Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Jessica Henwick (Colleen) says in this interview that she got the role half a month before they started filming the show.

What on earth was everyone doing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Episode 12: All I have to say is #DevosIsRight

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

ufarn posted:

Jessica Henwick (Colleen) says in this interview that she got the role half a month before they started filming the show.

Gathering enough M&Ms for Joy's crippling addiction.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Apparently waiting for the pitch that was good enough for Perlmutter. From what I gather on the beef between him and Feige, he could easily have waited to say "gently caress you for bringing magic in" - and then it was maybe month or two at best to get everything done.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I guess they forgot to put air holes wherever they kept the writers in the interim.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I expect a " unidentified source " to dish on what was actually going on. Also if Loeb had any input at all it was probably all bad. Having 9 Eexe. Producers indicate a lot of conflicting opinions.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

GuyUpNorth posted:

Apparently waiting for the pitch that was good enough for Perlmutter. From what I gather on the beef between him and Feige, he could easily have waited to say "gently caress you for bringing magic in" - and then it was maybe month or two at best to get everything done.

The BSS tv thread said that Perlmutter had been shoved aside by Loeb.

Marvel has no one but themselves to blame for this.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

GuyUpNorth posted:

IP: Okay, get me a TV show based on the otherworldly, mystical, dragon heart punching martial artist, with a lead with no martial arts experience, dressed first like a hobo and then later a bad guy from the video game Bully, for thirty-five dollars, in two weeks

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I finished Iron Fist. While the last 2-4 episodes are an improvement and almost make the series good, it doesn't negate that the other 2/3rds of the series is full of dull poo poo. The show is mundane and average at best and, at times, outright bad. Everyone who wasn't a Meachum really wasn't fleshed out and didn't have much of a character arc and the Meachums are the only ones who ever have good acting shine through. Finn as Rand is particularly bad at overacting/yelling. But again, how much of that is Buck and how much of that is Finn is up for debate.

#DavosWasRight and I hate to see him become a villain, but then again, Iron Fist has like one villain of any note so it is inevitable. Still I think if Davos made his case to the K'un Lun operators or whatever, they'd probably side with him. Also it was nice to have someone call Danny on his poo poo. That's something the other Netflix shows had throughout the season, but IF only gets that for the last 3 episodes.

It really bothered me that a lot of the first 2-3 episodes Danny talks a lot about meditation, focusing your chi. The fight with the Hand and his sensei yelling at him implies that he worked through the death of his parents but he clearly hadn't. This would actually be a good character arc if we weren't constantly being told Danny is perfect and was worked through his issues when clearly he hasn't.

This probably wouldn't be a show I would've ever watched if it wasn't a comic book property and I can't imagine ever re-watching it.

notthegoatseguy fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 27, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I watched episode 8

Claire and Colleen making fun of Danny's retarded "go to China -> ??? -> fix everything" plan was great. Except for the part where they actually went to China. They made it very clear why Danny was being stupid and going to China made no sense, but then they did it anyway?

Black board member is still the hero of this show. I hope Joy gets to live her dream of buying and selling horse cum. I actually liked that detail a lot. Horse breeding is such a total rich girl dream, it felt believable.

Why the gently caress did they use such a wobbly gate for their cool parkour entrance into the heroin factory? Secure the gate so it doesn't wobble and they could've parkoured over it way better. Danny's stunt double was fine because they did it in two shots, but Colleen's stunt double was noticeably slowed by the wobble. Like, it such a small thing, but why not just make the gate not wobble? What the gently caress was wrong with the production of this show that they were stuck with a wobbly gate?

The Drunken Master was as great as you guys said. Can he join the Defenders instead of Danny?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I was really underwhelmed by the Drunken Master. I don't know if the guy was a real martial artist or something, but I thought his acting (especially his drunk acting) was really contrived.

That COULD have been an amazing scene but it just felt kinda bland. To be honest I can't think of a single particularly memorable or compelling fight in the entire series. Certainly nothing to compare to Daredevil's hallway fight, or Punisher's destruction of a cellblock worth of inmates, or Jessica and Luke going toe to toe. I figured once they got to the "tournament" with the Hand that would be the big "fight" I'd remember through the show, but that was pretty pathetic too.

