Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Ranter posted:

If you want to save freezer space and money, you could reduce your stock instead of leaving it at 3 massive gallons. My housemate fills our freezer with un-reduced stock and its so annoying. He even leaves the lid on the stock pot so there's almost zero reduction.

Absolutely this: you want to reduce your stock to the point where it is about as thick as custard. Then chill in the fridge until it's solid, cut into cubes and freeze. You can reduce three chickens into about 20-30 1cm cubes and they're perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

bewbies posted:

Actually no, and I think that this is one area I disagree with the thread on.
why ask for tips to improve if you're going to ignore advice given?

Elizabethan Error fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 27, 2017

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Making a big batch of chili this weekend and am trying some new things with my recipe.

Ingredients

3-3.5 lbs Beef Chuck Roast, cut into medium cubes
1 large onion, finely diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 can Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce, well minced/blended
12 oz Beef Broth
12 oz Chicken Broth
6-8 oz Black Damnation II - Mocha Bomb
3 TBSP Tomato Paste
8 oz can Tomato Sauce
Salt and White Pepper
2 TSP Sol Food Hot Sauce (local Puerto Rican restaurant)
1 pack Rancho Gordo Scarlet Runner beans, soaked overnight and cooked until tender (Optional)
Tortilla Chips, ground into small pieces (Optional)

Spice Mix Ingredients

2 TBSP Gebhardt's brand Chili Powder
6 TBSP fresh Chili Powder made from dried New Mexico and Ancho Chili Peppers
1 TBSP Beef Granules
1 TBSP Chicken Granules
1 Packet Sazon Goya Seasoning
3 TBSP Cumin Seeds ground into a powder
2 TSP Onion Powder
.5 TSP Garlic Powder
1 TSP Mexican Oregano
1 TSP Paprika

SPICE MIX PREP: Mix all of the Spice Mix Ingredients and separate into three amounts of 50%, 25% and 25% in size.

BROWN THE MEAT: Lightly season the beef cubes with salt and white pepper. In a stock pot or dutch oven, brown the cubes in batches in light olive oil. Drain the fat in a colander and lightly rinse the browned meat. Set meat aside for now.

COOK VEGETABLES: In the same pot, cook the onions until caramelized, adding the garlic in towards the end of the cooking time. Deglaze the pot with the beer once done.

SHOVE IN (almost) EVERYTHING ELSE: Add the following to the pot: the tomato paste, tomato sauce, both stocks, and the 50% batch of spice mix. Stir until combined and add the meat back into the pot. Stir again until combined. The meat should be covered by the liquid at this point. If it's not, add more broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer uncovered.

SECOND SPICE MIX: After 2 hours of cooking, add the first of the 25% batches of spice mix and combine well. If the chili has reduced to the desired thickness, cover the pot for the remainder of cooking time. If adding tortilla chips, leave the chili slightly thinner since they will thicken it.

THIRD SPICE MIX: After another 2 hours cooking, remove the meat, shred it with a fork and return to the pot. Add the last 25% batch of spice mix, the hot sauce and the chipotle peppers in adobo sauce to the desired level of heat. Stir well.

FINAL TUNING: After another 30-45 minutes cooking, optionally add the tortilla chips, then check for salt and other seasonings, adjusting as needed. Cook another 15 minutes.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Elizabethan Error posted:

why ask for tips to improve if you're going to ignore advice given?

He was asking for advice about a very broad topic that could have a ton of different angles. Just because he disagrees with one very specific piece of advice doesn't mean that he is going to ignore all advice.

I prefer the typical fattier cuts, but if dude likes his lean cuts, that's personal preference.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Doom Rooster posted:

I prefer the typical fattier cuts, but if dude likes his lean cuts, that's personal preference.

It's a little more work sometimes, but I've taken braising cuts and trimmed the fat the end result less greasy. That's more with things that can get real greasy like boneless county style pork ribs.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Doom Rooster posted:

He was asking for advice about a very broad topic that could have a ton of different angles. Just because he disagrees with one very specific piece of advice doesn't mean that he is going to ignore all advice.

not that it matters since it's ~competition chili~ where homogenous crap wins medals, but slowcooking a roast cut is silly any way you slice it.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Ben Nevis posted:

It's a little more work sometimes, but I've taken braising cuts and trimmed the fat the end result less greasy. That's more with things that can get real greasy like boneless county style pork ribs.

When I can be bothered, I do this too. It's great.

Elizabethan Error posted:

not that it matters since it's ~competition chili~ where homogenous crap wins medals, but slowcooking a roast cut is silly any way you slice it.

