Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

CrashCat posted:

Length would have to be limited, but Mario Maker is full of fuckheads and just shuffles most of them off to Expert and Super Expert.

As someone with all but one costume in Mario Maker (that loving level 2 gnat attack) I'm well aware.

It's kind of amazing how six levels can take two hours to clear because you have to find six levels in a row that are actually good enough to play, all the while running against a clock of "how many lives will you lose to random levels that just kill you off before you can skip them because they start you off in a pit or right next to an enemy?"

The problem is even if you limit it to dungeons then you have to do some gymnastics as to figure out what items some random will have, so then you have weird dungeons with the same problem as Link Between Worlds where you know what to do because it gave you items x,y,z.

I suppose they could parse it out into people making maps and dungeons separate and then have people just make "the bomb dungeon" but then you still get problems where you clear like five dungeons and then find out the map your on just put 50 darknuts on this one tile into the next dungeon and now you need to skip something and it better not be the dungeons I just cleared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Speaking of difficulty, the enemies consistently giving me the most difficulty on my naked run are bokoblin archers on horses. Those fuckers have sniper aim and see you from a mile away. In order to get past a silver and black bokolbin pair I climbed up a tree, jumped off it for the slowdown, and then carpet bombed them with a 3x bomb arrow blast. The objective wasn't to kill them though. It was just to kill their dumb horses so they wouldn't have anything to ride when I went to engage them up close.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Kashuno posted:

I didn't even notice those slots at first, and when I did I was like "poo poo am I gonna get hurt blowing this up near me" and for a while just kept stasis + 2hits for moving them.

I had the opposite experience. Noticed the bomb cage the first time I found a cart, but used stasis anyway because I wanted to find out if it would cause the cart to get derailed and fling me into lava.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

Speaking of difficulty, the enemies consistently giving me the most difficulty on my naked run are bokoblin archers on horses. Those fuckers have sniper aim and see you from a mile away. In order to get past a silver and black bokolbin pair I climbed up a tree, jumped off it for the slowdown, and then carpet bombed them with a 3x bomb arrow blast. The objective wasn't to kill them though. It was just to kill their dumb horses so they wouldn't have anything to ride when I went to engage them up close.

Stasis them for the most hilarious moment where the horse keeps running the bokoblin just hangs in the air.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I had the brilliant idea to test if that's what the game wanted, except bombs will hurt me so I got out of the cart and, whoops, there it goes.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think one issue is that high-level enemies often end up being weapon-durability sinks rather than real challenges. Wailing on a silver bokoblin isn't more interesting than killing a red one, it just takes longer and is more likely to break your weapon in the process. It's why I hope hard mode does something different than just crank up the HP/damage numbers.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Make enemies have to suffer with durability so that if you want the good weapons you have to electrocute enemies using them before they break them.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Phantasium posted:

I'm not going to play an entire Zelda map randomly in a hypothetical Zelda Maker and then find out that the guy making it was a fuckhead 20 minutes in.

What does Kaizo Zelda even look like

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Supercar Gautier posted:

I think one issue is that high-level enemies often end up being weapon-durability sinks rather than real challenges. Wailing on a silver bokoblin isn't more interesting than killing a red one, it just takes longer and is more likely to break your weapon in the process. It's why I hope hard mode does something different than just crank up the HP/damage numbers.

Yeah, often, unless it's a camp that has a locked chest, I often just shock the sliver enemies so I can steal their weapons and run off with them, because actually fighting them 1v1 isn't that interesting

Hard mode would be cool if there were high level enemies who could do parries and dodges like you could

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Hard mode: no weapons in the game. No enemies have weapons. They throw rocks, they punch. Link has no weapons, he punches. Bombs work only on inorganic material.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

No items, Ravali only, Hyrule Castle

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I lost my Hylian Shield. I got shooked real good by an electo bat on a high mountain top and it fell. It fell a long distance. I tired looking for it but can't find it. I lost the drat thing. I lost it good!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

a.lo posted:

I lost my Hylian Shield. I got shooked real good on a high mountain top and it fell. It fell a long distance. I tired looking for it but can't find it. I lost the drat thing. I lost it good!

