Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Das Boo posted:

I want to speculate!

So I'm positive the Horseman is Death. Specifically, this Death:

So firstly, the Horseman only shows up when death is being communicated. First with Jack's past, then the children he failed. It took visual center when Jack was wrestling himself with suicide and the notion was only entirely dismissed when the temple appeared in the mist over its shoulder, indicating another choice. Stalks him through the woods as he's bleeding out. Wham, bam, it's Death.

Now onto speculation! If this is indeed meant to be reminiscent of the tarot Death (with this being the most famous depiction, the Rider-Waite set), it has more significance than simply death, or an end. It also means rebirth and transition. And in the way tarot cards work, you propose a specific subject and play the cards as an answer. The core message of the Death tarot as an answer is "giving up all that is superficial and concentrating on what is basic, fundamental and truly important." So every time the Horseman appears, it's not only the looming option of death but a reminder that Jack is distracting himself from the absolute goal: Defeating Aku.
Furthermore is the use of the color green. Colors are always used as shorthand communication and green is a neat little color in that it has opposed meanings. It can mean evil, illness and death, but it can also stand for regeneration, growth and life. Given the context this clearly is meant to represent the former, but it does double down on that tarot idea by having the second implication hanging in the back. So while the Horseman is brought on by a looming obsession with Death (That's bad!), Jack ultimately uses it to change his way of thinking and find his way out of a dire situation. (That's good!)

He has antlers, making him a creature of Aku :viggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i think it's the dude who stole jack's sword and he's just taunting jack at every moment to be a dick

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Or perhaps the one who recovered it, intending to give it back. But if Jack lost hope alongside the sword, it could be he's waiting until Jack's back to his old self before considering him worthy of taking up the blade again.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

i think it's the dude who stole jack's sword and he's just taunting jack at every moment to be a dick

"Come on man, you know you want the Sword."

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

exmarx posted:

Shoulda killed Bambi's dad when we had the chance...

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Hypocrisy posted:

You people gotta stop killing Jack in your predictions. Jack will be fine. He's gonna go back to the past.

Roobanguy posted:

i believe in jack going back to the past.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Next 3 episode summaries from TV guide

Episode 4-Jack and Ashi escape a giant monster gut
Episode 5-Jack manages to lose her and goes on a solo adventure where he gets to be a hero again by saving a bunch of people from becoming Matrix batteries
Episode 6-Ashi searches for Jack and meets some of the people he's helped

Should be interesting, 10 is obviously the final battle.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

exmarx posted:

That actually brings up a good point. The horseman looks scary, and the antlers have made people think of Aku, but this episode made a point of showing that just because something has antlers doesn't mean it's associated with Aku or evil. The same probably holds true for this spectre.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
The specter, in a way, has snapped Jack out of his hallucinations, and lead him towards safety. Either by scaring him away, or drawing his attention to something.

Of course... there's always this theory

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Hypocrisy posted:

You people gotta stop killing Jack in your predictions. Jack will be fine. He's gonna go back to the past.

He's gotta get back.

Goons making up grimdark hero-death fantasies that fly in the face of logical storytelling is a tale as old as the forums.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Aaaaaaaaaaaa this show is SO drat GOOD.

Is it true that the next ep got postponed for a couple weeks?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

mandatory lesbian posted:

it's the scotsman and he's going to give Jack an earful about how he kept running from him like a pansy

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I'm pretty sure the horseman must be some aspect of Jack because it always appears with the rest of Jack's hallucinations (Ghost Dad, Ghost Mom, Ghost Young Jack). Blue Jack is a weird combination of guilt, honor, and... wanting to give up?

Slime posted:

That actually brings up a good point. The horseman looks scary, and the antlers have made people think of Aku, but this episode made a point of showing that just because something has antlers doesn't mean it's associated with Aku or evil. The same probably holds true for this spectre.

Also Samurai Jack is extremely color coded and the colors of Aku (black, red, or green) generally mark something as evil or dangerous.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I really think the jack's-blood-as-Aku floating down the river is an important tidbit to signify that Aku has now been a bigger part of Jack's life than his actual life.

