Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Strome feels like a bust because he's already been in 2 years of preseason training camps but he's still only 20 years old and he's still putting up 2ppg this year in the ohl and is getting hosed by the bullshit junior rules, so the alternative is centering the 3rd line/sitting in the pressbox.

Coyotes fans bitched about domi taking the same path but it's not like domi putting up 50 points 3 years ago or strome putting up 50 points this year would put them in the playoffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Well it's more that they could have had Marner who looks all world and the fact that he looked absolutely awful during his cup of coffee this year. I don't think he's a bust but they can't afford another Mueller/Turris/Boedker. They need him to be great.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

It would be great if some of the guys would pan out, I agree. It's sort of hard to hold the draft record against the franchise when we draft guys like turris and wheeler who turn out worse than whatever implausible trade/reach you could come up with.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Wheeler and Turris turned out pretty good! Just not for the Coyotes.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
"I can't believe we wasted 1st round draft picks on a 70 point first line winger and a 50 point second line centre!"

grack fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 27, 2017

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Didn't Turris and Wheeler both refuse to play for the Yotes though?

EDIT: Now I look dumb since grack changed their post

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Turris played in Arizona but had mental health issues that they couldn't or wouldn't address. Even still, saying that either was a bad use of a draft pick is kind of stupid given the circumstances.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

grack posted:

Turris played in Arizona but had mental health issues that they couldn't or wouldn't address. Even still, saying that either was a bad use of a draft pick is kind of stupid given the circumstances.

Wasn't Turris seen as a bit off the board at the time of that pick? Or maybe I'm just conflating Wayne Gretzky way overhyping him with that.

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*

Ginette Reno posted:

Wasn't Turris seen as a bit off the board at the time of that pick? Or maybe I'm just conflating Wayne Gretzky way overhyping him with that.
No he was consensus top three, Central Scouting actually had him ranked as 1

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

T-Bone posted:

Well it's more that they could have had Marner who looks all world and the fact that he looked absolutely awful during his cup of coffee this year. I don't think he's a bust but they can't afford another Mueller/Turris/Boedker. They need him to be great.

Marner is looking very good at the moment as is seeming like the clear choice, but it wasn't so clear the day of the draft. They were essentially identical from a statistical perspective and Strome was the 6'2" 195lb centre where Marner is generously 5'10" 180lbs. Strome was the right selection given the information anyone had, although it was largely a toss up.

Ginette Reno posted:

Kyle Turris was actually the highest ranked NA skater for the 2007 draft ahead of Patrick Kane. I know that sounds ridiculous in retrospective given Kane's gaudy numbers and subsequent superstar NHL career, but he was not considered a top level prospect by any means. Its only been the last 7 or 8 years that numbers have been viewed as the primary judge of a player's ability, as outlandish as that may seem. Although, to be fair Turris did rip it up in the BCHL.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I think it's just that the Coyotes need a home run, which Strome looks like he isn't and Marner looks like he could be. Strome turns into a 50 point guy and that's not a bad result in a vacuum but they've had a pretty disastrous year even against their expectations and desperately need a home run.

grack posted:

Turris played in Arizona but had mental health issues that they couldn't or wouldn't address.
Not saying it's not true, but I've never heard that before now, even as a rumour.

Ginette Reno posted:

No, in fact for most of the year (right up until the Blackhawks said they were taking Kane) he was considered the frontrunner for 1st overall.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Why the hell was Turris playing in the BCHL anyways? Given his numbers looks like he should have been in major junior.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Chows posted:

There was nothing on the website, no signage at the entrance and I didn't hear anything about it during the game. Just a couple merch tables out on the west concourse with the historical stuff at the end. I sit on the east side so I never would've known about any of it if I hadn't heard the one announcement during Friday's game. Pretty disappointing really, he came all the way out here with some really cool stuff and the organization didn't even seem to put a minimum effort into promoting it.

I literally heard waaaaay more publicity in the two days AFTER the game/event than during or before.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

Why the hell was Turris playing in the BCHL anyways? Given his numbers looks like he should have been in major junior.

He wanted to go the college route. If you play in the CHL you are ineligible to play in the NCAA as you are technically paid to do so (although it's a nothing stipend - they don't even make minimum wage).

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Not saying it's not true, but I've never heard that before now, even as a rumour.

yeah same. maybe he's thinking of brule?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Wait Turris had mental health issues? Besides wanting to live in Ottawa?

and yeah I'm not saying those picks were necessarily bad at the time they made them, they just can't afford to keep striking out/losing assets and getting poo poo in return because they have next to nothing at the NHL level.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

hifi posted:

yeah same. maybe he's thinking of brule?

Mmm, perhaps I've mixed the two up. Regardless, Turris did play in Arizona for two seasons before being traded.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

I don't think marner would have the success he's having with the leafs if he was on the coyotes. We've got zero center depth and really bad 3rd and 4th line wingers. If leafs fans want something they can relate to, he'd probably be stuck playing with peter holland

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

grack posted:

Mmm, perhaps I've mixed the two up. Regardless, Turris did play in Arizona for two seasons before being traded.

