Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

canyoneer posted:

It can go up or down from there

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Don't forget about Cole's Law! I went to a picnic one time and forgot it about it and then by the time I ate it, it was warm and I got food poisoning.

Dads...hello

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

A friend bought a home in Florida back in December for $254k. He suddenly decides he wants a bigger house with a pool, closer to work. So he's putting it back on the market....for $299k. He has made no upgrades or improved the condition in any way.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Omne posted:

A friend bought a home in Florida back in December for $254k. He suddenly decides he wants a bigger house with a pool, closer to work. So he's putting it back on the market....for $299k. He has made no upgrades or improved the condition in any way.

Which part of Florida?

Is it the panhandle? Because lol if it's the panhandle.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

ranbo das posted:

You flush while still peeing, so that it completes right as you finish, instead of waiting until you're done to flush like a pleb.

Yeah just make sure your timing is good. There's a guy in my office that does this and apparently he isn't done peeing by the time the flush is complete, but refuses to flush again.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Ornamented Death posted:

Yeah just make sure your timing is good. There's a guy in my office that does this and apparently he isn't done peeing by the time the flush is complete, but refuses to flush again.

Well now you know why he's not CEO.

Tidy Flea
May 2, 2013
My coworker resigned today with no notice. She doesn't have a job lined up, but her husband does, and they're moving to a spacious ranch in the Ozarks.

I asked, "Are you guys going to raise horses?"

"No," she said, "but I'm buying a pontoon!"

She's had a rough time recently, so I didn't want to poo poo on their idea, but...yikes. Best of luck.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

the claimed workloads are bullshit, and even if they weren't, we shouldn't be talking about them in reverent tones because working more than 40 hours a week doesn't leave time to socialize with other humans and experience art and to relax and otherwise engage in all of the mental hygiene that produces stable empathetic decision makers

I've seen the end result of people working 60 hour weeks for years and years. It hollows something out inside of you. You end up with these people who have no non-work interests, nothing non-work related to talk about, and seem completely removed from society. It's just completely bizarre

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

paternity suitor posted:

I've seen the end result of people working 60 hour weeks for years and years. It hollows something out inside of you. You end up with these people who have no non-work interests, nothing non-work related to talk about, and seem completely removed from society. It's just completely bizarre

I know people like this except in addition to working super long hours all their non-work interests seem to be "go to the developer meetup for the thing I do at work" which just seems like a horrible mental hell they've locked themselves in

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I did the 70+ hour thing for 5 years or so, and it turned out as well as is described above. I have some relationships that have never fully repaired, and I'm pretty sure I'm still carrying burnout scar tissue to this day. Didn't even pay very well.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
I worked 8x 85-hour 6-day work weeks in a row about 10 years ago and while I would never want to do that again, the end product was amazing and worth the effort.

BWM was similar to Subjunctive, I didn't ask for nearly as much money as I should have.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

ranbo das posted:

You flush while still peeing, so that it completes right as you finish, instead of waiting until you're done to flush like a pleb.

But that doesn't save you any time.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

spog posted:

It does, but it's like less than a second, not actually five seconds unless you stand there and stare at it the whole time it flushes.

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

I TAKE PHOTOS OF OTHER PEOPLE'S CHILDREN IN PLANET FITNESS

spog posted:

I was assuming that he quit flushing altogether to save the 5 seconds. Leave that to the lower-level peons.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Good Parmesan posted:

I was assuming that he quit flushing altogether to save the 5 seconds. Leave that to the lower-level peons.

pee-ons :laugh:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Jeez people, it was an anecdote from the CEO about how obsessed he was with efficiency, which is something Southwest is known for. It also implies he is/was an incredibly busy person if he thought slicing time off his bathroom breaks was important.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

peed-ons. :eng101:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Krispy Kareem posted:

Jeez people, it was an anecdote from the CEO about how obsessed he was with efficiency, which is something Southwest is known for.

Unless it's for boarding their own god drat planes jesus christ southwest get your act together

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

I guess if you have good aim you could move on to washing your hands post-flush but before actually finishing. That would save some time.

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

I'm surprised he didn't provide other time-saving tips such as sprinting around office hallways.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

I walk to the sink and start washing my hands mid-pee

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Tomfoolery posted:

I walk to the sink and start washing my hands mid-pee

If you just piss straight in the sink you conserve both water and time.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Good Parmesan posted:

I'm surprised he didn't provide other time-saving tips such as sprinting around office hallways.

Heelys, now available in shell cordovan.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Jeez people, it was an anecdote from the CEO about how obsessed he was with efficiency, which is something Southwest is known for. It also implies he is/was an incredibly busy person if he thought slicing time off his bathroom breaks was important.