Like he was between 25-35 when he gets blown into the future... and now he's in his 60-70's, eating squirrels and demolishing robots... and now Jack is finally forced to kill real people to do what he has to do.

He has stared into the abyss long enough, I think Antler Shogun Jack is a foregone conclusion. If it turns out to be some Darth Vader in a tree thing I'll be kinda let down.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

it's the scotsman and he's going to give Jack an earful about how he kept running from him like a pansy

i'm okay with this too

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
If Ashi becomes Jack's successor like people are predicting, then Jack's gonna go into a new sword.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Onmi posted:

The specter, in a way, has snapped Jack out of his hallucinations, and lead him towards safety. Either by scaring him away, or drawing his attention to something.

Of course... there's always this theory

That is just perfect.

I shouldn't have laughed my rear end off at this,but for some reason I did.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

mycot posted:

I'm pretty sure the horseman must be some aspect of Jack because it always appears with the rest of Jack's hallucinations (Ghost Dad, Ghost Mom, Ghost Young Jack). Blue Jack is a weird combination of guilt, honor, and... wanting to give up?

I think Blue Jack is mostly a Devil's Advocate figure who confronts him with whatever emotions he doesn't want to deal with.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Pants Donkey posted:

Did anyone feel this episode kiiiiiinda pushed the limits of Jack's own abilities? Takes a knife to the gut, bleeds while going down a river for who knows how long, takes the knife out, waits a while before doing a hasty, primitive stitch job, and then fought six well-trained ladies in the snow in his underwear.

It does imply that time had passed since then with his wound having healed, but...it didn't seem like the assassins took long to find him? I'll to watch it again, the snow was probably meant to imply that months had passed.

Well if he doesn't age maybe he also has very weak regen and invulnerability. Aku needs more skill points in time magic.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

WHY BONER NOW posted:

If Ashi becomes Jack's successor like people are predicting, then Jack's gonna go into a new sword.

Why do people keep saying this? Jack's Dad didn't fully become the sword or even like "live on" as an astral being or whatever inside of it. The original was forged from the "Righteous Energy within [Jack's Dad]", not even his soul.

I mean they could go with that. But Jack's/Jack's Dad's sword isn't some soul edge that houses the souls of the previous wielder.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Crazy fan theory time:

Ashi will get a copy of Jack's sword from another point in time, she will defeat Aku in the future while Jack defeats him in the past. We'll then find out that, due to Aku's time magic, he actually created a split timeline, so while Jack's past is saved from Aku's evil, the future he spent all those years in still exists.

The series ends with Jack finally living happily in the past with his family, while Ashi follows in his footsteps and works to make the future a better place without Aku.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
Better theory:

Jack will enlist the aid of Johnny Bravo, his long time pal from Cartoon Network interstitials. Aku will turn into a woman, like in that one episode where he turns into a woman to gently caress with Jack for no reason, and marry Johnny Bravo and everyone will live happily every after.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Best theory: Jack recovers his sword, partners with Ashi and kills Aku in the past. They both go through the Guardian's portal to the past and kill Aku in the past. Jack marries Ashi, they have lots of little samurai babies, and they all live happily ever after despite Goons being a bunch of angsty Negative Nancy's.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Hypothetically, would a possibly Samurai Ashi continuation (regardless of ending) be something that could possibly maintain the artistic values of Jack.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Nude posted:

Something to note in episode two, Jack looks out of a crack (when hiding from the woman warriors) sees the shadowy horse figure through the crack, and then run towards the figure. I might be reaching a bit here but I don't think Jack is afraid of the shadowy figure. I really like the way the shadowy figure is presented, you can't get a clear grasp on whether it's a good omen or bad one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uasQRYJnL6Y&t=80s

I forgot that part, makes it clear that the Green Samurai is in opposition of Blue Jack's goals, although with that shot it makes me wonder if the antlered one is the mission itself or maybe even the sword calling to Jack in a sense to continue on. When Jack gets excited and wants to go where the Green Samurai is or at least the temple in his direction, Blue Jack flips out because it isn't Jack giving in and giving up. When we first see Jack he's wearing a dark green shirt and leggings underneath all his other assorted not magic sword weapons and tools, armed to the teeth like the Green Samurai and with his own little mechanical horse just on the move, searching for the sword or just drifting along. It might be the part of him that still wants to go on with the fight, and in Jack's mental state, why not dress like and act like that silent warrior in the hope of continuing on somehow.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 27, 2017

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I hope ghost Jack becomes even more distorted and hilarious in the next episode. I cannot get enough of tall psychotic evil ghost jack.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I hope ghost Jack becomes even more distorted and hilarious in the next episode. I cannot get enough of tall psychotic evil ghost jack.

