Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Sam goes to commune with the Robo-Angels in Robo-heaven.

Is that a giant communion wafer next to him?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Travis Knight of Laika is directing the 2018 Bumblebee movie.

http://deadline.com/2017/03/bumblebee-movie-travis-knight-director-kubo-and-the-two-strings-1202034882/

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Well, if nothing else, Laika is incredibly talented at making thematically hideous films by accident. Seems like an interesting fit, maybe even a good one.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/Borys_Kit/status/837475777566236672

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

New footage from Kid's Choice Awards, featuring Isabelle Morner and friends running away from a Metal Gear and getting some help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOR-Av4qG1A

edit:
A trailer too, focusing on her character, but it's recorded with a phone from a TV screen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH32pAbgrUw

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Mar 12, 2017

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I am really, really looking forward to reading a thinkpiece on how this movie is 'too PC' thus eroding that term's last shred of meaning.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Snowman_McK posted:

I am really, really looking forward to reading a thinkpiece on how this movie is 'too PC' thus eroding that term's last shred of meaning.

You read the comments on the video, didn't you?

Better version of that trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izwi_ahOb20

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

The MSJ posted:

You read the comments on the video, didn't you?

Better version of that trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izwi_ahOb20

I did not. I no longer have to. It's like being Cassandra, except I can just predict who commentors are going to call oval office-human being-friend of the family. It kind of sucks.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Extended Kid's Choice Awards trailer. 90 seconds longer with more new footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW1byMeeZNA

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

The MSJ posted:

Extended Kid's Choice Awards trailer. 90 seconds longer with more new footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW1byMeeZNA

1. I liked the bit with Megatron (?) sliding down a slope to sucker punch Optimus.
2. The plot description on the trailer is interesting. Optimus finds out he killed Cybertron and there's an artefact on Earth that he could use to restore it? It feels like a bit of a red herring.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
God I want Michael Bay to do a Mazinger movie.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

tformers.com went for a set visit and have spoilers to report.

quote:

We've got more info in tonight from BaCon who's been spending the day on a special Paramount tour. A more thorough report will be coming soon, but for now we have some more tidbits to share that were revealed during the previews and other special happenings. At least some of this had been known previously, though the reveals were spread out quite a bit. Keep reading for recaps and new info, but beware of spoilers if you're worried about the plot!

The robot assistant for the Anthony Hopkins character was shown as a new Transformer. He's described as having a subservient personality, but being capable of becoming violent.

There is a human group hunting down Transformers. They're said to use drones, and mecha like the walking robots from the trailers to help in their operations. On a related note, as had been noted from the recent trailers, the unknown yellow robot that gets shot down is called Canopy. If you listen to the trailer, Izabella is saying its name.

An interesting new piece of info we've gotten reveals that five Cybertronians were part of the Knights of The Roundtable. Lead by a certain well-known Knight.

Also a WWI type tank Transformer was seen as Hopkins' guard. He is a British bot that is bombastic and funny with quirks and parts falling off.

Additionally, we saw some really really big space ships that appear to tie into the medieval aspects of the film.

We also understand that there is little lead-in for the movie, apparently going in to a major battle sequence within the first minute or so of the film start.

The footage shown for this fan event was not a trailer, but more of a sizzle reel with lots of short clips that are not fully indicative of the film. This footage will reportedly be screened also at CinemaCon in Las Vegas near the end of this month and should be released world wide on April 4th.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

"but being capable of becoming violent."

He's a Cybertronian! Given what we've seen, I don't think there needs to be a 'but' there! :v:

Film is still on track to sounding completely bizarre.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

New poster:

Motion posters of characters in the movie collected into one video. It's the first time we get to see Hot Rod and Cogman in motion.

http://i.imgur.com/bmA8fqf.mp4

http://i.imgur.com/QF3ZY6S.mp4

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Mar 23, 2017

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

"For his poster, have him rise up with one, or preferably two, unnecessary backflips."

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

CinemaCon footage report.

quote:

Michael Bay casually revealed to us in his office that Steven Spielberg, the legend himself, was involved on some level with the story aspect of The Last Knight, which I don't think has happened since the first movie. We weren't told much about his involvement, which Bay brought up matter-of-factly, but I got the impression that Spielberg was involved at least during the process with the writers room on some level. For how long? I don't know, but it was nice to know that he was once again involved with the storyline aspect of the Transformers film franchise.

The footage we were shown opens in the middle of an epic battle during Medieval Times, waged by two opposing forces. Bayhem literally begins from the moment the movie starts. If it's going to be a film directed by Michael Bay, we might as well embrace the Bayhem and enjoy the ride. Earlier in the day, while we were at Bay Films, Michael Bay showed us some behind the scenes footage of this opening sequence that was really cool to see. There's a pivotal human character, none other than Merlin, who was rather entertaining and fun to watch. The dragon Transformer that was seen in previous trailers is simply massive and the scene where he is flying near the cliff has been completed more (such as a moment where his wing splashes into the water). The dragon Transformer is the secret weapon, or one of the weapons, used to turn the tide for the "good" guys during the initial battle. After the battle, we are shown the Knights of the Roundtable accompanied by the Cybertronian Knights.

