Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

redleader posted:

rod rocket will get you a job

mate don't taunt me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

echinopsis posted:

mate don't taunt me

he's not wrong m8

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:/

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

the illusion is that everyone else is tef levels of smart but the reality is all of us are middling-tier intelligence and know how to use google

you've demonstrated an ability to go out on your own and learn a tech and make something out of it. that's literally 90% of the job

the other 10% is being able to talk to other people

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Maximum Leader posted:

I guess I'm sort of where I should be then, any opinions on the best tech cities in Europe?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states_in_Europe_by_GDP_(PPP)_per_capita

sort by 2015 gdp descending and replace each country with its capital / biggest city, voila, a list of the best tech cities in europe

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Rex-Goliath posted:

the illusion is that everyone else is tef levels of smart but the reality is all of us are middling-tier intelligence and know how to use google

you've demonstrated an ability to go out on your own and learn a tech and make something out of it. that's literally 90% of the job

programming isn't even about being smart really, it's mostly about doing some half-assed poo poo that solves the problem

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i'd take a mediocre coder with good communication over a good coder with mediocre communication

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

poty posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states_in_Europe_by_GDP_(PPP)_per_capita

sort by 2015 gdp descending and replace each country with its capital / biggest city, voila, a list of the best tech cities in europe

idk about luxembourg tbh, you really need to be able to speak French or German there.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rex-Goliath posted:

well this makes me feel ok about myself.. and welp talking to others is probably my strong point

tef once commented on some python I wrote and said it was uite well done. maybe he was taking the piss

St Evan Echoes posted:

i'd take a mediocre coder with good communication over a good coder with mediocre communication

tbh I could probably learn to be a good coder

guess problem is I live in fuckin christchurch so job opportunites are growing but still poo poo. welp. now I have to go take kids to school and head into the pharmacy and keep people maintained on their antipsychotics and dispense citalopram to every third person.. ahah the jys of working in a wealthy suburb

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

spankmeister posted:

idk about luxembourg tbh, you really need to be able to speak French or German there.

if its a multinational you can get by with english

afaik luxembourg is mostly amazon europe hq + banks

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Rex-Goliath posted:

Yeah when we were hiring for another developer seeing the resumes was eye opening

Like a couple of pretty good ones and a pile that ranged from mediocre to awful, like so awful you wonder what they expected

One guy had a cover letter that included a rant about how mean and unfair his PhD program was

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

ADINSX posted:

Moonlighting used to frowned on by employers because it meant you'd do a shitter job for them. I'm not sure what changed or why employers think "oh this guy loves his own projects so much he neglects his job to work on them" won't somehow apply to them once they've hired that employee.

I think the management storytime is that it indicates this person loves programming soooo much that they'll be thinking about how to accomplish your tasks even when they're at home or whatever.

To be fair there's a lot of aggrandizing poo poo out there about "well real programmers are just constantly obsessed with coding" so it's understandable that someone with no knowledge of it will accept that and think "oh okay so that's the kind of person I should look for when I need to hire a new website janitor."

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
it's definitely worth emphasizing that programming is not a skilled profession on the level of an engineer or tradesman, anyone can learn it and do so with a minimum of effort

the excessive compensation for programming positions is not indicative of its difficulty or value, so don't let that intimidate you if you want to pursue an easy way to earn money

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

DuckConference posted:

Yeah when we were hiring for another developer seeing the resumes was eye opening
keep in mind that the better a candidate is, the fewer CVs they send out before getting hired. as such awful candidates make up a disproportionate fraction of the CVs you receive

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:

echinopsis posted:

guess problem is I live in fuckin christchurch so job opportunites are growing but still poo poo. welp. now I have to go take kids to school and head into the pharmacy and keep people maintained on their antipsychotics and dispense citalopram to every third person.. ahah the jys of working in a wealthy suburb

doesn't wellington have a tech scene. take the ferry

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

echinopsis posted:

some things to bear in mind:
  • you are already a pharmacist

• pharmacists and software devs make very similar salaries in NZ

• as an outsider with no relevant education, you would be starting at the very bottom of the industry and making less money than average

• as an outsider with no relevant education, you would be the most likely to be discharged in a layoff, and the least employable afterwards

sure as poo poo don't do this for the money. that is an incredibly bad bet. the odds are that you'll never do any better than you are right now.

if you are just bored with dispensing citalopram maybe you could get into hospital pharmacy, that's where the weird and exciting stuff happens right?

