Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
urbosa's furry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh, one last thing: fairies shouldn't revive you on death in Hard Mode. They're still useful for helping you cook and make elixirs, so there's still plenty of reason to get them, but Mipha's Grace becomes more valuable if it's the only thing that can revive you on death. (This goes with my idea that you should only be able to have one Champion ability equipped at once plus the powers sharing a cooldown so that you can't just switch when one's on cooldown no problem.)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm hoping hard mode doesn't really tweak the mechanics much, just moved everything around and puts tougher enemy placement.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think it needs systems changes or nothing will actually be hard. Even if you move things around, maybe make hard enemies show up earlier, if you can eat food to your heart's content and pile on temporary hearts easily, nothing really poses much of a threat to anything other than your weapon collection.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

i made a thing, please enjoy

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Since you gotta pay to get it, i sure do hope there are mechanical changes. Just getting tougher enemies and that's it wouldn't be worth it at all

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

parallelodad posted:

I'm hoping hard mode doesn't really tweak the mechanics much, just moved everything around and puts tougher enemy placement.

I also hope I have to pay for them to move some crap around without actually making the game harder or more interesting. It would really suck if we got a cool master quest style hard mode that made me want to sink another hundred hours into the game.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

MokBa posted:

I want to nerd out a bit more than usual, and give some suggestions I have for the final boss. I'll put it in spoiler tags since I'll be describing the boss as is, but this is how I wish it could've played out:

Phase 1: I wouldn't change much about this. I think it's a good test of many of the skills the player has learned up to this point, except it's very easy. Ganon needs to be faster and less obvious. He telegraphs every move and doesn't really threaten a player that pays attention. I know it's gotten cliche at this point, but a more traditional Link vs Ganon swordfight ala Wind Waker would've worked SO WELL with BotW's system and it's a shame we don't really see that at all. Right now, he's mostly just an advanced Guardian.

Phase 2: Instead of the glorified cutscene we ended up with, this should've been Link vs a scarier Lynel. Lynels are by far the most interesting fights in the game, and having the final boss be a more difficult version of them seems like a no-brainer. Maybe we still get the horse, but you have to get on and off of it. A smaller pig Ganon that can be fought more traditionally and runs all around Hyrule field would've been drat satisfying to take down. If Phase 1 looked more humanoid, this phase could be a cool mix of the two forms we currently see.

Phase 3: I think there should be a third phase, where we fight the flying demon Calamity Ganon that we're introduced to in the beginning. It's pretty weird that we're shown Ganon to be one thing, but that's not what we fight. We could run around and have updrafts to get us flying in the air where we have to shoot certain points on Ganon, much like the three dragons. We could even land on him and have to climb all over him as he flies around the sky. This game could so easily go full Shadow of the Colossus and even surpass the boss fights of that game. Yeah, you can climb on Taluses and Hinoxes but not to the extent that the game can handle. Why spend all those hours climbing everything if we don't get to climb some giant enemies too?

As much as this game is My Favorite Game of All Time, I wish it would combine all the things we do together more.There is SO MUCH that can be done in this engine, and I really hope they keep pushing that envelope over the next decade or so.

I don't think a Link vs. Ganon swordfight wouldn't really work for this particular Ganon, since the point about it is to show that he is so far gone from the cocky mastermind that he's essentially a different being altogether, too far gone into being a demon/beast and a walking manifestation of Demise's curse that even the Gerudo, who he started out as, think he was a demon that took form of a Gerudo rather than Demise's curse corrupting said Gerudo into a demon king to becoming the biggest gently caress-you imaginable to the descendants of the Hero and Goddess who had slain Demise. I don't even think people know that Ganondorf came first and that Ganon was simply a nickname of his, so they probably think that he was responsible for things that happened waaaayy before Ganondorf was actually a thing. Heck, I'd imagine they'd think that Vaati's actions in Minish Cap and Four Swords is actually the work of Ganon, or that even Demise's actions in the background of Skyward Sword is the work of Ganon.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

El Burbo posted:

Since you gotta pay to get it, i sure do hope there are mechanical changes. Just getting tougher enemies and that's it wouldn't be worth it at all

Given that it's paid DLC, I'd love it to be a full-on Master Quest thing. I stand by the systems changes that I want (especially anything that limits how much food and Champion powers can make combat a lot easier), but combining that with things like harder dungeon puzzles and new, more difficult enemy types would be good as hell.

I'm trying to keep my expectations limited, though.

