Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

thats also halo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

halo is an rpg

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cowcaster posted:

halo is an rpg

Halo Reach is, at least. You level up and acquire new armor parts

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Halo Retch

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Guy Goodbody posted:

Who routinely mocks Halo's bullet bending?

Stux does, in the mirror

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

fridge corn posted:

Ogre battle was really amazing but I found it really hard and never got very far in it 😥

I loved Tactics Ogre but I could never really get into Ogre Battle or understand what was enjoyable about it.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Huh, neat.

https://twitter.com/liamwong/status/846426770333036544

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Some of those logos are :psyduck:

e:

bloodychill posted:

You're opening a can of worms with one of the few existing pad gamers who doesn't use auto aim and could easily compete at high tiers of play against kb+m players. Just a heads up.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 27, 2017

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It absolutely is.

Still pretty early (just beat the second real boss) and I'm enjoying the game more than any part of Bloodbourne, Dark Souls 2, or the last half of Dark Souls.

It's a game that hits a great balance between execution, reaction, and action.

Nioh is much better than any Souls game yeah

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Console shooters are better when they're more about positioning and timing than aim (Vanquish, DOOM 2016)

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Or you can do the cool poo poo Splatoon does!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Some of those logos are :psyduck:

e:

i dont use auto aim i have no need for it

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

an actual dog posted:

Console shooters are better when they're more about positioning and timing than aim (Vanquish, DOOM 2016)

an actual dog posted:

Or you can do the cool poo poo Splatoon does!

both of these are wrong

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Splatoon is good, Stux

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

one might say "fresh"

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
i played the first one, its not good to me sorry, but also i grew up on cs and quake so maybe im not the target market

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Splatoon's aiming is almost good, but then actually isn't duh because anything having to do with motion/gyros is bad

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Motion controls are my favorite control scheme for FPSes. No irony

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
i dont like gyro aiming at all on splatoon nor did i like it on the million vita games with it

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Motion controls are cool since it made aiming in zelda games not piss. Shame they also ruined the swordplay twice in a row

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I bet the crazies who invert their aim enjoy gyros

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

in 10 years all online FPS will be VR with wii zappers

hope you did your crossbow training bitch

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

You're not wrong

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Aiming stuff is the one consistently well-implemented use for motion controls and idg the beef people have with it. After playing botw I was twisting my ds4 like a moron and wondering why reticles weren't moving lol

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

grieving for Gandalf posted:

Inverted gyro aim. Let's break our brains.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

i just said i dont

Motto posted:

Aiming stuff is the one consistently well-implemented use for motion controls and idg the beef people have with it. After playing botw I was twisting my ds4 like a moron and wondering why reticles weren't moving lol

its cos it sucks imo, i can put a crosshair on a target with a stick, the gyro isnt giving me anything

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
That gun looks dumb as gently caress.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

bloodychill posted:

Inverted gyro aim. Let's break our brains.

when ive used it gyro does have to be inverted as well yeah

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

gyro aiming. thank you iwata... (non-ironic)

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

it makes no sense for you to invert aim on gyros!! your motion is doing what the aim being inverted is supposed to do as far as perspective in the first place!!!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Perhaps it is YOU who is inverted

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

I need my chao fix :goatdrugs:

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

it makes no sense for you to invert aim on gyros!! your motion is doing what the aim being inverted is supposed to do as far as perspective in the first place!!!

You're supposed to hold em upside down

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

then i guess i dont invert it and everyone else finally plays inverted like a normal person on gyro idk

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I changed my castle to inverted and now there's pumpkin head ghosts in my library.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Phantasium posted:

I changed my castle to inverted and now there's pumpkin head ghosts in my library.

Farm that poo poo for a Crissaegrim (2 is overkill)

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Or just use the Shield Rod

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i am glad of it, that the only gyros i've ever aimed have been made by turkish expats in akihabara, at my mouth

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Farm that poo poo for a Crissaegrim (2 is overkill)

i farmed two crissaegrims. i was also disappointed that you can't get that one ring until ng+ :(

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

The only good use for the shield rod is Galamoth and you're a big baby if you use it for anything else :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Are you saying it's high time someone made Japan great again?

Japanese game development naturally has feasts and famines as publishers ramp up development and adjust to changes in platforms, consumer tastes, and market trends. In comparison, most Western publishers immediately jumped on XB1/PS4 development and enjoyed the benefits of hitting the early platforms with cross-generation titles, including children's title like Skylanders. If we think of 2012 as the start of the current generation, then we're about four years into this generation. Last generation, late 2009/early 2010 saw non-first party Japanese publishers release Bayonetta, Yakuza 3 (US/Europe release), Final Fantasy XIII, Nier, Resonance of Fate/End of Eternity, Tekken 6 (console release), and Pro Evolution Soccer 2010.

I'd say the productivity and quality of Japanese publishers of this time frame is about the same or slightly worse than that of last generation. It looks strong compared to the past few years but many publishers have culled their line up of games or effectively left console game development altogether. None of them are likely to recapture the glory they enjoyed in pre-2005 when they were competitive with EA and Activision instead of just Deep Silver. Too bad.

bloodychill posted:

I'm saying Japan has the best games, the very best games.

But no, there was a dev lull for a while as they took some time to get HD poo poo down and now a lot of anticipated games came out and are really good.

Per capita, the best country for console game development is Sweden. It is the home of Starbreeze (Chronicles of Riddick/Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons), Overkill (Payday), Machine Games (Wolfenstein The New Order), EA DICE (Battlefield, Mirror's Edge, Star Wars Battlefront, Frostbite Engine), Ghost Games/EA Gothenburg (Need for Speed) Avalanche (Just Cause, Mad Max), Massive (World in Conflict, The Division), and Mojang (Minecraft).

On PC, you have Paradox as a very successful boutique strategy and RPG publisher. In the indie scene, you have Dennaton (Hotline Miami), Arrowhead (Magicka, Helldivers), and Frictional (Penumbra, Amnesia, SOMA). For mobile gaming , you have King (Candy Crush, Bubble Witch) which was recently acquired by Acti-Blizzard for $5.9 billion. There is also a very healthy Esports community for various games. There is a strong demo scene that has produced talented programmers. Vocational tracks for game development are common. There are several game development schools, such as the Game Assembly.

The population of Sweden is about 9.5 million. The population of Japan is about 127 million. In general, the Scandinavia has a disproportionate amount of game development talent given their population. Denmark has IO Iteractive and Norway has Funcom. If we're going Nordic, then we also have Remedy, Colossal Order, Frozenbyte, Housemarque, and Supercell from Finland and CCP from Iceland.

The collective population of the Nordic countries is about 26 million. They're very productive and influential given their size. Canada is another country with a low population where government subsidies help attract talent and promote entrepreneurship. Poland has also seen government support for developers like CDProjekt Red and Techland.

Oh, and the Swedes made Goat Simulator.

• Locked thread