The entire Medieval Times battle sequence is some of what Michael Bay does best ... massive epic battles, beautiful scenery, all-out action, and humor. Wait until you see some of these shots on IMAX screens. It was a spectacular setup for what looks to be an extremely exciting movie. If anything, The Last Knight appears to be the ultimate culmination of Michael Bay working on the Transformers franchise for at least 12 years.

One of the things I'm most excited about that Bay stressed multiple times, is that this is a real 3D movie. The Last Knight was shot with specialized 3D cameras. He stressed adamantly that the best way to see The Last Knight will be in 3D on an IMAX screen. This is the real deal, unlike other Hollywood films where the 3D experience is done in post production. The film has been made with the IMAX 3D viewing experience in mind. He sold me on the idea while we were at Bay Films, especially after seeing this sneak peek at IMAX Headquarters. The scenes we were shown looked beautiful in a very dramatic and eye-catching way that fans should come to expect from Michael Bay.

A group of 4 boys who are at the destroyed Football Stadium, transitions to Canopy protecting Izabella (Isabela Moner) and her friends, Canopy is all that Izabella has left after her family was lost during the Chicago battle, Bumblebee and Cade saves the day. Canopy is a tertiary character who seemed to literally transform into a junk covered "canopy", or shelter, to provide protection to Izabella and the boys from the Movie Trailer exploring the destroyed football stadium. Transformers seem to be a regular thing on Earth now.

We also got to see a few extended scenes between Cade and Grimlock at the Junkyard, which I presume is owned by or worked at by Cade. If you were hoping to see Grimlock be the Autobot Leader type we all know him to rightfully be, it doesn't seem that we will be seeing him in that capacity here, at least not in the scenes that I saw. A new human friend or co-worker of Cade is introduced to us, who I think is played by Jerrod Carmichael, though I didn't get his character's name. I rather liked his character, he seemed to provide a way for the audience to connect more with what has been thrust upon these characters. A very tense and action packed chase scene unfolds with Cade, Izabella, and Jerrod Carmichael's character being chased by flying drones that look kind of like miniature Tie Fighters. I don't know or can't remember if these are TRF drones, but I'm assuming they are. At some point they encounter Cogman in an elevator, while trying to escape the drones. A drone attacks Cade, smashing him out of the glass window in the elevator, which leads to some pretty tense moments as our hero attempts to survive his fall. Eventually on the ground, Cogman introduces himself, Crosshairs and Bumblebee enter the scene, Cogman shows that he's pretty badass despite being shorter than an average human.

When Bumblebee and Cade Yeager approach the castle (house?) of Sir Edmond Burton (Anthony Hopkins), they are "accidentally" attacked by an old, senile tank Transformer from WWI era. After brief introductions and an apology from Sir Edmond Burton, Burton says something along the lines of "You want to know why the Transformers keep coming to Earth, don't you?" Implying that he seems to know why. Shortly thereafter, a much reluctant Vivian Wembley (Laura Haddock) is brought to Burton's castle via Hot Rod.

Here's a teaser for you guys that I'm sure longtime Transformers fans will appreciate, despite the different twist: so apparently Cogman is a Headmaster. Anthony Hopkins even called him so in the footage we saw. Michael Bay told us at Bay Studios that he was a Headmaster, and when asked to clarify, Bay said that Cogman rips off other Transformers heads and then becomes their head. I'm not sure if this was something I am supposed to talk about or not, but I think it's something that Transformers fans will really appreciate, especially with the current popularity of Titans Return. So, a slightly different twist on the concept, but a Headmaster nonetheless apparently. We didn't see footage of Cogman actually doing this, however. Voice actor for Cogman is the butler guy from Dowton Abbey.

Megatron and the Decepticons were missing from the footage we saw, minus their appearances in some carryover scenes from previous TLK trailers that were shown at the end of this footage montage. I suggested to Michael Bay that the footage be altered to include Megatron, so hopefully the final version of this CinemaCon footage will include some of Megatron and/or the Decepticons. However, if it doesn't, I'm assuming that is intentional because of the current marketing spin shown in this lithograph poster we received that includes the saying "Every Legend Has Its Secret", and shows the symbol from the sword melting into the Decepticon symbol. As with previous Transformers films, I'm assuming "The Last Knight" will have an alternate meaning than what most of us suspect or it will have a double meaning alluding to multiple plot scenarios.

We got to see more scenes of the Ospreys, underwater scenes, shots of the "horns" (which is what they were referred to in concept art we were shown by Bay), and more. I don't know what everything is leading toward. I can't get over that I saw 20 minutes of various clips and yet, thanks to some clever editing, the plot wasn't revealed. I don't know what the horns are, I don't know what's going on with the moon, I don't know what's dragging through Earth's atmosphere and, most importantly, I still don't know what the heck is going on with Optimus Prime or what the "Last Knight" refers to specifically.

