Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Bust Rodd posted:

Possibly because Bojack has all the attention and acclaim it needs, he really wants his other show to take off.

I watched the first season of Flaked and just feel like absolutely nothing of any importance took place during pretty much the entire season. I found that if you make a show where pretty much no one really cares about anything, the viewer can't really care about anything either.

Conversely I really like Flaked, a show where a guy makes bad decisions because he's a self-centered jerk. I am surprised the Bojack crowd does not enjoy it.

The plot with the girl is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
bojack hits way way too close to home for me personally.. The point where bojack got called out on bringing in loser-waifs to his home and then shutting them out for being failures hit way too close for me, personally.

Yet after that, everything else after that point involves me having an emotional investment on watching bojack climb up out of his doldrums and into something better - even if I am pretty sure it will either not happen, or crash and burn somehow.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

PittTheElder posted:

Conversely I really like Flaked, a show where a guy makes bad decisions because he's a self-centered jerk. I am surprised the Bojack crowd does not enjoy it.

The plot with the girl is good.

The humor & levity provided by BJH is honestly just a very different kind of funny than the very dry "watch me be a petty loser" stuff Flaked does. When Bojack gets petty we get the muffins episode, we punting millions to charity for Daniel Radcliffe's stripper named Charity. So much of BJH's lasting charm was in quirky animal jokes, I just kept watching Flaked to see if it got really funny and/or if that girl Arnett bangs in the first episode goes topless again.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I love how whenever they get a celebrity to play themselves like say, Daniel Radcliffe, the voice director probably tells them, you're not Daniel Radcliffe, you're a guy who can do a perfect Daniel Radcliffe impression because they always sound a little off, but in a good way

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Too bad Andrew Garfield didn't actually cameo, that would've added a bit more fun to his moments

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
Every sad Bojack moment

:smith:

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

...gently caress, man. What else is there to say?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

That's too much, man.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Amazed it's only 61 videos TBH.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Contrary to their original intended purpose, cartoons now amplify depression

What a world we live in!

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
https://twitter.com/BoJackHorseman/status/836082284348366849

:allears:

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

I literally could not stop laughing as it happened.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I didn't watch most of the Oscars but when I read about it this morning that was pretty much the first thing that came to mind :laugh:

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Calaveron posted:

I love how whenever they get a celebrity to play themselves like say, Daniel Radcliffe, the voice director probably tells them, you're not Daniel Radcliffe, you're a guy who can do a perfect Daniel Radcliffe impression because they always sound a little off, but in a good way

Daniel Radcliffe plays himself perfectly

Andenalli
Sep 17, 2007

I'm unique, just like
everyone else
First Hollyweed and now the Oscars. I hope someone is keeping tabs on Margo Martindale these days.

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

anivasion posted:

First Hollyweed and now the Oscars. I hope someone is keeping tabs on Esteemed Character Actress Margo Martindale these days.

Fixed

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

anivasion posted:

First Hollyweed and now the Oscars. I hope someone is keeping tabs on Margo Martindale these days.

Are we professional blimp pilots, or are we casting directors?

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
My favorite line in this show: "Well, you know, the sound guy's wife works with at-risk teens. And I was like, 'Yeah, that's okay, but compared to what my wife is doing, your wife is bullshit!'"

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Well poo poo, I finally found a reason to need to watch Days of Thunder - it was Esteemed Character Actress Margo Martindale's first film role. :3:

http://www.indiewire.com/2016/08/margo-martindale-the-hollars-bojack-horseman-1201720294/

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Trip report, there was only one scene that I think I saw Margot Martindale in at the very beginning (she was sitting in one of those big tall chairs like a tennis umpire). I forgot how awful the music was back in the 90s though.

Also, Neal McBeal got himself into trouble recently http://www.seattlepi.com/local/crime/article/Charge-Kirkland-dentist-pulled-gun-on-bar-patrons-10975828.php

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Buzkashi posted:

My favorite line in this show: "Well, you know, the sound guy's wife works with at-risk teens. And I was like, 'Yeah, that's okay, but compared to what my wife is doing, your wife is bullshit!'"

This has caught me off-guard every time I rewatch it when introducing the show to a friend. PFT just loving nails that delivery and it's so unnecessarily mean, especially coming from Mr. Peanutbutter.

i am the bird fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 7, 2017

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

coyo7e posted:

Well poo poo, I finally found a reason to need to watch Days of Thunder - it was Esteemed Character Actress Margo Martindale's first film role. :3:

The first role I can actually remember Margo Martindale in was as one of the waitresses in The Rocketeer.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Got a friend to start watching, he's near the end of season 2 and his conclusion is that the reason the show has such a slow start in season one is that a lot of the humor is self-referential and parody. It has a slow start to let itself actually build up the characters so it can start making the endless jokes and gags. Pretty much every character on the show has a strong "gimmick" or gag, so you need that time at the start to set aside and build up the characters to actually milk the humor out of it. See: "What are you doing here?" or "Hollywoo" or Wanda talking about pagers and beepers as she builds herself up to cell phones and on and on.