Actually scratch that, Colleen's cage-fighting antics were pretty fun. Colleen would have been a way more interesting lead than Danny too, sadly. An enthusiastic member of The Hand who has been completely lied to about who and what they are, who discovers that everything she believes in and has based her own (noble) philosophies on were a complete lie.

Edit: Added spoiler tags sorry.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Mar 27, 2017

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Everything I am reading really does make it sound like unfortunately the show was doomed to fail really.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I finally figured out what I want. (Not having any experience with the character) I want the Iron Fist to be extremely confusing to everyone by doing Kung-Fu poo poo that's one step away from actual magic. Like bicycle kicks and poo poo. I want an entire series full of stuff like when he tapped that taxi and cartwheeled through the air to avoid being hit by it.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

RareAcumen posted:

I finally figured out what I want. (Not having any experience with the character) I want the Iron Fist to be extremely confusing to everyone by doing Kung-Fu poo poo that's one step away from actual magic. Like bicycle kicks and poo poo. I want an entire series full of stuff like when he tapped that taxi and cartwheeled through the air to avoid being hit by it.

That's what I thought we were gonna get! And then he'd be humanized and vulnerable by the fact that he has no idea how to function in modern NYC and needs his friends to actually do anything besides punch mans. Where is he gonna get off trying to show up Colleen Wing in her own dojo when he's getting beat up worse than her most of the time.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

ufarn posted:

She has some other videos from her training, so it looks as though she was doing a fair amount. She was a more convincing fighter than Mr. Fist was -- I can only assume she had some fight training from Game of Thrones? Or had some before that, and earning her that role?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Guy Goodbody posted:

I watched episode 8

Claire and Colleen making fun of Danny's retarded "go to China -> ??? -> fix everything" plan was great. Except for the part where they actually went to China. They made it very clear why Danny was being stupid and going to China made no sense, but then they did it anyway?

Don't forget the plot beggar!

Hmmm, where should I beg for food? Should I go into the city? Maybe at a train station? No, I'll sit by some decrepit warehouse at the arse end of nowhere which also happens to be run by murderous ninjas. That makes perfect sense :thumbsup:

Phenotype posted:

That's what I thought we were gonna get!

I think we all did.

What we got was someone who was supposed to have spent the last decade and a half in the most brutal and effective martial arts school ever conceived, but came out as a mediocre kung fu hipster with stupid hair.

And now that I've finished the series I have this to say:

Danny Rand, you are the worst Iron Fist ever!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

RareAcumen posted:

That would've worked so much better. If Danny ended all his fights with regular goons immediately by doing some super quick crazy martial arts thing, then the actor's inability to do fights wouldn't have been as obvious.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Don't forget the plot beggar!

Hmmm, where should I beg for food? Should I go into the city? Maybe at a train station? No, I'll sit by some decrepit warehouse at the arse end of nowhere which also happens to be run by murderous ninjas. That makes perfect sense :thumbsup:

I want convenient plot-advancing homeless people to be a staple of the entire Iron Fist franchise.

Dudikoff
Mar 30, 2003

The Hand was billed as being an almost invincible evil force in Daredevil. Now in Iron Fist they've lowered the bar significantly to better match up with Danny. They'll probably get scary again once Daredevil comes back and Danny becomes his sidekick.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Dudikoff posted:

The Hand was billed as being an almost invincible evil force in Daredevil. Now in Iron Fist they've lowered the bar significantly to better match up with Danny. They'll probably get scary again once Daredevil comes back and Danny becomes his sidekick.

The Japanese Hand outsourced their work to the much shoddier Chinese Hand.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Well, we see there are different offshoots of Hands in this universe. There's like the The Real Hand, The Faux Hand, The Foe Hand, The Pepto-Bismol Officially Sponsored Hand, Hand 3(tm), etc.

Presumably Danny is fighting like the worst and the second worst Hands.

Netflix presents The HandS pitch: there's like 70 Hands all comprised of people who are essentially Starscream

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 27, 2017

ufarn
May 30, 2009

homullus posted:

She has some other videos from her training, so it looks as though she was doing a fair amount. She was a more convincing fighter than Mr. Fist was -- I can only assume she had some fight training from Game of Thrones? Or had some before that, and earning her that role?
She did Wushu for her first big TV gig, so she wasn't a complete stranger to it.

