want to read the 12000 posts since I last came here but I managed to romance both Peebee and Suvi and instead of getting a scene where they called me out for being a shithead, I instead got a glitch sure they merged into one person on the couch with me during movie night and what I assumed should have been the dramatic final conversation before fighting the Archon was Peebee staring at me in silence while Ryder answered questions nobody asked and twisted her head around to impossible angles.

since I also romanced Reyes I got the trophy for doing three romances across multiple playthroughs which apparently only 0.1% of people have so go me.

There are some romances in this game that are meant to be non-exclusive flings, and PeeBee can be one of them depending on how you proceed but that sounds like a bug yeah.

Serf posted:

I think that, since humans wrote the game, we may be a little biased as to our importance in galactic affairs.

Also, Cults of Personality are a thing, but I'm not sure how well charisma works across species. Especially when your species has a lifespan comparable to a cat to the people you're trying to sway. This was a problem I had with the original Mass Effect games as well, but it has no bearing on the actual game itself.

I can't say no to my cat, so pretty well by all indications here on Earth.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Regarde Aduck posted:

That's the theory behind a popular life model for ftl. You need massless particles to make it work.

(Alcubierre drive)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

SubponticatePoster posted:

I've been running a Disciple with the homing mod/mag size, then picked every skill evolution that gives me cooldown reduction. Disciple is light to begin with and I'm almost down to ME3's stupidly low cooldowns - close to 200%. The homing mod makes it so as long as you fire in the general direction of your target it will hit them. I've been using singularity as a primer, though I just put some points into incinerate to try that out as a secondary primer. I don't take damage because charge is up about every 3 seconds and the biotic explosions are ragdolling everything that doesn't outright die.
It's weird to me that homing is just a mod you can put on a traditional ME weapon, since the homing weapons like the Geth shotgun worked off of entirely different technology (launching toroids that flash-cook the air into plasma on impact).

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dexo posted:

A banter conversation between Drack and Peebee actually touches on how their species, being long-lived, have a tendency to sort of "give up" after a certain period where progress and learning isn't important anymore, and being the product of a very old (in asari terms) mother and an elcor father basically drove her to be who she was today. It helped put her otherwise obnoxious character into relief for me, but also is pretty believable in how stagnant asari society, at least, becomes because they have such a long living memory that there isn't much ability for people to break the old order, its had centuries to entrench itself. Generational overturn is a big driver for progress, as the salarians show, but their own shorter-lifespans and Byzantine political structure hamstrung their progress in other ways, with less institutional memory. Quarians, humans, and to a lesser extent turians were the spaces that hit that sweet spot for advancement (a lot of human tech is accelerated by cooperation with the Turian Hierarchy).

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Serf posted:

Think Pyramid Scheme oh I'm sorry Multi Level Marketing.

Lets say that Great Human Leader person is able to convince Pathfinders of the other races. Or other popular people of other races to buy in. Then those people can make the sell to their own people who can convince others etc etc.

All you need to do is create a well loved leadership brass, need maybe like 7 or so, and after that you can just bring on pencil pushing assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BTW are there any geth or quarians or anything in the game or is it just the council races and Krogan?