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

live ur dreams

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

to type on the keyboard alot

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
recruiter updated job from "move to SF" to "completely remote" for a slightly reduced rate. very tempting

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

as an outsider with no relevant education, you would be the most likely to be discharged in a layoff, and the least employable afterwards

can confirm.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

if you're bored of dispensing drugs just start dipping in to your supply

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

poty posted:

if its a multinational you can get by with english

afaik luxembourg is mostly amazon europe hq + banks

ya p much they're there for tax reasons and there's a bunch of amazon everywhere so

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

pharmacists and software devs make very similar salaries in NZ
You could always emigrate to the promised land

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

ShadowHawk posted:

Yes let's bunk up for $2000/mo to write fart apps on an H1B that you don't know if trump and his cronies will take from you at any time

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

eh we've had roombas for a while now

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

quote:

Our representative will call you to give you the coding challenge. You are REQUIRED to complete the challenge in C++.

lol you can tell a startup is a bunch of academics when they are using C++ for embedded systems

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Rudest Buddhist posted:

Next call scheduled for this morning. A company I did a 5.5 hour interview with two weeks ago reached out to me on Friday that they want me to do a homework project. They're going to call me at 9am this morning.

haha wtf is this poo poo

"we just can't seem to get any good devs, there's just not enough of them and the people we start to like always get poached" *has 2 month interview process*

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

echinopsis posted:

oh poo poo, you're in chch? i thought you lived in the hawkes bay or something equally provincial.

i don't know how good the job market is at the moment. i suspect that all the wynyard devs left in the cold when that collapsed have moved on to other things, but can't be sure. a couple of places seem to be hiring fairly frequently - datacom, telogis, maybe jade and sli?

you'd have a good chance of breaking in as a q.a. person, but gently caress that.

notorious bsd is probably right about $$$

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

spankmeister posted:

Yes let's bunk up for $2000/mo to write fart apps on an H1B that you don't know if trump and his cronies will take from you at any time

in nz, the promised land is america's little brother, australia

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

echinopsis posted:

guess problem is I live in fuckin christchurch so job opportunites are growing but still poo poo.

mate, i have a solution for you :smug:

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe

lancemantis posted:

haha wtf is this poo poo

"we just can't seem to get any good devs, there's just not enough of them and the people we start to like always get poached" *has 2 month interview process*

Yep, and then they missed the call this morning. I emailed the HR lady asking if we were still doing this, she called me back 15 min later apologizing that the homework guy is in meetings all day. Now they're going to call me at 6:30pm.

lol

edit: Bleh, I already said that this morning. Taking phone screens at work all day, it's been a long one.

Rudest Buddhist fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 28, 2017

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

Fun Shoe
I've got four phone screens set up for the next week :)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

some things to bear in mind:
  • you are already a pharmacist

• pharmacists and software devs make very similar salaries in NZ

• as an outsider with no relevant education, you would be starting at the very bottom of the industry and making less money than average

• as an outsider with no relevant education, you would be the most likely to be discharged in a layoff, and the least employable afterwards

sure as poo poo don't do this for the money. that is an incredibly bad bet. the odds are that you'll never do any better than you are right now.

if you are just bored with dispensing citalopram maybe you could get into hospital pharmacy, that's where the weird and exciting stuff happens right?

no the there is a big income disparity

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

redleader posted:

in nz, the promised land is america's little brother, australia

lol i get emails about urgent locums in the outback getting only a couple more dollars per hour than i get here. shits hosed up

mishaq posted:

mate, i have a solution for you :smug:

i heard the deepthroating scene in auckland is subpar

redleader posted:

oh poo poo, you're in chch? i thought you lived in the hawkes bay or something equally provincial.

i don't know how good the job market is at the moment. i suspect that all the wynyard devs left in the cold when that collapsed have moved on to other things, but can't be sure. a couple of places seem to be hiring fairly frequently - datacom, telogis, maybe jade and sli?

you'd have a good chance of breaking in as a q.a. person, but gently caress that.

notorious bsd is probably right about $$$

pharmacy market is just as poo poo if not worse. like single digit jobs if that. i'm just locuming and of course wanna lock it down steady in pharmacy but i need a longer term vision. plus it has all sorts of workplace benefits that pharmacies never have :/

idk imma keep scouring seek.co.nz and maybe for shits and giggles do a few of these online courses, keep climbing the pharmacy ladder, of which there isn't ..

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Rudest Buddhist posted:

I've got four phone screens set up for the next week :)

I had 3 last week plus an in person meeting and two interviews. this week is slow with only two calls scheduled

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

The Management posted:

using C++ for embedded systems

it is technically possible for this to be a good thing, but lol it never will be in practice

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

Fun Shoe

The Management posted:

I had 3 last week plus an in person meeting and two interviews. this week is slow with only two calls scheduled

Nice! :hfive:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

ShadowHawk posted:

hes already there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

new zealand owns

• Locked thread