Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
It's telling that when Macris wanted to include a picture of a character sheet, he didn't bother to find one from the edition of the game he was writing about.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/art...als-Interview.7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Mearls pretty much admits that the Essentials line was a "rollback" of the design ethos of 4th Edition in response to grognard criticisms of the game, and that he tried to make it more like 3rd Edition in order to satisfy them.

Now i'm reminded of how poo poo essentials was, how it and Mearls killed off 4e and the bullshit playtest for 5e which was grognard-centric. Friends are having fun with 5e, but a lot of 'fighter cleans up after the spellcasters win the encounter' comments (though apparently the bard is some kind of overwhelming encounter-breaker) and no one's quite breaking the game a la the undead army TG discussed at length back when it came out.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I liked the Hexblade. Too bad the character builder really couldn't handle it.

Terrible Opinions posted:

Funny thing Eoris was 10 bucks on Amazon for a while, until they finally ran out of stock.
Man, I think I paid about 8 bux for Everlasting, so I probably would've paid 10 for Eoris.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Terrible Opinions posted:

Funny thing Eoris was 10 bucks on Amazon for a while, until they finally ran out of stock.

I bought a copy when that happened, but I don't think I ever even broke the shrink wrap on it.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Bought the progressive RPG, should be an interesting read.

Flipped through the Moran RPG WTF. Interesting, didn't seem too incomprehensible, but as interesting as the concept of consensus reality is, it always reminds me of 1984. It's just something that always detracts from an otherwise neat concept.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Did anyone make a Jurassic Park Fiasco playset? Can't find it on fiasco-playsets.com.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

gradenko_2000 posted:

Alexander damned the powers mechanics and marking system in 4E because they were not simulating anything that happened in the game world. For example, why could a Rogue only pull off his fancy Daily power once per day? The only answer was because those were the rules of the game, not because that was how combat ought or should work in the fantasy setting.

The really crucial thing here is that this is an outright lie on Alexander's part. The "only answer" was that martial exploits represented moves so physically and mentally taxing that you needed a long rest before you could attempt them again, same as every other non-magical per-day ability that's been in D&D. You could have raised the same bullshit objection to stunning fist or barbarian rage back in the day.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
the real answer is simulationism is poop from a butt and designing a game as a game is a good thing in itself

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Actually, mechanics meant to model the actual fantasy world you're playing in are good.

Serf
May 5, 2011

It's weird because when I started GMing for 4E, it was with a group of totally new people, and they never once asked why certain powers were Daily or Encounter or whatever in a fictional context. No explanation required. Maybe this proves the "videogame" argument about 4E, but it just never came up for me.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Ferrinus posted:

Actually, mechanics meant to model the actual fantasy world you're playing in are good.

if you must do this you should probably do it in a game that isn't completely wedded to a wargame framework

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Serf posted:

It's weird because when I started GMing for 4E, it was with a group of totally new people, and they never once asked why certain powers were Daily or Encounter or whatever in a fictional context. No explanation required. Maybe this proves the "videogame" argument about 4E, but it just never came up for me.

D&D has always been a video game on paper.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

i'm not against flavor and mechanics being in sympathy, but i'm for it only insofar as good flavor is a tool for making mechanics clearer and easier to use; people understand what a fireball or a massive overhead sword swing do, which is easier to remember and use tactically than a mere abstract application "everything on these squares changes this number by this much"

so yes, it's good to say "daily powers are too taxing to use more often" but don't put the cart before the horse

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I'm not getting into that argument again, and neither should anyone else, shame on you Ferrinus.

Although I will say if people are having trouble reconciling rules and their setting, that's their fault for using a setting and rule set that don't fit together. You're not going to play Fantasy loving Vietnam in 4e, it's not a fit without altering much of it. Just like you're not going to play slapstick goofiness in 5e without tossing a good chunk of rules away.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ferrinus posted:

The really crucial thing here is that this is an outright lie on Alexander's part. The "only answer" was that martial exploits represented moves so physically and mentally taxing that you needed a long rest before you could attempt them again, same as every other non-magical per-day ability that's been in D&D. You could have raised the same bullshit objection to stunning fist or barbarian rage back in the day.