You can get another one for 3k rupees at Tarrey Town once it's fully built, I think.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

a.lo posted:

I lost my Hylian Shield. I got shooked real good by an electo bat on a high mountain top and it fell. It fell a long distance. I tired looking for it but can't find it. I lost the drat thing. I lost it good!

You can buy replacements from a dude on the rooftop in the completed Tarrey Town.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Ok this Mounted Archery thing is impossible. Dear god some one help me.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Hard Mode: Armor was durability.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ularg posted:

God damnit Link, the Blissful Water Bed is not your personal bounce house. (I really like that added touch of Link laughing as he bounces up and down :3:)

Another touch I like is Link bracing himself as he's standing on a platform that goes from still to moving

Speaking of re-using game engines, I wonder if the new open world Mario game will use this engine? Seems well suited to it

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Does anyone sell ancient cores?

I need a pile of them and I'm averaging 1 for every 40 guardian spiders i kill.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
God drat this thread moves fast! Thanks for all the money making tips, folks! I did not ever think to sell cooked meat but I never even use it so it makes sense. Also, I probably need to do more exploring and less objective completion because I think I am missing out on a lot of meat/veins that could be making me money. I did not know the Talus' regenerated every blood moon, that is great to know. I'll have to hit them up every blood moon!

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
I circled back around to try and get Kass to go home now that I did all the shrines (and checked off all of their quests). I've returned to all of the spots that he hands out his quests, including the side quest. I've also done the various required quests at Rito. Motherfucker refuses to go home.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

weird Asian candy posted:

God drat this thread moves fast! Thanks for all the money making tips, folks! I did not ever think to sell cooked meat but I never even use it so it makes sense. Also, I probably need to do more exploring and less objective completion because I think I am missing out on a lot of meat/veins that could be making me money. I did not know the Talus' regenerated every blood moon, that is great to know. I'll have to hit them up every blood moon!

There are a couple of rare Talus that drop more valuable gems, too.

grilldos posted:

I circled back around to try and get Kass to go home now that I did all the shrines (and checked off all of their quests). I've returned to all of the spots that he hands out his quests, including the side quest. I've also done the various required quests at Rito. Motherfucker refuses to go home.

Did you read the diary next to the Blood Moon shrine?

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Does anyone sell ancient cores?

I need a pile of them and I'm averaging 1 for every 40 guardian spiders i kill.

yeah the guardian amiibo sells them

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Bum the Sad posted:

Ok this Mounted Archery thing is impossible. Dear god some one help me.

The horse will steer/move itself - just aim for target shooting

If you're still struggling try bomb arrows and/or x3 x5 arrow spread bows

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Deceptive Thinker posted:

The horse will steer/move itself - just aim for target shooting

If you're still struggling try bomb arrows and/or x3 x5 arrow spread bows

Any bow you recommend? I've got some Lynel bows.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bum the Sad posted:

Any bow you recommend? I've got some Lynel bows.

Lynel bows are the x3 or x5 bows :sun:

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Kirios posted:

What does Kaizo Zelda even look like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWTk0C6SLJc

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Hi thread. This is the best game ever. Never thought anything would top OOT!

So I stumbled upon this huge hole in the ground (somewhere in the bottom left corner of the world map) with what look like homes all around it in some wintry place (haven't found the tower yet, sorry I don't know where it is) and there are 3 huge snowballs at the top of a long hill. I pushed one and it got a little bigger but by the time it takes a bit of a jump it falls apart before going into the huge hole. This has probably been discussed but I can't find it! I'm guessing the snowball has to be big enough to cap this hole to trigger something?? What do I do here?