Maybe the first few episodes could have been stronger on their own, but I think he's right in seeing the series as needing time to explain all the characters and throw them into the horrible situations they make for themselves on the backs of their flaws and mistakes. All the dark humor comes later, where the show is at its strongest, but the lame animal puns and lighter humor that keep you aloof is there from the start.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I genuinely don't get the "Show starts bad, gets good" thing. I think the show starts as a funny cartoon about a dick horse and then becomes an emotionally charged exploration of shame, guilt and deliverance as a cycle, not a linear path.

Like we get Neal McBeall and Zoe & Zelda from the first 6 episodes alone, we get a whole episode about Sarah-Lynn (which upon rewatching is literally 25 minutes of foreshadowing the emotional core of the show), the whole Boston episode is loving brilliant... The show starts off strong, albeit zany and weird, but then ascends to "literally the best cartoon being made right now", it doesn't start in a dumpster and get OK.

EDIT: "And thus concludes our tour, have a Borean-derful day!" loving LMAO

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 10, 2017

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Bust Rodd posted:

I genuinely don't get the "Show starts bad, gets good" thing. I think the show starts as a funny cartoon about a dick horse and then becomes an emotionally charged exploration of shame, guilt and deliverance as a cycle, not a linear path.

Like we get Neal McBeall and Zoe & Zelda from the first 6 episodes alone, we get a whole episode about Sarah-Lynn (which upon rewatching is literally 25 minutes of foreshadowing the emotional core of the show), the whole Boston episode is loving brilliant... The show starts off strong, albeit zany and weird, but then ascends to "literally the best cartoon being made right now", it doesn't start in a dumpster and get OK.

EDIT: "And thus concludes our tour, have a Borean-derful day!" loving LMAO

Agreed. I'm only ever willing to concede the first episode because viewers a) don't know the emotional depth of the show yet and b) it's just genuinely the least-funny episode of the series. But even then, it has a lot of vulnerability to it, so I think people who dismiss it as MacFarlane-esque aren't giving credit to some really good scenes and instead are focusing on a couple swing-and-a-miss jokes. BoJack's relationship with Princess Carolyn is pretty well defined from the get-go, but people tend to only talk about the "girlfriend wants a baby" cutaway joke. The scene where BoJack meets Diane is also wonderful, but it gets derailed by the "you had sex with him?" joke that, for me, doesn't land.

One day I'll write my manifesto about this show.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
One day I hope to own a Criterion edition of the complete series on Indigo-Ray data crystals

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

i am the bird posted:

Agreed. I'm only ever willing to concede the first episode because viewers a) don't know the emotional depth of the show yet and b) it's just genuinely the least-funny episode of the series. But even then, it has a lot of vulnerability to it, so I think people who dismiss it as MacFarlane-esque aren't giving credit to some really good scenes and instead are focusing on a couple swing-and-a-miss jokes. BoJack's relationship with Princess Carolyn is pretty well defined from the get-go, but people tend to only talk about the "girlfriend wants a baby" cutaway joke. The scene where BoJack meets Diane is also wonderful, but it gets derailed by the "you had sex with him?" joke that, for me, doesn't land.

It doesn't help that whoever made the early trailer/preview apparently thought the show was all about those kinds of jokes, since it showed the "you had sex with him?" routine in full.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Data Graham posted:

It doesn't help that whoever made the early trailer/preview apparently thought the show was all about those kinds of jokes, since it showed the "you had sex with him?" routine in full.

It's been said before but the interns in charge of the trailers and episode summaries at Netflix do such a bad job that after a point you start to wonder if its intentional.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

i am the bird posted:

Agreed. I'm only ever willing to concede the first episode because viewers a) don't know the emotional depth of the show yet and b) it's just genuinely the least-funny episode of the series. But even then, it has a lot of vulnerability to it, so I think people who dismiss it as MacFarlane-esque aren't giving credit to some really good scenes and instead are focusing on a couple swing-and-a-miss jokes. BoJack's relationship with Princess Carolyn is pretty well defined from the get-go, but people tend to only talk about the "girlfriend wants a baby" cutaway joke.

Well there's also Bojack literally throwing her out of his moving vehicle. The Boston episode has the weird thing with Diane's dad's dead body in the barrel which then knocks out (kills?) an old lady. No they're not terrible episodes but there's more than a few try-hard edgy jokes, and they're a bit mean spirited for the sake of edginess. Bojack is an unlikable "jerkass" trope until the Boston episode. I think Macfarlane-esque is a fair description.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
I think those mean jokes sort of lend credibility to the character later on. I'm struggling to remember how I felt when I first watched them, before getting all the context of the later episodes, but I bet it didn't really stand out to me at the time, just seeing it as a family guy type joke.