He's not slicing it, that would be silly. He's cubing it, duh.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Doom Rooster posted:

He's not slicing it, that would be silly. He's cubing it, duh.
:spergin:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Jose posted:

just toss a bunch of beef bones inw ith your chilli imo
It's almost less effort to make stock than it is to throw bones into a pot of greasy mash and then pull them out and clean them off at the end. Make your own stock.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009
I haven't got a good photo, because I'm bad at photography but here's my lovely Australian attempt at a chilli.

Velvet Glove Chilli

My own personal chilli recipe - smooth and silky to look at, and a big ol' punch to the face to eat. I make this as an easy-defrost lazy dinner. Serve on roasted hasselback potatoes, with grated hard cheese (like a vintage cheddar or manchego) and a dollop of light sour cream if you're feeling wussy.

YIELD serves 12
ACTIVE TIME 1 hour
TOTAL TIME 10 hours

INGREDIENTS

For the Meat

1 kilogram of chuck steak, cubed (preferably from a yearling or older)
1 kilogram of pork shoulder, boned and cubed
500 grams of chorizo sausage, casing removed and thinly cubed
salt

For the Spice Mix

100 grams of dried Ancho chillis
100 grams of dried Guajillo chillis
100 grams of dried Cayenne chillis
100 grams of dried Chipotle chillis
2 tablespoon of sweet paprika
1 tablespoon of ground cumin
1 tablespoon of dried oregano
1 tablespoon of black pepper
1 tablespoon of sea salt
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 teaspoon of nutmeg
1 teaspoon of ground ginger

For the Bulk

1 bunch of celery, thinly mandolined and chopped roughly
2 yellow onions, thinly mandolined and chopped roughly
4 banana chillis, thinly mandolined and chopped roughly (include the seeds)
4 cloves of garlic, crushed
200 grams of dark chocolate
1 can of lager or pilsner
juice of 1 lime
yellow masa flour (for thickening after cooking is finished)

INSTRUCTIONS

For the Meat

Dice the meat, making sure to remove the gristle, bone and skin that might still be attached.

Lightly salt the meat and set aside to rest for ten minutes.

Warm a skillet to a medium heat, and oil with rice bran or a high-smoke point oil.

Brown the meat in the skillet to a light crust, making sure not to overcrowd the skillet or else the meat stew.

Set aside the browned meat in the crockpot or slow cooker.

For the Spice Mix

If you haven't bought pre-ground chillis, run the chillis through a spice grinder to a rough grind.

Combine all the spices.

Coat the meat with half the spice mix. Retain the other half to mix through the pot once all the bulk are in.

For the Bulk

Finely chop all the vegetables.

Add vegetables to the meat and spices in the pot. Stir to combine.

Add remaining spice mix, chocolate and lime juice.

Add enough beer to just cover the meat in a liquid paste.

Cook on low for 9 hours, stirring once an hour to make sure it doesn't burn. If it is starting to look dry, add a little more beer.

Once the meat seems tender (and not yet tough and dry), remove from heat, and stir in enough masa that the remaining liquid is enough of a paste to stick together.

Rest before serving.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Leaving aside the issue of baking spices in chili, that seems like a lot of nutmeg.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!
Looks great to me. Nutmeg in ragu is good, I will try it in my next chili. Pork shoulder is a pro move as well.

Based on the instruction to 'cube' the chorizo, sounds like you're using Spanish not Mexican.

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Ranter posted:

Looks great to me. Nutmeg in ragu is good, I will try it in my next chili. Pork shoulder is a pro move as well.

Based on the instruction to 'cube' the chorizo, sounds like you're using Spanish not Mexican.

I actually put more cinnamon and nutmeg in mine. It adds a sweet and unexpected note to it all.

Yeah. Mexican Chorizo isn't really readily available in Australia (at least I can't find any in Canberra), and the butcher I use makes a pretty deec Spanish Chorizo.

I've been thinking about maybe making a roo chilli with some native ingredients, so I might see if I can put something together to run past the hivemind before I make it.

Kafka Syrup fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 2, 2017

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
you can make mexican chorizo pretty easy since its not cured, just raw meat with seasoning and spices that has to be browned up before you eat it.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!

BraveUlysses posted:

you can make mexican chorizo pretty easy since its not cured, just raw meat with seasoning and spices that has to be browned up before you eat it.

Where are you sourcing your lymph nodes and salivary glands? I'd like to try making mexican chorizo

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
:captainpop:

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

weird, I've only ever seen pork mexican chorizo like: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/01/easy-fresh-mexican-chorizo.html

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

it's not that i didn't believe you, but i prefer to remain firmly rooted in cognitive dissonance on this one.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!

The 3 random brands I saw at Mi Pueblo (a California Mexican supermarket chain) were beef. I think you can get both.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 3, 2017

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Dipping crispy sweetbreads in chili is delicious as are chili and sweetbread tacos.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Ranter posted:

The 3 random brands I saw at Mi Pueblo (a California Mexican supermarket chain) were beef. I think you can get both.
Yeah those tight plastic sleeves of lips and assholes are like a dollar each on the west coast US, beef or pork, pretty much any grocery and even half of the quickie marts carry it. My family and I have always preferred pork, and we used to make it when I was a kid.