Also I have 9k rupees, what should I buy? I only have two Divine Beasts cleared (elephant and bird) and I don't have super great armor if that helps. Should I buy the guardian armor? If so which pieces?

yamdankee fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 27, 2017

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Kashuno posted:

Lynel bows are the x3 or x5 bows :sun:

Tried my 3x bows 15 times . I'm still too bad :smith:

Why would bombs help other than on the last five?

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!

Bum the Sad posted:

Tried my 3x bows 15 times . I'm still too bad :smith:

The swallow bow or the great eagle bow. The Lynel bow's are nice for the spread but they have crap range and draw slowly so you're always shooting high and guessing at range while trying to stay above water. Use something with good range and a quick draw. Bomb arrows can help with the ones against the cliff faces (2 batches) because even if you miss by a little you'll still get it in the blast. This does not help you for ones floating out in the open.

You can also be careful with your horse's speed, you can't walk the whole thing but you can just canter.

Also if you're not already, aiming with motion controls makes it way easier.

Male of the Century fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 27, 2017

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Oxxidation posted:

You can buy replacements from a dude on the rooftop in the completed Tarrey Town.
And this time take a photo so you've got a chance of tracking a lost one down with the sheikah sensor.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Male of the Century posted:

The swallow bow or the great eagle bow. The Lynel bow's are nice for the spread but they have crap range and draw slowly so you're always shooting high and guessing at range while trying to stay above water. Use something with good range and a quick draw. Bomb arrows can help with the ones against the cliff faces (2 batches) because even if you miss by a little you'll still get it in the blast. This does not help you for ones floating out in the open.

Also if you're not already, aiming with motion controls makes it way easier.

Ok I'm about to beat the Bird so I'll wait for the great eagle.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Bum the Sad posted:

You can hit the ground and still blow up the balloons with the bombs

They'll also multi-hit the set of 2 and the ones that go up along the hillside (I think)

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

found a tremendous titanic sword atop a mountain next to a field with a lynel. no idea what the sword thing is for besides being next to a huge greatsword below.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!

Bum the Sad posted:

Ok I'm about to beat the Bird so I'll wait for the great eagle.

Save before you start up the mini-game and reload if you lose so you can keep the durability on it, as it's kind of annoying to replace and can break after a couple failed attempts.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

MinibarMatchman posted:

found a tremendous titanic sword atop a mountain next to a field with a lynel. no idea what the sword thing is for besides being next to a huge greatsword below.

Are... Are you talking about the Massive stone sword in the Gerudo Highlands?

Make a mental note of where you found that because you mayyyy have to do something there later as part of a sidequest. Or you could *spoilers about said sidequest incoming* take a picture of it and hang on to it for when this becomes a thing you need.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Something that came to mind:

If Nintendo decides to do mini-dungeons like shrines again in another Zelda game, what if there were "linked" shrines? Some shrines might have prerequisite shrines. You could find them and activate them as fast travel points but you can't go inside to do the puzzle until you do a prerequisite shrine that introduces concepts used in that one. I bring this up because one of the issues with puzzle shrines in Breath of the Wild is that they can't really iterate on ideas between shrines, making you do challenges using concepts introduced earlier but make it more complex each time. Because you can do the shrines in any order, each one sort of has to introduce a whole different gimmick. If there were some shrines that you couldn't access until you do another shrine first (that would open up a group of shrines using the same theme), that'd let them design the later shrines to assume that you already know the basic concept and test you on more complex versions of that. Once you do the "key" shrine, any of the locked ones you've already activated on your map change color or glow or something so you know you can go back to them now.

Some of the shrines are big enough to do this within a single shrine, like the Blue Flame shrine, and sometimes there are themed shrines that use similar concepts at varying levels of complexity (there are multiple electricity shrines in the Gerudo Desert, for example), but for the most part, they all stand alone.

I think what you'd lose in nonlinearity you'd more than make up for with more interesting puzzles and a better feeling of puzzle complexity progression.