Yeah, Gilbert Brule had noted issues with depression stemming from an abusive relationship with his father. Kyle Turris and the Coyotes fell apart after he held out in 2011.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

Kyle Turris was actually the highest ranked NA skater for the 2007 draft ahead of Patrick Kane. I know that sounds ridiculous in retrospective given Kane's gaudy numbers and subsequent superstar NHL career, but he was not considered a top level prospect by any means. Its only been the last 7 or 8 years that numbers have been viewed as the primary judge of a player's ability, as outlandish as that may seem. Although, to be fair Turris did rip it up in the BCHL.
2007 was seen as a terrible, terrible draft at the time, supposed to be the worst since 99 and sandwiched between the really highly thought of 2006 and 2008 classes. It turned out fine, though.

Even when it became clear that Kane was going #1 I think the expectations were still quite subdued, and it was a talking point that he was seen as having the lowest ceiling of the 3. Briere was supposed to be the best case scenario for him.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Also when you're talking about the Coyotes and you realize you'd still take their organizational depth over the Devils. Is there a team with a worse future than New Jersey? Maybe Vancouver if the Devils manage to stay in the top 3 this draft?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

T-Bone posted:

Also when you're talking about the Coyotes and you realize you'd still take their organizational depth over the Devils. Is there a team with a worse future than New Jersey? Maybe Vancouver if the Devils manage to stay in the top 3 this draft?

Canucks actually have decent prospects/young guys in the system right now.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Haha the Canucks are going to miss out on picking 29th because of that absurd 4-game start to the season

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

T-Bone posted:

Worse future is hard to gauge, since it's probably at least a little better to be barren talent wise than declining with big salary commitments. I don't know where that leaves NJ and Vancouver vs. everyone else, though. Detroit is another ugly situation.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The Devils cap situation is great, their problem is unless they hit a home run in this year's draft if Schneider returns to any kind of form they're going to have a hard time getting another high pick next year. McLeod and Zacha certainly don't look like world beaters either. Top 6 contributors, yeah, but man do the Devils need to hit this year. If they're able to take a great forward I could maybe see them rebuilding their defense a bit via FA, but ugh.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

Koopa Kid posted:

N: Kasperi Kapanen was called up

V: that's good

N: he's skating on the fourth line and Ben Smith got moved up

V: that's bad

N: Andersen started practice

V: that's good

N: he left early and the nets belong to Curtis McElhinney and Garrett Sparks

V: that's bad

Is Boyle hurt? I thought we traded for him so that we never had to watch Ben Smith play again...

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Arabian Jesus posted:

Is Boyle hurt? I thought we traded for him so that we never had to watch Ben Smith play again...

He's fine but Leivo and Sosh are injured and call-ups are limited so Smith is playing as a winger.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

T-Bone posted:

The Detroit Red Wings Hockey Club

Larkin is good, Mantha looks decent, AA could be decent, and Svechinkov might be something, but their cap situation is completely wrecked until like 2023 and otherwise their pipeline is completely barren, especially on defense. They'll also very likely not be bad enough to get a top-3 pick until Larkin is like 24 and already squarely in his prime instead of getting them now like they should be when he's 20 so that there's actually a team already around him when his RFA years are over.

This team is so royally hosed fire holland

e: As a Devils fan, you're currently living through what the Wings' next decade is going to be.

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 27, 2017

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

Koopa Kid posted:

He's fine but Leivo and Sosh are injured and call-ups are limited so Smith is playing as a winger.

I thought Kapanen was taking Smith's spot in the lineup? Smith was only in because Sosh and then Leivo were hurt. Unless someone else is hurt, I don't think Smith is playing.

Hyman Matthews Nylander
Marner Bozak JVR
Komarov Kadri Brown
Martin Boyle Kapanen

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Smith is going to play some time before the season's done. He's one game away from the exposure requirements and we all know that the Leafs are going to protect Matt Martin so they need another vet on top of Fehr that they can sign for a year and expose.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Aphrodite posted:

The Jack Adams is for bad coaches.

Jack Daniels

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

DuhSal posted:

I thought Kapanen was taking Smith's spot in the lineup? Smith was only in because Sosh and then Leivo were hurt. Unless someone else is hurt, I don't think Smith is playing.

Hyman Matthews Nylander
Marner Bozak JVR
Komarov Kadri Brown
Martin Boyle Kapanen

Oh Nylander wasn't doing rushes for whatever reason so Smith was on Matthews' wing iirc. It's a non-story, just funny.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Apparently while scoring the game winning goal against carolina, Anthanasiou hit the goalie eddie lack in the head with his shoulder, and he went down and hasn't moved since. they took him off on a stretcher. Hopefully it's nothing serious.

https://twitter.com/TomSanna93/status/846540231079858176

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Powershift posted:

Apparently while scoring the game winning goal against carolina, Anthanasiou hit the goalie eddie lack in the head with his shoulder, and he went down and hasn't moved since. they took him off on a stretcher. Hopefully it's nothing serious.

https://twitter.com/TomSanna93/status/846540231079858176

He gave a thumbs up on his way off, not that that guarantees anything.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

santanotreal posted:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

santanotreal posted:

It means his arms still work, which is a good.

Here's how it happened.

https://twitter.com/CMS_74_/status/846539709295841280

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Looks unintentional to me.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Athanasiou got pushed in to Lack by a Canes' player, it wasn't intentional.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah this might be a better angle

https://twitter.com/atominable/status/846539712978345986

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

"This guy is skating full speed at my net trying to score a goal, what can I do? I know, I'll shove him directly in to my goaltender!"

• Locked thread