Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Angry Grimace posted:

The reason why they work this way is because if you tried to implement them as actually returning cards to play you run into a lot of unintended synergy, e.g. you're basically putting Flashback on creatures (that is exactly what Embalm is) but the main difference is that since Flashback only appears on cards that can't become permanents and by rule exile themselves when cast for Flashback, there's not a ton of space for looping bullshit.

The way they've implemented Embalm retains a lot of the Flashback characteristics in that it makes a permanent without giving you a ton of ground for recurrence bullshit (which is the primary concern with putting Flashback on a creature). This solution doesn't synergise with Emerge upon reanimation (meaning you can emerge the base creature, but not the reanimated version), doesn't interact with Prized Amalgam, and doesn't let you flicker cards for value.

It's a mechanic that has a lot of potential to break and this solution, while not the most elegant answer in the world, prevents a LOT of shenanigans.

I get the issue, and I like the design space they're exploring. I'm just critiquing the solution they came up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

...why would it? Relentless Dead has no inherent synergy with Embalm.
The set might have some buff black Zombie Jackals, and almost definitely something to buff 'em.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

They could have just done the same "exile it when it leaves the battlefield" thing that Unearth did to prevent infinite recursion. I guess the logic is that there would be memory issues, but it's not like the little "Embalm" markers from the punch-out card wouldn't take care of that already.

The Unearth-style approach would let you Emerge with the resurrected creature but I'm not sure why that's a bad thing? Embalm is priced on the assumption that the creature will stick around and probably has higher cost than the actual CMC, so it's not like you'd be getting a special discount. Sacrificing a CMC 2 embalmed creature is still giving up a CMC 2 creature you control that wouldn't have just gone away on its own.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Unearth isn't a big issue because it is that turn, not ??? Turns later.

Flickering is also more of an issue when it lasts more than a turn.

Alaan fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 27, 2017

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Lottery of Babylon posted:

They could have just done the same "exile it when it leaves the battlefield" thing that Unearth did to prevent infinite recursion. I guess the logic is that there would be memory issues, but it's not like the little "Embalm" markers from the punch-out card wouldn't take care of that already.

except that text you suggest allows you to use eldrazi displacer and the like to make it possible to repeat it over and over.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

That bit is the worst part of unearth, because the way it skips the actual dying part is very counterintuitive. (It's actually "if it would leave the battlefield".)

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

They could have just done the same "exile it when it leaves the battlefield" thing that Unearth did to prevent infinite recursion.

Unearth allows you to use blink effects (like Eldrazi Displacer) to reuse those creatures without the negatives.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

TheTofuShop posted:

except that text you suggest allows you to use eldrazi displacer and the like to make it possible to repeat it over and over.

Then maybe a card from BFZ block that isn't Gideon might actually have a shot at seeing play for a couple months. (Wasn't Amonkhet designed under the assumption that it wouldn't share standard with Displacer anyhow?)

I dunno, it just feels like a clunkier mechanic than it needs to be. It gets rid of the actual creature card while making something that's almost identical (to the point where the little punch-out "Embalmed" tokens seem to be for letting you represent the token with the card itself), and the way it modifies the card characteristics is oddly inconsistent (it's a zombie in addition to it's other types but white instead of its other colors; contrast all the cards that say "It's a black zombie in addition to its other types and colors" where it treats both characteristics the same). It'll still play really well because it's basically Flashback and Flashback is the best mechanic, but it feels like there should have been a much cleaner solution than "Dig through a pile of 25 different tokens."

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

odiv posted:

And between opponent and player. :eng101:
Isn't this actually a relevant upside that lets you put it on an opponent's creature? Maybe they just wanted to give players that option.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 27, 2017

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

FordCQC posted:

Heh, the White Zombie set. Does every box come with a single of More Human than Human?

Yeahhhhh

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

masterpiece series this block are sorceries apparently. gonna laugh if damnation is one of em

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Here's a counterpoint re: Embalming: This is evidently a "zombies matter" sort of set. Any mechanic that doesn't clearly show that this returning creature is a zombie is strictly worse than one that does, because you'd eventually just end up scribbling a big Z on a scrap of paper and sticking it in the sleeve anyway.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Then maybe a card from BFZ block that isn't Gideon might actually have a shot at seeing play for a couple months. (Wasn't Amonkhet designed under the assumption that it wouldn't share standard with Displacer anyhow?)