He had Aku's proportions this time.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Crain posted:

Why do people keep saying this? Jack's Dad didn't fully become the sword or even like "live on" as an astral being or whatever inside of it. The original was forged from the "Righteous Energy within [Jack's Dad]", not even his soul.

I mean they could go with that. But Jack's/Jack's Dad's sword isn't some soul edge that houses the souls of the previous wielder.

There's always the possibility that the sword needs to be reforged with righteous energy and Jack and Ashi both need to share their collective might to empower the sword and make it even stronger, enough to handle all the bullshit magic of Aku.

Onmi posted:

He had Aku's proportions this time.

Didn't Aku at one point possess Jack? It'd be kind of funny if that actually is a part of him that's been lingering and festering off of Jack over the 50 years he's not found that drat sword.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ms-UQI1Sv4

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

IronSaber posted:

Best theory: Jack recovers his sword, partners with Ashi and kills Aku in the past. They both go through the Guardian's portal to the past and kill Aku in the past. Jack marries Ashi, they have lots of little samurai babies, and they all live happily ever after despite Goons being a bunch of angsty Negative Nancy's.

would rather ashi be his worthy successor then lover, im not sure why that's angsty to you tho

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
yeah like i get where you're coming from but maaaaaaaaybe finishing my sci-fi samurai epic with 70 year old Jack marrying a psychologically damaged 16 year old girl (or whatever, even if she's 30 it's still weird) is not the classiest set of slippers to go out in.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
All I want is for Jack to get back to the past, kill Aku, and chill out for the rest of his life.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
The final fight should be Jack and Ashi vs both the Aku of the future and the Aku of the past at the same time.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Bust Rodd posted:

yeah like i get where you're coming from but maaaaaaaaybe finishing my sci-fi samurai epic with 70 year old Jack marrying a psychologically damaged 16 year old girl (or whatever, even if she's 30 it's still weird) is not the classiest set of slippers to go out in.

My thoughts exactly. Therapists are never allowed to date their clients until a number of years passed since they terminated the relationship; and if this story's going how it looks like it's going, Jack's going to basically be put in the therapist role.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 28, 2017

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Crain posted:

:shrug: Eh I dunno, I'm not well versed in the lore of the series, but it seems like an obvious way to bookend things, especially if Jack is going to pass the mantle. It would be interesting if they were told definitively "the sword is gone forever" and had to make a new one.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I'm thinking that the next episode will be the start of Jack starting to hunt for his sword now that he's found his groove again.

Comedy option: the Daughters of Aku matriarch has had it all this time, somehow.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Ghost Jack was super cool and stylish this episode and made me want some kind of more traditional samurai story with similarly exaggerated characters. Like I was watching that Jack and just thought it looked absolutely perfect for that sort of thing.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Regalingualius posted:

I'm thinking that the next episode will be the start of Jack starting to hunt for his sword now that he's found his groove again.

Comedy option: the Daughters of Aku matriarch has had it all this time, somehow.

Someone earlier thought it would be cool if, just as Jack closes in on the sword, Aku learns he doesn't have it and rushes to Jack and there's a tense race. Judging from the storytelling talent we've seen in just these three episodes, that would be loving awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Someone earlier thought it would be cool if, just as Jack closes in on the sword, Aku learns he doesn't have it and rushes to Jack and there's a tense race. Judging from the storytelling talent we've seen in just these three episodes, that would be loving awesome.
Oh yeah, I'm all in for this being basically the climax of the series. Or at the very least, Aku finding out Jack doesn't have the sword and the tables being turned, Aku looks everywhere searching for Jack and Jack having to do everything to avoid him until he finds the sword.

• Locked thread