Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

qirex posted:

not normally but it happens and you don't have complete control over how your day is going to go so just interview in the morning

Gazpacho posted:

Why do you think he was job hunting

fair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

mishaq posted:

lol if a full day at the office drains you

:smith:

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

mishaq posted:

lol if a full day at the office drains you

my last office was an especially cramped open office with bad air quality, a full day there was exhausting.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I'm drained and I didn't even do any work today

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

The Management posted:

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

your username really improves many of your posts, but had to eq cause :same:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
so it's end of day Friday and I still haven't heard back from the company I interviewed with at the start of the week. they've been slow with everything else so it's not unusual but still making me antsy.

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe
Yep, no one doing anything on a Friday. Don't take it personal.

I spent the day firing off resumes. Now I'm gonna head home, drink a beer, and run through InterviewCake. The saga continues. See you next week.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

The Management posted:

Tiredness vs amount of work done is generally a u-shaped curve

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
aag loving CA recruiter calls me at 7:59 east coast while im getting kids in the bath and then immediately leaves for the weekend with a "call me back asap" voicemail :argh:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Rudest Buddhist posted:

I spent the day firing off resumes. Now I'm gonna head home, drink a beer, and run through InterviewCake. The saga continues. See you next week.

Thanks for reminding me that the technical interview has spawned a whole branch of industry that will further serve to entrench it; more SAT prep yay!

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

carry on then posted:

you see, a PMPĀ®'s love is very different from that of a square...

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rudest Buddhist posted:

what's interview cake

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

echinopsis posted:

what's interview cake

It looks like one of those PUA training sites but for interviews.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

lancemantis posted:

Thanks for reminding me that the technical interview has spawned a whole branch of industry that will further serve to entrench it; more SAT prep yay!
on that note I'm pretty sure my time spent as an SAT prep teacher prepared me very well for doing whiteboard interviews

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

spankmeister posted:

It looks like one of those PUA training sites but for interviews.

lolllll

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Management posted:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
k so that job I was into fell over and that's fine

but it's clear I need to move industries in a way. pharmacy is ok but dying and while I wanna keep my finger in the pie, I think IT in general is where I wanna move into. obv a role combing hte two would be ideal but reagrdless, willing to start at bottom so looking at tech support stuff which maybe someone willing to get me in on thre ground floor.

but there are boatlods of online courses from MIT and etc.. not all free.. are these worthwhile? would they make my cv any good at all? or am I just wasting my time. I mean I,m interested in general as it stands but you know what I mean right?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

echinopsis posted:

k so that job I was into fell over and that's fine

but it's clear I need to move industries in a way. pharmacy is ok but dying and while I wanna keep my finger in the pie, I think IT in general is where I wanna move into. obv a role combing hte two would be ideal but reagrdless, willing to start at bottom so looking at tech support stuff which maybe someone willing to get me in on thre ground floor.

but there are boatlods of online courses from MIT and etc.. not all free.. are these worthwhile? would they make my cv any good at all? or am I just wasting my time. I mean I,m interested in general as it stands but you know what I mean right?
You could learn to program and then write a program and then point to that program as evidence that you can write programs

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
rod rocket aint getting me jobs

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i wrote some dumb android apps and used them to get a job

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

put rod rocket on the phone

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
rod rocket will get you a job

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

lancemantis posted:

this thread is a great reminder that the skills used to filter candidates are often the ones people need refreshed because they don't (or very rarely) use them on the job

I find it helps to laugh when faced with the kind of situation that might have been in a first draft of Brazil but got cut for being too obviously stupid

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

redleader posted:

rod rocket will get you a job

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

if you don't know how to use git: teach yourself git and host your stuff on github. then take those online courses if you want and any time you learn something that inspires you apply it to game & check it in

doing this will put you in the top %1 of candidates. not exaggerating

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Yeah most of the working devs I know don't have a single side project at all that they've ever completed. It's cool if you don't wanna program outside of work but doing so really does put you above a lot of candidates.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Updated resume this weekend, it's time to start looking. Feels weird because my current job is decent, but to get some career progression happening I'm going to need to change companies.

How is the market for embedded C development given that it isn't as sexy as all that machine learning and JavaScript bullshit the kids are into these days?

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

PokeJoe posted:

Yeah most of the working devs I know don't have a single side project at all that they've ever completed. It's cool if you don't wanna program outside of work but doing so really does put you above a lot of candidates.

Moonlighting used to frowned on by employers because it meant you'd do a shitter job for them. I'm not sure what changed or why employers think "oh this guy loves his own projects so much he neglects his job to work on them" won't somehow apply to them once they've hired that employee.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

ADINSX posted:

Moonlighting used to frowned on by employers because it meant you'd do a shitter job for them. I'm not sure what changed or why employers think "oh this guy loves his own projects so much he neglects his job to work on them" won't somehow apply to them once they've hired that employee.

im guessing its more of a ``this sucker will do extra work for free''

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

George posted:

im guessing its more of a ``this sucker will do extra work for free''

Yeah they'll do extra work... for themselves...

All the people I know who work on stuff seriously after work also work on their side projects at work.

ADINSX fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 27, 2017

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

ADINSX posted:

Yeah he'll do extra work... for themselves...

All the people I know who work on stuff seriously after work also work on their side projects at work.

i'm also gonna say a lot of this is due to bad management, if work tasks feel like turning a crank that's connected to nothing at all then people will look for other ways to fill time.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

also i just got played into revealing my current compensation by a company's recruiter because i'm an idiot and some of them are so drat smooth. she was just so friendly!

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

Fun Shoe
Recruiter calls me at 8:30am today. Asks if I can come to his office in 30 minutes to interview for a Go position. lol nope, need to go to my current job, he says he's going to email me more positions. I have yet to hear anything an hour and a half later.

Next call scheduled for this morning. A company I did a 5.5 hour interview with two weeks ago reached out to me on Friday that they want me to do a homework project. They're going to call me at 9am this morning.

9am rolls around and no call. I email at 9:15 to ask if we're still doing this and get a hurried call at 9:30 telling me the guy to give me my homework is in meetings all day, and we reschedule for 6:30ish.

interviewing and job hunting really is garbage.

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

Fun Shoe

Munkeymon posted:

I find it helps to laugh when faced with the kind of situation that might have been in a first draft of Brazil but got cut for being too obviously stupid

here we go :)

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

DuckConference posted:

Updated resume this weekend, it's time to start looking. Feels weird because my current job is decent, but to get some career progression happening I'm going to need to change companies.

How is the market for embedded C development given that it isn't as sexy as all that machine learning and JavaScript bullshit the kids are into these days?

IoT IoT IoT!!!!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

DuckConference posted:

i know a company looking for IoT people, how do you feel about homegroan network stacks?

also, do you want to be a light bulb programmer?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

DuckConference posted:

it's surprisingly really good right now. all of the big traditionally pure software companies (Amazon, Microsoft, google, Facebook) are now making hardware and there is a ton of investment cash flowing into startups doing IoT, cloud, self driving cats, and other robot stuff and home stuff. and you don't need to know about machine learning / AI, those guys still need a platform to run on. now is a great time to be on the market for embedded work.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

The Management posted:

self driving cats

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

i know a company looking for IoT people, how do you feel about homegroan network stacks?

also, do you want to be a light bulb programmer?

Lwip suited our needs just fine why would you homegroan it?

• Locked thread