I dunno, it just feels like a clunkier mechanic than it needs to be. It gets rid of the actual creature card while making something that's almost identical (to the point where the little punch-out "Embalmed" tokens seem to be for letting you represent the token with the card itself), and the way it modifies the card characteristics is oddly inconsistent (it's a zombie in addition to it's other types but white instead of its other colors; contrast all the cards that say "It's a black zombie in addition to its other types and colors" where it treats both characteristics the same). It'll still play really well because it's basically Flashback and Flashback is the best mechanic, but it feels like there should have been a much cleaner solution than "Dig through a pile of 25 different tokens."

You've seen literally 1 card with embalm, and it was a white card with a white token. What are you getting so worked up about? How is a white cards token being white inconsistent?

Edit: okay so they are all white and a zombie, they will be a bit annoying without the tokens that go along but once everyone learns it it'll be okay.

TwistedNails fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 27, 2017

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The preview article actually does state all Embalmed creatures pop out strictly white tokens.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

TwistedNails posted:

You've seen literally 1 card with embalm, and it was a white card with a white token. What are you getting so worked up about? How is a white cards token being white inconsistent?

quote:

And now that it's all service, all the time and doesn't care about whatever it was it cared about while alive, it's white instead of whatever color it used to be.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

its me glenda posted:

masterpiece series this block are sorceries apparently. gonna laugh if damnation is one of em

Reprint Imperial Seal.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Cool, thank you. I've only been able to read the cards so far.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Ancestral Vision even has pyramids!!

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

just going back to the starter plainswalker deck chat from a couple of pages ago, but if loving amazes me that the plainswalkers are poo poo for the reason of "we know we'd sell a poo poo load of these if we put good cards in them and we can't have people wanting to buy our product"

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Isn't this actually a relevant upside that lets you put it on an opponent's creature? Maybe they just wanted to give players that option.

Nah it doesn't work that way. It gives the ability to the creature, so if you put this on an opponent's creature and then the opponent's creature hits you, they draw the card. If it said "whenever enchanted creature deals damage to an opponent, draw a card," then you'd draw the card.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

AceClown posted:

just going back to the starter plainswalker deck chat from a couple of pages ago, but if loving amazes me that the plainswalkers are poo poo for the reason of "we know we'd sell a poo poo load of these if we put good cards in them and we can't have people wanting to buy our product"

they make plenty of precon product

literally the only reason the planeswalker deck exists is to sucker brand new players into buying a shiny planeswalker and lovely deck that will get them destroyed at fnm

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

While I do wish precon products were actually any good, I can only imagine stores selling out of intro product because of hoarding nerds is kind of a pain in the rear end for everyone involved.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It would be if it weren't for the other real functional change that nobody's pointed out, which is that Keen Sense had a triggered ability, whereas Sixth Sense conveys a triggered ability upon enchanted creature.

So, with Keen Sense, you could attach it to something like a Jackal Pup that your opponent controlled and see the benefit.

With Sixth Sense it's much more intuitively simple. You don't want to put it on anything other than your own creatures, but you also get to jack it if you use a Treason or Mind-Control effect. This is almost certainly the way the Devs prefer it.

Speaking of Jackal Pup, I guess it's gonna get an oracle creature-type update...

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Eikre posted:

It would be if it weren't for the other real functional change that nobody's pointed out, which is that Keen Sense had a triggered ability, whereas Sixth Sense conveys a triggered ability upon enchanted creature.

:colbert:

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

AceClown posted:

WOTC is so dumb sometimes, look at the very popular Commander 2016 set. They stopped producing it way before demand was met. Now the atraxa decks are crazy priced.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Yep, beat me while I was writing words.

Willeh posted:

Can't wait to confuse +1/+1 and -1/-1 counters in limited :toot:

Siivola posted:

I think Maro's gone on record saying that they only use one or the other within a block because of that.

I don't get that poo poo. Why is this any different from confusing +1/+1 and -1/-1 counters in constructed?