Not sure what that seriouseats.com link to "chorizo" is supposed to be, other than some fancy tacos. You can put chorizo in a taco or even a *gasp* burrito, not to mention omelettes, etc.. The best taco shack in my town has a list of like 20+ meat choices for your taco or burrito, and I don't know what 1/3 of them are.

The main thing with mexican chorizo is that you usually want to brown it and drain off the fat, because there's a ton of grease. A couple of ounces of chorizo will turn everything in the skillet bright orange (and make it taste divine).

When I do a pot of pinto beans I like to throw in half a chaw of chorizo and just let it completely dissolve though - saves needing to do pretty much anything else to season ;)

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Mar 4, 2017

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

coyo7e posted:

Yeah those tight plastic sleeves of lips and assholes are like a dollar each on the west coast US, beef or pork, pretty much any grocery and even half of the quickie marts carry it. My family and I have always preferred pork, and we used to make it when I was a kid.
The stuff in those tubes is just...I don't know but it's not very good. The stuff from the local Mexican bakery is a hundred times better.

coyo7e posted:

When I do a pot of pinto beans I like to throw in half a chaw of chorizo and just let it completely dissolve though - saves needing to do pretty much anything else to season ;)
Chorizo-infused refried beans are so good. Even La Prefreida sells that variety.

(yes, I realize I just poo poo on mass-produced chorizo and then praised refried beans in a can)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I have been making chili a lot the last couple months, and ended up with something I like.

2-2.5 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken thighs. season with salt, pepper, chili powder, garlic, paprika, bake on a cookie sheet at 350 for 45 minutes and then hit them with the broiler for 5 minutes or longer, give them some color and crisp them up. Flip and do the same to the other side for a few minutes. remove from the sheet and set aside.

Dice 1-1/2 yellow onions, and 8 jalapeno peppers (remove the ribs/seeds), crush 6 cloves of garlic. Drizzle a little olive oil over the mixture. Roast this in the oven until soften, then hit with the broiler to blacken the surface a bit.

In a dutch oven or big pot, add the vegetables over medium heat. Turn the heat down to low and cover for about 15 minutes. Add 1 14.5oz can of crushed tomatoes, allow that to cook down a little bit.

Add 2 crushed tostada shells (2 corn tortillas, fried hard)j or the equivalent in tortilla chips

Next add the following seasoning:
1 tbsp chili powder
1/2 tbsp cumin
1 tsp garlic powder,
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp cocoa
1 tbsp brown sugar
cayenne pepper to taste
chipolte powder to taste
1 tsp soy sauce or worchestshire

stir this all and let it cook for another 5 minutes

Next add 1 can (drained) each of kidney, black and pinto beans (14.5 oz)

Then add enough beef broth to cover the beans, let this simmer, covered, for 30 minutes or so

Cube the chicken thighs and add to the chili. Let them cook for another 10-15 minutes. You may need to add more broth.

At this point you want to salt to taste and you're ready to eat.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!

Bob Morales posted:

The stuff in those tubes is just...I don't know but it's not very good. The stuff from the local Mexican bakery is a hundred times better.

Can you go into more detail on this? Can you provide a specific brand? An actual Mexican supermarket chain in California sells the stuff you say is poo poo, but also carries like 10 brands, so knowing some brands you think are good would be really useful.

Why is a bakery selling meat products?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Mexican bakeries pretty much always also sell tacos, breakfast and lunch plates too, not just sweet pastries. One of the best Mexican restaurants in Austin is a "bakery", but their pastries are not very good, and their standard Mexican fare is amazing.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!
So they're a taqueria that sell groceries, so I can shop there for chorizo?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I think that is going to vary, probably. I can't speak for where Bob is talking about, but there's definitely not any advertised "buy raw ingredients" signage at any of the Mexican bakeries that I frequent. That being said, if I asked a manager/the owner of any of them "Will you sell me some of your chorizo" I am doubting any of them would turn me down.

Edit: That being said, you can either offer to buy stuff like above, or just buy a couple of different brands of tube chorizo from the store and test them out with some eggs. Some are lovely, some are pretty good. You can always spice up grocery store tube chorizo with more chili powder, good paprika, cayenne, salt, garlic powder, whatever man. I'd take mediocre tube chorizo that I spiced up over no chorizo.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 27, 2017

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Ranter posted:

Can you go into more detail on this? Can you provide a specific brand? An actual Mexican supermarket chain in California sells the stuff you say is poo poo, but also carries like 10 brands, so knowing some brands you think are good would be really useful.