Right? Every time the whole "encounter/daily" thing crops up, I try to point out to people that 3e was using "encounter" as a defined technical term and was using it to limit usage of abilities since right there in the first PHB.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

if you must do this you should probably do it in a game that isn't completely wedded to a wargame framework

But 4E works fine.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Ferrinus posted:

But 4E works fine.

I agree, and there's no contradiction in that statement with what I've said.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

My Lovely Horse posted:

oh yes, the other thing that made the Escapist stand out, I remember.

I love how quickly they started venting talent after that, as most of the people who were doing articles/videos for them had other side projects, or were able to spin off into their own thing relatively easily. So when it came down to "Hey can you keep doing the same things you're doing now but we pay you less for it?" their responses were "No we'll just do something else, also your community is ludicrously toxic." Now it's basically just Yahtzee and I'm sure they pay him whatever they need to so he doesn't leave.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I've said it before and I'll say it again: 4e doesn't know what a falchion is.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: 4e doesn't know what a falchion is.

It's like a shamsir but different

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Kurieg posted:

I love how quickly they started venting talent after that, as most of the people who were doing articles/videos for them had other side projects, or were able to spin off into their own thing relatively easily. So when it came down to "Hey can you keep doing the same things you're doing now but we pay you less for it?" their responses were "No we'll just do something else, also your community is ludicrously toxic." Now it's basically just Yahtzee and I'm sure they pay him whatever they need to so he doesn't leave.

And Yahtzee has been phoning it in for years since he knows his name on that site is worth a good salary.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I don't know that he's phoning it in, exactly, but he hasn't changed his style ever. And he just flat-out admits he doesn't like whole genres of games.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's like a shamsir but different
But it's impossible to hold either of them with two hands! Not without cutting yourself, anyway.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 27, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't know that he's phoning it in, exactly, but he hasn't changed his style ever. And he just flat-out admits he doesn't like whole genres of games.

The thing is that that's completely fair thing to admit, especially as a reviewer. Normally, you get around that by handing a staff to review poo poo and not just one guy.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Serf posted:

The only thing my newbie players really had a problem with was with the minor action ready at the start of combat, which I told them was dumb but I was running with it as part of the wargame aspect. This led to everyone making fun of it for a while, culminating in somone declaring that to really be ready for a fight they needed breakfast first. So they called in a caterer to bring in a full breakfast brunch and everyone, including the zombies they were fighting, sat down to eat. At the end of a multi-hour multi-course feast, the dishes were cleared, everyone returned to their places, and the player says "And with that minor action, I'm Ready."

Everyone got a free Ready action off that, because holy poo poo why not.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Covok posted:

The thing is that that's completely fair thing to admit, especially as a reviewer. Normally, you get around that by handing a staff to review poo poo and not just one guy.
That's nice, I guess, but then you have to ask why you're listening to somebody wonder aloud why anyone would want to play a game about...fighting.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

That's nice, I guess, but then you have to ask why you're listening to somebody wonder aloud why anyone would want to play a game about...fighting.

I haven't watched him in years so I don't have to ask such questions.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

bbcisdabomb posted:

The only thing my newbie players really had a problem with was with the minor action ready at the start of combat, which I told them was dumb but I was running with it as part of the wargame aspect. This led to everyone making fun of it for a while, culminating in somone declaring that to really be ready for a fight they needed breakfast first. So they called in a caterer to bring in a full breakfast brunch and everyone, including the zombies they were fighting, sat down to eat. At the end of a multi-hour multi-course feast, the dishes were cleared, everyone returned to their places, and the player says "And with that minor action, I'm Ready."

Everyone got a free Ready action off that, because holy poo poo why not.

I don't remember any minor action to ready at the start of combat, am I forgetting something? IIRC it's an automatic part of rolling initiative that you draw your weapon or whatever.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Covok posted:

I haven't watched him in years so I don't have to ask such questions.

it's very clear that he reviews certain genres of game because he hates them and he knows it'll get him views.

He's also started another video series where he dryly "reviews" the box art of video games and movie posters trying as hard as he can to be intentionally dense and miss the point of everything.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT2AS-yMmEw
Over Pachabel's Canon, so he sounds smart.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Covok posted:

The Escapist just exists to create clickbait for ad revenue, so throwing him games that'll spur reactions works just fine for them.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

The same reason anyone listens to any youtube reviewer on the internet, which is the decay of human civilization and intelligence in this Era.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

S.J. posted:

D&D has always been a video game on paper.