(My preferred solution would actually be to ditch shrines entirely and put all that effort into making four awesome themed dungeons and a few cool mini dungeons in varying settings, then make regular side quests often reward spirit orbs, but that's just me :v:)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Silver enemies are more dangerous not just because of inflated HP and damage. They also have longer combos than their lesser brethren. Also I think their reflexes with a bow are even greater than a black enemies. However, by the time you run into them you will have started getting elemental weapons. Elemental weapons can stunlock them indefinitely since they have no element resistance. This makes them just as easy as other enemies if you're willing to abuse that. Its the main reason I stopped using elemental weapons on my challenge run.

MinibarMatchman posted:

Part of a quest.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
In general, if you come across something that makes you go "Huh, neat" take a picture of it. Worst case scenario you took a picture of something cool but 9 out of 10 times you'll stumble across an NPC who wants to see the picture and then you finish a side quest without even knowing about it. Same goes for enemies too.

Harrow posted:

Something that came to mind:

If Nintendo decides to do mini-dungeons like shrines again in another Zelda game, what if there were "linked" shrines? Some shrines might have prerequisite shrines. You could find them and activate them as fast travel points but you can't go inside to do the puzzle until you do a prerequisite shrine that introduces concepts used in that one. I bring this up because one of the issues with puzzle shrines in Breath of the Wild is that they can't really iterate on ideas between shrines, making you do challenges using concepts introduced earlier but make it more complex each time. Because you can do the shrines in any order, each one sort of has to introduce a whole different gimmick. If there were some shrines that you couldn't access until you do another shrine first (that would open up a group of shrines using the same theme), that'd let them design the later shrines to assume that you already know the basic concept and test you on more complex versions of that. Once you do the "key" shrine, any of the locked ones you've already activated on your map change color or glow or something so you know you can go back to them now.

Some of the shrines are big enough to do this within a single shrine, like the Blue Flame shrine, and sometimes there are themed shrines that use similar concepts at varying levels of complexity (there are multiple electricity shrines in the Gerudo Desert, for example), but for the most part, they all stand alone.

I think what you'd lose in nonlinearity you'd more than make up for with more interesting puzzles and a better feeling of puzzle complexity progression.

(My preferred solution would actually be to ditch shrines entirely and put all that effort into making four awesome themed dungeons and a few cool mini dungeons in varying settings, then make regular side quests often reward spirit orbs, but that's just me :v:)

Spirit orbs in general are a junk reward. The gameplay design of them I understand in that it gives you the choice of what you want to use them on, but that's boiling them down to simply another in game currency. Re-purposing shrines or removing them entirely and returning to a heart/stamina piece system would make for much much more satisfying side quests and world exploration in general.

If they really need to iterate on something for a future game it would be the cooking system. Things like bottles returning to limit how many elixirs you can make and carry, but giving them stronger and more unique effects would have been great. Perhaps things like unlocking different cooking techniques to increase the strength of meals as well. Simply tossing 5 hearty fish into a pot should not give you as much benefit as mixing ingredients and coming up with actual recipes and dishes(including some in-game recipe guide would be important here).

All through the game it felt like there should be some kind of power creep as you finished more and more shrines, but there really never was. The only thing that actually made a difference was upgrading your armor. Maybe something like a return to the Zelda 2 leveling up system could work, or perhaps flesh out quest rewards to include the training of various new abilities (Twilight Princess handled the upgrades to combat very well, but the method for getting them was sloppy).

Breath of the Wild was a very fun game that is "Game designy" as hell and honestly sits pretty low on my favorites list for Zelda games because it failed to follow through on so much past-game potential and new mechanics promise. But it tickled all the right nostalgia bones and the "climb and explore anything and everything" concept was executed so very well.

Male of the Century fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 27, 2017

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
ganondorf amiibo can give a star fragment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I wonder why you can only save 48 pics. What a weird number. They really couldn't fit in two more spaces for 50?

Also is there anyway to view saved album pics fullscreen and without the slate effect over it?