I also hope that it isn't an NG+-only thing so that when I replay the game on Switch I can do Hard Mode from the start (again, assuming Hard Mode is actually worth buying/playing).

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Legends of Ganon killing a whale's dream, crashing the moon and being a train.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Carmant posted:

I also hope I have to pay for them to move some crap around without actually making the game harder or more interesting. It would really suck if we got a cool master quest style hard mode that made me want to sink another hundred hours into the game.

What the gently caress do you think Master Quest was? It was moving poo poo around.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

To me, "Hard Mode" implies that it's supposed to make everything more challenging. If it's going to be a Second Quest/Master Quest thing, that might be even better (if they can make harder new puzzles and all of that), but I think they'd have called it that if that was the plan. I also think it'd take longer to develop and probably wouldn't be the first DLC pack.

I think balance changes and enemy placement changes are much more likely. I'd love a few systems tweaks to make it so that you can't just rely on food as a crutch to get you through everything, or more aggressive and surprising enemy behaviors, and I probably shouldn't consider those unrealistic given that it's paid DLC but, well, I've been burned by "hard modes" enough times now that I'm skeptical that it'll represent too many meaningful changes.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I have no expectations for Hard Mode at all. I'm just gonna play it and enjoy the experience!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

MokBa posted:

I have no expectations for Hard Mode at all. I'm just gonna play it and enjoy the experience!

:yeah:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'd probably have that same attitude if it wasn't paid DLC. As it is, I think it needs to have big and satisfying enough changes to justify being a separate piece of paid content. I'm not expecting new dungeons or shrines or puzzles, but if it's just tweaked damage/HP values or something I'm going to be pretty disappointed.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Hard mode programs Fi into the game, and the challenge comes being able to play past the intro.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Hard mode programs Fi into the game, and the challenge comes being able to play past the intro.

A true challenge, only for the most patient of heroes...

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Well most enemies end at silver, perhaps we can expect hard mode to have gold enemies, amongst other things?

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

if they put as much effort into the dlc as the mario kart guys did then :black101: :circlefap: :aaaaa:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The Divine Beasts will change forms to spell out "LINK" and be in different locations.

You'll bomb a wall and just see a glowing elephant inside staring at you.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

You know what would be a cool as hell DLC? Playing through part of the game in 2D tech demo mode like they showed off at GDC. Obviously you wouldn't be able to do most of the game but how cool would it be if they built out, like, the Great Plateau in 2D with 8-bit graphics but with BotW's physics systems?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Davoren posted:

Well most enemies end at silver, perhaps we can expect hard mode to have gold enemies, amongst other things?

Man, silver guys are already just big damage sponges. I hope a hypothetical gold guy would have more complex routines instead of just more health

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Defense up food is MVP.

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

Harrow posted:

You know what would be a cool as hell DLC? Playing through part of the game in 2D tech demo mode like they showed off at GDC. Obviously you wouldn't be able to do most of the game but how cool would it be if they built out, like, the Great Plateau in 2D with 8-bit graphics but with BotW's physics systems?

yeah i feel like they should do something w/that

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?

Harrow posted:

I've read speculation that they may use that engine to make a Zelda Maker similar to Mario Maker. Sounds like a complete and utter fever dream, but man how cool would that be?

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I think they could have done more in this genre as far as unique treasures go. Maybe traditional dungeon items can come back in the form of convenience items, you know? Hookshot fits this role as a thing to help with climbing great distances, or getting your batman on, for instance. Pegasus boots make you run faster and give you a new/special dashing attack. A magic lantern so you always have a touch on hand without using a weapon slot, and fires lit with it won't go out in the rain. A monocle of truth that lets you see hit points without restricting your armor.

Satisfying prizes, none of which are necessary but all of which I'd totally do a big dungeon for.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
A blue fire lantern is definitely needed.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

BlackFrost posted:

I've read speculation that they may use that engine to make a Zelda Maker similar to Mario Maker. Sounds like a complete and utter fever dream, but man how cool would that be?

That would be a nightmare to actually play.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

BlackFrost posted:

That's exactly what I thought of when I saw it in action, and Nintendo's probably drowning in comments saying they should do that.

Given Mario Maker's success it'd be a nobrainer to make Zelda Maker for the Switch.

comingafteryouall posted:

That would be a nightmare to actually play.

