Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Also what the gently caress Nioh is not an RPG at all

It absolutely is.

Still pretty early (just beat the second real boss) and I'm enjoying the game more than any part of Bloodbourne, Dark Souls 2, or the last half of Dark Souls.

It's a game that hits a great balance between execution, reaction, and action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Many games are RPGs

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Weebs think Japan was always great, more news at 11.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

gently caress, replaying Tactics Ogre

Serf
May 5, 2011

Prey is an unpcoming RPG that I am looking forward to.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I saw that and could hear the announcer's voice

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I saw that and could hear the announcer's voice

Same

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I wish someone would rip off the Ogre Battle gameplay type, not even indie kickstarters have caught on to this dead genre yet

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Two games isn't really a genre

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

MinibarMatchman posted:

I wish someone would rip off the Ogre Battle gameplay type, not even indie kickstarters have caught on to this dead genre yet

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/03/27/chronicle-ruin-real-time-tactical-jrpg-inspired-ogre-battle/

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Speaking of dead genres with only two members that someone should really get around to aping, Myth

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

haveblue posted:

Speaking of dead genres with only two members that someone should really get around to aping, Myth

They made a Myth 3. "They" was not Bungie. It was bad.

I'd love a proper sequel though.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Ogre battle was really amazing but I found it really hard and never got very far in it 😥

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I think RPGs should explain their mechanics better

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Ogre Battle and Tactics Ogre are cool.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

bloodychill posted:

Weebs think Japan was always great, more news at 11.

Are you saying it's high time someone made Japan great again?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Are you saying it's high time someone made Japan great again?

I'm saying Japan has the best games, the very best games.

But no, there was a dev lull for a while as they took some time to get HD poo poo down and now a lot of anticipated games came out and are really good.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
In Skyrim am I gonna get a limited number of perk points, or can I eventually max out everything?

bloodychill posted:

I'm saying Japan has the best games, the very best games.

that is pretty undeniable.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I made it to the end of ogre battle 64, but I let one party soak up most of the exp so I was spread too thin with the rest of my army to complete the final mission and I gave up.

If they put it up on the switch VC I'd be all over it again

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

man this looks ugly

Sakurazuka posted:

Two games isn't really a genre

it could have been :(

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Jay Rust posted:

I think RPGs should explain their mechanics better

I thought Cid was already a well-developed character.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Sakurazuka posted:

Many games are RPGs

To me, RPG is like saying "third person" or "first person" without any other descriptor - it just describes some aspect of the game without completing defining it. In this case being quartermaster for a bunch of poo poo you find lying around the missions, characters gaining levels, etc.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Also what the gently caress Nioh is not an RPG at all

:stare:

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

exquisite tea posted:

Biggs and Wedge 4 Lyfe

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

This is good

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I feel like when people argue that Nioh or Mass Effect are/aren't RPG's, they have very different ideas of what an RPG is.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
seriously can someone tell me what auto aim is...

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I hate work

I wanna go home and play Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE some more

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Stux posted:

seriously can someone tell me what auto aim is...

It's when you mash the lockon button while firing in Metroid Prime to take out a bunch of Shriekbats.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
It's like if cars had autopilot, except on a video game instead of a car

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
i dont think console fps games have that, not in multiplayer at least (i dont play single player usually outside of like, doom i guess)

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I'm just joking about that but I also don't play actual FPS games and thought auto aim was just when the game subtly changes your aim when you're close enough so that you can actually hit instead of just barely missing.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i did a goog

quote:

There are four types of aim assist in Halo titles: Snapping, Friction, Acceleration, and Magnetism.
Magnetism defines and outlines how far a bullet will "bend" in order to hit an enemy. Bullets and projectiles do not necessarily travel in a straight path; they will curve very slightly in order to hit a target. Different projectiles will experience different curvatures.
Snapping reorients the gun barrels toward enemies whenever a player's reticle are in proximity to their target.
Acceleration makes it so that when the player pegs their aiming stick in one direction the player's reticle will start moving slowly in that direction then pick up speed.
Friction slows the player's turn rate as soon as their reticule passes over an enemy. What it does is that it slows the player's top speed, and then dramatically decrease the rate at which the crosshair will slow down when the player release the stick.

this came up on a halo wiki but i think it applies to basically any fps console title you can name

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Turns out, my dad was holding onto the bike the whole time :(

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Phantasium posted:

I'm just joking about that but I also don't play actual FPS games and thought auto aim was just when the game subtly changes your aim when you're close enough so that you can actually hit instead of just barely missing.

its more it slows down your aim a bit when you are already on a target as well as (depending on the game) moving your crosshair a little towards the direction they are moving. like aim magnetism i guess? its also really annoying ina bunch of games and you're better off turning it off in them, its if it drags the crosshair mainly, because it means you can be aiming at something and have the game move you off your target as someone else runs by.

also if you play stuff like overwatch on console and play projectile characters like pharah where you're aiming where people are going to be 90% of the time it obviously doesnt do anything to help at all in that situation.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Cowcaster posted:

i did a goog

this came up on a halo wiki but i think it applies to basically any fps console title you can name

actually please dont use halo as an example because the weird bullet bending they do is entirely their own making and complete bizarre and mocked routinely

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Stux posted:

actually please dont use halo as an example because the weird bullet bending they do is entirely their own making and complete bizarre and mocked routinely

Who routinely mocks Halo's bullet bending?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
do however look up the halo 5 video where 343 are boasting about their bendy bullets because its extremely strange

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Stux posted:

ok here
https://www.destinygamewiki.com/wiki/Aim_Assist

quote:

Aim Assist
Aim Assis or Aim Assistance is the amount of slow down your crosshair will have when you hover over an enemy. Higher the ranged weapon stat is the greater aim assistance your weapon has and the more slow down you will have when you cover over an enemy.

Types of Aim Assist
Auto-Aim: It keeps your crosshair sticking on a target. Most gamers say that this leads to many fatalities, but 95% of the time, it is assisting you. You just do not notice when it is assisting you, because it is programmed to be like that all the time.

Bullet-magnetism: This is by how much the game forgives you for being slightly off-target. It leads to bullets to veer at any ever-so-slightly off-target to hit a mark at the more extreme end a hit-scan calculation. Without any bullet magnetism, your gun would have to strike the target precisely. With bullet magnetism, you just need to satisfy a minimum requirement out-put value through the game's accuracy formula.

Crosshair slow-down: This is similar to "Auto-Aim," but it is unique. Auto-Aim will trigger your crosshair to make corrections. Crosshair slow-down merely causes your crosshair to automatically slow down when you're moving over a target.

it's a ubiquitous console thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

In Overwatch it does more harm than good if you're ok at aiming because it'll do stuff like subtly try to pull your aim around if you're looking at a group of enemies so it's better to just turn it off

• Locked thread