As I said earlier, the movie seems very "big", very epic. The stakes seem much higher in this film. It's all building to something really big, which will serve as a launchpad for the Transformers Movie universe going forward. We've only got less than 3 months to go before Transformers The Last Knight opens in theaters on June 23rd so all shall be revealed very soon!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Cade Yeager is my favorite anime character.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I wish I had any confidence that this will be shorter than Age of Extinction, but it sounds like it's gonna be another long one.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

DC Murderverse posted:

I wish I had any confidence that this will be shorter than Age of Extinction, but it sounds like it's gonna be another long one.

It should be longer and have an intermission.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
A transformer that rips off other transformers' heads and becomes their new head. Give me your face.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
~spine spine spine~

~i'm coming for your spine~

~spine spine spine~

~once it was yours and now it's mine~

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

The MSJ posted:

New poster:

Motion posters of characters in the movie collected into one video. It's the first time we get to see Hot Rod and Cogman in motion.

http://i.imgur.com/bmA8fqf.mp4

http://i.imgur.com/QF3ZY6S.mp4

Hot rod looks like the love child of Bumblebee and master chief.

Michael Bay is going to keep making the movies bigger until it collapses unto itself.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Am I the only one hoping there's a "You got the Touch!" sequence in this or am I supposed to wait for the next one featuring Unicron and Hot Rod taking over for a killed Prime?

Also I bet Spielberg helped with the story as far as the kids and family sort of stuff

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Gatts posted:

Am I the only one hoping there's a "You got the Touch!" sequence in this or am I supposed to wait for the next one featuring Unicron and Hot Rod taking over for a killed Prime?

Only if Mark sings it again.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Only if Mark sings it again.

How awesome would it be to have Mark wail it on a dragon Transformer rigged out like in Mad Max Fury Road as he follows Prime who is tearing spines and faces off Decepticons

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
So is the giant tentacle planet supposed to be Cyberton. Are they actually going to follow up on casually destroying it in 3?

I love how often this series involves Optimus loving up Decepticon plans to save their species from extinction.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

quote:

Additionally, we saw some really really big space ships that appear to tie into the medieval aspects of the film.
Incredible sentence

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

General Battuta posted:

So is the giant tentacle planet supposed to be Cyberton. Are they actually going to follow up on casually destroying it in 3?

I love how often this series involves Optimus loving up Decepticon plans to save their species from extinction.

I'm convinced it is both Cybertron and Unicron.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Yeah, in the Bay films there is no God. Like in IDW's TF vs GI Joe, Cybertron and Unicron are functionally identical.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Primus would have been cool

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

General Battuta posted:

I'm guessing somehow Earth is Cybertron.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Rewatching TF4. I think the bit where Tessa shouts out for someone to help her and has her plea answered by Lockdown blasting Prime in the chest is pretty cool. Helps with the whole Lockdown-as-messenger of God thing.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

New promo showing Tranfosrmers in the early 20th century.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqy_--tSsg0

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Lord Krangdar posted:

I'm guessing somehow Earth is Cybertron.
Earth is Primus and him and Unicron are gonna duke it out while the camera sways away from them to some jets flying overhead and american flags waving. :911:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

The MSJ posted:

New promo showing Tranfosrmers in the early 20th century.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqy_--tSsg0

So, my mind went straight to this peculiar example from an Australian history class exam.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Milky Moor posted:

So, my mind went straight to this peculiar example from an Australian history class exam.

Not a surprise that Bay is influenced by art.

Anthony Hopkins heaps praises on Bay.

quote:

“I thought, ‘This guy’s a genius, he really is,‘” Hopkins told Yahoo Movies (watch above) last week at CinemaCon about his impression of Bay after meeting the director over breakfast to discuss the project. “He’s the same ilk as Oliver Stone and [Steven] Spielberg and [Martin] Scorsese. Brilliance. Savants, really, they are. He’s a savant.”

In Last Knight, Hopkins, 79, stars opposite the returning Mark Wahlberg as Sir Edmund Burton, an astronomer and historian who lives with Autobots on a sprawling British countryside estate.

The Oscar-winning Silence of the Lambs and Westworld actor said he had seen the first two movies in the franchise (2007’s Transformers and 2009’s Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen) prior to the Last Knight opportunity coming along, and then caught up with Transformers: Dark of the Moon (2011) and Transformers: Age of Extinction (2014) to get up to speed.

“[They are] terrific,” Hopkins said. “They’re created by a genius.”

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well if Oscar Winner SIR Anthony Hopkins says so it must be true.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Yeah whats he supposed to say? "Man that franchise that paid me millions of dollars to star in is a real big piece of dogshit"

Not everyone is Michael Caine

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

also lol if you legit believe Hopkins sat through more than 5 minutes of any of that poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's Oscar Winner SIR Michael Caine to you.