Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LGD
Sep 25, 2004

loquacius posted:

Can someone tell me what "invented controversy" even means

Like, theoretically it means "astroturfed controversy", like, a Fox News guy says "everyone is mad about this arugula thing" on TV and everyone thinks everyone's mad even though no one is actually mad. But what does it mean when you tell actual grassroots, like, non-media people, that this thing they are mad about is an invented controversy, apart from "I don't care about this thing so you shouldn't either"

That's basically it, though it can also mean "I think your apparent concern over the controversy is largely driven by your pre-existing animus towards the people in question rather than your genuine level of interest in the principles involved." That can be a little insulting, but it's very frequently accurate- grassroots, non-media people are hardly immune to hypocrisy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

LGD posted:

"I think your apparent concern over the controversy is largely driven by your pre-existing animus towards the people in question rather than your genuine level of interest in the principles involved."

Yup.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

LGD posted:

That's basically it, though it can also mean "I think your apparent concern over the controversy is largely driven by your pre-existing animus towards the people in question rather than your genuine level of interest in the principles involved." That can be a little insulting, but it's very frequently accurate- grassroots, non-media people are hardly immune to hypocrisy.

Your answer and your explanation are both really condescending but ok

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Bip Roberts posted:

Don't know about directly promoting misery in Buffalo will endear him too much.

Schumer is at like EVERY big state school graduation around here, and a lot of private ones. I honestly don't know how he finds the time, I've seen him every single time I've gone to a graduation.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

loquacius posted:

But what does it mean when you tell actual grassroots, like, non-media people, that this thing they are mad about is an invented controversy, apart from "I don't care about this thing so you shouldn't either"

a little more accurate is "i don't get why this is a thing so i don't care and you shouldn't either"

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star

LGD posted:

This animus goes both ways, however, so surely you can see how this just isn't an especially productive avenue of discussion.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
If Hillary was made out of cheese, would you eat her?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

got any sevens posted:

If Hillary was made out of cheese, would you eat her?

Yes, but only because my Midwest roots obligate me to eat any and all cheese available to me.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Lol they're tacking even more rightward?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

It's 2017. Teen Vogue, Marriam Webster, Charles Schumer (!?), Bernie Sanders, Mad Dog "Actually Sane" Mattis, and somehow the Freedom Caucus are the final, flimsy obstacles holding back Full Fascism, more or less incidentally.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

where's that "*looks in a mirror* we gotta get more racist" tweet

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

got any sevens posted:

Lol they're tacking even more rightward?

Dunno where you got that from

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I don't know who bought me this awesome avatar, but I'm assuming you read this thread so - Thanks! It's awesome!

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
it was me i bought it

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
someone else might claim they bought it, but i'd like to see them prove it. fake news.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Ace of Baes posted:

Remember all the misleading pics of Hillary campaigning then they'd zoom out and itd be an empty warehouse.

do you think they handed out more than 5 flyers at those rallies or is that still the high water mark that you've set for sparking the revolution?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

zegermans posted:

do you think they handed out more than 5 flyers at those rallies or is that still the high water mark that you've set for sparking the revolution?

knowing hillary, you prolly had to pay to attend

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
yardsigns

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
what's that joke about "madam, we've already established what you are, we're just negotiating the price"?

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/03/the-left-not-the-right-saved-obamacare.html

quote:

The most telling statement about the bill’s defeat came from Senator Bill Cassidy, a Louisiana Republican and an unexpected source of opposition. “There’s a widespread recognition that the federal government, Congress, has created the right for every American to have health care,” Cassidy told the New York Times.

Seems like ACA was a major victory in shifting that Overton window

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
someone figured out what really lost Hillary the election

being pro-abortion

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Speaking of healthcare in Louisiana -

https://twitter.com/taniel/status/846515441002516480

Hard to know what to make of John Bel Edwards. He's done a lot of hosed up stuff but Medicaid expansion was a huge victory.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

GalacticAcid posted:

Hard to know what to make of John Bel Edwards. He's done a lot of hosed up stuff but Medicaid expansion was a huge victory.

well jindal did leave the state literally penniless

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

GalacticAcid posted:

i'm glad he saved thousands of lives

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Jazerus posted:

well jindal did leave the state literally penniless

Yeah Jindal was horrific. I was thinking specifically of Edwards's actions against abortion access and the Blue Lives Matter bill.

Concerned Citizen posted:

i'm glad he saved thousands of lives

In that end that's my takeaway as well.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
dangit bobby

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Grondoth posted:

Schumer is at like EVERY big state school graduation around here, and a lot of private ones. I honestly don't know how he finds the time, I've seen him every single time I've gone to a graduation.

It's true. When I graduated grad school he spoke at both my ceremony and, I'm told, the undergrads the following day. Supposedly he does so every year, who knew.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSq0qyYWKG8

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

Bip Roberts posted:

Everyone is always genuinely angry.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

what's that joke about "madam, we've already established what you are, we're just negotiating the price"?

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/03/the-left-not-the-right-saved-obamacare.html

Seems like ACA was a major victory in shifting that Overton window

America finally entering the 1890s. Can't wait for paid family sick leave in 2290.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

zegermans posted:

They didn't hand out any flyers, just signs, and they were really bad, I know because I went to them while working on the Hillary Campaign.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
It's pretty bad Dem to try to shame someone for going out into their local community and talking to people and getting them politically active.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ace of Baes posted:

It's pretty bad Dem to try to shame someone for going out into their local community and talking to people and getting them politically active.

You know who else went out into their local community and talked to people and got them politically active?

Albert Einstein

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro

turns out polling companies were supposed to count all the people who just yell trump into the phone and then hang up before getting to the survey

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
ya p much

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Who would you rather be stuck on an island with, hill or chelsea? I vote suicide, or Kim Coats, since I just had a dream about starving on a sailboat.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

got any sevens posted:

Who would you rather be stuck on an island with, hill or chelsea? I vote suicide, or Kim Coats, since I just had a dream about starving on a sailboat.

Hillary

So I could ask her lots of questions

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

got any sevens posted:

for the good of mankind i will take both with me, just remember my sacrifice

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Is there spinach growing on the island?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

someone figured out what really lost Hillary the election

being pro-abortion

You ever wish an op-ed was being presented to you as a live speech onstage so that you could throw rotten tomatoes at the writer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

paranoid randroid posted:

twitter seems to have been a net negative in the long run, so im behind this

yea like as a whole....

its not good no, i hate it~

it is our black mirror

• Locked thread