Early editions of D&D were basically just like early videogames. You had lives (Bigby, Digby, Rigby) and frequently died to lava or spikes or whatever in a completely arbitrary fashion because the designer had no idea what they were doing in those frontier times.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Fuego Fish posted:

Early editions of D&D were basically just like early videogames. You had lives (Bigby, Digby, Rigby) and frequently died to lava or spikes or whatever in a completely arbitrary fashion because the designer had no idea what they were doing in those frontier times.

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Ferrinus posted:

I don't remember any minor action to ready at the start of combat, am I forgetting something? IIRC it's an automatic part of rolling initiative that you draw your weapon or whatever.

The Rules Compendium says it is a minor action to draw or sheathe a weapon, I guess the people I've played with just made it so you always had to spend the action. The GM who taught me 4e is pretty groggy in terms of realism, that's probably it. I just told my players it was part of the action economy so please don't try to cheese it, and that was accepted.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Ferrinus posted:

Going by the accounts of early D&D's development process, simulation wasn't really a concern for Gygax & co., and there was the thing where he called realism "the last refuse of the scoundrel." If "dissociated mechanics" are a thing, then D&D had a bunch of them from the very beginning. The whole thing would've made more sense if they went on to advocate for playing GURPS or any of the other RPGs that completely destroy D&D in terms of being more realistic and having more "associated" mechanics.

4E did have some actual problems that needed fixing, but Essentials totally ignored them in favor of failed attempts to placate the kind of people who held 4E book burnings. But then personally, after playing it for a decade or so, I pretty much feel like I've done enough D&D, regardless of the edition.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Fuego Fish posted:

Early editions of D&D were basically just like early videogames.
That's technically true, but there were already computer games based on D&D before video gaming as we know it even existed. People played dnd on network computers. So it's not like Gygax & Co. were imitating Zork or platformers or whatnot.

Cobaltshift
Jul 15, 2013

Has anyone on here had much experience with Mouse Guard? I want to introduce my girlfriend to an RPG but I don't think she has much interest in D&D, but when we were in the store we saw Mouse Guard and she thought it looked interesting. Any thoughts on it?

Thanks!

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Cobaltshift posted:

Has anyone on here had much experience with Mouse Guard? I want to introduce my girlfriend to an RPG but I don't think she has much interest in D&D, but when we were in the store we saw Mouse Guard and she thought it looked interesting. Any thoughts on it?

Thanks!

Mouse Guard owns. In fact, it owns so much that I spent an enormous amount of time completing a Fatal & Friends writeup for it waaaaay back in the day, which you can find here. It's a wonderful intro RPG for anyone who is down with being a sword-wielding mouse ranger / FEMA agent in a world where natural disasters include "Godzilla a snapping turtle is eating the city" and weasels are an existential threat.

If you have any specific questions, also, feel free to lay 'em on me.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Halloween Jack posted:

That's technically true, but there were already computer games based on D&D before video gaming as we know it even existed. People played dnd on network computers. So it's not like Gygax & Co. were imitating Zork or platformers or whatnot.

I just wanted to equate D&D to all those early platformers that were an exercise in futility for 90% of players.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

bbcisdabomb posted:

The Rules Compendium says it is a minor action to draw or sheathe a weapon, I guess the people I've played with just made it so you always had to spend the action. The GM who taught me 4e is pretty groggy in terms of realism, that's probably it. I just told my players it was part of the action economy so please don't try to cheese it, and that was accepted.

Then those guys were loving up, because while you need to use a minor action to wield something new down the line you don't need to use one in the first turn of combat just to be armed at all. Imposing a minor action tax in the first turn of combat barely affects some characters but really fucks with e.g. rangers and warlocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ferrinus posted:

Then those guys were loving up, because while you need to use a minor action to wield something new down the line you don't need to use one in the first turn of combat just to be armed at all. Imposing a minor action tax in the first turn of combat barely affects some characters but really fucks with e.g. rangers and warlocks.
You only get one action in the surprise round, so needing a minor to draw would lead to a lot of "Surprise! I'm holding my dagger!"

• Locked thread