Eh, when you go into it with the expectation that it's all user-made content than it's a much easier pill to swallow. Some are gonna suck and some are gonna be awesome and a huge number are gonna be 'meh'.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Really it's probably asking a lot of any DLC to make combat challenging in this because it does need a lot of numbers balancing. Defense, attack, and health values are all kinds of crazy.

Breath of the Wild is a good example for why so many games have weird attack and defense formulas instead of just doing "attack - defense = damage." To have any sort of enemy progression, enemy HP has to balloon and weapon attack has to do the same. And because weapons do the same damage when enemies use them as they do when Link uses them, you'd either need Link's HP to also balloon (impractical when you're using hearts to display it and one heart = 4 HP) or Link needs a powerful defense stat. So that's what we get: attack - defense = damage, and the difference between an enemy doing a quarter heart of damage (1 HP, the minimum possible) and knocking off multiple hearts is pretty small given the scale of attack and defense values. That leads to things feeling really spiky.

:siren: Armchair game design follows, now would be a good time to tune out :siren:

If it were up to me, I'd do away with defense entirely and lower weapon attack values by quite a bit--nothing ever does 60 damage, for example. Most armor sets and even a few individual pieces already have a useful benefit outside of their defense values, so defense isn't really all that necessary to differentiate them or to encourage the player to use a variety of armor. (Give metal armor some sort of benefit so that there's a reason to wear the Soldier's armor, like maybe it makes you harder to knock back if you wear the full set.) Now weapon attack values and Link's HP don't have to take into account damage reduction at all.

It would mean you'd have a lot less room for vertical progression, but in a game like this, I'm not convinced we need a ton of that anyway. There are enough ways already in the game to add distinguishing features to weapons that new weapon types showing up as enemies get tougher can be exciting even if they only do a couple points more damage than the previous. We already have elemental weapons and boomerangs with unique behaviors and things can expand from there.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I'm not going to play an entire Zelda map randomly in a hypothetical Zelda Maker and then find out that the guy making it was a fuckhead 20 minutes in.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Phantasium posted:

I'm not going to play an entire Zelda map randomly in a hypothetical Zelda Maker and then find out that the guy making it was a fuckhead 20 minutes in.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Phantasium posted:

But enough about Binding of Isaac, am I right folks?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I really hope hard mode nerfs the defense values provided by upgraded armour. I feel like even the most challenging fights pose no concern if you're only taking like 2 hearts of damage max. A lot of the attacks in general need to be rebalanced so they don't vary so wildly in terms of damage. Even when I'm naked getting trampled by a Lynel only does 1 heart, but getting hit by anything else they do will generally OHKO me.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Phantasium posted:

Zelda Shrine Designer: Now With More Rolling Spiked Balls And Instadeath Pits! :smithicide:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I really hope hard mode nerfs the defense values provided by upgraded armour. I feel like even the most challenging fights pose no concern if you're only taking like 2 hearts of damage max. A lot of the attacks in general need to be rebalanced so they don't vary so wildly in terms of damage. Even when I'm naked getting trampled by a Lynel only does 1 heart, but getting hit by anything else they do will generally OHKO me.

All of that is just because weapons do the same damage in enemy hands as they do in Link's hands. I still think that's a good thing--I like consistency and stuff like that makes a lot of sense--but it does mean that HP and defense values end up being really out of whack, especially when a full set of upgraded armor can easily give you 50-60 defense.

I still think just ditching defense entirely (and correspondingly lowering weapon attack and enemy HP) would be the best way to handle it. That way they could just say "this Lynel weapon does 5 hearts of damage" instead of saying "this Lynel weapon does 40 damage, which will do 5 hearts of damage if you have 20 defense, but if you have 4 defense it does 9 hearts of damage and if you have 40 defense it does a quarter heart."

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
LOL at the video I just watched on how to get the Hylian shield where he uses stasis and busts his weapon to make the mine cart go.

Dude, it's got a round bomb slot.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

LOL at the video I just watched on how to get the Hylian shield where he uses stasis and busts his weapon to make the mine cart go.

I think its fair to assume that detonating a bomb in the cart with you in it won't end well. Its totally safe but I had a hard time convincing myself to actually try it.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I didn't even notice those slots at first, and when I did I was like "poo poo am I gonna get hurt blowing this up near me" and for a while just kept stasis + 2hits for moving them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Phantasium posted:

Length would have to be limited, but Mario Maker is full of fuckheads and just shuffles most of them off to Expert and Super Expert. Something could be made but given that they haven't even announced an easy Mario Maker port I don't foresee anything of the sort.