Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (January 27, 1930)

Peanuts (March 29-30, 1970)

Funky Winkerbean, featuring Darin and Mopey Pete's Silver Age Excuse Not To Write a Joke On Sunday

It ain't no Six-Gun Gorilla, that's for sure.

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (June 9-10, 1930)

Thimble Theater (October 14, 1930)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Arlo and Janis Classic (Feb. 2, 1995)

Garfield Classic (Feb. 2, 1985)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

EasyEW posted:

One of my favorite Snoopy strips.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

EasyEW posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNtCtOlCHao

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Fred Basset

Frog Applause

Hazel

On the Fast Rack

Reply All

Ziggy

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Whatever you do, Ziggy, do NOT summon Coily!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Edge of Mustaches

Another useless time-waster of a strip, with a vaguely sinister animal for extra padding. It's like being in a RPG with the guy who insists on playing out every interaction instead of just saying, "Okay, the captain assures you you'll be safe on the ship. Meanwhile..."

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

Oh, I get it. He is acting out of character, in that he is worried he backed over someone's mailbox. Clearly, we (as the long-time readers) are to be confused by this sudden change in the main character's personality, and thus stay in a state of tension wondering what has happened. :geno:

Tiggum posted:

On the Fast Rack

I hate everything about this, up to and including the fact that "On the Fast Track" still exists.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for posting Pyton, by the way - the books are nigh impossible to find out here.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Mister Kingdom posted:

Whatever you do, Ziggy, do NOT summon Coily!

No.....springs?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ms Boods posted:

No.....springs?

We are friends, aren't we Coily?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=le2eB2xtvBQ

Tina's Groove

Family Circus
img]http://i.imgur.com/p8Jc46z.gif[/img]

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Mea Culpa
Oct 23, 2005

Ali's House

August 4, 2016

Today's

Back to B.C.

September 30, 1959

Lucky Cow

April 24, 2003

Spirit of the Staircase

July 31, 2016

Today's

The Upside Downs

October 4, 1903

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

That's, uh, pretty graphic there. :stare:

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

Pickles

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Hayden's mom is one of those parents who won't let their kids watch PG-13 movies

so that explains why he doesn't have any friends his own age

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh, I get it. He is acting out of character, in that he is worried he backed over someone's mailbox. Clearly, we (as the long-time readers) are to be confused by this sudden change in the main character's personality, and thus stay in a state of tension wondering what has happened. :geno:

the joke is that he said he "brushed up" against it when from the loud noise we can tell that he did a lot more damage than that

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
Reply All was posted earlier, so just Zits today

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Ein cooler Typ posted:

the joke is that he said he "brushed up" against it when from the loud noise we can tell that he did a lot more damage than that

The Crankshaft Explainer appears weekly in over 700 newspapers worldwide.

Also, have you guys looked at the Crankshaft article on Wikipedia? Because it is alarmingly thorough and, uh, full of surprises:

quote:

Rape: Crankshaft became the subject of some degree of controversy when Batiuk wrote a cartoon that some readers and editors thought trivialized rape by saying that only young, attractive women need to fear sexual assault, implying that rape was in some sense a compliment. It was pulled from publication in at least one paper.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Pastry of the Year posted:

As long as I'm being vocally appreciative, I want to call out Slammy as one of the MVPs. He (?) evidently puts a ton of work into combing old newspapers for those comics, and I really doubt they'd have seen the light of day otherwise, in a lot of cases.
Whoop! Thanks! I appreciate it. Love those old comics, and it doesn't come up much in a typical conversation. Are you going to slide up to a hottie at the bar and say "Hey, want to see my Mopsy?" "I've got some Tweedy back at my place."

Artsygrrl posted:

Thanks for posting Pyton, by the way - the books are nigh impossible to find out here.
Agreed - sorry about my crappy google-fueled translations.

Dream of the Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

And The Dog Died. (April, 1916)

Outbursts of Everett True (August, 1916)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleksei_Brusilov

Doings of the Duffs. (July, 1918, click for big)

The Gay Thirties (July, 1935, click for big))

They'll Do It Every Time (June, 1940, click for big)

Mopsy (December, 1940)

Tweedy (November, 1956, click for big)

Archie (November, 1955, click for big)

Feiffer (1972, click for big)

Andy Capp (April, 1971, click for big)

Wee Pals (September, 1971, click for big)

Pyton

Dick Tracy (February, 2006, click for big)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon (Jan 7, 1996)

1999 Spider-Man

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Slammy posted:

And The Dog Died. (April, 1916)

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Kennel posted:

Mandrake

"We need to catch the people who threw a bomb from a helicopter! Set up some roadblocks!"