I thought it was a nice twist that the CEO's efficiency protip doesn't actually save any time at all.

Cue a thousand business magazines touting this as the reason for his success, then a cargo cult following by other CEO, often with their own even more useless twist (such as replacing all the bathrooms in the entire facility with carbon fibre urinals and making GBS threads in the sink to avoid flushing altogether )

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Hohoho, 50-60 hours/week? That sounds terrible! :ohdear: Lot more people just need to accept this as a fact of life imho.

paternity suitor posted:

The first time I went to dinner with a bunch of lawyers and was forced to listen to their conversations I realized how terrible it was for non-medicine people to go to dinner with doctors.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

Hohoho, 50-60 hours/week? That sounds terrible! :ohdear: Lot more people just need to accept this as a fact of life imho.

LOL as if anyone in rad onc has ever worked a 60 hour week.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Residency Evil posted:

The first time I went to dinner with a bunch of lawyers and was forced to listen to their conversations I realized how terrible it was for non-medicine people to go to dinner with doctors.

You're about to be an attending, you shouldn't ever mention your hours ever again or the residents will take up pitchforks.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

potatoducks posted:

LOL as if anyone in rad onc has ever worked a 60 hour week.

Hah, my program was pretty front loaded so we were 60-65 pretty consistently. No in house call was pretty great though.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

You're about to be an attending, you shouldn't ever mention your hours ever again or the residents will take up pitchforks.

Sorry, I'm pretty sure my job is now to complain about how much harder I had it in residency.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Don't y'all have like, 24 hour days but then two days off? cuz I'd be pretty okay with that

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Southwest is a budget airline which is why the CEO does things for himself that you'd usually have an Enrique for

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
So for those of you who work those 60-80 hour weeks, are you properly compensated for your extra time or is it just expected you devote your life to a 40k/yr job?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

sparkmaster posted:

So for those of you who work those 60-80 hour weeks
mmm-yello?

sparkmaster posted:

are you properly compensated for your extra time
wellll, you could probably debate about this but when you compare with the median salary in my fiel-

sparkmaster posted:

or is it just expected you devote your life to a 40k/yr job?
lol, no, they make it pretty worth it.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

sparkmaster posted:

So for those of you who work those 60-80 hour weeks, are you properly compensated for your extra time or is it just expected you devote your life to a 40k/yr job?

In the case of residents, sure they're working 90 hour weeks making $52k because within 4 years from now if they go full private practice cash grab they could gross $450k.

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

Currently work 70 hours, but constitutes 3 different jobs, so paid accordingly. (40 hr during week, 15 nights / weekends waiting tables, 15 freelance work)

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Doctors have the last profession where your job is your life but you are at least well compensated. That will change eventually though.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

sparkmaster posted:

Medicine/Law/Banking are all similar. Sacrifice your 20s with very above average hours for relatively poor compensation in the hope that you can spent your 30-50s working slightly above average hours for generally good compensation.

Right now, at the very end of residency I feel incredibly burned out/bitter for losing my 20s, especially as compared to my friends in banking/law/tech, who at the very least have a house/401k to show for it.

On the bright side, at least what I'm doing feels more meaningful than working for Google/Goldman/McKinsey?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

Medicine/Law/Banking are all similar. Sacrifice your 20s very above average hours for relatively poor compensation in the hope that you can spent your 30-50s working slightly above average hours for generally good compensation.

Right now, at the very end of residency I feel incredibly burned out/bitter for losing my 20s, especially as compared to my friends in banking/law/tech, who at the very least have a house/401k to show for it.

On the bright side, at least what I'm doing feels more meaningful than working for Google/Goldman/McKinsey?

I don't know, getting blood for free through donations then turning around and charging $200 a pop to patients seems like a very Goldman thing to do

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I mean it's called a blood bank isn't it

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

A MD at a place I used to work left to start a blood trading business. Managing director or medical doctor, works either way!

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
Hours/compensation/lifestyle in medicine varies so much between specialties that it is difficult to generalize.

Residency Evil posted:

Hey google has significantly improved the lives of millions. Your glioma patients only get an extra 6-12 months of suffering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

potatoducks posted:

Hours/compensation/lifestyle in medicine varies so much between specialties that it is difficult to generalize.

Hey google has significantly improved the lives of millions. Your glioma patients only get an extra 6-12 months of suffering.

I guess it varies for everyone. I'll say that I've found more satisfaction in being able to be a part of giving someone an extra year with their family than I ever did in improving some code to be more efficient. I'm sure it also depending on what you're doing at Google. My friend who's essentially a (well payed) computer janitor there seems way less enthusiastic about his job than a friend who's on a different team.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 27, 2017

• Locked thread