I'm thinking the stuff I see at Kroger or Walmart. Cacique, Supremo, El Popular, the meat is too fine, it's not seasoned well, it's just one of those things you have to find local. Even the stuff at the meat counter at Meijer or something is much better than the pre-packaged stuff. But the local Mexican stores are my first choice.

I've been to the Bay Area and had beef chorizo which was a first but I didn't do any shopping/cooking when I was there. I'm in Michigan and all the Latinos here are/were migrant workers from Texas/Mexico, so our food is classic Tex-Mex.

quote:

Why is a bakery selling meat products?

They just sell whatever. Spices, snacks, pinatas, tamales, all kinds of random crap. A lot of them sell cooked meat or menudo on the weekends, or things like chicharones.

This one is right by my house and they mix up their own chorizo:

http://www.vargastortillas.com/

Here's another one that I like that's also in my area:

https://www.facebook.com/La-Estrella-Del-Norte-Bakery-232811917161400/?rf=120247954654359

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
They're all in one ethnic shops, don't think of them as just bakeries or just taquerias. There are tons of places like them everywhere and for every culture/nationality.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!
So it's just a market. Got it. We got those here of course but I've never seen one that sells their own house-made chorizo. I might not have been looking close enough though.

The chicharones on the other hand, my GOD. So good. Full cuts of belly pork deep fried, instead of just skins. Cheap as chips. Bit 'o lime juice, some onions, some hot sauce, oh baby.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
What's this place in Austin you're talking about, Doom Rooster?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

kaujot posted:

What's this place in Austin you're talking about, Doom Rooster?

There are tons of Michoacana markets all over Austin and a bunch more that advertise as bakeries like this one http://www.la-mexicana-bakery.com/ that don't have a meat market but they have a kitchen with all the usuals.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Joe's Mexican Bakery down off 7th.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I want to try making chili with dried peppers made into a paste or ground into a powder This is my current spice mix:

4 tbsp hot chilli powder
1 tbsp garlic salt
2 tsp freshly toasted and ground cumin
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

I have anaheim, cascabel, ancho and chipotle. What combination should I use in what quanitity and how do I incorporate them into the spice mix?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i rehydrate chillies in stock and blend that into a paste/liquid. I prefer it to powder

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
And if you're going to use paste you might as well use fresh or roasted garlic in it instead of powder.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

How many peppers should I rehydrate to replace the chilli powder? Is 1tsp paste equal to 1tsp powder?

EDIT: So in the end I started by toasting one of each. I went for powder over paste so I could adjust levels of smoke/heat/flavour as I went more easily. It made roughly 2-3 tbsp of quite potent powder. I cooked it this afternoon and am leaving it overnight so I'll post tomorrow with the result.

reality_groove fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Apr 2, 2017

Waterslide Industry Lobbyist
Jun 18, 2003

ANYONE WANT SOME BARBECUE?

Lipstick Apathy
Last month I competed in a local charity chili cookoff, and thanks to this thread took 2nd place in the Judge's Choice category. I had never cooked chili outside of reheating a can of Hormel when I signed up to cook, and probably made 2 chilis a week for the 6 weeks leading up to the competition.

My recipe was super basic, just cubed chuck, various NM chili powders, onions, garlic, roasted poblanos, chipotles in adobo, and MSG. The winner and 3rd place were both restaurant owners and I feel really good about how I did. My biggest problem was that I didn't make a full batch (12 quarts) until the cookoff day, and I had to use more than double the amount of seasoning I was used to from my test cooks. I was freaking out for several hours during my cook trying to get my chili to taste like anything, and in the end I think there was close to 3 cups of chili P in there, in addition to a fuckload more garlic, peppers, and salt than I was used to.

edit: My plan for next year is to toast and grind the chili powder myself. The guy who won had a really close recipe to mine and toasted his own and it was :discourse:

Waterslide Industry Lobbyist fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Waterslide Industry Lobbyist posted:

Last month I competed in a local charity chili cookoff, and thanks to this thread took 2nd place in the Judge's Choice category. I had never cooked chili outside of reheating a can of Hormel when I signed up to cook, and probably made 2 chilis a week for the 6 weeks leading up to the competition.

My recipe was super basic, just cubed chuck, various NM chili powders, onions, garlic, roasted poblanos, chipotles in adobo, and MSG. The winner and 3rd place were both restaurant owners and I feel really good about how I did. My biggest problem was that I didn't make a full batch (12 quarts) until the cookoff day, and I had to use more than double the amount of seasoning I was used to from my test cooks. I was freaking out for several hours during my cook trying to get my chili to taste like anything, and in the end I think there was close to 3 cups of chili P in there, in addition to a fuckload more garlic, peppers, and salt than I was used to.

edit: My plan for next year is to toast and grind the chili powder myself. The guy who won had a really close recipe to mine and toasted his own and it was :discourse:

I don't see beer.