F Minus

Trilobite posted:

I was okay with silver fox Mary Worth, and the artist eventually figured out how to draw a properly shlubby and ineffectual Wilbur Weston, but man, this New Toby freaks me out. When did she start taking giant fistfuls of drugs, anyway? Is this whole cruise idea just a scheme to make Mary mule a few kilos back for her?
Yeah not a big fan of Toby's character design either. It's not so much the wild eyes for me. It's more that she's a bit too "generic," but I guess she kind of always has been, if you think about it. I don't think we've seen Ian yet? I kind of look forward to that.

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

Milton's only into anal?

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

Edit:

Haifisch posted:

1999 Spider-Man

Peter got a check as Spider-Man and specifically had him make it out to cash to protect his secret identity, and deposited it into Peter Parker's bank account.

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 27, 2017

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Evil Mastermind posted:

I hate everything about this, up to and including the fact that "On the Fast Track" still exists.

The thing I like least about it is it's actually "Fast Rack," what even is that

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

sweeperbravo posted:

The thing I like least about it is it's actually "Fast Rack," what even is that
:aaaaa:

Johnny Walker posted:

"We need to catch the people who threw a bomb from a helicopter! Set up some roadblocks!"

He actually jumped in a car. Not sure how the police copter couldn't follow him.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (January 23, 1952)

Nancy (March 10, 1944)

Wash Tubbs (November 8, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (December 7, 1923)

Lil' Abner (August 5, 1937)

Barney Google (December 8, 1922)

Alley Oop (March 9, 1934)

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

"Eve and Adam"

I've only glanced at a few of the pages for this particular storyline, and it looks like there is a LOT of nudity. So don't be surprised if I elect to spoiler a number of them:

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

This is what I do with my patients suffering from Alzheimer's, make sure to repeat everything several times slowly and clearly so they don't get confused and upset about what is going on.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Also, have you guys looked at the Crankshaft article on Wikipedia? Because it is alarmingly thorough and, uh, full of surprises:
I wish I could say I was more surprised by this.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

The Crankshaft Explainer appears weekly in over 700 newspapers worldwide.

The Crankshaft strip in question.

I can see why people got pissed about it.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

He's watching. Waiting. Learning. Soon, the thumbs will belong to the dog. Ballard Street.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Gil

Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

The rain might not, but I'm betting that lightning won't do you many favors.

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Today, Brooke shows us that gums aren't the only things that flap in this strip.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Baldo

Wizard of Id

Big Nate

I have greater appreciation for this storyline because I'm imagining how much it would be hosed up by like, Luann.

Wallace the Brave

I love Wallace's third-panel seagulls.

Curtis

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:iceburn: HOLY poo poo I laughed out loud at Dinette Set

Was this kid always in this strip? This feels like the old sitcom trick of shoehorning in a young kid when you're out of other ideas. Why the hell is he always with dustin? :aatrek:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Color me legit surprised that not only did they continue the story this week, but she actually finally told him she's gay. Not sure why she was so determined to stay in the closet in the first place, but still.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts: Year Six (January 9-15, 1956)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set is concerned for public safety.

Working Daze makes an irrelevant reference.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix is just lazy writing.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Tracksuit

Inspector Doma

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Johnny Walker posted:

Yeah not a big fan of Toby's character design either. It's not so much the wild eyes for me. It's more that she's a bit too "generic," but I guess she kind of always has been, if you think about it. I don't think we've seen Ian yet? I kind of look forward to that.

I'm new to the comics thread relatively speaking, and new to Mary Worth, so for the entire arc up until now I thought Toby was Iris.

Great character design indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

Color me legit surprised that not only did they continue the story this week, but she actually finally told him she's gay. Not sure why she was so determined to stay in the closet in the first place, but still.

It's really the hallmarks of lovely strips when the supposed "villains" are more sympathetic than the "heros".

From the backstory, Les grew up in Foster care, but his mother and uncle are still alive.
He is making payments on something, probably court related? Anyway, it's obvious the dude is loving starved for affection and latched onto the first person to actually treat him halfway decently.

• Locked thread