She's not like a Lewis Tan who just does it as an extracurricular for the past 15 years, though.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Danny had to beat a dragon in unarmed combat to even get his Iron Fist powers. By the transitive properties of kung fu inequality, the following characters could kill a dragon in unarmed combat:
-Harold Meachum
-Davos
-Bakuto
-Drunken Master
-Madame Gao
-Nameless man in a suit in the medical records office

This is by no means a comprehensive list.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

You got it all wrong. To gain the power of the iron fist, Danny had to satisfy the dragon.

By that I mean giving it a good backrub. Caves are rough place to live.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Hollismason posted:

Everything I am reading really does make it sound like unfortunately the show was doomed to fail really.

It really does feel, on nearly every level, like the product of people with no vision for or faith in the source material.

ufarn posted:

Well, there were the rampant rumors from 2015 that Marvel was having a lot of trouble finding a pitch they were willing to greenlight (by some accounts due to squeamishness about the supernatural elements), and we know (per Melissa Rosenberg) that the deal Marvel signed with Netflix in 2013 set dates by which the shows had to go into production. It seems likely that they ran out of time and just gave it to the first yes-man hack willing to agree to a rushed production schedule and to offer minimal pushback to what the higher-ups wanted, and that Buck's "talent" in that regard impressed them enough for them to offer him Inhumans.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I honestly don't think I'll ever truly understand the apparent massive fear of supernatural elements.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was thinking about it, and I realized that what this show really needs is some flashbacks to Danny's training. but then I realized that'd make it more like Arrow. And it's already pretty loving close to Arrow. I bet that's the exact reason there's no flashbacks, because they realized that'd make it too close to Arrow.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Speaking of dumb poo poo I didn't understand, what the poo poo was with Ward and the reporter in one of the earlier episodes? I thought for sure he was setting up some kind of bait and switch plan, but no, he actually just invited a reporter into his office, and started whining about how how a jerk was putting people's lives ahead of company profit like a doodoo head. This is what he called 'taking care of the nosy reporter'. And then he was all surprised and indignant when he read the headline the next day. Did I miss something?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

counterfeitsaint posted:

Speaking of dumb poo poo I didn't understand, what the poo poo was with Ward and the reporter in one of the earlier episodes? I thought for sure he was setting up some kind of bait and switch plan, but no, he actually just invited a reporter into his office, and started whining about how how a jerk was putting people's lives ahead of company profit like a doodoo head. This is what he called 'taking care of the nosy reporter'. And then he was all surprised and indignant when he read the headline the next day. Did I miss something?

He thought the headline would be "Idiot Tanks Company" because his character is incapable of seeing it any other way.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I thought for sure that he was just play acting an arrogant corporate rear end in a top hat to trick the reporter into writing a glowing article about how good the new Rand was. Like, that the good publicity from Danny's munificent billionaire shtick and his miraculous return would pull the media's attention on to him, then Ward and the rest would use that as a screen to do something nefarious.

Turns out he really does give interviews while drunk and high.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Guy Goodbody posted:

I was thinking about it, and I realized that what this show really needs is some flashbacks to Danny's training. but then I realized that'd make it more like Arrow. And it's already pretty loving close to Arrow. I bet that's the exact reason there's no flashbacks, because they realized that'd make it too close to Arrow.

The other Netflix shows started in the middle of the titular character being themselves and then used flashbacks to give the origin. Iron Fist would have done well to be different and start with Danny training in K'un-Lun. Let us get to know the world of Heavenly martial arts training, followed by Danny becoming the Iron Fist. Then the second half of the season is his return to New York and fighting The Hand. That way you can front load the show with a bunch of extras who already know martial arts while you try and figure out what to do with your lead who's got a month or so of training under his belt.