Family Guy is full of detestable characters, abusing a teenage girl for no reason in a running gag that's been running into the ground like a broken robot. It's kinda nice to see that type of jerk character knocked off a pedestal, and real emotions being explored. Like the world, it's full of cartoony stupid whacky visual animal pun characters, but the issues it deals with are very serious, and that juxtaposition is critical to the entire series.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I threw on the pilot last night and just woke up to the Hank Hippopopolous episode and realized I haven't watched it since the season dropped and I didn't really notice how every single part of it (Manatee Fair, M.PB) is all about the industry, besides the Bill Cosby analogue, and how nobody listens to anyone , and Todd of all people is like the voice of the real world, screaming about genocide and war and all these real 3rd world problems and it's just so loving good holy poo poo.

This episode was lukewarmly received here but I honestly think for so many Hollywood insiders and do such a savage take-down of the entire industry with barely the tip of their tongue in cheek is just amazing, and the closing ("smile" *sigh) broke my heart just as much as it did when I burned it.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

Well there's also Bojack literally throwing her out of his moving vehicle. The Boston episode has the weird thing with Diane's dad's dead body in the barrel which then knocks out (kills?) an old lady. No they're not terrible episodes but there's more than a few try-hard edgy jokes, and they're a bit mean spirited for the sake of edginess. Bojack is an unlikable "jerkass" trope until the Boston episode. I think Macfarlane-esque is a fair description.

I might be biased from being a Red Sox fan / having lived in Boston for 13 years but I loved that episode. Derek Jeter (and his fat face) stealing the old lady's purse and running away cracked me up.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
I binged this show over the course of a few days. Previously saw the last few episodes of season 3 with a friend, so I was spoiled for a bunch of stuff, but that was what convinced me to watch so it worked out.

I'm a goddamn sap though, because my favorite scene of the whole show was Mr Peanutbutter's phone call with Diane in the season 2 finale. It's just this perfect moment of unconditional love and grace.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

I binged this show over the course of a few days. Previously saw the last few episodes of season 3 with a friend, so I was spoiled for a bunch of stuff, but that was what convinced me to watch so it worked out.

I'm a goddamn sap though, because my favorite scene of the whole show was Mr Peanutbutter's phone call with Diane in the season 2 finale. It's just this perfect moment of unconditional love and grace.

Best username.

That phone call is so high up for me in best scenes too. I love Mr Peanutbutter so much and by the end of this show I don't care if Bojack offs himself, I just want Mr PB to have a happy ending :unsmith:

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Hedrigall posted:

I love Mr Peanutbutter so much and by the end of this show I don't care if Bojack offs himself, I just want Mr PB to have a happy ending :unsmith:

His life already is a happy ending. He's a rich and well-liked celebrity whose career is in an upswing, and he's emotionally healthy and capable of love, contentment, and open communication with his spouse. The worst thing I can picture happening to him is Diane divorcing him, mostly because she's only functional compared to Bojack.

He's the perfect foil to Bojack, because he's a version of him without crippling depression and wildly self-destructive impulses. He'll be fine.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Xealot posted:

His life already is a happy ending. He's a rich and well-liked celebrity whose career is in an upswing, and he's emotionally healthy and capable of love, contentment, and open communication with his spouse. The worst thing I can picture happening to him is Diane divorcing him, mostly because she's only functional compared to Bojack.

He's the perfect foil to Bojack, because he's a version of him without crippling depression and wildly self-destructive impulses. He'll be fine.

Campaigning for the governorship is going to put all kinds of crazy stress on his marriage. :ohdear:

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

prefect posted:

Campaigning for the governorship is going to put all kinds of crazy stress on his marriage. :ohdear:

Plus Diane is going to go too far with this blog thing isn't she? They were already 5 big fights away from divorce in the last season. I can't see them making it through another.

Andenalli
Sep 17, 2007

I'm unique, just like
everyone else

SEX BURRITO posted:

Plus Diane is going to go too far with this blog thing isn't she? They were already 5 big fights away from divorce in the last season. I can't see them making it through another.

They pretty much set it up for Diane to use her intimate knowledge of him to ruin his political career which would result in HIM divorcing her. But that was the set up. Both seasons finales set up scenarios that looked like sure things but that ended up going nowhere. Honestly, hoping this is the same.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I hope that Mr. Peanutbutter spies a tennis ball when he goes to submit the paperwork to run for governor and forgets all about it. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

counterfeitsaint posted:

I hope that Mr. Peanutbutter spies a tennis ball when he goes to submit the paperwork to run for governor and forgets all about it. :3:

I get the feeling his ex-wife is going to work hard to keep him on target. At least they don't seem like they're likely to get back together.