People will either arrive prepared, or they won't. If they do, then they'll know to bring two colors of glass bead. If they don't, then they're still hosed for good play pieces and have to tear up pieces of paper like a savage or exchange a dollar for a fistful of pennies, and in those cases they can either write on them or use heads and tails for positive and negative, respectively.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

Also a psa, I imagine relentless dead is about to get some heavy speculation due to the zombie theme. I would point to drana spikes in recent memory.

If for some reason you just love zombies and haven't bought them yet this is the last time a playset is going to cost you less than 20 bucks for a while. I don't know if its even going to be good if zombies are good due to the double black but who knows. If you own some I would keep them in a sleeve and trade them bitches when it spikes at 20.

Embalm doesn't turn on Prized Amalgam.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

Siivola posted:

While I do wish precon products were actually any good, I can only imagine stores selling out of intro product because of hoarding nerds is kind of a pain in the rear end for everyone involved.

Well sure, but, I dunno, WotC could maybe just print more? And if those get sold out, then they can print even more more. It honestly baffles me sometimes that Wizards act like they are not, in fact, the people creating Magic. Like when they go "well we were going to do X, but it doesn't fit the lore, so we didn't" or "Well, we want people to have access to X, but unfortunately the print run is out."

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Why would anyone crack packs if they sold good cards in a box?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Eikre posted:

I don't get that poo poo. Why is this any different from confusing +1/+1 and -1/-1 counters in constructed?

People will either arrive prepared, or they won't. If they do, then they'll know to bring two colors of glass bead. If they don't, then they're still hosed for good play pieces and have to tear up pieces of paper like a savage or exchange a dollar for a fistful of pennies, and in those cases they can either write on them or use heads and tails for positive and negative, respectively.

Most people arrive at a draft with literally nothing with them. Coming to a constructed event takes some preparation, so it's more expected that people will have what they need.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Siivola posted:

Why would anyone crack packs if they sold good cards in a box?

Commander 2016 was so good, it's why Kaladesh didn't sell very well.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
If you play magic and don't bring dice and tokens you are a loving savage.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

honestly if you don't bring a $100 deckbox with 20 compartments, stainless steel dice, 100 tokens of each type you may need, enough paper to run an office for a year, and a completely unsleeved T1 deck then you probably shouldn't be playing magic

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

ThePeavstenator posted:

honestly if you don't bring a $100 deckbox with 20 compartments, stainless steel dice, 100 tokens of each type you may need, enough paper to run an office for a year, and a completely unsleeved T1 deck then you probably shouldn't be playing magic

Wait is this the part where we take photos of our MTG bag and its contents? This seems like a good derail.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i dont have an mtg bag, i just bring stuff in my pockets

if im not wearing a big enough jacket then i guess i'd just get a walmart bag to put stuff in

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

Eikre posted:

I am a dumbass, I meant constructed instead of limited :sigh:

But yeah, it can be potentially confusing as gently caress if people don't come prepared. Maybe someone will put out some acrylic tokens or w/e and magic will briefly look like it was produced by fantasy flight with a million counters on the table.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Everything goes in a backpack, generally because I'm only going with one or more friends and I need to make sure I have deck boxes and playmats for all of us.

Always short on dice, though.

E: Also I'm a loving savage who never has tokens for my constructed decks

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Are FNM sanctioned drafts supposed to provide land?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

PJOmega posted:

Are FNM sanctioned drafts supposed to provide land?

yeah but lol if you don't bring your own pre-sleeved Unhinged 2 full-art lands

*puts lands into $1500 Louis Vuitton messenger back used only for carrying magic cards, walks into oncoming traffic*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Deckbox made from a cigar box, with a homemade dice box that fits in the lid. I swap this out for a regular plastic deckbox with lands and sleeves for limited.
Deckbox full of Pokemon cards for tokens.
Fancy playmat case with an Inked Playmats playmat of this panel from Transformers: More than Meets the Eye.
Playmat case has a tray with some solder discs and spindowns for noting weird stuff like which creatures Tamiyo tapped down, etc.
Boogie Board for life total and notes. Paper and pen come out for serious business tournaments.
Magic Scholarship Series backpack, falling apart from use.

It's absurd to me that there isn't a Junior Super Series still in existance. I would not be playing Magic still if the JSS was never a thing.

• Locked thread