I mean, that's if you want to work almost exactly the same and not take some time to train your lead or at least have him thoroughly practice your fight choreography.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Why does Joy, who loves Danny, want him dead at the end of the series? Danny already said he doesn't want a decision making role in Rand, so he won't be screwing up the business. Is Davos's argument that trouble tends to follow Danny seriously going to compel her to have him murdered?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Weren't all the other monks bald ? And why did Danny still have hair when he faced the Dragon?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Rand walking into the dojo and yelling at all the students was a really embarrassing scene for the show, Rand actor, and everyone involved

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Rand walking into the dojo and yelling at all the students was a really embarrassing scene for the show, Rand actor, and everyone involved

this scene started and i immediately closed the stream and didn't bother watching any more

at first i thought there would be an overarching theme of mental illness and how it impacts people who are trying to do their best, kinda like how jessica jones went deep into the consequences of sexual abuse

imagine a danny rand that stays homeless, who initially loudly insists that he isn't like the other weirdo hobos but eventually comes to grips with the fact that witnessing his parents' deaths traumatized him in a way that earning magical kung fu powers can't fix. basically replace whatever bullshit happens after episode 3 with a close examination of the typical heroic origin story and how it might impact an actual human being

instead the homeless guy dies for no reason, and then the other mentally ill patients at the psych ward are actually thug murderers, and everybody takes danny rand seriously when he rants about random poo poo in karate class

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

SHOAH NUFF posted:

If nothing else, it was kind of funny. Danny's trying to do a scene straight out of old kung fu movies, and Colleen immediately calls him out for how stupid and insane it is. Granted it proceeds to go absolutely nowhere, but details.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
I finally got around to watching John Wick the other night. In every area that is relevant, Keanu was a better trained-his-entire-life-for-skill-and-enlightenment Kung Fu monk. Of course, it's not a fair comparison because Keanu loving rocks and Finn is useless, but drat, it was a stark juxtaposition after finishing Iron Fist last week.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Man of Tai Chi is a pretty good martial arts tournament film. Keanu directs it and​ plays the villain.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Oh Snapple! posted:

I honestly don't think I'll ever truly understand the apparent massive fear of supernatural elements.

I think by and large the Netflix series are trying to separate the underpowered/b-list heroes from the main franchise, which is probably a smart move, and also trying to make them semi-believable, which is also a smart move overall Some of the worst elements of the Marvel comics universe happen when they stick Daredevil, Moon Knight or often even Spiderman into a crazy cosmic "battling aliens on a distant planet" sort of story and try to mix in "street level" characters into a conflict between the Fantastic Four, Galactus and the Silver Surfer.

Supernatural, cosmic and intergalactic stories work best when you're going full on Jack Kirby poo poo and, generally speaking, separating character's stories by their power set is a good idea I feel. It's part of the reason I never cared for Batman and Superman crossovers or Spiderman's symbiote saga. It's a hard line to walk and, often, when you get too far out with "it's magic" it can lead to a lot of eye rolling inducing scenes if it's not handled properly.

From what I've gathered, having Danny literally punching a dragon in the heart to obtain his powers would have only made the series worse, especially given that he apparently doesn't come off as a "dragon puncher" in the least. Maybe if it were a stand alone series you could go full on batshit with Iron Fist and get crazy, but in the context and the universe of JJ, LC and DD a magic dragon would certainly push the limits of suspension of disbelief. They're already brushing right up to the edge of "Come the gently caress on" levels of bullshit with the magic ninjas, the giant hole, whatever the gently caress Black Sky is, ressurection and mind control. I think, in the context of what Netflix is trying to do, playing down the mystical stuff is wise.

These shows have worked best when they stay relatively grounded.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Once you've got magic zombie ninjas fighting a blind ninja and his future acquaintances, the bullet proof man and the superhumanly strong women, the magic dragon who gets punched line of believability has already been passed. I mean, magic kung fu heaven in an alternate dimension where a young boy learns to harness his chi and make his fist glow with an awesome power is by itself well past the realm of a single dragon cameo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I think I'm 4 or 5 episodes in, so I can say I gave it a chance.

It felt was a completely unaware send-up of some yet unknown 80's white dude martial arts movie played straight. In that sense, it was flawed but charming.

Part One (Episodes 1 - 3 or 4 ish) was just Danny Rand's Bogus Journey. After that, everything unraveled. Mostly because the acting shows it's true poo poo colors once the writers are shown to be incompetent at developing any sort of narrative or motivation for anything any character is doing at a given moment.